Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The FB position

Looking at our current roster it appears that we’ve moved on from Tommy Bohannon and are rolling with little known Dimitri Flowers. We picked him up late last year as a practice squad player and he seems to be a night and day difference from Tommy Bo. 

From BCC:

Quote: Flowers played collegiately at Oklahoma from 2014 through 2017 and appeared in 53 games with 32 starts, totaling 151 rushing yards and four touchdowns on 36 carries (4.2 rush average) and 886 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns on 54 catches (16.4 receiving average). After going undrafted, Flowers spent time with the New York Jets before a one-day stint on the Jaguars’ practice squad in October. Flowers is the son of former first-round (2000 NFL Draft) DE Erik Flowers, and his cousin, Tre Flowers, plays cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks. Flowers, who wears No. 35 for the Jaguars, has yet to appear in an NFL game.

And here’s his draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dimitri-fl...a7c160e8a0

The guy looks to be a weapon that can be utilized in an H-Back role. Something never fully embraced in Jax. Are we catching up with the current times?

What are your thoughts? 
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I doubt DeFilippo intends to use a FB extensively (if at all.)

If Flowers is good enough to make the team and do some lead-blocking and maybe play a minor H-Back role, that would be awesome.
I'm rather skeptical it will be a focus offensively, but I'm all for it.

I remember that I was happy and intrigued when we brought him on the practice squad the first time last year. It only lasted a day as I think we got Scarborough the day after. Then he came back later but remained on PS
Coming out of college I thought that with good size but not great athleticism he had an interesting skillset, good pass protector, decent blocker, good hands as a receiving option even if he's not super dynamic, you can use him in a lot of different ways if he develops.
Not sure if we plan to keep a guy with that role in the 53 but he's a guy i'd like to see more of in traiing camp and preseason eventually.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2019, 06:19 PM by JackCity.)

Flowers can be very effective if given the chance to imo. He can block from multiple positions and alignments while also being a talented enough receiver to make the most of his targets. In Oklahoma he was devastating up the seam with Mayfield, not bad as a runner either.

Only real issue I see is he isn't the most athletic and OCs may not want to bother using someone like that in the passing game. He can play the Trey Burton role he but in a different manner

I'm a bit surprised we bother with FB. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't find other solutions for this role in situational conditions.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Every time someone posts anything about a FB somebody is bound to post something about our early 2nd round near-bust Greg Jones being great.

(04-29-2019, 06:31 PM)pirkster Wrote: I'm a bit surprised we bother with FB. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't find other solutions for this role in situational conditions.

I think Swaim will motion into the backfield quite a bit; hes a very good blocker and has some mobility.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Carson Meier was UDFA we added who played Hback/Fullback for Oklahoma too and did well

(04-29-2019, 07:22 PM)JackCity Wrote: Carson Meier was  UDFA we added who played Hback/Fullback for Oklahoma too and did well

Yeah, him and flowers basically played exactly the same position for Oklahoma. Makes you wonder if that's gonna be a feature of the new offense, but realistically I doubt either make the team.

Flowers was on my love list for the draft last year, he made some insane plays in the passing game at Oklahoma.

(04-29-2019, 06:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Every time someone posts anything about a FB somebody is bound to post something about our early 2nd round near-bust Greg Jones being great.

He was great.

Have you ever seen this video?

https://youtu.be/0NiwGp1TM5k
s
;

;

I'll fight you  Angry

Laughing
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

If the Jags intended to heavily utilize the FB position, Bohanon would have been brought back. I doubt they keep a true fullback at all, and just drop a spare tight end or lineman into the backfield when the situation calls for a lead blocker.

Maybe that's something Taven Bryan can actually do

(04-29-2019, 11:54 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote:

He was great.

Thanks.  I've never seen that video posted here before.... lol

Yes, he was great in college prior to his injury.

He was a bust with the Jags (for where he was drafted).  Sure, he then changed his game when they realized he was slow and non-effective as an early 2nd round pick only gaining 913 career rushing yards.  Imagine a team selecting a RB in the 2nd round knowing he'd gain less than 1,000 yards.  He would have been good value if we got him as a UFA

(04-30-2019, 01:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 11:54 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: He was great.

He was a bust with the Jags (for where he was drafted).  Sure, he then changed his game when they realized he was slow and non-effective as an early 2nd round pick only gaining 913 career rushing yards.  Imagine a team selecting a RB in the 2nd round knowing he'd gain less than 1,000 yards.  He would have been good value if we got him as a UFA

The two ACL tears were a factor here as well.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Pretty sure MJD led the league behind him as well.

Dare ya to say it to his face! lol

(04-30-2019, 01:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 11:54 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: He was great.

LOL

He ended up being perfectly fine value-wise by springing Freddy and MJD so many times on big runs. 

Such a weird take here. 

Late 2nd rd pick blows out knee and goes on to be one of the best lead blockers the game has seen in decades = bust
Nah.  Drafted a little bit early?  Maybe.  Bust?  Hell no. You have an odd definition of the word. 

C'mon. Dude had some bad injury luck and made the most of what he had left and built off of that quite well. He was also behind Fred freakin Taylor on the depth chart. How many RB snaps did you want him to get exactly?

(04-30-2019, 02:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 01:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Thanks.  I've never seen that video posted here before.... lol

LOL

He ended up being perfectly fine value-wise by springing Freddy and MJD so many times on big runs. 

Such a weird take here. 

Late 2nd rd pick blows out knee and goes on to be one of the best lead blockers the game has seen in decades = bust
Nah.  Drafted a little bit early?  Maybe.  Bust?  Hell no. You have an odd definition of the word. 

C'mon. Dude had some bad injury luck and made the most of what he had left and built off of that quite well. He was also behind Fred freakin Taylor on the depth chart. How many RB snaps did you want him to get exactly?

Not to mention, when he did get a shot he gained 100 yards in the first half against the Steelers. Then they subbed him out with freaking Wimbush I think it was...brilliant.

(04-30-2019, 01:21 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 01:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Thanks.  I've never seen that video posted here before.... lol

The two ACL tears were a factor here as well.

Yes, I agree and that's what contributed to him being a bust as a 2nd round pick.

57 yards + 1 TD in his final 6 years (of a 9 year career) pretty much says it all.

For comparison sake, Michael Turner was drafted in the 4th round in 2004

Turner rushed for 7738 yards and had 66 TD - 4.5 yards per carry
Jones rushed for 913 yards and had 10 TDs - 3.4 yards per carry

Turner could have prolonged MJDs career by splitting carries.  Heck, Greg Jones got the ball at the 1 four straight times and could not score.  He could not get low and was not even a factor at the goal line.

Flowers was released (again) yesterday.