Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How do you guys feel about the FS position?

With Ramsey and Bouye being a top CB tandem on the planet, it seems like they can stick an average player at FS and be just fine.

But right now I think that spot on defense is an open competition. Or maybe we sign a FS on cut day.

What do you guys think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-09-2019, 12:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: With Ramsey and Bouye being a top CB tandem on the planet, it seems like they can stick an average player at FS and be just fine.

But right now I think that spot on defense is an open competition. Or maybe we sign a FS on cut day.

What do you guys think?
I think they're comfortable with Wilson for now. But if an opportunity comes up within reason they'll pull the trigger.

I agree that we can probably get away with average play at FS. But I expect mental errors and missed tackles from him and Harrison at times. Just due to inexperience.

But hopefully Bouye, Ramsey and Hayden all hold up well this year physically. Otherwise we'll probably be crying for a FS this year when an average CB takes the field due to injury.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think they'll be watching the waiver wire for some insurance but they feel good about Wilson holding it down - and they have some interesting depth prospects in camp.

I disagree that they can stick an average player there and be just fine. This scheme doesn't allow for that IMO. The better offensive coordinator's find ways to isolate the safeties in coverage when facing the Jags.

Wilson looked good in spot duty last year (222 def snaps in four games) and I think they may be onto something pretty good there at a cheap price. September 8th vs the chefs will be telling in that regard as Reid and Beiniemy are sure to test out Wilson's readiness.

It's a position with so little talent that I genuinely believe a UDFA could win the starting job. If they want to try Meeks at safety for whatever reason, I think he'd walk in the starter.

(05-09-2019, 12:24 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 12:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: With Ramsey and Bouye being a top CB tandem on the planet, it seems like they can stick an average player at FS and be just fine.

What do you guys think?
I think they're comfortable with Wilson for now. But if an opportunity comes up within reason they'll pull the trigger.

I agree that we can probably get away with average play at FS. But I expect mental errors and missed tackles from him and Harrison at times. Just due to inexperience.

But hopefully Bouye, Ramsey and Hayden all hold up well this year physically. Otherwise we'll probably be crying for a FS this year when an average CB takes the field due to injury.

Wilson has played FS in spots the last few years and never looked out of place. i can't remember a time when he missed a tackle, took a bad angle, or just got outright scorched by his assignment. I don't think lack of experience will be a problem for him, he should be fine .. just don't expect an All-Pro season.

Harrison is a rising star at SS and should shine in that role this year.

I also think Cody Brown (Safety we signed from the AAFL's Salt Lake Stallions) is a guy to watch too.

I'm still convinced that if Deionte Thompson hadn't been taken by the Cardinals literally a pick before at the top of the 5th round, they were about to pull the trigger on him and pair him with Ronnie Harrison who he started 2-3 years next to at Alabama. They may look to the waiver wire for insurance as cuts come out of camp, cap casualties etc. but if they're holding their own come training camp I wouldn't worry.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2019, 02:15 PM by knarnn.)

I’m cautiously optimistic, but harken back to the “dark ages” prior to signing Gipson where FS was a sore spot on this team in our current scheme. Maybe it won’t be as bad with Wash’s scheme tweaks vs Bradley’s and “interchangeable” safeties. Nick Foles play in practice will determine early whether or not it’ll be an issue as he likes to push the ball deep. If push comes to shove Tre Boston is still available.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Wilson has been a solid player in limited action. Guys like this that can play solidly, but are on minimal deals are very healthy for a team.

I think Wilson could be fine, but don't feel great that they just handed him the job no questions asked with such a small sample.

Kinda reminds me of when Roy Miller got hurt and Abry Jones filled in admirably as the NT in a small sample. Then they cut Roy and no questions asked handed the job to Abry, who proved that he is a very solid rotational DL but not a full time starting nose.

I keep thinking Zedrick Woods takes over at FS. The guy ran a 4.29 at the combine, and when it comes to tackling, he doesn't miss. His missed tackle percentage was by far the lowest in the SEC. He also did a fine job covering RBs and TEs in college. His hips are a little too stiff and his coverage skills a little too raw to play CB, but I feel like he'd do just fine at FS. He did play a little more at SS than he did FS, but he played both. 
'02

(05-09-2019, 06:28 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I keep thinking Zedrick Woods takes over at FS. The guy ran a 4.29 at the combine, and when it comes to tackling, he doesn't miss. His missed tackle percentage was by far the lowest in the SEC. He also did a fine job covering RBs and TEs in college. His hips are a little too stiff and his coverage skills a little too raw to play CB, but I feel like he'd do just fine at FS. He did play a little more at SS than he did FS, but he played both. 
Matt Miller compared him to Tashaun Gipson. I will take that.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'm starting to think it's the SS position we need to question. Last year Harrison won the start at SS while Wilson was the backup FS. Simple, right?

Not so fast. From the Day 5 OTA article...

Quote:Wilson may not be thinking of himself as starter quite yet, but make no mistake:

He’s expected to start at strong safety next season, and he and second-year veteran Ronnie Harrison are two of the Jaguars’ major offseason stories.

'02

(05-31-2019, 05:55 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I'm starting to think it's the SS position we need to question. Last year Harrison won the start at SS while Wilson was the backup FS. Simple, right?

Not so fast. From the Day 5 OTA article...

Quote:Wilson may not be thinking of himself as starter quite yet, but make no mistake:

He’s expected to start at strong safety next season, and he and second-year veteran Ronnie Harrison are two of the Jaguars’ major offseason stories.

There has been a fair amount of speculation that Harrison would play FS by analysts outside the local media. 
I was skeptical of that, but Caldwell, Wash and Marrone have all spoken about his versatility before, so I guess we'll see how that shakes out in the coming weeks. 

I like that they'll be able to disguise coverages a bit more with these two compared to Church/Gipson. 

Considering the way Wash began sticking Gipson on certain TEs late last season a bit more aggressively, maybe this is part of Harrison's intended role at FS if that's where they indeed play him.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2019, 07:28 AM by NH3.)

Wilson and Harrison can be an serious tandem for us. Yes, both had spot duties last year but they played well enough that the front office released the starters and allowed them to walk at their respective positions.

Harrison, in my opinion will be stellar. He has the size, the range, speed, all of his boxes are checked AND he was drafted for the impending takeover. Did y'all see the effortless one handed catch from the DB drill in OTA?

Wilson has worked his butt off to show the coaching staff that he's worthy of being on the field. So much that the front office didn't even look to acquire someone else for the starting position. He should be penciled in baring injuries.

Overall, I like what we have at both positions.

OTAs Day 5: Wilson "More than ready". Read the article on our website.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Wilson is ready and looking to win the starting gig, but there are two very impressive UDFA Ss who both have a very legit shot at beating Wilson out in camp. I suspect that will happen, and that Wilson will simply continue on in his role as safety depth. With that in mind, it's starting to make more sense that these two rookie safeties project more as SSs than FS. Woods had CB speed but is still more of a SS, and the guy from Wyoming is flat out a SS. The battle between these three is far from settled.

With that said, we know Harrison is starting but it's just a question of where. Given what Oesher just said here, it appears Harrison is our starting FS. 
'02

I can probably do it. Being in the NFL ain't no thing.

I'm skeptical of how they hold up over the course of the year , expect a lot of mental errors and blow coverages. Week 1 Vs Andy Reid will be a huge test as you can be sure he will have them isolated in his game plans

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2019, 07:37 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

With Hill out if Wash is smart he would put Ramsey on Kelce and Bouye on Watkins when we play man. Hopefully our Dline dominates their online this time around

I feel pretty good about Harrison and Wilson safety combo

(05-31-2019, 07:31 PM)JackCity Wrote: I'm skeptical of how they hold up over the course of the year , expect a lot of mental errors and blow coverages. Week 1 Vs Andy Reid will be a huge test as you can be sure he will have them isolated in his game plans

Shhh...
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I'm a bit apprehensive