Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is TE the need we think it is?

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 02:43 PM by B2hibry.)

Huge need in my opinion. I think if you look at the last few division champs and Super Bowl contenders, there aren't many that had a true #1 receiver. They had a strong TE that allowed them to take the pressure off the WRs and to open the run game up. Do we take one at #7? Not sure, but in this age of football, I think it is up there with OL. I think you have to trust that whichever is there that it is the best selection for your team and needs. It will be interesting and I think there will be some disappointed and some okay with the selection but nothing splash worthy. My opinion, you take the top TE over that Florida product that has been mocked to fill a spot on the OL. Definitely UF gun shy at this point and I don't seem him as the best available.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 02:36 PM by knarnn.)

(04-19-2019, 11:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 11:25 AM)Firesky Wrote: 2 questions:

1) Is TE more or less of a Need than Offensive Tackle (Right Tackle AND Left Tackle) this is assuming that Cam Robinson isn't fully recovered from his torn ACL going into week 1. If we remember Kelvin Beachum wasn't back to his previous level of play in that year he played here coming off an ACL tear.

2) Is Hockenson a transcendent talent at TE? Is he SOOO much better than Irv Smith, Noah Fant etc. that he's a "must pick" at #7 regardless of other needs or players available?
1.  I think TE and RT are our 2 biggest needs.  I think we can get a RT in the 2nd.  I'd go BAP between the 2 and Hockenson is the BAP imo

2.  Yes, I think he is the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis and a lot of others fell the same way. If you look back over the last 20 years or so elite TEs help their QBs out tremendously.  I think Smith can be a good TE but not elite.  Fant is a good pass catcher  but I'd rather take one of the top WR if we go that route, like Metcalf or Brown.. Hockenson will not only help in the passing game but will open holes I'm the run game for Fournette also.  TEs like Hockenson don't come around often and he would be our best TE in franchise history and a huge hole since Lewis left.

Since you brought it up I’ve been doing some high level research on this very thing. Care to venture how many “elite” TE’s were top 10 picks? How about how many 1st round TE’s eclipsed 500 yards or more receiving in their rookie years? How about how many 2nd-5th round TE’s in the league right now do you think are considering upper echelon compared to their 1st round counterparts?

I like Hockenson, but I believe he will be considered a huge reach at #7.

(04-19-2019, 02:28 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Huge need in my opinion. I think if you look at the last few division champs and Super Bowl contenders, there aren't many that had a true #1 receiver. They had a strong TE that allowed them to take the pressure off the WRs and to open the run game up. Do we take one at #7? Not sure, but in this age of football, I think it is up there with OL. I think you have to trust that whichever is there that it is the best selection for your team and needs. It will be interesting and I think there will be some disappointed and some okay but nothing splash worthy. My opinion, you take the top TE over that Florida product that has been mocked to fill a spot on the  OL. Definitely UF gun shy at this point and I don't seem him as the best available.
Nightmare scenario-

If the choice is Hockenson or Taylor I’m taking Hock all day. Taylor can go bust on some other team.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 02:45 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

Originally was disappointed in talk of OL at 7, but I'm on board with it. Keep hearing how deep TE is in this draft and if true means we could go to the well there in the 2nd or maybe 3rd and still come out with a very good prospect. I'm on the Risner wagon in the 1st. I don't see any projections of him in the top 10 so I'm guessing the majority opinion is 7 is too high for him, but I wouldn't be upset if we decide to take him there. Hopefully we can trade back into the early to mid teens, still land him and get an extra pick. I don't think he'll make it past the Giants or Panthers at 16 or 17 respectively. If not OL, give me another DT/DE in the 1st.

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 02:57 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-19-2019, 02:34 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 11:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1.  I think TE and RT are our 2 biggest needs.  I think we can get a RT in the 2nd.  I'd go BAP between the 2 and Hockenson is the BAP imo

2.  Yes, I think he is the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis and a lot of others fell the same way. If you look back over the last 20 years or so elite TEs help their QBs out tremendously.  I think Smith can be a good TE but not elite.  Fant is a good pass catcher  but I'd rather take one of the top WR if we go that route, like Metcalf or Brown.. Hockenson will not only help in the passing game but will open holes I'm the run game for Fournette also.  TEs like Hockenson don't come around often and he would be our best TE in franchise history and a huge hole since Lewis left.

Since you brought it up I’ve been doing some high level research on this very thing. Care to venture how many “elite” TE’s were top 10 picks? How about how many 1st round TE’s eclipsed 500 yards or more receiving in their rookie years? How about how many 2nd-5th round TE’s in the league right now do you think are considering upper echelon compared to their 1st round counterparts?

(04-19-2019, 02:28 PM)B2hibry Wrote: Huge need in my opinion. I think if you look at the last few division champs and Super Bowl contenders, there aren't many that had a true #1 receiver. They had a strong TE that allowed them to take the pressure off the WRs and to open the run game up. Do we take one at #7? Not sure, but in this age of football, I think it is up there with OL. I think you have to trust that whichever is there that it is the best selection for your team and needs. It will be interesting and I think there will be some disappointed and some okay but nothing splash worthy. My opinion, you take the top TE over that Florida product that has been mocked to fill a spot on the  OL. Definitely UF gun shy at this point and I don't seem him as the best available.
Nightmare scenario-

If the choice is Hockenson or Taylor I’m taking Hock all day. Taylor can go bust on some other team.

Not many TEs have been selected in the top 10 period.  Not many have been as good as the prospect Hockenson was either.  The elite TEs that have been in the game the last 20 or so years like Gates, Gronk, Gonzalez, Kelce, Kittle etc.  do you think those teams in the top 10 regret not picking those guys? We should of taken Kelce with the 2nd pick overall instead of the Joke and looking back it would of been a great pick. Hindsight 20/20

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 03:13 PM by Dewboy01.)

(04-19-2019, 02:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 02:34 PM)knarnn Wrote: Since you brought it up I’ve been doing some high level research on this very thing. Care to venture how many “elite” TE’s were top 10 picks? How about how many 1st round TE’s eclipsed 500 yards or more receiving in their rookie years? How about how many 2nd-5th round TE’s in the league right now do you think are considering upper echelon compared to their 1st round counterparts?

Nightmare scenario-

Not many TEs have been selected in the top 10 period.  Not many have been as good as the prospect Hockenson was either.  The elite TEs that have been in the game the last 20 or so years like Gates, Gronk, Gonzalez, Kelce, Kittle etc.  do you think those teams in the top 10 regret not picking those guys?

Teams in the top ten can't really regret not picking most of those guys because none were considered (by anyone) to be elite can't miss prospects. Look at where those elite TEs were selected - it's just more proof that you can wait to get a good one after the 1st round:

Gates - undrafted
Gonzalez - 1st round
Kelce - 3rd round
Kittle - 5th round
Ertz - 2nd round
Gronk - 2nd round
Graham - 3rd round
Witten - 3rd round

The only top ten TEs really were Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow, both of whom had some good years but never became that elite TE.  I'd rather go OLine or DLine in the 1st and TE in the 2nd or 3rd.

(04-19-2019, 12:13 PM)Upper Wrote: TE is the #1 need on the team, but we can get a good one later..I think the early 3rd is the sweet spot to get the left over of Sternberger, Knox, Warring, or Oliver. Other than McGary or Winovich I do not think we can get a good OT or DL after 7.

I think Sternberger and Knox will be taken in round 2. Warring and Oliver are HUGE downgrades from Hockenson.

(04-19-2019, 03:11 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 02:48 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not many TEs have been selected in the top 10 period.  Not many have been as good as the prospect Hockenson was either.  The elite TEs that have been in the game the last 20 or so years like Gates, Gronk, Gonzalez, Kelce, Kittle etc.  do you think those teams in the top 10 regret not picking those guys?

Teams in the top ten can't really regret not picking most of those guys because none were considered (by anyone) to be elite can't miss prospects.  Look at where those elite TEs were selected - it's just more proof that you can wait to get a good one after the 1st round:

Gates - undrafted
Gonzalez - 1st round
Kelce - 3rd round
Kittle - 5th round
Ertz - 2nd round
Gronk - 2nd round
Graham - 3rd round
Witten - 3rd round

The only top ten TEs really were Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow, both of whom had some good years but never became that elite TE.  I'd rather go OLine or DLine in the 1st and TE in the 2nd or 3rd.

You trying to tell me every team in the league don't regret passing on Ray Lewis, Tom Brady, Ed Redd etc. just because teams didn't have them as elite cant miss prospects?  You have a redraft and they will all go early.  If Hockenson turns out to be elite like most think, it's a good pick.  You don't take Hockenson unless you think he will be elite.

I think OT, DE, TE, S, WR, LB are our needs in order.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(04-19-2019, 03:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 03:11 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote: Teams in the top ten can't really regret not picking most of those guys because none were considered (by anyone) to be elite can't miss prospects.  Look at where those elite TEs were selected - it's just more proof that you can wait to get a good one after the 1st round:

Gates - undrafted
Gonzalez - 1st round
Kelce - 3rd round
Kittle - 5th round
Ertz - 2nd round
Gronk - 2nd round
Graham - 3rd round
Witten - 3rd round

You trying to tell me every team in the league don't regret passing on Ray Lewis, Tom Brady, Ed Redd etc. just because teams didn't have them as elite cant miss prospects?  You have a redraft and they will all go early.  If Hockenson turns out to be elite like most think, it's a good pick.  You don't take Hockenson unless you think he will be elite.

Your last sentence is completely accurate - you don't take Hockenson unless you think he will be elite - Obviously not a single NFL team thought Gates, Kelce, Kittle, Ertz, Gronk, Graham, Witten were going to be elite, otherwise they would have been selected in the 1st round. Your argument is disingenuous in that you can go back to every draft and find players that outperformed where they were selected - but that has nothing to do with who we select in the 1st round because you could do that same thing for every position, not just TE.  You make the selection based on who you think will become elite (especially if you're picking as high as we are) not on who you might have "missed" in previous years.  By using your argument, I can go back and find Oline and Dline players that were selected later than the 1st round and use that to somehow justify taking those positions early - because every team "regrets" not taking those players.....

(04-19-2019, 03:42 PM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 03:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You trying to tell me every team in the league don't regret passing on Ray Lewis, Tom Brady, Ed Redd etc. just because teams didn't have them as elite cant miss prospects?  You have a redraft and they will all go early.  If Hockenson turns out to be elite like most think, it's a good pick.  You don't take Hockenson unless you think he will be elite.

Your last sentence is completely accurate - you don't take Hockenson unless you think he will be elite - Obviously not a single NFL team thought Gates, Kelce, Kittle, Ertz, Gronk, Graham, Witten were going to be elite, otherwise they would have been selected in the 1st round. Your argument is disingenuous in that you can go back to every draft and find players that outperformed where they were selected - but that has nothing to do with who we select in the 1st round because you could do that same thing for every position, not just TE.  You make the selection based on who you think will become elite (especially if you're picking as high as we are) not on who you might have "missed" in previous years.  By using your argument, I can go back and find Oline and Dline players that were selected later than the 1st round and use that to somehow justify taking those positions early - because every team "regrets" not taking those players.....

Exactly, that's why I named players from other positions.  If you take Hockenson and he becomes an All Pro it was a good pick.  If he becomes a great TE that also means he probably made the QB better which is key.  Just because TEs drafted high in the past were busta doesn't mean Hockenson will.  And just because in the past teams got All Pros in the mid rounds doesn't mean you can get one this year.  Every year is different but we should find out in less than a week what happens

Is it a major need?
Yes.
Can it be addressed in the 2nd round?
Yes.
QB or pass rusher in the 1st please.
Lineman can be addressed in the 3rd or later rounds.
As well as safety and RB.
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

(04-19-2019, 11:35 AM)KingJones Wrote: Picking TE would be HUGE mistake.  You can find good talent in later rounds.  Two of the best TE's in the NFL were 2nd and 3rd round picks.  I wouldn't either go with tackle at 7 since there isn't anyone that stand out.  Montez Sweat should be our pick if he's available.
You can easily make the same point about tackle, especially RT.  There are 2 that stick out, however.

To be clear, Gronkowski went r2 because of injury. Kelce had character issues. Kittle has surprised many folks. Graham and Gates were crossover projects. We tried this to an extent with Zach Miller, who couldn’t stay healthy.

Hockenson has none of these issues, and no one is going to fault us drafting him there, when they are putting him anywhere to the 7-20 range anyway.

Bottom line he is the pick that can add the most value to this team tomorrow and going forward.

We haven't seriously addressed the TE position in 13 years. How many times do I need to tell you people this fact. So frustrating. 
[Image: d83.png]
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(This post was last modified: 04-19-2019, 08:45 PM by TJBender.)

Hockensen is severely overrated by some on here. If you're going to draft a tight end seventh overall, the dude better be Gronk. Hockensen is not Gronk. He's a guy who's going to be a solid starter for a long time, but you can find long-term solid starters at tight end in later rounds. If you're going to draft a tight end in the top ten, you'd better be convinced that he's the second coming of Kellen Winslow, Dave Casper or Tony Gonzalez. Is Hockenson that player? Or could you draft a guy in the second or third round and let him learn for a year, then have him be just as good as Hockensen ends up being?

(04-19-2019, 08:45 PM)TJBender Wrote: Hockensen is severely overrated by some on here. If you're going to draft a tight end seventh overall, the dude better be Gronk. Hockensen is not Gronk. He's a guy who's going to be a solid starter for a long time, but you can find long-term solid starters at tight end in later rounds. If you're going to draft a tight end in the top ten, you'd better be convinced that he's the second coming of Kellen Winslow, Dave Casper or Tony Gonzalez. Is Hockenson that player? Or could you draft a guy in the second or third round and let him learn for a year, then have him be just as good as Hockensen ends up being?

Scouts and analysts on ESPN and other sports shows are calling him a Gronk clone. I think he will be elite. Especially in the system that Defilippo runs.

(04-19-2019, 11:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 11:25 AM)Firesky Wrote: 2 questions:

1) Is TE more or less of a Need than Offensive Tackle (Right Tackle AND Left Tackle) this is assuming that Cam Robinson isn't fully recovered from his torn ACL going into week 1. If we remember Kelvin Beachum wasn't back to his previous level of play in that year he played here coming off an ACL tear.

2) Is Hockenson a transcendent talent at TE? Is he SOOO much better than Irv Smith, Noah Fant etc. that he's a "must pick" at #7 regardless of other needs or players available?
1.  I think TE and RT are our 2 biggest needs.  I think we can get a RT in the 2nd.  I'd go BAP between the 2 and Hockenson is the BAP imo

2.  Yes, I think he is the best TE prospect since Vernon Davis and a lot of others fell the same way. If you look back over the last 20 years or so elite TEs help their QBs out tremendously.  I think Smith can be a good TE but not elite.  Fant is a good pass catcher  but I'd rather take one of the top WR if we go that route, like Metcalf or Brown.. Hockenson will not only help in the passing game but will open holes I'm the run game for Fournette also.  TEs like Hockenson don't come around often and he would be our best TE in franchise history and a huge hole since Lewis left.

He isn't even close to being the prospect that Vernon Davis was.. Geez, are people forgetting the physical specimen and athlete he was..

Hockenson at #7 and best available OT at #38.

(This post was last modified: 04-20-2019, 02:49 AM by TurndownforWatt.)

(04-19-2019, 12:13 PM)Upper Wrote: TE is the #1 need on the team, but we can get a good one later..I think the early 3rd is the sweet spot to get the left over of Sternberger, Knox, Warring, or Oliver. Other than McGary or Winovich I do not think we can get a good OT or DL after 7.

Honestly I'm happy with Jordan Thomas and we got him in the 6th round last draft.. (Owen Daniels was a 4th rounder also)

The TEs are out there guys.. you have to find them.  Spending a top 10 pick on a non top 3-5 premium position.. craziness.

Guess some people didn't learn with the Fournette selection.

(04-20-2019, 02:46 AM)PortDawgJags808 Wrote: Hockenson at #7 and best available OT at #38.

Agreed.