Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Disappointed with Allen over Hockenson?

Like most other people that follow the NFL Draft closely, I was surprised that Josh Allen was available with pick # 7 in the 2019 Draft. If the Jaguars would have gone in another direction, Allen would have been my preference for the Lions with pick # 8. T.J. Hockenson became my player preference after the Jags selected Allen, though a viable trade down offer would have been ideal.

All things considering, I'm happy with the way Hockenson is progressing. He earned a Pro Bowl berth in his 2nd season. His receiving contribution / performance level was Pro Bowl caliber.

Early this season, Hockenson was performing at a Pro Bowl level again, with him finally providing the caliber of run blocking that I was anticipating from him based on his play with Iowa. His transition to the NFL as a run blocker was more difficult than I anticipated. As a receiver, he was taking his game to an even higher level. The chemistry Hock was developing with Jared Goff was a huge positive.

A knee injury that Hockenson has dealing with has limited his practice time for over a month. This, combined with the Lions problematic WR situation ( Tyrrell Williams has been out since the middle of the 3rd QTR of the season opener vs. SF. with a concussion. Emerging WR Quintez Cephus suffered a broken collarbone late in the 2nd QTR in week # 5 at Minnesota ) that has become even more pronounced because of injuries, has led to Hockenson's receiving numbers being modest at best after a fast start this season. The injuries to the top 2 veteran Offensive Lineman on the team. ( C Frank Ragnow and LT Taylor Decker ) also has been a contributing factor in Hock's receiving numbers not remaining close to the level of the first two games.

If Hock is relatively healthy next season, I think that there's a good chance he will ascend to a top 3 caliber NFL TE, as the WR unit will be substantially upgraded and the Lions Offensive Line situation should be much better.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disappointed with Allen over Hockenson? - by D6 - 10-26-2021, 12:38 PM