Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL rooke Defensive player of the year

Was just thinking about this because the crew on NFL Network brought it up.  The mentioned Bosa and Bush.  Do yall think Allen has as good a chance as any defender on this draft?  Do we give him enough playing time to have a shot at it?  If he is playing at a high enough level he will get his playing time right?  A lot of great players on the dline and going by history this coaching staff likes to ease the rookies in.  As talented as Allen is though it will be hard to keep him off the field and I think his play will give the coaching staff no choice but to give him the minutes even if he doesnt start 1st play of the 1st game.  In short order he will earn the minutes imo.  Thoughts on his chances at rookie D player of the year

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Won't have enough play time. I think he'd been outside the top 10 of potential rookie DPOYs for me

(04-27-2019, 08:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: Won't have enough play time. I think he'd been outside the top 10 of potential rookie DPOYs for me

You dont think hes good enough to earn his playing time?  He was a 4 year senior so I dont think he will be a project player like most of our 1st round picks have been in the past.  I think he is to exsperienced and to talented to not get his starting minutes. Even if it isnt game one, I think a quarter of the season in he will be to good to not be getting starter minutes

(04-27-2019, 08:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 08:37 PM)JackCity Wrote: Won't have enough play time. I think he'd been outside the top 10 of potential rookie DPOYs for me

You dont think hes good enough to earn his playing time?  He was a 4 year senior so I dont think he will be a project player like most of our 1st round picks have been in the past.  I think he is to exsperienced and to talented to not get his starting minutes. Even if it isnt game one, I think a quarter of the season in he will be to good to not be getting starter minutes

No I don't think he's going to have close the amount of snaps as guys like Bosa, Quinnen , Oliver etc etc so they'll have a much bigger chance of being defensive rookie of the year

(04-27-2019, 08:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Was just thinking about this because the crew on NFL Network brought it up.  The mentioned Bosa and Bush.  Do yall think Allen has as good a chance as any defender on this draft?  Do we give him enough playing time to have a shot at it?  If he is playing at a high enough level he will get his playing time right?  A lot of great players on the dline and going by history this coaching staff  likes to ease the rookies in.  As talented as Allen is though it will be hard to keep him off the field and I think his play will give the coaching staff no choice but to give him the minutes even if he doesnt start 1st play of the 1st game.  In short order he will earn the minutes imo.  Thoughts on his chances at rookie D player of the year

The only thing that will stop him from getting it is market size.

He has the innate ability to succeed.  He has the surrounding help to succeed.

I know TC was very slow to make Brackens a full time starter.  I don't see that as an issue here.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2019, 09:07 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-27-2019, 08:52 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 08:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You dont think hes good enough to earn his playing time?  He was a 4 year senior so I dont think he will be a project player like most of our 1st round picks have been in the past.  I think he is to exsperienced and to talented to not get his starting minutes. Even if it isnt game one, I think a quarter of the season in he will be to good to not be getting starter minutes

No I don't think he's going to have close the amount of snaps as guys like Bosa, Quinnen , Oliver etc etc so they'll have a much bigger chance of being defensive rookie of the year

I agree they will get more minutes probably day 1.  But Allen will work his way up to probably to being on the field 75 or 80% of the defensive plays.  You dont think that will somewhat help him though because he will be fresh and we wont have to wear him down like Williams and Oliver probably will.  I feel with Campbell Bryan and Yannick Allen will have more splash plays then the other 2.  Allen's experience being a 4 year senior will make a difference as well.  I might be wrong but if Allen is good enough which I think he will be, he will get his minutes, even if some of them come at LB

(04-27-2019, 09:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-27-2019, 08:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Was just thinking about this because the crew on NFL Network brought it up.  The mentioned Bosa and Bush.  Do yall think Allen has as good a chance as any defender on this draft?  Do we give him enough playing time to have a shot at it?  If he is playing at a high enough level he will get his playing time right?  A lot of great players on the dline and going by history this coaching staff  likes to ease the rookies in.  As talented as Allen is though it will be hard to keep him off the field and I think his play will give the coaching staff no choice but to give him the minutes even if he doesnt start 1st play of the 1st game.  In short order he will earn the minutes imo.  Thoughts on his chances at rookie D player of the year

The only thing that will stop him from getting it is market size.

He has the innate ability to succeed.  He has the surrounding help to succeed.

I know TC was very slow to make Brackens a full time starter.  I don't see that as an issue here.

Being he was a 4 year senior and he is not a project like most of our 1st round picks and a lot of 1st round picks period now days will show on the field and make a difference

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2019, 06:18 AM by jessepeck1213.)

Gonna be Quincy Williams, the goat.

Allen’s best chance at winning that award will be with high sack numbers.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(04-28-2019, 08:14 AM)jaglawyer Wrote: Allen’s best chance at winning that award will be with high sack numbers.

And a Super Bowl.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

He might not get the snaps and generally takes pass rushers a year or two. If he's just blowing it up in preseason and forces his way into the main rotation then he might be in play but most likely this year has situational and developing.

DROY will come down between Nick Bosa and Devin White this year. Just my opinion. And I say that because they'll be instant starters the moment they arrive into training camp.

I don't know how they're going to work Allen into this defense. I know Caldwell mentioned he would fit the old Fowler Jr. role this year but how often he sees the field is up in the air at the moment. I would imagine they try to rotate him in and out with Ngakoue and Campbell here and there. But I honestly wouldn't mind seeing this kid drop back into coverage as well.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-29-2019, 08:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: DROY will come down between Nick Bosa and Devin White this year. Just my opinion. And I say that because they'll be instant starters the moment they arrive into training camp.

I don't know how they're going to work Allen into this defense. I know Caldwell mentioned he would fit the old Fowler Jr. role this year but how often he sees the field is up in the air at the moment. I would imagine they try to rotate him in and out with Ngakoue and Campbell here and there. But I honestly wouldn't mind seeing this kid drop back into coverage as well.

you beat me to it, regarding this year's favorites.

(04-29-2019, 08:29 AM)Caldrac Wrote: DROY will come down between Nick Bosa and Devin White this year. Just my opinion. And I say that because they'll be instant starters the moment they arrive into training camp.

You should add Devin Bush or Ed Oliver to the group and I'd agree with you.

Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I think it would be a waste of his ability not to start him at SLB in base in addition to rushing him from the left side in sub packages.

If the pass rush opportunities are there, I like Josh Allen's chances to win the award. Great value pick by the Jaguars.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/...1.30097764

His 94.3 pass-rush grade was first among edge defenders, according to Pro Football Focus, and his 29.1 pass-rush win percentage was second.
White said a reason Allen’s sack total jumped by 10 as a senior was because the coaches “broadened his awareness of the pass rush.” They stressed the importance of studying the tendencies of tackles and quarterbacks and working on counter moves

Just being a girl, but does DROY or OROY come from a first round draft choice?

(05-09-2019, 08:28 PM)Olive Wrote: Just being a girl, but does DROY or OROY come from a first round draft choice?

The DROY came from a 2nd round pick last year.  Colts Darius Leonard

Linebackers get it an inordinate amount of the time. Bush would be my favorite cause the media will love the replacing Shazier to bring back the steel curtain angle, followed by White.

I think Allen wins it if he gets the snaps. Hopefully he will be to good to leave off the field