Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith Taking the Year Off in 2019

(05-10-2019, 07:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 06:28 PM)JackCity Wrote: Please don't try bring up the professional/leadership card about Telvin Smith. 

The whole point of this whole thing is that football doesn't really matter anymore

He does have to tell them something, specifically if he wants to keep from having to give money back. If it is mental health issues  or some other health concern, he at least has to fill out paperwork.

A leader would let the team know what was going on at least at a high level. You can at least let them know you potentially weren't going to play.

Yes football is secondary, but it's just like any other job, you have to let know or you get fired when you don't show up.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Dude. It’s the off season.

You also have no idea what he’s going through. Maybe he’s been battling depression with suicidal thoughts?

So how about relaxing on what he should or shouldn’t do and wait to find out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-10-2019, 11:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: How about this scenario?   Telvin heard about a potential trade.   He told the Jags he would quit before he allowed himself to br traded.  The Jags called his bluff and went ahead and put him on the market.  So Telvin upped the ante and quit.

I don't know what more the team along with Telvin could possibly say to clarify that Telvin was never on the market.
'02

(05-10-2019, 12:12 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: Man just when you get to the point of looking on the bright side and getting excited for next season, the heart of your defense suddenly decides to take a year off from football. I wish Telvin the best, he was always a role model for this team and his production was important for us.
Caldwell basically needs to trade for someone, i dont think the journeymen we signed (or Williams) can fill this role right now. Im really expecting Caldwell to step it up.

With over a half dozen players competing for one or two remaining spots at LB, I doubt Caldwell has any intentions of trading for a LB. 
'02

(05-10-2019, 07:35 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 07:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote: He does have to tell them something, specifically if he wants to keep from having to give money back. If it is mental health issues  or some other health concern, he at least has to fill out paperwork.

A leader would let the team know what was going on at least at a high level. You can at least let them know you potentially weren't going to play.

Yes football is secondary, but it's just like any other job, you have to let know or you get fired when you don't show up.

Eventually yes but in his own time.

It's pretty obvious he's going through something so serious that he's stepping away from the thing he loves the most. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's played with Telvin that doesn't consider him a leader just because he didn't talk to the team about it.  

Btw , he still hasn't missed any mandatory sessions. Meaning he's been under no obligation to have contact with the team
(05-10-2019, 08:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 07:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote: He does have to tell them something, specifically if he wants to keep from having to give money back. If it is mental health issues  or some other health concern, he at least has to fill out paperwork.

Dude. It’s the off season.

You also have no idea what he’s going through. Maybe he’s been battling depression with suicidal thoughts?

So how about relaxing on what he should or shouldn’t do and wait to find out.
You are only looking at this from the personal side. There are 2 sides, personal and professional. From a leader stand point, he should have contacted the team no matter what. He doesn't have to go into details, just that he needs time and may not play.

Personally he also needs to inform them to protect himself and for insurance issues. If it is himself that is having issues, he gets protection and generally they can't cut him or go after his signing bonus while he is going through this. His agent really needs to get on this.

(05-10-2019, 07:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 06:28 PM)JackCity Wrote: Please don't try bring up the professional/leadership card about Telvin Smith. 

The whole point of this whole thing is that football doesn't really matter anymore

He does have to tell them something, specifically if he wants to keep from having to give money back. If it is mental health issues  or some other health concern, he at least has to fill out paperwork.

It's likely this is a decision he's been struggling with and didn't want to say anything until he decided.

Also, this isn't your job site. This is the NFL, and there are rules along with an entire player's union that must be appeased. Per league rules, Telvin is not under any obligiation to communicate with the team. Doing so is just as voluntary as showing up for OTAs.
'02

(05-09-2019, 04:20 PM)Jest101 Wrote: Lots of respect for a man who takes the money and runs.  Get millions of dollars and quit your job.  You can't even quit McDonald's and get paid.  Man up!

(05-09-2019, 04:09 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...11489?s=21

Glad to see he's man enough to communicate with his employers.  It's a shame that contracts aren't designed that you have to give every dollar back when you quit.

Someone else here said his brother had been murdered. Not sure how recent that was but that's quite a lot to deal with. Maybe he needs some time off for mental health care related to that.

(05-10-2019, 08:57 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 04:20 PM)Jest101 Wrote: Lots of respect for a man who takes the money and runs.  Get millions of dollars and quit your job.  You can't even quit McDonald's and get paid.  Man up!

Glad to see he's man enough to communicate with his employers.  It's a shame that contracts aren't designed that you have to give every dollar back when you quit.

Someone else here said his brother had been murdered. Not sure how recent that was but that's quite a lot to deal with. Maybe he needs some time off for mental health care related to that.

Yeah, this is what I've basically concluded.
'02

The NFL isn't exactly a place you want to be very open about your mental health struggles.

(05-10-2019, 08:57 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

His brother was killed in November of 2016.

(05-10-2019, 10:01 PM)JackCity Wrote: The NFL isn't exactly a place you want to be very open about your mental health struggles.
No place is. The NFL though is in public, players are famous. There are good and bad things about it. It is probably better to just come out and say I have to get my head right instead of trying to hide it.

If he owns it and recovers, I bet he gets the spotlight and is the leader for other players. People are looking to reform the NFL and other dangerous and high stress jobs, so having someone walk away for recovery would make him a star if he wanted it.

(05-10-2019, 10:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 08:57 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Someone else here said his brother had been murdered. Not sure how recent that was but that's quite a lot to deal with. Maybe he needs some time off for mental health care related to that.

His brother was killed in November of 2016.

2 1/2 year ago? So he's been playing lights out for over two seasons since?

Hmm... maybe that's not it unless somehow the grief is just now hitting him.
'02

(05-10-2019, 11:16 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 10:01 PM)JackCity Wrote: The NFL isn't exactly a place you want to be very open about your mental health struggles.
No place is. The NFL though is in public, players are famous. There are good and bad things about it. It is probably better to just come out and say I have to get my head right instead of trying to hide it.

If he owns it and recovers, I bet he gets the spotlight and is the leader for other players. People are looking to reform the NFL and other dangerous and high stress jobs, so having someone walk away for recovery would make him a star if he wanted it.

This is very flawed logic. It's nobodies business what struggle Telvin is going through. Just because some players may embrace being an advocate of mental health or whatever by being open about their struggles does NOT mean others should be held to that standard.  

You say "if he owns it". The man is walking away from football to fix whatever is going on, thats owning it. He doesn't owe you or anybody [BLEEP]

(05-11-2019, 02:35 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 10:01 PM)Eric1 Wrote: His brother was killed in November of 2016.

2 1/2 year ago? So he's been playing lights out for over two seasons since?

Hmm... maybe that's not it unless somehow the grief is just now hitting him.

We don't know if he is, or isn't grieving his brother's death still, I was simply giving a reply to a post to provide some information on the topic. And honestly, I don't think the time frame matters honestly...

I lost my Dad suddenly(64 years old) on April 30th, 2016. There's not a day that goes by where I don't think about him and miss him. I still struggle with it depending on the situations and times of the year. It's hard losing a best friend.

Again, we don't know the situation that's going on with Telvin, but to try and assume/think what could possibly be going on is foolish. The only thing that he, or anybody else should be worried about is that he gets whatever help he needs.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2019, 05:23 AM by SignMeUpAtQB.)

(05-10-2019, 08:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 12:12 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: Man just when you get to the point of looking on the bright side and getting excited for next season, the heart of your defense suddenly decides to take a year off from football. I wish Telvin the best, he was always a role model for this team and his production was important for us.
Caldwell basically needs to trade for someone, i dont think the journeymen we signed (or Williams) can fill this role right now. Im really expecting Caldwell to step it up.

With over a half dozen players competing for one or two remaining spots at LB, I doubt Caldwell has any intentions of trading for a LB. 

Most of the guys if not all of them are outcasts that were udfas and late rounders, or special teamers that will not be able to replace Telvin in the slightest. Off Ball Linebackers are fairly common and not too expensive either so I want us to get a proven Starter.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2019, 07:55 PM by snowwolf776.)

well hes done with football completly. ny dad said his nfl carreer is over now.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(05-11-2019, 08:47 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: well hs done with football completly. ny dad said his nfl carree is over now.

Your dad have some kind of inside information?  Because NOBODY knows.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-11-2019, 02:47 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 11:16 PM)p_rushing Wrote: No place is. The NFL though is in public, players are famous. There are good and bad things about it. It is probably better to just come out and say I have to get my head right instead of trying to hide it.

This is very flawed logic. It's nobodies business what struggle Telvin is going through. Just because some players may embrace being an advocate of mental health or whatever by being open about their struggles does NOT mean others should be held to that standard.  

You say "if he owns it". The man is walking away from football to fix whatever is going on, thats owning it. He doesn't owe you or anybody [BLEEP]

No kidding. He’s forfeiting a lot of money to handle whatever it is. That’s a clear display of ownership.

(05-11-2019, 02:47 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 11:16 PM)p_rushing Wrote: No place is. The NFL though is in public, players are famous. There are good and bad things about it. It is probably better to just come out and say I have to get my head right instead of trying to hide it.

(05-11-2019, 10:42 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 02:47 AM)JackCity Wrote: This is very flawed logic. It's nobodies business what struggle Telvin is going through. Just because some players may embrace being an advocate of mental health or whatever by being open about their struggles does NOT mean others should be held to that standard.  

No kidding. He’s forfeiting a lot of money to handle whatever it is. That’s a clear display of ownership.

You're misunderstanding what I said. He is doing what he needs to do to recover. Owning it after he has recovered is about being open with his struggles in public. If he wants it, it is there for him. He could help a lot of other people by speaking up.

(05-11-2019, 11:29 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(05-11-2019, 02:47 AM)JackCity Wrote: This is very flawed logic. It's nobodies business what struggle Telvin is going through. Just because some players may embrace being an advocate of mental health or whatever by being open about their struggles does NOT mean others should be held to that standard.  

(05-11-2019, 10:42 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: No kidding. He’s forfeiting a lot of money to handle whatever it is. That’s a clear display of ownership.

You're misunderstanding what I said. He is doing what he needs to do to recover. Owning it after he has recovered is about being open with his struggles in public. If he wants it, it is there for him. He could help a lot of other people by speaking up.

That shouldn't be expected of anyone going through personal struggles, whether they're famous or not. It seems you are taking it as a negative which doesn't make much sense.

https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/112...27777?s=19

There's some cursing in that. Apologies in advance.