Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags take Josh Allen in the 1st

WE GONNA SCORE A LOT OF POINTS! ohhhh wait
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-26-2019, 09:54 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Is it me, or is Mike Mayock the new Gene Smith?

After the tinhorns took a tackle from Alabama State with the 19th overall pick I am beginning to wonder if Gene Smith now resides in the Houston area. At least Mayock took the top rated RB, albeit he reached on it and S by most scouts. I'll give him that. But I don't like that Ferrill pick at all. I mean, I like it for US since it ultimately netted us Allen last night. But that just doesn't make a ton of sense.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2019, 11:41 AM by JNev.)

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Josh Allen, DE, Kentucky
Grade: A+

No one was considering this pick because most thought Allen would be long gone by this point. Getting Allen trumps taking an offensive tackle. He was the best player available and give the Jaguars potentially their own version of Khalil Mack. This is how the Jaguars can help fix a defense that just two years ago was arguably the best in the NFL.

SB Nation draft grade

7. Jacksonville Jaguars | EDGE Josh Allen, Kentucky | Grade: A+
Edge rushers are among the most premium players in today's game, and Allen is a top-five prospect in this class.

USA Today draft grade

Great pick.

Of course people will praise Caldwel when it was only luck that Allen fell to us. Let's see what they do in the rest of the draft.

(04-26-2019, 10:14 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:13 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: People are comparing the way they play, not combine numbers

Well living in Lexington and having watched every UK game, I disagree with that too.

What do you think is so different between their styles of play?  Miller played OLB on early downs and DE in passing downs early in his career, it wouldn't shock me if we did the same.

I loved seeing this pick, shows they really are starting to understand value versus need. Don't pass up on an elite pass rush talent just because you think you already have great pass rushers. And what do you know, the right tackle they were rumored to reach for is still in the board. Always take the great player when they're there, the will be other chances to draft let players at positions of need later.

(04-26-2019, 11:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:14 AM)Upper Wrote: Well living in Lexington and having watched every UK game, I disagree with that too.

What do you think is so different between their styles of play?  Miller played OLB on early downs and DE in passing downs early in his career, it wouldn't shock me if we did the same.

Well if that's the only criteria then Jalen Ramsey is basically Tyrann Mathieu since they both switched back and forth between corner and safety.

(04-26-2019, 10:59 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Great pick.

Of course people will praise Caldwel when it was only luck that Allen fell to us. Let's see what they do in the rest of the draft.

But boy you'd be right there to [BLEEP] if he had taken anyone else.

(04-26-2019, 11:15 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What do you think is so different between their styles of play?  Miller played OLB on early downs and DE in passing downs early in his career, it wouldn't shock me if we did the same.

Well if that's the only criteria then Jalen Ramsey is basically Tyrann Mathieu since they both switched back and forth between corner and safety.

Your takes have been bad lately man lol.  Kind of like saying a 5th round pick was just as good a prospect than a top 8 overall pick lol

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2019, 11:23 AM by imtheblkranger.)

(04-26-2019, 10:59 AM)JNev Wrote: 7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Josh Allen, DE, Kentucky

No one was considering this pick because most thought Allen would be long gone by this point. Getting Allen trumps taking an offensive tackle. He was the best player available and give the Jaguars potentially their own version of Khalil Mack. This is how the Jaguars can help fix a defense that just two years ago was arguably the best in the NFL.

SB Nation draft grade

This take is funny. How to "fix" a defense that was still top 5 last year.

For the record, I absolutely love the pick. I was happy with anyone but an OT really but was expecting to be disappointed

(04-26-2019, 11:20 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 10:59 AM)JNev Wrote: 7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Josh Allen, DE, Kentucky

SB Nation draft grade

This take is funny. How to "fix" a defense that was still top 5 last year.

For the record, I absolutely love the pick. I was happy with anyone but an OT really but was expecting to be disappointed

Agreed.  That also rubbed me wrong.

Caldwell in 2016 selected Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack and Yannick Ngakoue in that order. Whether it was luck or good fortune that allowed Allen to fall us last night doesn't matter. Ultimately Caldwell made a damn good decision. People can [BLEEP] on him for Joeckel (That entire first round class was suspect. Maybe two elite players or good players emerged from that round) and Bortles but it wasn't his decision to extend his contract last year during the off season. You have Coughlin to thank for that since it had to pass his desk with his signature on it. 

You can also thank him for getting solid players like Telvin Smith late and making trades for players like Marcell Dareus. He also signed Bouye and Campbell to the roster. Caldwell has been beaten up relentlessly here for years. And at times, rightfully so. But every once in awhile this guy pulls out some pretty impressive hauls here and there. Had he hired Greg Roman or maybe Bruce Arians instead of Gus Bradley nearly 7 years ago things would have been different. But to say that he's been a terrible general manager is not fair. 

He deserves praise. He's certainly helped bring us a lot further along than what Gene Smith and James Harris tried to pull in Jacksonville. That [BLEEP] show is long gone now. He's looking at the 38th, 69th and 98th pick tonight. And there's a damn good chance he's able to land at least two more players that were ranked in most scouts and analysts top 50 overall. 

This draft class could turn out being another 2016 for him. We'll see.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-26-2019, 11:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote:

Caldwell in 2016 selected Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack and Yannick Ngakoue in that order. Whether it was luck or good fortune that allowed Allen to fall us last night doesn't matter. Ultimately Caldwell made a damn good decision. People can [BLEEP] on him for Joeckel (That entire first round class was suspect. Maybe two elite players or good players emerged from that round) and Bortles but it wasn't his decision to extend his contract last year during the off season. You have Coughlin to thank for that since it had to pass his desk with his signature on it. 

You can also thank him for getting solid players like Telvin Smith late and making trades for players like Marcell Dareus. He also signed Bouye and Campbell to the roster. Caldwell has been beaten up relentlessly here for years. And at times, rightfully so. But every once in awhile this guy pulls out some pretty impressive hauls here and there. Had he hired Greg Roman or maybe Bruce Arians instead of Gus Bradley nearly 7 years ago things would have been different. But to say that he's been a terrible general manager is not fair. 

He deserves praise. He's certainly helped bring us a lot further along than what Gene Smith and James Harris tried to pull in Jacksonville. That [BLEEP] show is long gone now. He's looking at the 38th, 69th and 98th pick tonight. And there's a damn good chance he's able to land at least two more players that were ranked in most scouts and analysts top 50 overall. 

I agree with most of this. I think, especially with factoring in his FA signings, that Caldwell has done a fine job. Yes there have been some mistakes, but there has been some wizard type stuff as well.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2019, 11:57 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(04-26-2019, 11:45 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:24 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Caldwell in 2016 selected Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack and Yannick Ngakoue in that order. Whether it was luck or good fortune that allowed Allen to fall us last night doesn't matter. Ultimately Caldwell made a damn good decision. People can [BLEEP] on him for Joeckel (That entire first round class was suspect. Maybe two elite players or good players emerged from that round) and Bortles but it wasn't his decision to extend his contract last year during the off season. You have Coughlin to thank for that since it had to pass his desk with his signature on it. 

I agree with most of this. I think, especially with factoring in his FA signings, that Caldwell has done a fine job. Yes there have been some mistakes, but there has been some wizard type stuff as well.

I am not discussing this anymore, Caldwell has been average at best.

Ivory
Joeckel
Beadles
Norwell
Bortles
Bradley
and the list goes on...

Hasn't done better than S. Harris.

(04-26-2019, 11:57 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:45 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I agree with most of this. I think, especially with factoring in his FA signings, that Caldwell has done a fine job. Yes there have been some mistakes, but there has been some wizard type stuff as well.

Ivory
Joeckel
Beadles
Norwell
Bortles
Bradley
and the list goes on...

Lol

He still deserves credit for getting the pick right.

Allen was on the board when the Raiders picked, when the Bucs picked and when the Giants picked.

At least two of those teams-Raiders and Giants-could have used an edge rusher and didn't choose Allen.

If Caldwell were as bad as you say, it wouldn't matter if Allen were on the board or not.  He would have botched the pick.

You say it was luck that Allen was on the board?

So what?

How could Caldwell have designed it such that the 6 teams above him passed up Allen?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-26-2019, 12:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: How could Caldwell have designed it such that the 6 teams above him passed up Allen?

It's not that crazy. QBs break the mold, and then one bad pick. The other picks were all > Allen...and it's very arguable/likely that we left the best player on the board still in Oliver.

(04-26-2019, 11:57 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:45 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I agree with most of this. I think, especially with factoring in his FA signings, that Caldwell has done a fine job. Yes there have been some mistakes, but there has been some wizard type stuff as well.

Ivory
Joeckel
Beadles
Norwell
Bortles
Bradley
and the list goes on...

(04-26-2019, 12:40 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 12:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: How could Caldwell have designed it such that the 6 teams above him passed up Allen?

It's not that crazy. QBs break the mold, and then one bad pick. The other picks were all > Allen...and it's very arguable/likely that we left the best player on the board still in Oliver.

Allen was graded as a top three overall prospect by many, many experts, analysts and respected mockdraft communities. Oliver had a lot of questions regarding his character. Allen did not. And statistically and award wise Allen had Oliver beat by many, many miles. Had we taken Oliver 7th overall it would have been pretty much on the nose value wise. Allen was projected to be a top 3 - 5 pick. Oliver was slated to go anywhere between 3 - 16. Skipped out on a bowl game. Knee injury. Sideline incident, etc. 

I'll take the high character kid with the awards all over his name with ridiculous production on the stat sheet over Oliver.

(04-26-2019, 12:55 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 11:57 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I am not discussing this anymore, Caldwell has been average at best.

Ivory
Joeckel
Beadles
Norwell
Bortles
Bradley
and the list goes on...

(04-26-2019, 12:40 PM)Upper Wrote: It's not that crazy. QBs break the mold, and then one bad pick. The other picks were all > Allen...and it's very arguable/likely that we left the best player on the board still in Oliver.

Allen was graded as a top three overall prospect by many, many experts, analysts and respected mockdraft communities. Oliver had a lot of questions regarding his character. Allen did not. And statistically and award wise Allen had Oliver beat by many, many miles. Had we taken Oliver 7th overall it would have been pretty much on the nose value wise. Allen was projected to be a top 3 - 5 pick. Oliver was slated to go anywhere between 3 - 16. Skipped out on a bowl game. Knee injury. Sideline incident, etc. 

I'll take the high character kid with the awards all over his name with ridiculous production on the stat sheet over Oliver.
Allen racked up all those sacks and TFL even with dropping into coverage almost 50% of the time!

Thank God I am not a Raiders or Giants fan
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"