Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Random thoughts for day 2 of the Jags picks

- I loved the Jawaan Taylor pick. I thought he was in play for the 7th pick and we got him with the 35th pick. Steal!
- I liked the Josh Oliver pick. I thought they would go TE and they did, but not the player I was thinking (Sternberger). Still a good pick!
- I disliked the Quincy Williams pick here. He probably would've been there in the later rounds. Not good value (please prove me wrong Q)!
- I was hoping for either a Safety like Deionte Thompson or a WR like Hakeem Butler. Oh well...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2019, 04:44 AM)PortDawgJags808 Wrote: - I loved the Jawaan Taylor pick. I thought he was in play for the 7th pick and we got him with the 35th pick. Steal!
- I liked the Josh Oliver pick. I thought they would go TE and they did, but not the player I was thinking (Sternberger). Still a good pick!
- I disliked the Quincy Williams pick here. He probably would've been there in the later rounds. Not good value (please prove me wrong Q)!
- I was hoping for either a Safety like Deionte Thompson or a WR like Hakeem Butler. Oh well...

I am surprised Thompson and the UF Safety are still on the board.

There are still players on the board that can help teams, especially at WR.  We might end up with another TE or RB too.

I'm hoping we can deal back up into the 4th round.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Jaguars fans have to feel much better about the offensive line after they stole Taylor in the 2nd.

Josh Oliver is the wild card of this draft. Some had him right there with Sternberger and Knox. He definitely has upside and could eventually become the team's number 1 receiving tight end.

Coughlin must have fallen in love with Quincey Williams when he visited the team. That, combined with the team's unhappiness with Telvin, caused them to reach on this pick. At least this guy should be a special teams freak.

The positions that worry me the most are free safety and running back. They cannot afford to have injuries to Fournette, Wilson or Harrison. I do expect them to take guys at both these positions today, but it's not realistic to believe they can have much of an immediate impact on the team.

Still very happy with this draft, but the ghost of Gene Smith (figuratively) emerged and was a big letdown after such a great start to the draft.

RB doesn’t worry me.

Phillip Lindsay went undrafted last season. Happens every year but you just have to pick the right one.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 08:31 AM by JagJohn.)

I'm delighted with it so far, especially if I pretend Quincy Williams doesn't exist.

Allen A+ Amazing talent and production at the 2nd important position on the field. Could have been 1st overall pick in many drafts.
Taylor A+ Reminds me of Jack falling, what an incredible steal in the second at a premium position of huge need. Also the trade up was sensational, we actually got more value from that trade than the raiders did, according to the value chart! And the successfully jumped to the front of the run on tackles to get their guy. These first two picks make the draft a success whatever else happens.
Oliver B+ This kid is gonna have every opportunity to do big things for this team, and he seems to have the kind of skill set that will deliver. Not who I would've chosen, but I'm on board.
Williams F I just... It's that... Wait, what?

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 08:35 AM by irontrooper83.)

I'm at peace with the Taylor selection although I would have gone a different direction. Or at least I wouldn't have traded up and see who would be there of the Taylor/Ford/Risner trio.
If the team is fine with the medical and the work out they did with him (like they were with Myles) I feel much better about the selection. This seems to be the case so good stuff.

I really liked the Josh Oliver pick as he was in the group of TE that I really liked, I watched some film of him weeks ago after I read he visited us and liked what I saw. I probably would have gone Sternberger though and tried to double down on a TE (maybe even Oliver himself) later. I'm positive he will turn out to be really good though.

I had never watched Quincy Oliver and I would have gone safety probably or OL again.
Just saw the highlights videos and of course I can't evaluate him from that other than saying he is really explosive, hits hard but who knows what's his undersatnding of the game, coverage skills, run fits and so on.
Probably the only selection that right now looks bad based on what else was available but then if he turns out to be an hidden gem (probably the odds are against him)...kudos to the staff.
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson still on the board though...I was really hoping for that one to be our pick.

(04-27-2019, 08:05 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: RB doesn’t worry me.

Phillip Lindsay went undrafted last season. Happens every year but you just have to pick the right one.

You're right, especially in this draft the team is absolutely correct to wait on RB and WR considering the depth at those positions.

(04-27-2019, 08:30 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I'm delighted with it so far, especially if I pretend Quincy Williams doesn't exist.

Allen A+ Amazing talent and production at the 2nd important position on the field. Could have been 1st overall pick in many drafts.
Taylor A+ Reminds me of Jack falling, what an incredible steal in the second at a premium position of huge need. Also the trade up was sensational, we actually got more value from that trade than the raiders did, according to the value chart! And the successfully jumped to the front of the run on tackles to get their guy. These first two picks make the draft a success whatever else happens.
Oliver B+ This kid is gonna have every opportunity to do big things for this team, and he seems to have the kind of skill set that will deliver. Not who I would've chosen, but I'm on board.
Williams F I just... It's that... Wait, what?

Now I actually liked the clips I saw of Williams, but I don't know if he wouldn't have been available later.  I don't know that I give the pick an "F".  For me, its TBD.

Otherwise, we are in complete agreement.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 11:46 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-27-2019, 08:32 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: I'm at peace with the Taylor selection although I would have gone a different direction. Or at least I wouldn't have traded up and see who would be there of the Taylor/Ford/Risner trio.
If the team is fine with the medical and the work out they did with him (like they were with Myles) I feel much better about the selection. This seems to be the case so good stuff.

I really liked the Josh Oliver pick as he was in the group of TE that I really liked, I watched some film of him weeks ago after I read he visited us and liked what I saw. I probably would have gone Sternberger though and tried to double down on a TE (maybe even Oliver himself) later. I'm positive he will turn out to be really good though.

I had never watched Quincy Oliver and I would have gone safety probably or OL again.
Just saw the highlights videos and of course I can't evaluate him from that other than saying he is really explosive, hits hard but who knows what's his undersatnding of the game, coverage skills, run fits and so on.
Probably the only selection that right now looks bad based on what else was available but then if he turns out to be an hidden gem (probably the odds are against him)...kudos to the staff.
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson still on the board though...I was really hoping for that one to be our pick.
I think had we finished the 3rd round with the CG-J pick, everyone would be elated about this draft.  As it is, even with the Williams pick, most seem quite happy with the results overall.  I know I am.

A small part of me hoped to stand pat and still get Taylor, but it was worth it to get the guy we needed.  The team anticipated a run on T in the second, and they were smart to get out in front of it.

Oliver looks to be the best receiving threat we've had at TE at least since the early Marcedes Lewis days.  Lewis looked awkward at times, but when he was actually utilized in the passing game, he was a decent threat.  I am eager to see how Oliver will be utilized in the Jaguars offense.  I only hope the receivers we have can give Oliver the room to operate effectively.

(04-27-2019, 11:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 08:32 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: I'm at peace with the Taylor selection although I would have gone a different direction. Or at least I wouldn't have traded up and see who would be there of the Taylor/Ford/Risner trio.

I think had we finished the 3rd round with the CG-J pick, everyone would be elated about this draft.  As it is, even with the Williams pick, most seem quite happy with the results overall.  I know I am.

A small part of me hoped to stand pat and still get Taylor, but it was worth it to get the guy we needed.  The team anticipated a run on T in the second, and they were smart to get out in front of it.

Oliver looks to be the best receiving threat we've had at TE at least since the early Marcedes Lewis days.  Lewis looked awkward at times, but when he was actually utilized in the passing game, he was a decent threat.  I am eager to see how Oliver will be utilized in the Jaguars offense.  I only hope the receivers we have can give Oliver the room to operte effectively.
We have only did half our picks so hopefully we have a good day today

(04-27-2019, 11:29 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 11:19 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I think had we finished the 3rd round with the CG-J pick, everyone would be elated about this draft.  As it is, even with the Williams pick, most seem quite happy with the results overall.  I know I am.

Oliver looks to be the best receiving threat we've had at TE at least since the early Marcedes Lewis days.  Lewis looked awkward at times, but when he was actually utilized in the passing game, he was a decent threat.  I am eager to see how Oliver will be utilized in the Jaguars offense.  I only hope the receivers we have can give Oliver the room to operte effectively.
We have only did half our picks so hopefully we have a good day today

There is still good talent on the board at WR, LB and RB, maybe even G.  Hopefully we can get some of those guys here.  Making it through that 4th round is going to be tough.

I’m devastated we didn’t draft Hakeem Butler. He would’ve been the missing piece to this receiving corps. I guess Dave doesn’t want anyone to get in Chark’s development lane since he invested a 2nd in him. What a pity.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

I’m devastated we didn’t draft Hakeem Butler. He would’ve been the missing piece to this receiving corps. I guess Dave doesn’t want anyone to get in Chark’s development lane since he invested a 2nd in him. What a pity.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Let's go Jags! Let's get more weapons for Nick Foles!

Going to give Quincy Williams a chance but I'm really wondering if Knox would have fallen 2 more spots would they have doubled up on TEs.

Knox would have been the inline TE that is also a good receiver while Oliver would be the move TE.