Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Disappointed with Allen over Hockenson?

How many of you all were disappointed that the Jags drafted Josh Allen over T.J. Hockenson? My perception was that T.J. Hockenson would've been the Jags pick if Josh Allen wasn't there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2019, 04:58 AM)PortDawgJags808 Wrote: How many of you all were disappointed that the Jags drafted Josh Allen over T.J. Hockenson? My perception was that T.J. Hockenson would've been the Jags pick if Josh Allen wasn't there.

I am not disappointed with this.  The only way I get disappointed with this move is that Allen busts, and I don't see that happening.

By most accounts, Allen was viewed as the superior player at a more important position (edge).

You are right that Hockenson would have been the pick had Allen not been on the board.  The Jaguars brass have indicated as much.

But that isn't a source of disappointment for me.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-27-2019, 04:58 AM)PortDawgJags808 Wrote: How many of you all were disappointed that the Jags drafted Josh Allen over T.J. Hockenson? My perception was that T.J. Hockenson would've been the Jags pick if Josh Allen wasn't there.

I am not the least bit disappointed.   Allen was slightly less of an immediate need, but he was way too good a player to pass up.  And at a more important position.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 06:24 AM by Bullseye.)

(04-27-2019, 06:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I am not the least bit disappointed.   Allen was slightly less of an immediate need, but he was way too good a player to pass up.  And at a more important position.

The versatility he offers our defense is considerable.

He could be a Sam, a Will, a RDE and a LDE on any given play.  Imagine him on the LOS either in a 3 point stance or threatening to blitz, only to jam the TE at the LOS (and with his length and athletic ability, he would be a hard jam to escape) and freeing up a blitzer.  Better still, imagine him in a two point stance on the same side as Ngakoue.  How does the offense block that?  Given how rare a good blocking TE is to find these days, do you think a TE could block Allen on a pass rush?  If you have a pure blocking TE in on passing situations, that is one less viable receiver to cover.  He can provide a great rotation between himself, Ngakoue and Campbell, helping all three to be fresh.  When Campbell moves inside, not only does a four man line of Ngakoue, Campbell, Dareus, and Allen provide all kinds of matchup problems, it also gives DTs a rest, too.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-27-2019, 06:14 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 06:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I am not the least bit disappointed.   Allen was slightly less of an immediate need, but he was way too good a player to pass up.  And at a more important position.

The versatility he offers our defense is considerable.

He could be a Sam, a Will, a RDE and a LDE on any given play.  Imagine him on the LOS either in a 3 point stance or threatening to blitz, only to jam the TE at the LOS (and with his length and athletic ability, he would be a hard jam to escape) and freeing up a blitzer.  He can provide a great rotation between himself, Ngakoue and Campbell, helping all three to be fresh.  When Campbell moves inside, not only does a four man line of Ngakoue, Campbell, Dareus, and Allen provide all kinds of matchup problems, it also gives DTs a rest, too.

I thought of that, too.  He lines up at DE, over the TE, but instead of rushing the passer, covers the TE, and Myles Jack rushes instead.  

Also impressive, he recorded 17 sacks in the best conference in the country, even though he dropped into coverage on half his plays!

I'm not disappointed at all. We landed the best overall player in the draft.

I don't see why anybody would be disappointed
;

;

As much as I like a TE like Hockenson not disappointed at all.
Very happy actually.
Even before the draft I was hoping we could get one of the stud DE/DL but I wasn't really hoping a player like Allen would be there. Good stuff. Big Grin

Not disappointed at all. Teams get into trouble when their draft philosophy is based on need. Allen was a higher value pick. Besides, we seem to pick up a decent move TE (Foles loves those) so we can judge later as this plays out.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

A tad disappointed at Allen over Oliver, but not disappointed in Allen over anyone else.

Would yall trade this years pick at 9 to Det. for Hockenson? He went on IR last year do to a ankle injury but you could see the talent was there. I wonder if Det would do it if we offered the 9th pick. I think I would do it

I think the short answer is nobody is disappointed.

Plenty of us liked the idea of drafting Hockenson, but that was only because we all assumed Allen wouldn’t be available.

When Allen fell to us, picking him over Hockenson wasn’t a difficult decision.

Picking Allen over Hockenson was a no-brainer and definitely not a disappointment.

Would I trade pick 1-9 to Detroit for Hockenson in this year's draft? ....no.

(01-31-2020, 06:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Would yall trade this years pick at 9 to Det. for Hockenson?  He went on IR last year do to a ankle injury but you could see the talent was there.  I wonder if Det would do it if we offered the 9th pick.  I think I would do it

There's risk in the 9th pick in the draft.  A lot of them are busts and it's hard to predict. IF Hockenson has shown that he is for sure not a bust, which would remove the risk from the pick, I would certainly do it.  You have one year of film to look at, so you have much more assurance that he's an NFL-calibre tight end worthy of the #9 pick.   

At this point you have removed all that risk.  So I would absolutely do it.

I definitely wouldn’t trade the pick to Detroit.

There are numerous prospects that will be available to the Jags at 9 who are better for this team now and for the future.

(02-01-2020, 09:15 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I definitely wouldn’t trade the pick to Detroit.

There are numerous prospects that will be available to the Jags at 9 who are better for this team now and for the future.

But with all these college players there is risk that isn't there with Hockenson, because Hockenson has been in the league for a year and we know what he is.  Plus, we need a TE really really bad.  

So absolutely I would trade the pick to Detroit for Hockenson.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 11:13 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-01-2020, 09:15 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I definitely wouldn’t trade the pick to Detroit.

I'm not so sure they would be better for this team.  I think what could help this team out the most is a really good TE.  Look at the 2 teams in the SB, they have the 2 best TEs in the league in Kelce and Kittle.  Look at the SB champ from last year, they had Gronk.  This team needs a great TE and Hockenson has that potential

(02-01-2020, 11:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I'm not so sure they would be better for this team.  I think what could help this team out the most is a really good TE.  Look at the 2 teams in the SB, they have the 2 best TEs in the league in Kelce and Kittle.  Look at the SB champ from last year, they had Gronk.  This team needs a great TE and Hockenson has that potential
I’m just not willing to give away #9. I would give #20 away but not 9.

You all would be kicking yourselves if Okudah or Brown or Simmons falls to 9 but you’ve already traded your pick.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 02:31 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-01-2020, 02:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 11:04 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm not so sure they would be better for this team.  I think what could help this team out the most is a really good TE.  Look at the 2 teams in the SB, they have the 2 best TEs in the league in Kelce and Kittle.  Look at the SB champ from last year, they had Gronk.  This team needs a great TE and Hockenson has that potential
I’m just not willing to give away #9. I would give #20 away but not 9.

You all would be kicking yourselves if Okudah or Brown or Simmons falls to 9 but you’ve already traded your pick.

You wouldnt be kicking yourself if Hockenson becomes one of the leagues top TEs and I think he will.  It would also be huge for Minshew.  So you would take Juedy or Lamb at 9 but not an top TE talent?

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 03:03 PM by The Real Marty.)

(02-01-2020, 02:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 02:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I’m just not willing to give away #9. I would give #20 away but not 9.

You wouldnt be kicking yourself if Hockenson becomes one of the leagues top TEs and I think he will.  It would also be huge for Minshew.  So you would take Juedy or Lamb at 9 but not an top TE talent?

I agree.  I would trade the 9th pick for Hockenson.  That's an easy decision.  A top 10 pick who has had a year in the league is worth a lot more than a top 10 pick who hasn't had time in the league.  It takes all the bust risk out of the equation.   Of course, this is why Detroit would never make that trade in a million years.  They would never trade a proven top 10 pick for an unproven top 10 pick.