Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith Taking the Year Off in 2019

(05-10-2019, 08:29 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 08:12 AM)JackCity Wrote: Eh I think they had a fair idea what was going to happen. Because Telvin hasn't put what is specifically ailing him in public they're being coy and non committal about what's up out of respect.  

Teams keep tabs on players , they've known about this for awhile. Hence why we had Caldwell talking about Telvin being on the roster as a hypothetical and the mass drafting/signing of new linebackers.
You may be correct in your speculation, but even Marrone commented he had not received any reply from Talvin after trying to contact him.  One would think if he had contacted anyone in the organization it would have been the coach. The only important thing now is for Talvin to find the help he needs to get his life in order. He is one of my favorite players and I will be praying for him and his family.

We've heard a few times that the team hasn't heard a peep from Telvin or his agent and that his Telvin's agent wasn't even returning their inquiries. In the press conference, we were able to glean a little more as all three spoke. It was a little confusing at the time, but with I'm thinking they were able to put two and two together from everything they did know. Behavioral analysis can help to predict potential actions. Let's look at the conference again with better hindsight...
  • Coughlin makes it clear that there has been zero trade talk regarding Telvin while also letting us know that they know nothing of Telvin's intentions. He even said that if anyone does know anything about Telvin to please tell him. They're in the dark about Telvin and have to be careful to not violate NFLPA rules, however, Coughlin was sure to point out that "frankly, all the players should be here." The next day Ramsey's agent stirred up a media frenzy explaining that the Jags know full well what Ramsey is doing and that Coughlin shouldn't have said that, but now it appears the statement never really had anything to do with Ramsey.
  • Marrone takes over, and when addressing the same question said something a little funny. He said that Telvin is not showing up for the voluntary practices but then suggested that he might not show for the mandatory practice. A reporter even asked him if that meant he talked to Telvin, and he said no, and then passes it off as meaning everything will be fine as long as he shows up for the mandatory stuff.  Nobody thought much of the comment, but now it hints of them suspecting something.
  • Caldwell then comes on and practically stokes the trade rumor findings. I forget his words, but it was almost like "hey, if someone wants Telvin, let me know."  We may need to go back and listen to him again as that's not what he said... it's just my impression of what he said... but it was unexpected suggesting something really might be amiss regarding Telvin.

Telvin later came out and said that he loves Duval and is not going anywhere helping to quell trade rumors. Even though he might not know if he was being traded, players usually have an idea that it might happen. He didn't say much but basically clarified that there's nothing to the trade rumors. A week later, he comes out and explains that he intends to take the year off football
'02

Messages In This Thread
RE: Telvin Smith Taking the Year Off in 2019 - by Jags02 - 05-10-2019, 09:29 AM
nate - by nate - 06-25-2019, 10:37 PM
Jagswag - by JagSwag - 02-11-2021, 09:10 AM