Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Exercising his 1st amendment and gets arrested

Florida man arrested for refusing to remove vulgar sticker: 'They're just words'

A Florida man was arrested over the weekend for refusing to remove a sticker from his vehicle’s window that crudely described a person’s sexual appetites.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-man-a...just-words
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not sure why posting a preference for donkey meat is considered obscene.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM by homebiscuit.)

The boy wants attention. He got it. Frankly, I don’t care to be lectured on constitutional rights by someone who feels the need stand in a gutter to get it.

I love how this article is about a Florida man being arrested for a sticker (seriously?) and the top trending article in the US is about a "Florida man" blaming demons for making him beat his girlfriend while she played video games.

(05-08-2019, 08:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: The boy wants attention. He got it. Frankly, I don’t care to be lectured on constitutional rights by someone who feels the need stand in a gutter to get it.

This. 

I actually heard this story on the radio up here in NC. They didn't say what the obscenity was, just that the sticker was considered obscene and he refused and argued. 

I recently saw a sticker on an SUV that read, "baby up in this [BLEEP]" instead of "baby on board". There are movies and tv shows with foul language in their titles. I don't see the point in it all. It doesn't make the person, the movie, or the tv show sound hip, cool, edgy, etc. It makes it all look and sound like this guy (a gutter rat) who said it's up to parents to explain what his sticker means when their kid asks. What parent wants to explain to their 8 year old what that means? Or are kids that knowledgeable about these things?

It looks to me like the cop was triggered.

While I don't appreciate the message on his sticker (I could care less if he likes to eat "anus").  It shouldn't be and is not a "crime" to express one's self on their own property.  After all, there is such a thing as The First Amendment.

As far as the "obscenity law", who is to say what is obscene and what is not?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(05-08-2019, 04:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It looks to me like the cop was triggered.

While I don't appreciate the message on his sticker (I could care less if he likes to eat "anus").  It shouldn't be and is not a "crime" to express one's self on their own property.  After all, there is such a thing as The First Amendment.

Like you, I don't care what he likes to eat. I told my husband a similar thing- do and say what you want in private, on your property, in you own home, etc., I don't care. But when you're driving around town with this kind of stuff on your car, coming from your loud stereo in traffic, etc., it's a problem. 

My issue with it is as I stated above, how does a parent explain what that means to their young child? 

As someone who was subjected to a lot of adult stuff way before I should have been it's a personal thing and I hate that kids are having to see and hear stuff at such young ages in such public places. Kids can't unsee and unhear things anymore than adults can. That stuff stays with you and it's not good. 

Whatever happened to common decency? Or has that gone out the door along with common courtesy and being respectful? Being willfully offensive shows a lack of all of these.

He'll beat it, and he'll win a lot of money.

If that's enough to land you in jail, then I belong there too.

(05-08-2019, 09:16 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 04:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: It looks to me like the cop was triggered.

Like you, I don't care what he likes to eat. I told my husband a similar thing- do and say what you want in private, on your property, in you own home, etc., I don't care. But when you're driving around town with this kind of stuff on your car, coming from your loud stereo in traffic, etc., it's a problem. 

My issue with it is as I stated above, how does a parent explain what that means to their young child? 

As someone who was subjected to a lot of adult stuff way before I should have been it's a personal thing and I hate that kids are having to see and hear stuff at such young ages in such public places. Kids can't unsee and unhear things anymore than adults can. That stuff stays with you and it's not good. 

Whatever happened to common decency? Or has that gone out the door along with common courtesy and being respectful? Being willfully offensive shows a lack of all of these.

Common decency is not guaranteed by the US Constitution. The right to freedom of speech is. If parents think don't want to explain the concept of good taste vs. poor taste to their children, they're free to petition for a Constitutional amendment that tells us which words are ok to say or display in public and which aren't.

And then people like me will devise new words with the same meaning, forcing you snulkers to get another tangin' Constitutional amendment to cover the new ones.

I hear "[BLEEP]" on TV all the time.

Cop was being an [BLEEP].
The citizen who wants to ride around with that type of sticker is likely also an [BLEEP].

But it is his right to be an [BLEEP].

Obscene law is obscene.
What snowflake passed an obscenity law? So dumb...

The whole argument about parents having to explain it...
well... if your child is young enough to be naive, tell them he likes to eat donkey, because an adult donkey is an [BLEEP]
if your child knows better, the public school system and their peers have already ruined them and you should check their internet history.

God forbid anyone has to be a parent and explain to their kids some people are [BLEEP] and we don't want to be [BLEEP] so WE won't act THAT way.

Charges Dropped Against Florida Man Busted For "I Eat [BLEEP]" Car Sticker

Four days after a Florida Man was arrested for having an “I Eat [BLEEP]” sticker on the rear window of his truck, prosecutors have dropped a pair of misdemeanor charges filed against the 23-year-old motorist.

http://thesmokinggun.com/buster/florida-...kAOqKsln30
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(05-09-2019, 09:37 AM)Kane Wrote: I hear "[BLEEP]" on TV all the time.

Cop was being an [BLEEP].
The citizen who wants to ride around with that type of sticker is likely also an [BLEEP].

But it is his right to be an [BLEEP].

Obscene law is obscene.
What snowflake passed an obscenity law? So dumb...

The whole argument about parents having to explain it...
well... if your child is young enough to be naive, tell them he likes to eat donkey, because an adult donkey is an [BLEEP]
if your child knows better, the public school system and their peers have already ruined them and you should check their internet history.

God forbid anyone has to be a parent and explain to their kids some people are [BLEEP] and we don't want to be [BLEEP] so WE won't act THAT way.

I've never raised a kid (thank God) so I have no clue what they do and don't know at any given age anymore. I guess with my personal background this is a sensitive subject for me. 

I didn't even know there was an obscenity law.

Who is to say what is obscene, you ask?  We all draw the line in a different place.  And No one is ever going to be happy with where that line is drawn.  But in a civilized society, we come to some sort of compromise. 

So I wouldn’t make blanket statements about free speech.   It’s not that simple.

And here I was thinking everybody eats [BLEEP], it's a given, surely he meant he eats Democrats.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]