Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Allen to play Defensive end or Linebacker in Jacksonville?

I personally hope they keep him at linebacker and let him get after the QB standing up.  Fowler was put into a similiar situation and they decided defense end.  I believe Fowler would of been even more effective if they left him standing up but Todd Wash's scheme does not have the Linebackers (anyone else for that matter) blitzing much.   Dom Capers was hired as defensive assistant and has a background of a zone blitz 3-4 defense.  With the amount of Linebackers tried out I can almost guarantee the jags will have some 3 man front defense this year and probably some zone blitzing along with it.  I hope they Let Josh Allen Pick his spots and get after the QB.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's going to play both depending on the situation.

(05-18-2019, 07:01 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I personally hope they keep him at linebacker and let him get after the QB standing up.  Fowler was put into a similiar situation and they decided defense end.  I believe Fowler would of been even more effective if they left him standing up but Todd Wash's scheme does not have the Linebackers (anyone else for that matter) blitzing much.   Dom Capers was hired as defensive assistant and has a background of a zone blitz 3-4 defense.  With the amount of Linebackers tried out I can almost guarantee the jags will have some 3 man front defense this year and probably some zone blitzing along with it.  I hope they Let Josh Allen Pick his spots and get after the QB.

Actually, this is only partly true. Indeed Wash hasn't done much blitzing with the Jaguars, however, that's more because the talent hasn't been there. Ideally, I'm convinced Wash would love to run the full Seattle package which calls for often blitzing the SAM LB. In Seattle this position is called the OTTO, but here they're just going to call it the SAM. Josh Allen has the ideal skill-set for this particular position, and I'm convinced we'll see him mostly playing the position. In the nickel I see him moving up to DE, but I'm fairly sure he's going to be the starting SAM when we have three LBs out there. With the ability to run the entire scheme, sacks are sure to rack up. 
'02

The answer is clearly yes.

(05-18-2019, 11:32 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 07:01 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I personally hope they keep him at linebacker and let him get after the QB standing up.  Fowler was put into a similiar situation and they decided defense end.  I believe Fowler would of been even more effective if they left him standing up but Todd Wash's scheme does not have the Linebackers (anyone else for that matter) blitzing much.   Dom Capers was hired as defensive assistant and has a background of a zone blitz 3-4 defense.  With the amount of Linebackers tried out I can almost guarantee the jags will have some 3 man front defense this year and probably some zone blitzing along with it.  I hope they Let Josh Allen Pick his spots and get after the QB.

Actually, this is only partly true. Indeed Wash hasn't done much blitzing with the Jaguars, however, that's more because the talent hasn't been there. Ideally, I'm convinced Wash would love to run the full Seattle package which calls for often blitzing the SAM LB. 

Supposition as fact.

(05-18-2019, 11:32 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Actually, this is only partly true. Indeed Wash hasn't done much blitzing with the Jaguars, however, that's more because the talent hasn't been there. Ideally, I'm convinced Wash would love to run the full Seattle package which calls for often blitzing the SAM LB. In Seattle this position is called the OTTO, but here they're just going to call it the SAM. Josh Allen has the ideal skill-set for this particular position, and I'm convinced we'll see him mostly playing the position. In the nickel I see him moving up to DE, but I'm fairly sure he's going to be the starting SAM when we have three LBs out there. With the ability to run the entire scheme, sacks are sure to rack up. 

Seattle traditionally has one of the lowest blitz rates in the league , the whole mantra is get home with 4, same as it is here.  

The Sam is rarely in on downs where you would blitz anyway

(05-19-2019, 02:21 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 11:32 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Actually, this is only partly true. Indeed Wash hasn't done much blitzing with the Jaguars, however, that's more because the talent hasn't been there. Ideally, I'm convinced Wash would love to run the full Seattle package which calls for often blitzing the SAM LB. In Seattle this position is called the OTTO, but here they're just going to call it the SAM. Josh Allen has the ideal skill-set for this particular position, and I'm convinced we'll see him mostly playing the position. In the nickel I see him moving up to DE, but I'm fairly sure he's going to be the starting SAM when we have three LBs out there. With the ability to run the entire scheme, sacks are sure to rack up. 

Seattle traditionally has one of the lowest blitz rates in the league , the whole mantra is get home with 4, same as it is here.  

Shhhh.

Don’t ruin his fantasy.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We truly don't know what the defensive scheme will be as of now. Wash still has control but he now has better experienced help in Caper to which I expect the D to be tweaked but not totally revamped. I feel that Allen will play both positions depending on the circumstances. Keep in mind that Allen is very good in coverage as well. I do know that he wants to pin his ears back and get after the QB though. He's going to be very competitive w/respect to his sack total as well.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-19-2019, 02:21 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-18-2019, 11:32 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Actually, this is only partly true. Indeed Wash hasn't done much blitzing with the Jaguars, however, that's more because the talent hasn't been there. Ideally, I'm convinced Wash would love to run the full Seattle package which calls for often blitzing the SAM LB. In Seattle this position is called the OTTO, but here they're just going to call it the SAM. Josh Allen has the ideal skill-set for this particular position, and I'm convinced we'll see him mostly playing the position. In the nickel I see him moving up to DE, but I'm fairly sure he's going to be the starting SAM when we have three LBs out there. With the ability to run the entire scheme, sacks are sure to rack up. 

Seattle may lack the talent to go there now as well. What did this stat look like back when Wash and Gus Bradley were in Seattle together?
'02

Everything I’ve read and heard about the Jags intentions has been very clear.

Marrone has stated in multiple pressers that Allen will be exclusively learning and playing DE until the coaches are satisfied that he’s comfortable enough in the system to begin taking on the challenge of learning another position.

Don’t be surprised if you don’t see him playing strong side LB any time soon.

I’m sure they’d like to utilize him there occasionally, but they are in no hurry about it.
I’d expect to see them use him at LB but it may not happen early in the season unless he’s essentially ahead of the curve in learning what’s asked of him at DE come September.

(05-19-2019, 02:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 02:21 AM)JackCity Wrote: Seattle traditionally has one of the lowest blitz rates in the league , the whole mantra is get home with 4, same as it is here.  

Seattle may lack the talent to go there now as well. What did this stat look like back when Wash and Gus Bradley were in Seattle together?

The same. Its not due to lack of talent, its just the entire scheme is predicated on getting pressure with your 4 dlinemen , where as someone like Greg Williams would blitz a ton in a 4-3.

(05-19-2019, 03:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Everything I’ve read and heard about the Jags intentions has been very clear.

Marrone has stated in multiple pressers that Allen will be exclusively learning and playing DE until the coaches are satisfied that he’s comfortable enough in the system to begin taking on the challenge of learning another position.

I’m sure they’d like to utilize him there occasionally, but they are in no hurry about it.
I’d expect to see them use him at LB but it may not happen early in the season unless he’s essentially ahead of the curve in learning what’s asked of him at DE come September.

There's no telling how fast he'll advance. They're dealing with Allen just like they do all rookies in having them learn one position before learning more. Allen may have the DE position down within a couple weeks of training camp. 
'02

(05-19-2019, 04:12 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 02:01 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Seattle may lack the talent to go there now as well. What did this stat look like back when Wash and Gus Bradley were in Seattle together?

The same. Its not due to lack of talent, its just the entire scheme is predicated on getting pressure with your 4 dlinemen , where as someone like Greg Williams would blitz a ton in a 4-3.

Bruce Irvin had 8 sacks as a rookie in 2012 as a Seahawks OLB on the strongside while playing in every game but not starting any.
'02

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2019, 03:45 AM by irontrooper83.)

(05-20-2019, 01:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 04:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: The same. Its not due to lack of talent, its just the entire scheme is predicated on getting pressure with your 4 dlinemen , where as someone like Greg Williams would blitz a ton in a 4-3.

Bruce Irvin had 8 sacks as a rookie in 2012 as a Seahawks OLB on the strongside while playing in every game but not starting any.

Nope, Irvin played backup/passing down DE in 2012 just like Fowler did with us. He was moved to strongside linebacker for the 2013 season.

Good article with some of his numbers too: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1974...owl-repeat

That doesn't mean we won't use Allen at SAM at some point if he learns fast but in terms of blitzing I expect some wrinkles mainly because of Capers.

(05-20-2019, 03:31 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 01:05 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Bruce Irvin had 8 sacks as a rookie in 2012 as a Seahawks OLB on the strongside while playing in every game but not starting any.

Nope, Irvin played backup/passing down DE in 2012 just like Fowler did with us. He was moved to strongside linebacker for the 2013 season.

Good article with some of his numbers too: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1974...owl-repeat

That doesn't mean we won't use Allen at SAM at some point if he learns fast but in terms of blitzing I expect some wrinkles mainly because of Capers.

OK, so it was actually 2014 and 2015 when he racked up 12 sacks excelling as the Seahawks' starting strongside LB.
'02

(05-20-2019, 05:50 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 03:31 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Nope, Irvin played backup/passing down DE in 2012 just like Fowler did with us. He was moved to strongside linebacker for the 2013 season.

OK, so it was actually 2014 and 2015 when he racked up 12 sacks excelling as the Seahawks' starting strongside LB.

With most of those sacks coming from Irvin playing DE in obvious passing downs.  I don't think the Seahawks have ranked in the top 25 of blitz % since Carroll took over.  

But yes I'd like to see some packages with Allen at sam, and with him blitzing. I just wouldn't expect us to do much of it

(05-20-2019, 08:22 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 07:41 AM)JackCity Wrote: With most of those sacks coming from Irvin playing DE in obvious passing downs.  I don't think the Seahawks have ranked in the top 25 of blitz % since Carroll took over.  

But yes I'd like to see some packages with Allen at sam, and with him blitzing. I just wouldn't expect us to do much of it

Exactly, most of his sacks came in obvious passing situations with him lined up at de. Not from the Sam position. Just need to watch a couple of Seahawks/panthers games from 2014/2015 and you see him rushing from de and getting his sacks from there. In fact he played around 70 per cent of defensive snaps those years whereas a Sam usually is in much less. But yeah i would also welcome those packages with Allen at sam eventually, Just saying irvin production isnt related to that position and blitzing.

(05-20-2019, 12:57 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-19-2019, 03:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Everything I’ve read and heard about the Jags intentions has been very clear.

There's no telling how fast he'll advance. They're dealing with Allen just like they do all rookies in having them learn one position before learning more. Allen may have the DE position down within a couple weeks of training camp. 

I think there's much more desire to see Allen standing up at LB on this message board than there is in the coaching offices at the bank. 

Just my gut feeling on the matter. 

They have the numbers right now to be creative with their pass rushers, and I think they will to some degree. 
But I just don't see them lining Allen up at sam very much - especially early on.

I don't care where he lines up, just have him getting after the QB. He wasn't very good at pass defense in college despite doing it quite a bit, and pass rushing is obviously the far more important skill, so just let him flourish at that.

(05-20-2019, 01:05 PM)Upper Wrote: I don't care where he lines up, just have him getting after the QB. He wasn't very good at pass defense in college despite doing it quite a bit, and pass rushing is obviously the far more important skill, so just let him flourish at that.

Allen was actually pretty good in coverage this past season from what I seen and by all reports.  Which games are you referring to where he "wasnt very good"?