Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NCAAF - 2019 Preview (random thoughts)

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2019, 01:13 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Just curious what intrigues you about the upcoming season.  For me it's the following:

1) It's that time when college football magazines come out.  I usually buy Athlon (or Lindy's) and also Phil Steele's extremely detailed College Football Magazines.  I used to buy one that carried 15 year betting trends so I may look into that once again (although I can probably get that stuff online).

2) Clemson / Alabama -- Not many people realize Clemson and Bama have the exact same records and 2 championships each over the past 4 years.  I think the gap is closing in on Bama's dominance with teams like Georgia, LSU, Florida, and Texas A&M going all in to win a championship; although Florida & A&M may be a couple of years away from that level.

3) QB Transfers --- Jalen Hurt at Oklahoma went under the radar.  Can Hornibrook take over the FSU starting role or will the Slim Reaper develop into a dangerous dual-threat QB -- I'd like to see Jame Blackmon, out of Miami Northwestern emerge into a star QB?

4) Georgia Tech transitions into a pro-style offense.  They are a few years away given their current roster, but Paul Johnson is gone and they just recruited a 4-star QB graduating HS in the 2020 class.  

5) Coaching departures --- Uban Meyer out at OSU and Dana Holgerson out at WVU -- should be an interesting transition.

6) PAC 12 -- Is Oregon on the rise again?  UCLA still doesn't have a top 30 recruiting class with Chip Kelley.  Can USC withstand terrible coaching?

Opening Weekend -- UF vs Miami @ Orlando (Aug 24) //  FSU vs Boise State in Jacksonville  //   Auburn vs Oregon in Dallas

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2019, 03:53 AM by hostiletakeover.)

1. QB Transfers - Justin Fields should be near the top of this list. He will most likely be in Heisman finalist contention by the end of the year. Hurts to Oklahoma, paired with Lincoln Riley, will be fun to watch. Jacob Eason will get another chance and could push Washington into the playoff hunt. Kelly Bryant replacing Drew Lock at Missouri; Wimbush filling in for injured Milton at UCF; plus, lots of other interesting QB transfer situations. Hornibrook to FSU seems like a chance to add some depth and experience in the QB room. I believe he has no chance at starting, unless Blackman is hurt or FSU has a horrendous start to the 2019 season.

2. Week 7 - The opening weekend games are intriguing, but the teams you listed have a slim chance of making the playoffs. Week 7 is where divisions/conferences can be won and where some teams will completely drop out of the playoff race. Alabama at Texas A&M, Oklahoma vs Texas, Notre Dame vs USC, Florida at LSU.

3. Heisman Race - A lot of big name quarterbacks whose teams will be in the playoff hunt: Tua, Lawrence, Fields, and Hurts... May even throw Fromm, Eason, Ehlinger in there.

4. Breakout Players - Who will come out of nowhere and have a breakout season, like Quinnen Williams in 2018? Marvin Wilson at FSU and Xavier Thomas at Clemson stand out to me on defense. For offense, Justin Fields and Chuba Hubbard.

Good analysis of the QB Transfers and pointing out the great matchups in Week 7. I've always been against players transferring but given the domino effect of coaching changes, I'm really looking forward this new era of a free agency type aspect of the NCAA (transfer portal). I'm looking forward to seeing Jacob Eason play again. A few years back (2016), in a really bad loss to Mississippi, I swear his WRs couldn't catch any of his passes so I'm wondering if his failure to retain the QB job was his fault or his WRs fault --- or perhaps a little of both most likely.

I'm looking forward to seeing true Soph Justyn Ross (WR- Clemson). Dude was making crazy Randy Moss type catches in the BCS Championship.