Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith Taking the Year Off in 2019

(06-07-2019, 07:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 02:19 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. But that was probably his peak and taking a year off doesn't help a plateau it usually creates a dip or steep decline.
I'm not mad or trying to knock what he did. He was one of my favs for his time here. And his teammates seemingly love the guy.

I was thinking he should restructure his deal, but this might work out better. Although I won't lie, I'd rather have him on our team at least this season.
He's still a very talented very good LB.

I think he's a good player and I hope he decides to come back, but I will stick to my position that, in the long run, having a 215 pound linebacker is a weakness that opponents will try to exploit.
Only while running. Having speed and quickness will win if things aren't executed perfectly. How often does the OL execute plays perfectly? Most of the time just getting in the way can blow the timing of a play and allow someone else to make a tackle.

While yes I would rather have a 240lb LB with speed, I'll take the smaller LB with speed over the bigger, slower LB as long as everything else is the same.

Poz was way too slow and big, but he has the instincts that Telvin doesn't have. Telvin was getting out of position and his speed couldn't catch up. Poz was just too slow to get into the correct position.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-07-2019, 07:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 02:19 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. But that was probably his peak and taking a year off doesn't help a plateau it usually creates a dip or steep decline.
I'm not mad or trying to knock what he did. He was one of my favs for his time here. And his teammates seemingly love the guy.

I was thinking he should restructure his deal, but this might work out better. Although I won't lie, I'd rather have him on our team at least this season.
He's still a very talented very good LB.

I think he's a good player and I hope he decides to come back, but I will stick to my position that, in the long run, having a 215 pound linebacker is a weakness that opponents will try to exploit.
I don't think my dude has been anywhere near 215 since the scouting combine! He looked like a buck 85 or 90 last year. Even so, his thin frame has held up better than I expected.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

I'd prefer someone like Ray Lewis on the inside and Lawrence Taylor on the outside. But then again, that's just my preferences.

(06-07-2019, 10:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 07:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think he's a good player and I hope he decides to come back, but I will stick to my position that, in the long run, having a 215 pound linebacker is a weakness that opponents will try to exploit.

While I don't see that as an unreasonable take, I am compelled to ask at what weight would Smith not be a liability in the way you envision here?

At least 230 if not more than that.  If 215 would hold up at LB, teams could play a safety at LB, and have a very fast defense.  But there's a reason no one does that, and that is, it's a huge liability in run defense.

give it up everyone telvin smith isn't playing this year. he may not ever come back either. I wouldn't hold your breath on him returning.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Jags fined him for missing mini camp, so he obviously isn't on a list yet and until he files the necessary paperwork he is still on the roster.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2019, 03:33 AM by MikePete54.)

https://twitter.com/TheJaguarsWire/statu...8862599169

[Image: Telvin-Smith-fine.jpg]

[Image: D823jgkXYAI1E2k.png:large]

So six practices over three days at nearly $15,000 a practice. Ouch!

I'm sure Ngakoue got this same exact letter, but that surely doesn't matter to him considering what he's about to get. 
'02

Gotta say it again. We might have the worst Front office in the league. Sheesh.. they do some dumb [BLEEP]

(06-07-2019, 11:35 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 10:51 AM)Bullseye Wrote: While I don't see that as an unreasonable take, I am compelled to ask at what weight would Smith not be a liability in the way you envision here?

At least 230 if not more than that.  If 215 would hold up at LB, teams could play a safety at LB, and have a very fast defense.  But there's a reason no one does that, and that is, it's a huge liability in run defense.

The Jags did that out of need in 2000, playing Mike Logan at LB. 

Unexpectedly, it actually improved our defense.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2019, 07:40 PM by VondyP.)

well i guess you can toss that "personal reasons" myth out the window finally.

QUITTER

(06-16-2019, 06:30 PM)D-Money Wrote: Gotta say it again. We might have the worst Front office in the league. Sheesh.. they do some dumb [BLEEP]

why?  because they are fining players that are not showing up for mandatory mini camp?

(06-16-2019, 03:35 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: [Image: D823jgkXYAI1E2k.png:large]

Can someone translate this because I don't understand what the heck he's saying.

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2019, 02:56 AM by Predator.)

(06-17-2019, 12:10 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 03:35 AM)MikePete54 Wrote: [Image: D823jgkXYAI1E2k.png:large]

Can someone translate this because I don't understand what the heck he's saying.
I think he is trying to say is football isn't a priority right now and if he can't put his full focus behind playing like he has been, then he would be cheating himself and the fans.

Definitely sounds like a guy going through some sort of mental/emotional crisis.

I wish him well.

(06-07-2019, 10:56 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 07:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think he's a good player and I hope he decides to come back, but I will stick to my position that, in the long run, having a 215 pound linebacker is a weakness that opponents will try to exploit.
Only while running. Having speed and quickness will win if things aren't executed perfectly. How often does the OL execute plays perfectly? Most of the time just getting in the way can blow the timing of a play and allow someone else to make a tackle.

While yes I would rather have a 240lb LB with speed, I'll take the smaller LB with speed over the bigger, slower LB as long as everything else is the same.

Poz was way too slow and big, but he has the instincts that Telvin doesn't have. Telvin was getting out of position and his speed couldn't catch up. Poz was just too slow to get into the correct position.

Yes Telvin was exploited due to his size or the lack off in the past two seasons. In 2018 he, in my opinion tried to make up for the loss of Poz. He was out of position way too often to which resulted in an bad performance season for him.

As we know Poz and Telvin plays different LB positions and w/his absence in the middle Telvin seemed somewhat lost. Yes Poz was slower in route coverage BUT his run stuffing game was beasting to say the least. 

Telvin maintains that he'll sit out the 2019 season (his last contract year) and Poz was asked to unretire and he confirmed his retirement so we continue to move on. As replacements, I feel that we have the players to be successful while maintaining our stellar defensive status.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-16-2019, 11:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 06:30 PM)D-Money Wrote: Gotta say it again. We might have the worst Front office in the league. Sheesh.. they do some dumb [BLEEP]

why?  because they are fining players that are not showing up for mandatory mini camp?

I know, get mad when Coughlin says something a little edgy, bUt ThE rUlEs!1!  Team then fines players by right per the CBA(Agreed to by the NFLPA btw) -wOw FrOnT oFfIcE bIg DuMb. 

I don't get it. Dude either needs to file for his issue so he cant go on a list, or he's on the roster/payroll and is subject to the rules in place.

(06-17-2019, 06:57 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 11:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: why?  because they are fining players that are not showing up for mandatory mini camp?

I know, get mad when Coughlin says something a little edgy, bUt ThE rUlEs!1!  Team then fines players by right per the CBA(Agreed to by the NFLPA btw) -wOw FrOnT oFfIcE bIg DuMb. 

I don't get it. Dude either needs to file for his issue so he cant go on a list, or he's on the roster/payroll and is subject to the rules in place.

Right, what Smith has done isn't enough; what the team did is the right thing.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-17-2019, 11:34 AM by knarnn.)

Anyone remember this story from last year?:

Quote: Cravens said he wanted to respond to those wondering about his motivation, but added: “I don’t feel like I need to explain myself. I don’t feel like I have to. I think I need to follow what makes me happy, get my mental right, my well-being right, my family right.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-me-happy/

Sounds awfully familiar huh?

Cravens eventually did come back and self admittedly was dealing with post concussion syndrome.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/15/sua-cr...er-broncos

Maybe Telvin is dealing with the same?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(06-17-2019, 11:31 AM)knarnn Wrote: Anyone remember this story from last year?:

Quote: Cravens said he wanted to respond to those wondering about his motivation, but added: “I don’t feel like I need to explain myself. I don’t feel like I have to. I think I need to follow what makes me happy, get my mental right, my well-being right, my family right.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-me-happy/

Sounds awfully familiar huh?

Cravens eventually did come back and self admittedly was dealing with post concussion syndrome.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/15/sua-cr...er-broncos

Maybe Telvin is dealing with the same?

Definitely a possibility.