Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 7th pick in the 2019 NFL draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...

(04-24-2019, 01:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 01:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Honestly, if the Jags don't take Hockenson at #7 and they trade back, I could see him slipping to them at 13 or 15. TEs almost always slip further than you think they will. Let's say Washington wants Haskins and they give up their 2nd rounder plus a 4th for him.

7. Washington- Haskins
8. Lions- Ferrell
9. Buffalo- Metcalf
10. Broncos- Taylor
11. Bengals- Jonah Williams
12. GB- Dillard
13. Miami- Burns
14. ATL- Cody Ford
15. Jags- Hockenson

Then with their 2 2's they take a G/T and Harry
Most TE prospects aren't as good as TJ though. No way do I see Hockenson making it to 15 when every one of those teams could use a TE
The NFL is very much about positional value. I love Hockenson and think he will be a great pro but at the same time, the NFL values pass rushers and tackles over TEs. Not to mention if there is a small run on QBs? Throw in Lock to Bengals or Miami and Hockenson moves down even further.

This is not a knock on Hockenson but more of how most NFL teams think.

I wouldn't be shocked if Hockenson went 7 or 8 but I also wouldn't be shocked if he fell to 15.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 01:17 PM by Caldrac.)

Montez Sweat, DE - Mississippi State. He's JPP 2.0. It's rare you find freak athletes at this position. It's even more rare to find freak athletes with the actual production on paper to support their freak athletic ability. His condition is also starting to peel back a little bit and it's not nearly as terrible as initially thought.

I would be happy with this selection. And wouldn't even bat an eye at it tomorrow night if they went in this direction. I would feel the same way about Ed Oliver out of Houston as well.

This is a defensive loaded first half in this year's draft. There's some offensive players here and there. But I don't want to see them reach just for the sake of having a guy at a position based on need. If Sweat is a monster off the edge or Oliver is a disruptive force within the interior? Take them. I would love to see a trade down though. I think we have a ton of holes on offense still. The more options we have going into Friday and Saturday the better.

(04-24-2019, 01:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 01:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Most TE prospects aren't as good as TJ though. No way do I see Hockenson making it to 15 when every one of those teams could use a TE
The NFL is very much about positional value. I love Hockenson and think he will be a great pro but at the same time, the NFL values pass rushers and tackles over TEs. Not to mention if there is a small run on QBs? Throw in Lock to Bengals or Miami and Hockenson moves down even further.

I wouldn't be shocked if Hockenson went 7 or 8 but I also wouldn't be shocked if he fell to 15.

O.J Howard was graded much higher coming out of Alabama and he played in a tougher conference. He ended up slipping to Tampa Bay at 19 or 20 I think. I like Hockenson as well. But 7th overall just seems extremely steep to take him there. He's well rounded, he'll block, etc. 

If they went OT there and it's at RT I would be bummed out though. Would rather see Hockenson if that's the case. A trade down would be awesome too. And I agree. Good chance he's there with a trade down just based on how loaded this class is on defense from a pass rushing perspective. And OT's are favored more.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-24-2019, 01:14 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Montez Sweat, DE - Mississippi State. He's JPP 2.0. It's rare you find freak athletes at this position. It's even more rare to find freak athletes with the actual production on paper to support their freak athletic ability. His condition is also starting to peel back a little bit and it's not nearly as terrible as initially thought.

I would be happy with this selection. And wouldn't even bat an eye at it tomorrow night if they went in this direction. I would feel the same way about Ed Oliver out of Houston as well.

This is a defensive loaded first half in this year's draft. There's some offensive players here and there. But I don't want to see them reach just for the sake of having a guy at a position based on need. If Sweat is a monster off the edge or Oliver is a disruptive force within the interior? Take them. I would love to see a trade down though. I think we have a ton of holes on offense still. The more options we have going into Friday and Saturday the better.

(04-24-2019, 01:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: The NFL is very much about positional value. I love Hockenson and think he will be a great pro but at the same time, the NFL values pass rushers and tackles over TEs. Not to mention if there is a small run on QBs? Throw in Lock to Bengals or Miami and Hockenson moves down even further.

O.J Howard was graded much higher coming out of Alabama and he played in a tougher conference. He ended up slipping to Tampa Bay at 19 or 20 I think. I like Hockenson as well. But 7th overall just seems extremely steep to take him there. He's well rounded, he'll block, etc. 

If they went OT there and it's at RT I would be bummed out though. Would rather see Hockenson if that's the case. A trade down would be awesome too. And I agree. Good chance he's there with a trade down just based on how loaded this class is on defense from a pass rushing perspective. And OT's are favored more.

Howard wasn't rated higher than Hockenson.  Hockenson is number 4 on Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 over Ed Oliver.  He was top 5 on Brooks top 50 also.  Where was Howard? Not 1 or 2.  As much as I liked Howard,  Hockenson is better

(04-24-2019, 02:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 01:14 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Montez Sweat, DE - Mississippi State. He's JPP 2.0. It's rare you find freak athletes at this position. It's even more rare to find freak athletes with the actual production on paper to support their freak athletic ability. His condition is also starting to peel back a little bit and it's not nearly as terrible as initially thought.

Howard wasn't rated higher than Hockenson.  Hockenson is number 4 on Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 over Ed Oliver.  He was top 5 on Brooks top 50 also.  Where was Howard? Not 1 or 2.  As much as I liked Howard,  Hockenson is better

I think the rankings I read came from outside the NFL's analysts. I like Hockenson as well. But I feel like you're getting a Kyle Brady type out of him. Which is fitting because the Jets took Kyle Brady 9th overall in his draft class. I just have a hard time seeing TE's going in the top 10. It's hit or miss with that position with them going that early. 

Kellen Winslow and Vernon Davis were 6th overall selections respectively. And they had "okay" careers considering a lot of high's and low's. But I feel like neither one of those guys really lived up to the hype completely. They would flash one year here and one year there but most of their careers are very much forgettable. 

Guys like Kelce, Ertz, Kittle, Gronkowski, Gates, Graham, Witten, Sharpe, etc. All of those guys were either drafted a bit later on and had or are currently having hall of fame type careers or putting up single season records at the position that are eye popping on paper. I just think taking Hockenson there is too much to ask. 

If they trade out of the top 10 and still land him? Awesome. But unless this front office sees Hockenson as a dominating blocker and also a guy that's capable of catching 60+ passes every year and cracking close to that 700+ yards through the air with close to double digit TD's at the end of each and every season I just don't see how that 7th overall pick is justified on him. He may not even be the best TE out of Iowa. Noah Fant may prove to be the better prospect 2 - 3 years from now.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-24-2019, 02:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 02:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Howard wasn't rated higher than Hockenson.  Hockenson is number 4 on Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 over Ed Oliver.  He was top 5 on Brooks top 50 also.  Where was Howard? Not 1 or 2.  As much as I liked Howard,  Hockenson is better

I think the rankings I read came from outside the NFL's analysts. I like Hockenson as well. But I feel like you're getting a Kyle Brady type out of him. Which is fitting because the Jets took Kyle Brady 9th overall in his draft class. I just have a hard time seeing TE's going in the top 10. It's hit or miss with that position with them going that early. 

Kellen Winslow and Vernon Davis were 6th overall selections respectively. And they had "okay" careers considering a lot of high's and low's. But I feel like neither one of those guys really lived up to the hype completely. They would flash one year here and one year there but most of their careers are very much forgettable. 

Guys like Kelce, Ertz, Kittle, Gronkowski, Gates, Graham, Witten, Sharpe, etc. All of those guys were either drafted a bit later on and had or are currently having hall of fame type careers or putting up single season records at the position that are eye popping on paper. I just think taking Hockenson there is too much to ask. 

If they trade out of the top 10 and still land him? Awesome. But unless this front office sees Hockenson as a dominating blocker and also a guy that's capable of catching 60+ passes every year and cracking close to that 700+ yards through the air with close to double digit TD's at the end of each and every season I just don't see how that 7th overall pick is justified on him. He may not even be the best TE out of Iowa. Noah Fant may prove to be the better prospect 2 - 3 years from now.

All those TEs you named that are having HOF careers, you don't think most of those teams that picked in the top 10 those years wishes they did take them?  

Just because I guy picked in the top 10 in the past means nothing, you can say that at every position.  Of course you don't take him at 7 unless you think he will be an All Pro but I bet they do.   Saying Fant might be better in 2 or 3 years I can name a guy at every position in this draft you can say that for.  It just depends on how good they think he will be and most think he's gonna be a great TE

End of the day I'd be happy with anyone of:

N. Bosa
Q. Williams
E. Oliver
T.J. Hockenson
J. Allen
D. Haskins

One of these guys will most likely be there @ 7 as long as Murray goes before.

(04-24-2019, 03:27 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: End of the day I'd be happy with anyone of:

N. Bosa
Q. Williams
E. Oliver
T.J. Hockenson
J. Allen
D. Haskins

Murray is all but a done deal at this point so it's very likely at least 1 of those guys will be there.

(04-24-2019, 03:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 02:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think the rankings I read came from outside the NFL's analysts. I like Hockenson as well. But I feel like you're getting a Kyle Brady type out of him. Which is fitting because the Jets took Kyle Brady 9th overall in his draft class. I just have a hard time seeing TE's going in the top 10. It's hit or miss with that position with them going that early. 

All those TEs you named that are having HOF careers, you don't think most of those teams that picked in the top 10 those years wishes they did take them?  

Just because I guy picked in the top 10 in the past means nothing, you can say that at every position.  Of course you don't take him at 7 unless you think he will be an All Pro but I bet they do.   Saying Fant might be better in 2 or 3 years I can name a guy at every position in this draft you can say that for.  It just depends on how good they think he will be and most think he's gonna be a great TE

A lot of those guys I listed didn't put up monster statistics in college though. That's why the TE position is unique and hard to gauge for most scouts. Gates and Graham were undrafted I believe and were known for their basketball skills coming out of college. 

Kittle's ridiculous season in 2018 is probably the reason why Hockenson and Fant are getting so much attention now because Kittle has turned out to be a better player for the 49ER's than he was at Iowa for the Hawkeye's. That's also normal. A lot of players turn out being better PRO's than college players. 

It's an interesting position. I love the position. I wish we used the position the same way the Chiefs, Patriots and Eagles have been doing for quite some time now. We could very well be heading in that direction just based on Foles and Flip being here. I'll be happy no matter which direction they decide to go in. 

If they feel Hockenson is worth that 7th overall pick tomorrow night and they see him being a permanent focal point on our offense for the next 4 - 10 years then by all means go for it. But historically it's just not something you see very often at the position with high picks being invested at it. It's a trend. And most teams stick with that trend until the game evolves to a certain point or a new phase schematically starts becoming the new norm. 

That's why the value at the RB position has plummeted over the past two decades with a few rare exceptions. Teams moved away from ground and pound schemes and more to dink and dunk schemes or westcoast schemes.

(04-24-2019, 03:30 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 03:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: All those TEs you named that are having HOF careers, you don't think most of those teams that picked in the top 10 those years wishes they did take them?  

A lot of those guys I listed didn't put up monster statistics in college though. That's why the TE position is unique and hard to gauge for most scouts. Gates and Graham were undrafted I believe and were known for their basketball skills coming out of college. 

Kittle's ridiculous season in 2018 is probably the reason why Hockenson and Fant are getting so much attention now because Kittle has turned out to be a better player for the 49ER's than he was at Iowa for the Hawkeye's. That's also normal. A lot of players turn out being better PRO's than college players. 

It's an interesting position. I love the position. I wish we used the position the same way the Chiefs, Patriots and Eagles have been doing for quite some time now. We could very well be heading in that direction just based on Foles and Flip being here. I'll be happy no matter which direction they decide to go in. 

If they feel Hockenson is worth that 7th overall pick tomorrow night and they see him being a permanent focal point on our offense for the next 4 - 10 years then by all means go for it. But historically it's just not something you see very often at the position with high picks being invested at it. It's a trend. And most teams stick with that trend until the game evolves to a certain point or a new phase schematically starts becoming the new norm. 

That's why the value at the RB position has plummeted over the past two decades with a few rare exceptions. Teams moved away from ground and pound schemes and more to dink and dunk schemes or westcoast schemes.

As for your 3rd paragraph, you cant use the TE position they way the Pats, Eagles, and KC does unless you have a Gronk, Kelce, Ertz, Goedert, or a Hockenson.  I think we talked one of the 4 elite defenders if one is there if not then I think its TJ.

(04-24-2019, 03:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 03:27 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: End of the day I'd be happy with anyone of:

N. Bosa
Q. Williams
E. Oliver
T.J. Hockenson
J. Allen
D. Haskins

Murray is all but a done deal at this point so it's very likely at least 1 of those guys will be there.

I know and D. White will probably be taken as well and we won't be drafting Haskins (who could also be gone by 7).

So Bosa/Williams/Oliver/Allen/Hockenson....one should be there...would be happy with any....Dream would just be trade back and get additional 2nd/3rd and still get Hockenson/Ford/J. Williams/Fant

(04-24-2019, 03:39 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 03:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Murray is all but a done deal at this point so it's very likely at least 1 of those guys will be there.

I know and D. White will probably be taken as well and we won't be drafting Haskins (who could also be gone by 7).

So Bosa/Williams/Oliver/Allen/Hockenson....one should be there...would be happy with any....Dream would just be trade back and get additional 2nd/3rd and still get Hockenson/Ford/J. Williams/Fant
I am absolutely on board with this.

Redskins are apparently looking to get up into the top 5 ahead of the Giants but hopefully they will take 7 lol

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 03:42 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-24-2019, 03:39 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 03:28 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Murray is all but a done deal at this point so it's very likely at least 1 of those guys will be there.

Hockenson will be there because NYG anf TBdon't need a TE and they just drafted one in the 1st

(04-24-2019, 02:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Ratings should be taken with a grain of salt as they are just someone else's opinion, but NFL.com did indeed rate OJ Howard higher as a prospect than they are rating TJ Hockenson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/o...id=2557856

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/t.j.-hocke...874885b155

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 08:58 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-24-2019, 08:47 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 02:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Howard wasn't rated higher than Hockenson.  Hockenson is number 4 on Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 over Ed Oliver.  He was top 5 on Brooks top 50 also.  Where was Howard? Not 1 or 2.  As much as I liked Howard,  Hockenson is better

Ratings should be taken with a grain of salt as they are just someone else's opinion, but NFL.com did indeed rate OJ Howard higher as a prospect than they are rating TJ Hockenson.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/o...id=2557856

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/t.j.-hocke...874885b155

Yeah, I guess it depends on whos ratings you look at. He has Jeffrey Simmons rated higher than Nick Bosa and he is coming off an ACL injury lol