Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue has been absent from offseason workouts

(05-07-2019, 02:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 01:50 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I don't understand people who make comments like NH3 did. Myles and Telvin are far and away out best LBs and are both some of the better LBs in the entire league.

I think some folks are just letting themselves get a little carried away by the Williams pick and the Ryan signing. 
It's that time of year when we read the tea leaves a bit too intently and try to speculate potential shake-ups to the projected depth chart.  

Telvin's dip in performance last season has some folks overreacting, as does his absence from voluntary workouts. 

Another subset of fans are unwaveringly convinced that Jack is not a middle linebacker and won't improve enough to man that position well in 2019.  I think he was drafted to be the middle linebacker and he has easily played well enough to deserve another chance at working the position on a 3 down basis in 2019. 

I think Williams is simply a possible way out from under Telvin's contract in 2020 and Ryan is a good insurance policy/back-up for Jack, good depth,  and a possible base down SAM in the meantime.

If I remember correctly, that is exactly why he was drafted.  He was/is Poz's replacement.  People saying that his "natural" position is otherwise seem to forget that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-07-2019, 02:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 01:50 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I don't understand people who make comments like NH3 did. Myles and Telvin are far and away out best LBs and are both some of the better LBs in the entire league.

I think some folks are just letting themselves get a little carried away by the Williams pick and the Ryan signing. 
It's that time of year when we read the tea leaves a bit too intently and try to speculate potential shake-ups to the projected depth chart.  

Telvin's dip in performance last season has some folks overreacting, as does his absence from voluntary workouts. 

Another subset of fans are unwaveringly convinced that Jack is not a middle linebacker and won't improve enough to man that position well in 2019.  I think he was drafted to be the middle linebacker and he has easily played well enough to deserve another chance at working the position on a 3 down basis in 2019. 

I think Williams is simply a possible way out from under Telvin's contract in 2020 and Ryan is a good insurance policy/back-up for Jack, good depth,  and a possible base down SAM in the meantime.

Well said.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2019, 09:20 PM by NH3.)

(05-07-2019, 12:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 06:28 AM)NH3 Wrote: I Concur on your statement and I also didn't state that they're "going anywhere". Miles Jack isn't an natural MLB. He will be replaced at that position and possibly moved to his natural position at the Sam LB. Telvin Smith had an down year in 2018 as we all know and if he doesn't rebound, he will not be our starting Will LB, hinse my previous statement that they could be replaced.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
You said they are not our best LBs in 2019.  Who is then?

For starters, let's look at Josh Allen as the premiere rusher and Quincy Williams as the thumper. Now, I do realize that neither of the aforementioned has played an down in the NFL, BUT watch their tape and prove me wrong. Allen vs. Unique and Jack vs. Williams. Unique is the man in my opinion and he deservers to be paid accordingly but it may not be w/our Jaguars. Also consider our recently signed FA MLB.

Can we afford to pay big contracts to Yannick, Jack and Smith? 

No we cannot due to our salary cap issues so whom do we retain? We've drafted to the point that we Will Not have to be shackled in such an predicament.

New England Patriots
Pittsburgh Steelers
Green Bay Packers

These are just a few teams that utilizes this approach to stay out of Salary Cap Hell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-07-2019, 09:18 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 12:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You said they are not our best LBs in 2019.  Who is then?

For starters, let's look at Josh Allen as the premiere rusher and Quincy Williams as the thumper. Now, I do realize that neither of the aforementioned has played an down in the NFL, BUT watch their tape and prove me wrong. Allen vs. Unique and Jack vs. Williams. Unique is the man in my opinion and he deservers to be paid accordingly but it may not be w/our Jaguars. Also consider our recently signed FA MLB.

No we cannot due to our salary cap issues so whom do we retain? We've drafted to the point that we Will Not have to be shackled in such an predicament.

New England Patriots
Pittsburgh Steelers
Green Bay Packers

These are just a few teams that utilizes this approach to stay out of Salary Cap Hell.

NH3...

Since when are we in "Salary Cap Hell?"

(05-07-2019, 11:28 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 09:18 PM)NH3 Wrote: For starters, let's look at Josh Allen as the premiere rusher and Quincy Williams as the thumper. Now, I do realize that neither of the aforementioned has played an down in the NFL, BUT watch their tape and prove me wrong. Allen vs. Unique and Jack vs. Williams. Unique is the man in my opinion and he deservers to be paid accordingly but it may not be w/our Jaguars. Also consider our recently signed FA MLB.

New England Patriots
Pittsburgh Steelers
Green Bay Packers

NH3...

Since when are we in "Salary Cap Hell?"

We began the offseason projected to be well over the cap and had to suffer a few losses as a result including Jermey Parnell, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Carlos Hyde, TJ Yeldon, Malik Jackson and Aaron Gipson. 
'02

(05-08-2019, 12:10 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 11:28 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Since when are we in "Salary Cap Hell?"

We began the offseason projected to be well over the cap and had to suffer a few losses as a result including Jermey Parnell, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Carlos Hyde, TJ Yeldon, Malik Jackson and Aaron Gipson. 

And? Each of those players underperformed or their replacements were already on the team and a logical cut. The only real loss of that group was Yeldon and Gip. 

We easily maneuvered opening cap space to sign a QB for $20+ million while still paying the guy we cut what, $12mil? 

The only players making over $15m against the cap next season are Dareus, Foles, Bouye, and Calais. We can free up $20m in cap by cutting Dareus alone.

We are not in "salary cap hell"

(05-08-2019, 12:32 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 12:10 AM)Jags02 Wrote: We began the offseason projected to be well over the cap and had to suffer a few losses as a result including Jermey Parnell, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Carlos Hyde, TJ Yeldon, Malik Jackson and Aaron Gipson. 

And? Each of those players underperformed or their replacements were already on the team and a logical cut. The only real loss of that group was Yeldon and Gip. 

We easily maneuvered opening cap space to sign a QB for $20+ million while still paying the guy we cut what, $12mil? 

The only players making over $15m against the cap next season are Dareus, Foles, Bouye, and Calais. We can free up $20m in cap by cutting Dareus alone.

Truer words...

Also - Bouye's dead cap in 2020 is only like 4 mil.
If they draft a stud corner next year, they can clear 11.5 mil by releasing him.

(05-08-2019, 12:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 12:32 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: And? Each of those players underperformed or their replacements were already on the team and a logical cut. The only real loss of that group was Yeldon and Gip. 

Truer words...

If they draft a stud corner next year, they can clear 11.5 mil by releasing him.

I'm totally against the notion of potentially releasing Bouye. Heck, the guy is just as good as Ramsey aside from Ramsey's more incredible INTs. Simply put, any secondary in the league including ours is instantly elite with Ramsey and Bouye back there, but take either out and that secondary probably collapses like ours did last year a few times. To say even a first-round CB could come in and replace Bouye as a rookie is wishful thinking.

As for being in "salary cap hell," we're basically in it. When you have to cut players you'd rather keep like you're suggesting with Dareus and Bouye, that's what cap hell is. 
'02

(05-08-2019, 12:58 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 12:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Truer words...

I'm totally against the notion of potentially releasing Bouye. Heck, the guy is just as good as Ramsey aside from Ramsey's more incredible INTs. Simply put, any secondary in the league including ours is instantly elite with Ramsey and Bouye back there, but take either out and that secondary probably collapses like ours did last year a few times. To say even a first-round CB could come in and replace Bouye as a rookie is wishful thinking.

As for being in "salary cap hell," we're basically in it. When you have to cut players you'd rather keep like you're suggesting with Dareus and Bouye, that's what cap hell is. 

I think you might have a proclivity for hanging on to good but expensive players who can be replaced with cheap young talent to the overall betterment of the franchise.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019, 06:52 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-08-2019, 12:58 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 12:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Truer words...

Agreed, I think there are a number of guys I would cut before Bouye.  As you said, I think Bouye is just as good as Ramsey and Ramsey will want a lot more money. Bouye has been a huge part of our top 5 D the last couple years

(05-08-2019, 06:48 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 12:58 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm totally against the notion of potentially releasing Bouye. Heck, the guy is just as good as Ramsey aside from Ramsey's more incredible INTs. Simply put, any secondary in the league including ours is instantly elite with Ramsey and Bouye back there, but take either out and that secondary probably collapses like ours did last year a few times. To say even a first-round CB could come in and replace Bouye as a rookie is wishful thinking.

Agreed, I think there are a number of guys I would cut before Bouye.  As you said, I think Bouye is just as good as Ramsey and Ramsey will want a lot more money.  Bouye has been a huge part of our top 5 D the last couple years

There are a number of guys I would cut before Bouye too. 

I'm just pointing out the money they'd save. And if they indeed decide to keep Ngakoue, Ramsey AND Jack, then Bouye's cap space may be needed.

(05-08-2019, 08:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 06:48 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agreed, I think there are a number of guys I would cut before Bouye.  As you said, I think Bouye is just as good as Ramsey and 8Ramsey will want a lot more money.  Bouye has been a huge part of our top 5 D the last couple years

There are a number of guys I would cut before Bouye too. 

I'm just pointing out the money they'd save. And if they indeed decide to keep Ngakoue, Ramsey AND Jack, then Bouye's cap space may be needed.
I'm not so sure they would cut Bouye and sign Ramsey to a deal 5 mil a year more, which is probably what he will want.  I dont think they would keep Jack before him either

(05-08-2019, 08:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 08:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There are a number of guys I would cut before Bouye too. 

I'm not so sure they would cut Bouye and sign Ramsey to a deal 5 mil a year more, which is probably what he will want.  I dont think they would keep Jack before him either

It wouldn't be surprising at all if they cut Bouye and paid Jalen 5 million more imo

(05-08-2019, 08:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 08:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There are a number of guys I would cut before Bouye too. 

That's sort of the kicker. 

It comes down to keeping Jack or not. 

How MJ plays in 2019 will be a big factor in how much cap slashing they will or won't need to do after this season.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019, 09:28 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-08-2019, 09:06 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 08:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm not so sure they would cut Bouye and sign Ramsey to a deal 5 mil a year more, which is probably what he will want.  I dont think they would keep Jack before him either

It wouldn't be surprising at all if they cut Bouye and paid Jalen 5 million more imo

It would be to me,I also think it would be a mistake.  Cut I guy that would make 5 mil less a year and that is just as good. Not to mention no drama

(05-08-2019, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 08:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm not so sure they would cut Bouye and sign Ramsey to a deal 5 mil a year more, which is probably what he will want.  I dont think they would keep Jack before him either

That's sort of the kicker. 

How MJ plays in 2019 will be a big factor in how much cap slashing they will or won't need to do after this season.

That we're even having this conversation is a sign of being in salary cap hell. 
'02

There's guys like Lee that will go

(05-08-2019, 10:06 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: There's guys like Lee that will go

That's a given. 

I bring up the Bouye contract as something additional.

(05-08-2019, 09:32 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 09:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: That's sort of the kicker. 

That we're even having this conversation is a sign of being in salary cap hell. 

I have a different definition of hell than you do apparently. 

Every successful franchise has to rid themselves of big contracts and replace them with talented and more affordable rookies from time to time. 
It's not that big of a deal. 

The Jags just did it with Malik Jackson and Taven Bryan, and it looks like they may be considering a similar move with Telvin and Quincy Williams next offseason. 

I think it's routine roster/cap management and I'm merely pointing out the possibility that Bouye's cap hit in 2020 might come under scrutiny from the front office.

(05-08-2019, 12:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 09:32 AM)Jags02 Wrote: That we're even having this conversation is a sign of being in salary cap hell. 

I have a different definition of hell than you do apparently. 

Every successful franchise has to rid themselves of big contracts and replace them with talented and more affordable rookies from time to time. 
It's not that big of a deal. 

The Jags just did it with Malik Jackson and Taven Bryan, and it looks like they may be considering a similar move with Telvin and Quincy Williams next offseason. 

I think it's routine roster/cap management and I'm merely pointing out the possibility that Bouye's cap hit in 2020 might come under scrutiny from the front office.

I'm not so sure my definition is so different, but like Dante's Inferno, there are different levels. We're certainly not in it as deep as we were after the 2000 season. I'm positive if we started out $30 mil under instead of $10 mil over, Malik would still be on the roster and Bouye wouldn't even be mentioned in this discussion. Heck, if we had money to spend like the Raiders, AB might be on our roster. 
'02