Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dungy on Foles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4XapFWk...saKL0ijnIw

I love this.

While not an offensive guru, Dungy has a ton of credibility.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

More and more each day I’m starting to buy in to Foles not only being good but being a high level qb for us. I really see this as similar to Brees going to New Orleans. Just because of a set of circumstances the guy ends up with us. I loved him when I came out of college and wanted us to get him. I’m very happy with this signing. I think he’s gonna light it up.

NF7 is definitely going to put his stamp on the Jaguars. He'll make the receiving Corp much better including the TEs and RBs to say the least. He's already showing leadership simply by going above and beyond.

We're In Good Hands from the QB position.

NH3...
"AZANE"

All Foles needs to do is not [BLEEP] it up... Just manage the game and let this Defense and (hopefully) running game carry this team.

(05-22-2019, 01:42 AM)Eric1 Wrote: All Foles needs to do is not [BLEEP] it up... Just manage the game and let this Defense and (hopefully) running game carry this team.

Well, the plodding running game is Marrone and Coughlin’s desire and two years ago it wasn’t all that dominant except maybe in the playoffs. If Fournette isn’t being effective I hope they start featuring Armstead.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(05-22-2019, 04:35 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 01:42 AM)Eric1 Wrote: All Foles needs to do is not [BLEEP] it up... Just manage the game and let this Defense and (hopefully) running game carry this team.

Well, the plodding running game is Marrone and Coughlin’s desire and two years ago it wasn’t all that dominant except maybe in the playoffs. If Fournette isn’t being effective I hope they start featuring Armstead.

They led the league in rushing that year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?a...&Submit=Go

(05-22-2019, 04:35 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:

We're going to see DeFilippo's version of a run first team, not Hackett's. 

I seriously doubt he'll line up #27 in a power run set and just dare defenses to load the box and stop it on 70% of the first downs.

On topic:
I'm a Dungy fan, and his comments inspire some confidence. Great to hear that stuff from him.

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2019, 09:34 AM by Caldrac.)

It's always easier said than done. This is not Philadelphia. I just hope for Caldwell and Coughlin's sake that they didn't mess this one up. It's bad enough we doubled down on Bortles and passed on the likes of Patrick Mahomes & DeShaun Watson.

I just don't see a legitimate number one receiver on this team. We don't have a go up and get it receiver on the outside. And we can't expect Josh Oliver to be a behemoth over the middle as a rookie and match the crazy production that Foles had with Zach Ertz.

(05-22-2019, 09:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 04:35 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Well, the plodding running game is Marrone and Coughlin’s desire and two years ago it wasn’t all that dominant except maybe in the playoffs. If Fournette isn’t being effective I hope they start featuring Armstead.

We're going to see DeFilippo's version of a run first team, not Hackett's. 

I seriously doubt he'll line up #27 in a power run set and just dare defenses to load the box and stop it on 70% of the first downs.

On topic:
I'm a Dungy fan, and his comments inspire some confidence. Great to hear that stuff from him.

I sure hope not. I just hope we see more changes at the LOS and more creativity pre snap with the formations and move TE position. I have grown tired of this 1970's run first offense we've grown to see over the years. It's just not applicable from start to finish in a football game anymore.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-22-2019, 09:30 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's always easier said than done. This is not Philadelphia. I just hope for Caldwell and Coughlin's sake that they didn't mess this one up. It's bad enough we doubled down on Bortles and passed on the likes of Patrick Mahomes & DeShaun Watson.

I just don't see a legitimate number one receiver on this team. We don't have a go up and get it receiver on the outside. And we can't expect Josh Oliver to be a behemoth over the middle as a rookie and match the crazy production that Foles had with Zac Ertz.

Most teams don't have a legit #1 receiver. And the TE's don't have to replicate Ertz and Burton. They just have to be effective in helping move chains. 

Having Foles and DeFilippo doesn't mean the Jags have to take the exact same path to the post-season offensively the eagles took. 
This defense is going to make it easy for them several weeks as well. How many weeks in 2019 do you think the Jags will only need 20-23 points to win?  8?, 9?, 10 maybe? They'll hold many opponents to beatable scores.

I hope so. I have my popcorn ready, so good or bad year im here anyway.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2019, 10:29 AM by Caldrac.)

(05-22-2019, 09:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 09:30 AM)Caldrac Wrote: It's always easier said than done. This is not Philadelphia. I just hope for Caldwell and Coughlin's sake that they didn't mess this one up. It's bad enough we doubled down on Bortles and passed on the likes of Patrick Mahomes & DeShaun Watson.

I just don't see a legitimate number one receiver on this team. We don't have a go up and get it receiver on the outside. And we can't expect Josh Oliver to be a behemoth over the middle as a rookie and match the crazy production that Foles had with Zac Ertz.

Most teams don't have a legit #1 receiver. And the TE's don't have to replicate Ertz and Burton. They just have to be effective in helping move chains. 

Having Foles and DeFilippo doesn't mean the Jags have to take the exact same path to the post-season offensively the eagles took. 
This defense is going to make it easy for them several weeks as well. How many weeks in 2019 do you think the Jags will only need 20-23 points to win?  8?, 9?, 10 maybe? They'll hold many opponents to beatable scores.

I still have concerns with this defense personally. It could go 50/50 this year and the defense could end up slipping outside of being a top ten unit. It's historically typical for this franchise. Just when the offense starts to look good on paper the defense that held them up for a few years starts to dwindle. We never seem to hit all three aspects of the game at the right time. 

I have concerns with the potential heartburn of losing Telvin Smith and Malik Jackson this year when you consider that Myles Jack if left inside will have a tough job of keeping two potential rookies in check with their assignments. 

Taven Bryan has to step up big time this year to fill the void alongside Marcell Dareus. Campbell and Ngakoue have to stay healthy for obvious reasons. And if we lose Bouye at any point or Ramsey at any point it's going to shift a lot of pressure onto Wilson and Harrison to overcompensate. All of a sudden you might need more than 24 points to win a football game if these youngins on defense start blowing assignments and finger pointing.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-22-2019, 10:28 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 09:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Most teams don't have a legit #1 receiver. And the TE's don't have to replicate Ertz and Burton. They just have to be effective in helping move chains. 

I still have concerns with this defense personally. It could go 50/50 this year and the defense could end up slipping outside of being a top ten unit. It's historically typical for this franchise. Just when the offense starts to look good on paper the defense that held them up for a few years starts to dwindle. We never seem to hit all three aspects of the game at the right time. 

I have concerns with the potential heartburn of losing Telvin Smith and Malik Jackson this year when you consider that Myles Jack if left inside will have a tough job of keeping two potential rookies in check with their assignments. 

Taven Bryan has to step up big time this year to fill the void alongside Marcell Dareus. Campbell and Ngakoue have to stay healthy for obvious reasons. And if we lose Bouye at any point or Ramsey at any point it's going to shift a lot of pressure onto Wilson and Harrison to overcompensate. All of a sudden you might need more than 24 points to win a football game if these youngins on defense start blowing assignments and finger pointing.

You're being logical but this is a glass half full type of group.  Ignore the negative thoughts and concerns and mainly think positive, thats the way to the promise land.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(05-22-2019, 10:28 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 09:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Most teams don't have a legit #1 receiver. And the TE's don't have to replicate Ertz and Burton. They just have to be effective in helping move chains. 

Your concerns are valid. The only exception I take is - I wouldn't place much weight on "historical" trends though. Each season is its own IMO. Prior Jags bad luck has no real bearing on how this defensive group handles the 2019 season.

Personally - I'm optimistic that the pass rush will thrive and the secondary will reap the benefits of the pressure provided. 

LB's being sound against the run are my one real concern defensively.

(05-22-2019, 04:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 04:35 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Well, the plodding running game is Marrone and Coughlin’s desire and two years ago it wasn’t all that dominant except maybe in the playoffs. If Fournette isn’t being effective I hope they start featuring Armstead.

Touche. But I would say they had no other choice to hand off the ball because of Blake, who unexpectedly balled out in the playoffs. I think Foles will be able to spread it around more. I'm envisioning a Jon Gruden/Rich Gannon west-coast dink-and-dunk offense with a fair amount of inside runs called when Fournette gets hot.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Foles appears to be the real deal and I hope so badly he is.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(05-22-2019, 04:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

No kidding.  Thanks for responding and saving me the time and effort of googling team rushing yards.

(05-22-2019, 04:56 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 04:56 AM)Bullseye Wrote: They led the league in rushing that year.

Touche. But I would say they had no other choice to hand off the ball because of Blake, who unexpectedly balled out in the playoffs. I think Foles will be able to spread it around more. I'm envisioning a Jon Gruden/Rich Gannon west-coast dink-and-dunk offense with a fair amount of inside runs called when Fournette gets hot.

If that's true, then undoubtedly most defenses knew what was coming and couldn't really stop it anyway.

No matter how you slice it, the Jaguars were effective running the ball in '17.

Foles is a lot more than a game manager and I'm getting tired of hearing comments about him being a middle of the road quarterback that can not take the team on his shoulders and win games like other top ten quarterbacks. That's putting in the same category Blake just a team manager.

(05-23-2019, 08:36 AM)dennisp3 Wrote:

Foles is a lot more than a game manager and I'm getting tired of hearing comments about him being a middle of the road quarterback that can not take the team on his shoulders and win games like other top ten quarterbacks. That's putting in the same category Blake just a team manager.

While I agree that he's better than just a game manager, and he'd be a far better game manager than Blake was...

... he should indeed have a number of games in which the defense and run game will ideally do the heavy lifting for him.

(05-22-2019, 10:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-22-2019, 04:56 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Touche. But I would say they had no other choice to hand off the ball because of Blake, who unexpectedly balled out in the playoffs. I think Foles will be able to spread it around more. I'm envisioning a Jon Gruden/Rich Gannon west-coast dink-and-dunk offense with a fair amount of inside runs called when Fournette gets hot.

If that's true, then undoubtedly most defenses knew what was coming and couldn't really stop it anyway.

No matter how you slice it, the Jaguars were effective running the ball in '17.

The team wanted to impose their will on defenses with the running game.  It looked fantastic in the first half of that season, but didn't really pass the eye test in the second half of 2017.  They still got quite a few yards, but they weren't able to shove the ball down anyone's throats later in the season like they wanted to and like they had earlier in the season.