Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags take Josh Allen in the 1st

(04-26-2019, 08:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 08:54 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This kid is 21 years old, decided to stay his senior year at Kentucky after the birth of his son and by all accounts has no off the field concerns. Also, Fowler Jr. was nowhere near as good as this kid was coming out of college. Fowler had some moments at Florida but not the way Allen has had at Kentucky. 

Two completely different players from two completely different backgrounds with Allen being the much better athlete on paper. His combine results actually match-up with his production on the field. 7.0 sacks in 2016, 7.0 sacks in 2017 and then 17.0 sacks last year in 2018 and virtually every defensive award you can think of was given to him. Literally Allen is stronger, just as fast, certainly quicker in shorter distances, has more explosion and was making plays all over the damn place last year. 

I don't see it. This kid is so good at virtually everything you want to see out of a DE/OLB that it'll be very difficult for this defensive coaching staff to [BLEEP] up his development. 

Have faith.

Agreed.  Funny thing, Dave Caldwell was talking about him last night and said he had a fiance and a child.  He doesn't have a fiance, he's married.  You can call me old-fashioned, but to me, that's like whatever is the opposite of a red flag.

Same. I think we got one helluva deal with him slipping. Thank goodness Mike Mayock doesn't know how to draft. But someone made a damn good point that I didn't think of. Apparently the agent that Josh Allen has is the same agent that has Khalil Mack. And they probably were embarrassed to face that guy after they shipped him away to Chicago and plummeted in the pass rushing department last year. I don't think it would factor THAT much into their decision making but at any rate I'll take it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-26-2019, 08:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 08:54 AM)Caldrac Wrote: This kid is 21 years old, decided to stay his senior year at Kentucky after the birth of his son and by all accounts has no off the field concerns. Also, Fowler Jr. was nowhere near as good as this kid was coming out of college. Fowler had some moments at Florida but not the way Allen has had at Kentucky. 

Two completely different players from two completely different backgrounds with Allen being the much better athlete on paper. His combine results actually match-up with his production on the field. 7.0 sacks in 2016, 7.0 sacks in 2017 and then 17.0 sacks last year in 2018 and virtually every defensive award you can think of was given to him. Literally Allen is stronger, just as fast, certainly quicker in shorter distances, has more explosion and was making plays all over the damn place last year. 

I don't see it. This kid is so good at virtually everything you want to see out of a DE/OLB that it'll be very difficult for this defensive coaching staff to [BLEEP] up his development. 

Have faith.

Agreed.  Funny thing, Dave Caldwell was talking about him last night and said he had a fiance and a child.  He doesn't have a fiance, he's married.  You can call me old-fashioned, but to me, that's like whatever is the opposite of a red flag.

I absolutely agree. One of my buddies made a comment about this so I looked it up last night and was surprised to see that at his age while becoming a professional athlete he has gone this route. Nothing at all wrong about it, but it is not the norm in todays sports world.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2019, 09:28 AM by Brett.)

(04-26-2019, 09:23 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 08:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Agreed.  Funny thing, Dave Caldwell was talking about him last night and said he had a fiance and a child.  He doesn't have a fiance, he's married.  You can call me old-fashioned, but to me, that's like whatever is the opposite of a red flag.

Same. I think we got one helluva deal with him slipping. Thank goodness Mike Mayock doesn't know how to draft. But someone made a damn good point that I didn't think of. Apparently the agent that Josh Allen has is the same agent that has Khalil Mack. And they probably were embarrassed to face that guy after they shipped him away to Chicago and plummeted in the pass rushing department last year. I don't think it would factor THAT much into their decision making but at any rate I'll take it.

That's really interesting, thanks for posting.

https://twitter.com/UKFootball/status/11...4480997376

Is it me, or is Mike Mayock the new Gene Smith?

(04-26-2019, 08:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 08:34 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I have a feeling he's gonna be a bust. Dante Fowler, Jr anyone?

He works very hard.  He has a wife and child.  He does charity work.   He's a model citizen.   He's a better player than Dante Fowler, and he's a better person.  

Dante Fowler, Jr?   No.   Much, much better.

So he's a better football player.. selected 4 spots from where the much worse football player, Dante Fowler, was picked? And DF wasn't a reach - he was considered the best edge rusher of that draft.

(04-26-2019, 09:54 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Is it me, or is Mike Mayock the new Gene Smith?

I've come to the conclusion that you don't need to tank when Gettleman and Mayock are drafting ahead of ya.

(04-26-2019, 09:54 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Is it me, or is Mike Mayock the new Gene Smith?

I mean, Mayock is the only draft commentator who said that Alualu was a great pick...

I think Oliver was BAP, but still quite happy with Allen. I would caution against Von Miller comps though. Von has the best 3 cone ever, and Allen's is just okay. He's not a freak athlete.

I think his best comp is Robert Quinn, which is still very good obviously.

(04-26-2019, 10:09 AM)Upper Wrote: I think Oliver was BAP, but still quite happy with Allen. I would caution against Von Miller comps though. Von has the best 3 cone ever, and Allen's is just okay. He's not a freak athlete.

People are comparing the way they play, not combine numbers

(04-26-2019, 10:13 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:09 AM)Upper Wrote: I think Oliver was BAP, but still quite happy with Allen. I would caution against Von Miller comps though. Von has the best 3 cone ever, and Allen's is just okay. He's not a freak athlete.

People are comparing the way they play, not combine numbers

Well living in Lexington and having watched every UK game, I disagree with that too.

(04-26-2019, 03:15 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Bosa vs Allen...

Taking only that chart into account, Allen could be considered the better prospect.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2019, 10:20 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-26-2019, 10:14 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:13 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: People are comparing the way they play, not combine numbers

Well living in Lexington and having watched every UK game, I disagree with that too.

Ok

Pff had Allen at number 4 best player in college

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/co...rs-in-2018

(04-26-2019, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ok

Don't worry, it's not a slight to say Allen isn't a great comp to the best and freakiest EDGE of this decade. Quinn was a superb player too.

Yeah, trying to be the smartest guy in the room all over again.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-25-2019, 09:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Ngakoue, Bryan, Campell, Allen, Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, Buoye, Ramsey, Harrison. Wow.
Wanna know something else that's great? Ramsey, Harrison, Jack, Allen, Yan and Bryan are all still very young.

Dante was a mistake....started badly here from day one
and just never met expectations of a "first" round player.
Nice he's doing okay with the rams but don't look for it to last.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2019, 10:36 AM by Mikey.)

(04-25-2019, 09:36 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Quote me on this. Hockenson will have a better career than Allen. Simply due to the fact that our offense will keep our defense on the field longer than they should.

....wouldn't that give Allen more opportunity to succeed? Gonna have stats for days in that model.

(04-25-2019, 09:37 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 09:34 PM)Ronster Wrote: It was a smart pick.. With the exception of Ramsey and Boselli the Jags history with the first round pick has sucked, oh and Darius

Fred Taylor says hello

@Is Ronster Snowy's dad?@

(04-26-2019, 10:31 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 09:54 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Ngakoue, Bryan, Campell, Allen, Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, Buoye, Ramsey, Harrison. Wow.
Wanna know something else that's great? Ramsey, Harrison, Jack, Allen, Yan and Bryan are all still very young.

if our offensive drafting was half a solid as our defensive picks have turned out, we would be legendary.

(04-26-2019, 10:24 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ok

Don't worry, it's not a slight to say Allen isn't a great comp to the best and freakiest EDGE of this decade. Quinn was a superb player too.

Who is comparing how good one is.  We were talking about playing styles.  Quinn played LB?

Only player I was Ok with taking over Hockenson, never thought he would fall. I'm ecstatic, cant wait to get my Allen Jersey once I know his number for sure.
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES 
ATLANTS BRAVES