Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
AFCS Round one Draft Thoughts

We are one day through football fans' Christmas in April, also known as the NFL draft. 

Generally, I think most of the teams in the division helped themselves.

I believe Jacksonville got great value with Josh Allen.  He is more mature having stayed through his senior year.  He has good length and size with long arms.  He has size enough to play with his hand on the ground, and enough athletic ability to blanket the likes of Sternberger in pass coverage.  That gives the Jaguars defense schematic versatility.  He could play SAM on early downs and LDE in passing situations.  His size and ability could enable us to use odd fronts on occasion-more of a possibility with Capers influencing the scheme to some degree.

I think more so in year two, the tacks helped themselves with a guy many felt was a top 5-10 pick when healthy in Simmons.  But since he is recovering from a torn ACL, his true impact may not be realized until next year.  That said, pairing him with Jurrell Casey could be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

The Colts traded out of round one, but are already in good shape due to the trade down last year, which netted them the Jets' 2nd round pick this year.  But after dealing back out of the first round this year, they netted an extra 2nd round pick next year.  If they want to upgrade the secondary or WR, they have good ammunition this year.  I could easily see them going Greedy Williams or Byron Murphy at pick 34, and nabbing a WR opposite Hilton later on.

As I have indicated before, the one team I don't think helped themselves much was Houston.  I believe they reached for Howard, and I forgot which poster made the observation, but he astutely opined it looked like a panic move in light of the Eagles' trade up for Dillard.  It may be a while before he becomes a competent RT, and given the tough early schedules for the teams in our division, this period of adjustment could be rough for him and Watson, considering Houston begins on the road in New Orleans against Cam Jordan and the Saints before facing us in week 2, and Joey Bosa in week 3.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Jags - A
Fantastic value with Allen falling to them. Even though he waant a need you cant pass up on a blue chip elite prospect if he falls into your lap. I dont think anyone can complain about this pic.

Titans - A-
Simmons was my favorite player in this entire draft. If he returns to the player he was coming back from the ACL then the Titans got a huge steal. It will definitley be worth him having a redshirt year if he develops the way they believe he should.

Colts - Incomplete
Picking up the extra second is nice but I'd like to see what they do with the second they got compared to what they could have gotten in the first before I grade it.

Texans - D
I laughed really hard when they announced the pick. In my opinion Howard is no higher than a 3rd round pick, and more likely should be a day 3 pick. It was huge reach by Houston with a handful of much better tackle prospects still on the board.

(04-26-2019, 01:39 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Jags - A
Fantastic value with Allen falling to them. Even though he waant a need you cant pass up on a blue chip elite prospect if he falls into your lap. I dont think anyone can complain about this pic.

Titans - A-
Simmons was my favorite player in this entire draft. If he returns to the player he was coming back from the ACL then the Titans got a huge steal. It will definitley be worth him having a redshirt year if he develops the way they believe he should.

Colts - Incomplete
Picking up the extra second is nice but I'd like to see what they do with the second they got compared to what they could have gotten in the first before I grade it.

Texans - D
I laughed really hard when they announced the pick. In my opinion Howard is no higher than a 3rd round pick, and more likely should be a day 3 pick. It was huge reach by Houston with a handful of much better tackle prospects still on the board.

Given the age of Campbell, the potential contract demands of Ngakoue, the inefficiency of Smoot, the possible trading of Telvin Smith, and TCs preference for waves of pass rushers, you could argue Allen was a need.  But I'm still quite happy we were able to take him.  Given the strength of this defensive class, it would have been "wrong" to not avail ourselves of it.

I am not looking forward to him and Casey.  We have a hard enough time moving the ball on the tacks as it is.

We are in complete agreement over the Houston pick.  When I saw we had worked out Howard, I would have had reservations had we taken him in the 2nd or 3rd.  The Texans took him in round 1.   As I said, given the guys he will go against every day in practice, he has the potential to develop more quickly.  But I think Watson will have a rough first three weeks.

What I love is that last night the Jags got immediately better, while none of the other south teams did.

Houston took a developmental tackle who is gonna be far from ready to play at a high level out the gate.

Tennessee took an injured player who again won't contribute right away (albeit scary long term).

Colts traded down far enough that they shouldn't be able to pick a big impact player.

Jags chances of taking the division just went up. Now let's draft offense with the next 4 picks!

I see it pretty much the same way you guys do. Can’t believe Allen fell right into your laps.

(04-26-2019, 02:35 PM)Psychop1 Wrote: I see it pretty much the same way you guys do. Can’t believe Allen fell right into your laps.

The way I see it, it's way past due for things to fall our way in the draft.  I am thrilled it unfolded this way, but to be honest, the defensive talent is so deep in this class, it would be hard for anyone drafting defense to have messed it up.

Even though they didn't get a first round pick, I think the Colts GM proved himself last year, and the thought of him constantly trading back and obtaining extra 2nd round picks is troubling.  They have three this year, and already have two next year.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 06:34 AM by Bullseye.)

After two days, I still don't think the Texans helped themselves much.

They reached again for another T in second round, this time for Max Scharping.

I hoped for an early run on Ts in the second round leaving the Texans in a bind, and that's exactly what happened.

Scharping was picked at least a round too soon.  

At least early on, I don't see either guy helping too much.

As for the tacks, they got a smooth WR in A.J. Brown.  He and Davis will be quite the tandem outside.  Nate Davis was a good pickup too.

The Colts finally got around to actually drafting players, and they drafted speedy WR Parris Campbell.  He and T.Y. Hilton are both fast enough to cause problems for secondaries.

I’ve been thinking more on the Texans’ draft... while those picks may have been reaches, they have the most complete team in my opinion. They do need help on the offensive line. I don’t know what they had against Taylor, but if they got their guy, they got their guy. Jags got a steal. I think the Texans might have been better off to go with RB. Jacobs was drafted right after Howard. I’ve never been a big fan of Lamar Miller, plus he’s older now and on his last year. That said, I’m a firm believer in keeping the lines solid. If the Titans drafted nothing but lines, I would be happy. That’s where football is won. Watson was the most sacked QB. I don’t much like their draft because of who they picked, but considering the line they had, they should be much improved. I think the Jags got a lot better, and the Titans did too, though it may be toward the end of the season before we even see our 1st rounder. Colts got a speedy WR that I don’t much care for, but he may be a good player in their offense. I hope he causes Luck to throw a ton of interceptions. AFC South looks to be super competitive this upcoming season.

(04-27-2019, 09:40 AM)Psychop1 Wrote: I’ve been thinking more on the Texans’ draft... while those picks may have been reaches, they have the most complete team in my opinion. They do need help on the offensive line. I don’t know what they had against Taylor, but if they got their guy, they got their guy. Jags got a steal. I think the Texans might have been better off to go with RB. Jacobs was drafted right after Howard. I’ve never been a big fan of Lamar Miller, plus he’s older now and on his last year. That said, I’m a firm believer in keeping the lines solid. If the Titans drafted nothing but lines, I would be happy. That’s where football is won. Watson was the most sacked QB. I don’t much like their draft because of who they picked, but considering the line they had, they should be much improved. I think the Jags got a lot better, and the Titans did too, though it may be toward the end of the season before we even see our 1st rounder. Colts got a speedy WR that I don’t much care for, but he may be a good player in their offense. I hope he causes Luck to throw a ton of interceptions. AFC South looks to be super competitive this upcoming season.

I think in terms of overall numbers and depth, the Texans helped themselves along the OL, but I think the guys they took are average.  I suspect in another year or two, they will still be in the draft trying to find guys to protect Watson.  I don't see the Texans as the most complete team.  They have the most dominant DL, and that takes them a long way.  They have an exciting young QB and the best WR in the division.  But that OL could be problematic for them and ultimately stunt how high they can go.

I give Reggie Wayne and Pat McAfee credit.  They weren't as good as Drew Pearson, but they masterfully trolled the tack fans yesterday.  That said, considering how we've struggled over the last 11 years, let's just say I'm glad we avoided the trash talk.

Top to bottom though, the division will be as tough as it has ever been.

I think Allen was a boon for us and will work wonders for an already pretty good defense.  (We still need to better stop the run, though.)  With the Taylor pick in round 2-a full round below where most mocks had him a two days ago-my confidence in the OL is renewed significantly.  We gotta get healthy, but if we are, I think we will at least be able to run the ball like we did in 2017.  With improved OL play. our receivers perform better because we have guys like Cole and Chark who excel on deep routes-routes they didn't have time to run last year.

Right now, I'd say the Colts are the most complete team.  Their defense is no longer tissue soft.  They have the best QB and arguably the best OL (Tennessee?) They still have holes-I don't want to think about that team with a stud RB.  Fortunately for us, we match up very well with them.

With the smart selection of AJ Brown, you will know once and for all whether Mariota is the answer for you at QB.  I am glad you guys didn't draft Montez Sweat.  Sweat and Landry coming off the edge would have been lethal for you guys.  But to me it's a temporary victory, because once Simmons gets up and running with Casey, your defense will continue to be tough as hell for us.  Will you finally make Henry the full time starter?  What have tack coaches been waiting for in that regard?

(04-27-2019, 11:45 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Will you finally make Henry the full time starter?  What have tack coaches been waiting for in that regard?

He was the most inept pass blocking RB I think I’ve seen. He made huge improvements in that area last season. I’m assuming he’ll get the bulk of the snaps going into next season, assuming he doesn’t go back to looking like a deer caught in the headlights on passing plays.

And I’m not trying to take anything away from Luck, but I do think Watson is the better QB next season. I think Watson had some bad games, for sure, but I think he has ability beyond Luck, and he is starting to put it together consistently. I think we’ve seen Luck’s ceiling. He just played his best season and it was a great season. I think Watson will keep getting better though. I mean, it’s really close, like 1a and 1b close, but if I had to take one right now, it would be Watson, just based on the progression I’ve seen.

That said, I really want the Titans to beat Andrew Luck this year lol. I’d be happy if it were just one game, to get that monkey off our back.

You may be right about the Colts being more complete as well, but I do think it’s really close between those two teams.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 10:17 PM by Bullseye.)

At least one person agrees with me on Houston's draft.

Quote:Houston Texans: D

To describe their draft as uninspired might prove kind. Only history will determine whether GM Brian Gaine panicked by taking Alabama State OT Tytus Howard in the first round after letting the Eagles jump him for Dillard, who seemed like the perfect guy to step in and safeguard battered QB Deshaun Watson. Also some skepticism as to how much Howard, second-round OT Max Scharping and third-round TE Kahale Warring are equipped to help this team win immediately.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...594666002/

NFL.com's Chad Reuter agrees with me too...

Quote: Day 1 grade: C
Day 2 grade: C+
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: C+
Draft analysis: Howard has the athleticism to succeed in the NFL despite playing at FCS-level Alabama State; he proved that at the combine and acquitted himself nicely at the Senior Bowl. This really smells like picking for need, although they decided not to reach for their other big need, a cornerback. If Andre Dillard -- whom the Eagles traded up to select one spot before the Texans were on the clock -- stars in the league and Howard does not, people will wonder why Houston did not go up to get the top left tackle in the draft.
Johnson's length and foot quickness earned him fans in the scouting community this year, and the Texans really needed to bolster their secondary. Scharping is a solid tackle, but was taken at least a round earlier than was expected. Warring has great upside as a receiving threat for the Texans.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 11:17 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

How does not adressing your biggest need not help your team?

This draft wasn't about "win immediately".. It was "protect the QB/Franchise's future so we don't have another Carr situation on our hands!"  There is absolutely no way in Hades Watson survives another season like last year. If you want to call those two picks, need picks.. so be it, because they are, so be it.

As far as the TE we drafted.. well, that was not a need pick at all.  He was drafted for his incredible athletic ability and upside. If he pans out him, Jordan Thomas and him are going to be a load to deal with down by the goal line. Especially if Watson has a cleaner pocket and more time to throw. That kid is going be a complete mismatch and a nice safety blanket.

(04-27-2019, 11:08 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: How does not adressing your biggest need not help your team?

This draft wasn't about "win immediately".. It was "protect the QB/Franchise's future so we don't have another Carr situation on our hands!"  There is absolutely no way in Hades Watson survives another season like last year. If you want to call those two picks, need picks.. so be it, because they are, so be it.

As far as the TE we drafted.. well, that was not a need pick at all.  He was drafted for his incredible athletic ability and upside. If he pans out him, Jordan Thomas and him are going to be a load to deal with down by the goal line. Especially if Watson has a cleaner pocket and more time to throw. That kid is going be a complete mismatch and a nice safety blanket.

Well it is time for you to change your moniker? TwostepforTytus
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(04-27-2019, 11:45 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 11:08 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: How does not adressing your biggest need not help your team?

Well it is time for you to change your moniker? TwostepforTytus

Nope..

I'm just glad that they invested upfront, now I hope for the best.  Kahale Warring does intrigue me though, if he develops with more football experience.

Yall needed a LT and a RT.  Yall should of taken the best overall tackle in Taylor.  Although he is a RT, he was the best player

(04-28-2019, 11:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Yall needed a LT and a RT.  Yall should of taken the best overall tackle in Taylor.  Although he is a RT, he was the best player

Well not on their board.. Just like the 2008 draft when the draft experts trashed the Texans for reaching for TE convert Duane Brown.  Obviously they didn't give a flying flip about Taylor.

(04-28-2019, 12:28 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 11:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Yall needed a LT and a RT.  Yall should of taken the best overall tackle in Taylor.  Although he is a RT, he was the best player

Well not on their board.. Just like the 2008 draft when the draft experts trashed the Texans for reaching for TE convert Duane Brown.  Obviously they didn't give a flying flip about Taylor.

Thank God, what about your rankings.  Did you have Howard over Taylor?

I think they didn't draft him because of the false medical that came out. Our staff dug a little but deeper though to get the better tackle, a guy that wont be a project and a day 1 starter with a steal in the 2nd who most had as the number 1 tackle in the draft but fell because of the false medical report. He already said he is 100% as dis the doctor and those rumors were false

(04-28-2019, 12:10 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 11:45 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Well it is time for you to change your moniker? TwostepforTytus

Nope..

I'm just glad that they invested upfront, now I hope for the best.  Kahale Warring does intrigue me though, if he develops with more football experience.

I think Howard will be a good tackle. Maybe really good.

Will he be good in 2019?  Ehhh, probably not. Raw prospect to say the least.