Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith Taking the Year Off in 2019

did he un-quit yet? just checking

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 08:35 PM by RicoTx.)

(05-30-2019, 06:49 PM)VondyP Wrote: did he un-quit yet? just checking

Have you gotten a life yet doughboy?  Just checking...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 09:42 PM by Jags.)

Here is Exhibit FG.   Along with exhibits A,B,CD...through FF (the other 158 posts) of why America thinks people from Tennessee are [BLEEP].

Edit-granted, I was hesitant to use that word.  But am surprised (I guess I’m not) that it’s banned.  Anyway, more proof of the lack of brain cells in that region.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 09:58 PM by NH3.)

(05-30-2019, 09:38 PM)Jags Wrote:

Here is Exhibit FG.   Along with exhibits A,B,CD...through FF (the other 158 posts) of why America thinks people from Tennessee are [BLEEP].

Edit-granted, I was hesitant to use that word.  But am surprised (I guess I’m not) that it’s banned.  Anyway, more proof of the lack of brain cells in that region.

LOL.

Jags, stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel. 

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-04-2019, 03:27 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...7820839937

Yeah, Calais talked to Telvin and basically said he hopes Telvin can take care of everything he's going through in time to be ready for week one.
'02

(06-05-2019, 03:49 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 03:27 PM)MikePete54 Wrote: https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...7820839937

Yeah, Calais talked to Telvin and basically said he hopes Telvin can take care of everything he's going through in time to be ready for week one.

Here's to wishful/positive thinking.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Unless Telvin talks to the Jags, they will need to take action. When mandatory reporting starts it will show what they think. They can fine him or ignore his absence. Generally teams don't fine you because they don't want to hurt the relationship. By camp though, he will be put on a list so they can replace his spot and he has to make a decision. He has to respond at some point to the team.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(06-05-2019, 09:35 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Unless Telvin talks to the Jags, they will need to take action. When mandatory reporting starts it will show what they think. They can fine him or ignore his absence. Generally teams don't fine you because they don't want to hurt the relationship. By camp though, he will be put on a list so they can replace his spot and he has to make a decision. He has to respond at some point to the team.

I'm just purely speculating and guessing but I would think that Telvin has been in contact (at least through his agent) with the front office of the team.  I say that because I assume that this also hurts his agent's paycheck.  I could be wrong about that, but it's just my thinking regarding this.

The bottom line is that whatever issue that he has is certainly a private one and should be left alone.  Team members that have said that they talked to him "understand and support him" so in my opinion it should just be left alone and doesn't need to be public.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-05-2019, 03:38 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 09:35 AM)p_rushing Wrote: Unless Telvin talks to the Jags, they will need to take action. When mandatory reporting starts it will show what they think. They can fine him or ignore his absence. Generally teams don't fine you because they don't want to hurt the relationship. By camp though, he will be put on a list so they can replace his spot and he has to make a decision. He has to respond at some point to the team.

I'm just purely speculating and guessing but I would think that Telvin has been in contact (at least through his agent) with the front office of the team.  I say that because I assume that this also hurts his agent's paycheck.  I could be wrong about that, but it's just my thinking regarding this.

The bottom line is that whatever issue that he has is certainly a private one and should be left alone.  Team members that have said that they talked to him "understand and support him" so in my opinion it should just be left alone and doesn't need to be public.
Yes the agent gets paid based on the contract amount, not sure if there are different terms or not if it is suspended for 1 year. At minimum they would lose 3% of his yearly amount. If he retires, I'm not sure if he can get money back from the agent if the Jags want his signing bonus back.

I doubt anything has been communicated officially yet. He has to play this carefully and per the CBA to avoid being fined and losing his signing bonus. The Jags also need to cap room back, so they have to make a decision.

He's already on a list at spotrac so I don't even know if he is or isn't. 
'02

There's is some sort of Did not report/non football injury type list he'll be put on.

They own his rights, he accrues no years, he gets no paychecks, not sure about the agent part... stands to reason the agent gets 3% of the total contract, regardless of how much would be actually collected? Hence why guys always want those guarantees and big up front cash. But I suppose it could be 3% each season...

If he decides he wants to come back... they'll more than likely and gladly drop whoever our 6th LB or 5th RB or whatever extra we're carrying.
The decisions are actually pretty easy.

Us fans should just start to operate on the idea he's done (perhaps forever) and if he comes back yay, if not, whatever.

(06-06-2019, 10:15 AM)Kane Wrote: ...

Us fans should just start to operate on the idea he's done (perhaps forever) and if he comes back yay, if not, whatever.

I'm already there. 

It's a shame because he was a really fun player to root for when he was playing well.  
I'm not optimistic he'll be back and I'm certain the team will have exhausted all efforts to completely replace him by the time he does.

(06-06-2019, 10:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 10:15 AM)Kane Wrote: ...

I'm already there. 

It's a shame because he was a really fun player to root for when he was playing well.  
I'm not optimistic he'll be back and I'm certain the team will have exhausted all efforts to completely replace him by the time he does.

Yup... let's be honest... barring a couple really good seasons, was he gonna be a long term fixture for our team?
I'm not so sure. Undersized fast linebackers seemingly come out every year, and while he definitely earned his 2nd contract from superb play... the signs were there of a decline and in the NFL a lost season for any reason can leave you left behind by someone younger, faster, and healthier.

The fact that Telvin recently placed his name in the Transfer Portal indicates that he is still not thinking clearly.

(06-06-2019, 11:14 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: The fact that Telvin recently placed his name in the Transfer Portal indicates that he is still not thinking clearly.

[Image: oXldkSl.gif]

(06-06-2019, 10:51 AM)Kane Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 10:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm already there. 

Yup... let's be honest... barring a couple really good seasons, was he gonna be a long term fixture for our team?
I'm not so sure. Undersized fast linebackers seemingly come out every year, and while he definitely earned his 2nd contract from superb play... the signs were there of a decline and in the NFL a lost season for any reason can leave you left behind by someone younger, faster, and healthier.

Signs of a decline did seem to show up last year, but remember this was an ascending player going into last year. Telvin has been one of the best players in the league over 2015, 2016 and 2017, and of those years 2017 was his best season.
'02

(06-06-2019, 12:07 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 10:51 AM)Kane Wrote: Yup... let's be honest... barring a couple really good seasons, was he gonna be a long term fixture for our team?

Signs of a decline did seem to show up last year, but remember this was an ascending player going into last year. Telvin has been one of the best players in the league over 2015, 2016 and 2017, and of those years 2017 was his best season.

Indeed. But that was probably his peak and taking a year off doesn't help a plateau it usually creates a dip or steep decline.
I'm not mad or trying to knock what he did. He was one of my favs for his time here. And his teammates seemingly love the guy.

I was thinking he should restructure his deal, but this might work out better. Although I won't lie, I'd rather have him on our team at least this season.
He's still a very talented very good LB.

(06-06-2019, 02:19 PM)Kane Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 12:07 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Signs of a decline did seem to show up last year, but remember this was an ascending player going into last year. Telvin has been one of the best players in the league over 2015, 2016 and 2017, and of those years 2017 was his best season.

Indeed. But that was probably his peak and taking a year off doesn't help a plateau it usually creates a dip or steep decline.
I'm not mad or trying to knock what he did. He was one of my favs for his time here. And his teammates seemingly love the guy.

I was thinking he should restructure his deal, but this might work out better. Although I won't lie, I'd rather have him on our team at least this season.

I think he's a good player and I hope he decides to come back, but I will stick to my position that, in the long run, having a 215 pound linebacker is a weakness that opponents will try to exploit.

(06-07-2019, 07:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 02:19 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. But that was probably his peak and taking a year off doesn't help a plateau it usually creates a dip or steep decline.

I think he's a good player and I hope he decides to come back, but I will stick to my position that, in the long run, having a 215 pound linebacker is a weakness that opponents will try to exploit.

While I don't see that as an unreasonable take, I am compelled to ask at what weight would Smith not be a liability in the way you envision here?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!