Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue has been absent from offseason workouts

(05-09-2019, 11:50 AM)Rico Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 11:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What would you do if we tag him and dont give him the big contract and he holds out?  Would you just do like the Steelers did with Bell and get no picks?

Why would you think Bell would have (or maybe I should just say would of for you) anything to do with Ramsey?  They are two completely different situations.  Bell was the most used back...hell, maybe player...in the NFL.  He was concerned about guarantees because he had taken so much punishment over his career and playing on the franchise tag offerred him zero future guarantees.  The shelf life of an NFL running back is much shorter than a DB.  But you pull this what if he does what Bell did out of thin air.

I didnt say that, NYC said he thinks he would hold out

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-09-2019, 12:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 11:50 AM)Rico Wrote: Why would you think Bell would have (or maybe I should just say would of for you) anything to do with Ramsey?  They are two completely different situations.  Bell was the most used back...hell, maybe player...in the NFL.  He was concerned about guarantees because he had taken so much punishment over his career and playing on the franchise tag offerred him zero future guarantees.  The shelf life of an NFL running back is much shorter than a DB.  But you pull this what if he does what Bell did out of thin air.

I didnt say that, NYC said he thinks he would hold out

I said I think he'd hold out next offseason if they don't pay him. I didn't say he'd take a year off like Bell. In fact I specifically said he wouldn't. 

I also said three separate times (now four) that I believe it won't matter because the Jags will most likely give him a huge new contract before July of 2020. 

You brought up Bell. Not me.

(05-09-2019, 12:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I didnt say that, NYC said he thinks he would hold out

I said I think he'd hold out next offseason if they don't pay him. I didn't say he'd take a year off like Bell. In fact I specifically said he wouldn't. 

I also said three separate times (now four) that I believe it won't matter because the Jags will most likely give him a huge new contract before July of 2020. 

You brought up Bell. Not me.
You said you thought he would hold out if we tagged him.   I didnt say he would hold out, I asked you since you since you thought he would hold out if tagged, how long would he hold out for.  I brought up Bell because if he held out, could it go that far?

Was it flgators who said Ramsey would be a bust at corner be because of his hands or am I thinking of someone else

(05-09-2019, 12:35 PM)JackCity Wrote: Was it flgators who said Ramsey would be a bust at corner be because of his hands or am I thinking of someone else

Was either him or tealtime. flg&j  was going with the "he's a FS not a CB" thing. 
Either way, he's been rolling with the Bouye>Ramsey thing since 2017.
I'm not even gonna start in on the college-bias issue.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2019, 12:41 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-09-2019, 12:35 PM)JackCity Wrote: Was it flgators who said Ramsey would be a bust at corner be because of his hands or am I thinking of someone else

I said i wanted him to play FS which I still think he could be elite at

Ramsey wouldn't ever play FS because of money but if he would play FS this year for us I think it would make our D even better

The Hargreaves > Ramsey takes look quite poor in hindsight.

(05-08-2019, 04:30 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 03:25 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm not so sure my definition is so different, but like Dante's Inferno, there are different levels. We're certainly not in it as deep as we were after the 2000 season. I'm positive if we started out $30 mil under instead of $10 mil over, Malik would still be on the roster and Bouye wouldn't even be mentioned in this discussion. Heck, if we had money to spend like the Raiders, AB might be on our roster. 

If they get deals done for both Ngakoue and Ramsey before the start of the 2020 season, then they'll have to make some room somewhere. (If Jack gets extended it really gets interesting)

Here is a list of players they'd save the most by releasing after 2019:

Dareus  ($20 mil)
Campbell ($15 mil)
Bouye (11.5 mil)
Linder (8 mil) 
Telvin  (7 mil)
Lee   (5 mil)

Dareus may be a restructure candidate (again) but they'll probably just look to replace him given the numbers. 
Campbell could be a restructure candidate, but they'll probably move on unless he stays a step ahead of father time this year again.
Linder will depend on health, performance and what they see coming their way in the draft.
Telvin is gone unless he lights it up this year on par w/ 2017 or better. (very possible)
Lee will be gone unless he and Foles make some magical connection that proves worth preserving. 

Bouye... well, he's on the list as one of the largest potential savings, so he can't afford to slip in performance - but I'd imagine he's safe in 2020 unless he drops off and the Jags don't move on from Dareus and Campbell for some reason.

Dareus, Campbell, Telvin and Lee are all much more likely to be released. Maybe Linder too, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Echoing much of this post  ^ Hays Carlyon just posted this article which expresses much of the same but with the wise suggestion of re-doing Bouye's deal to get Yannick signed this offseason. 

https://www.1010xl.com/2019/05/09/examin...to-future/

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2019, 01:12 PM by Cleatwood.)

(05-09-2019, 12:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I said i wanted him to play FS which I still think he could be elite at

Ramsey wouldn't ever play FS because of money but if he would play FS this year for us I think it would make our D even better
Ummm what?

With all the ridiculous things you bring up (Tebow HOF), this may be up there as one of the craziest. Explain to me how moving an elite corner to free safety makes this team better? How exactly would he be an elite free safety? He's a top 3 man to man corner but he's only above average in zone which is basically what a free safety does half the time.

Ramsey wouldn't play free safety because he wouldn't be as good at it as he is corner.

(05-09-2019, 12:55 PM)JackCity Wrote: The Hargreaves > Ramsey takes look quite poor in hindsight.
I'm not sure what some people are watching. There wasn't a single quality for being a cornerback that Hargreaves was better at than Ramsey.

(05-09-2019, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Was either him or tealtime. flg&j  was going with the "he's a FS not a CB" thing. 

No...it was that goofball TealTimeRadio that said he couldn't catch.

I wonder what ever happened to that guy?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2019, 01:17 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-09-2019, 01:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I said i wanted him to play FS which I still think he could be elite at

Ummm what?

With all the ridiculous things you bring up (Tebow HOF), this may be up there as one of the craziest. Explain to me how moving an elite corner to free safety makes this team better? How exactly would he be an elite free safety? He's a top 3 man to man corner but he's only above average in zone which is basically what a free safety does half the time.

Ramsey wouldn't play free safety because he wouldn't be as good at it as he is corner.

Ramsey was a better safety in college than he was a corner as well.  FS is our weakest position on D imo and I feel pretty comfortable with Bouye and Hayden on the outside. Ramsey has great length, speed, instincts and range that would make him a top FS.  No double in my mind about that really. If Ramsey was our FS we wouldn't have any weakness on D. He can be a great corner or FS

(05-09-2019, 01:16 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Was either him or tealtime. flg&j  was going with the "he's a FS not a CB" thing. 

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say he's doing time for pulling a gun on his son's little league umpire over called strikes. Patiently waiting each week for his 15 minutes of computer time when he can pester the [BLEEP] out of some fanbase somewhere with his borderline illiteracy and fantasy world hot takes.

(05-09-2019, 01:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 01:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Ummm what?

Ramsey was a better safety in college than he was a corner as well.  FS is our weakest position on D imo and I feel pretty comfortable with Bouye and Hayden on the outside. Ramsey has great length, speed, instincts and range that would make him a top FS.  No double in my mind about that really. If Ramsey was our FS we wouldn't have any weakness on D.  He can be a great corner or FS

He was arguably the best shutdown corner in the country the year he came out. Where as in 2014 he played star which is a DB/LB hybrid. 

Also DJ Hayden is yet to play any good football at outside corner so far in his career. Where as we already know he can be good in what our nickel package asks him to do

(05-09-2019, 01:16 PM)Rico Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Was either him or tealtime. flg&j  was going with the "he's a FS not a CB" thing. 

Probably busy,  back on his talk radio

(05-09-2019, 01:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 01:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Ummm what?

Ramsey was a better safety in college than he was a corner as well.  FS is our weakest position on D imo and I feel pretty comfortable with Bouye and Hayden on the outside. Ramsey has great length, speed, instincts and range that would make him a top FS.  No double in my mind about that really. If Ramsey was our FS we wouldn't have any weakness on D.  He can be a great corner or FS
So you know nothing about Hayden then do you?

He's actually a pretty awful outside corner. He's a very good nickel corner.

I just don't know why you would gamble on moving someone from a position where they are elite to a position which is less important.

(05-09-2019, 01:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 01:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey was a better safety in college than he was a corner as well.  FS is our weakest position on D imo and I feel pretty comfortable with Bouye and Hayden on the outside. Ramsey has great length, speed, instincts and range that would make him a top FS.  No double in my mind about that really. If Ramsey was our FS we wouldn't have any weakness on D.  He can be a great corner or FS
So you know nothing about Hayden then do you?

I just don't know why you would gamble on moving someone from a position where they are elite to a position which is less important.

Earlier in his career he was, I think he has improved a good bit.  Some dont even think he's a good slot corner

(05-09-2019, 03:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 01:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So you know nothing about Hayden then do you?

Earlier in his career he was, I think he has improved a good bit.  Some dont even think he's a good slot corner

Hayden is a very good nickelback for the Jags thus far. 

There has been zero indication he could move to Ramsey's position and perform anywhere near a level that wouldn't represent a MAJOR drop-off at the spot.

With all the releases today and Telvin being gone for the year...Yannik contract forthcoming? Hmm.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(05-09-2019, 03:56 PM)B2hibry Wrote: With all the releases today and Telvin being gone for the year...Yannik contract forthcoming? Hmm.

Yannick definitely has more leverage than ever. He and Ramsey should both seriously be considering holding out, the team desperately needs both.

(05-09-2019, 01:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 01:16 PM)Rico Wrote: No...it was that goofball TealTimeRadio that said he couldn't catch.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say he's doing time for pulling a gun on his son's little league umpire over called strikes. Patiently waiting each week for his 15 minutes of computer time when he can pester the [BLEEP] out of some fanbase somewhere with his borderline illiteracy and fantasy world hot takes.

He's in one of those rah-rah-rah Jags Facebook groups, and still posts in his own 'unique' style. I instantly knew who it was as soon as I saw his posts, lol. Man, those Facebook groups are depressing.