Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Josh Oliver ?

What was his knock? He seems like a talented TE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-23-2019, 12:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: What was his knock? He seems like a talented TE.

That he was a receiving only TE. Pretty much the same knock all the guys who got drafted around him had.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

He was drafted right where he should have been

His blocking ability leaves a little to be desired. TE also isn't viewed as a high priority for a lot of teams. I would guess only 2-4 are drafted in the first 2 rounds every year. And some of the better ones in the league are late round guys.

I'll be honest, Oliver wasn't even on my radar as I was thinking/hoping for Hock or Sternberger.
But after watching some highlights I think he could be what Thomas never was for us.

I wonder who will be the main "blocking" TE.
Koyack?

(05-23-2019, 03:23 PM)Kane Wrote: His blocking ability leaves a little to be desired. TE also isn't viewed as a high priority for a lot of teams. I would guess only 2-4 are drafted in the first 2 rounds every year. And some of the better ones in the league are late round guys.

I'll be honest, Oliver wasn't even on my radar as I was thinking/hoping for Hock or Sternberger.
But after watching some highlights I think he could be what Thomas never was for us.

I wonder who will be the main "blocking" TE.
Koyack?

If DeFilippo does what many of us are anticipating based on Foles history in Philly and recent acquisitions, then you'll see Swaim as the primary in-line or the "Y" TE.  He'll have blocking and receiving duties. 

Oliver will be the primary "F" TE and that role involves lining up all over the place to present receiving mismatches, including the slot and out wide. Oliver did this in college and is well suited. 

It also appears that DeFilippo may intend to forego the FB in favor of a third TE role at H-Back. He currently has two UDFA players on the roster who did this in college. (Michael Colubiale and Charles Jones) Their role includes lead blocking, pass protection and receiving out of the backfield or from an inline position. 

Koyack figures to back up Swaim, but I could see him losing that job by mid July to a waiver claim or minor signing. 
O'Shaughnessy figures to back up Oliver.

The rookies will battle it out for H-Back and may see competition flow through as the summer comes and goes.

I'd still take Sternberger or Knox over Oliver. Hopefully Dave proves me wrong

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2019, 06:08 PM by JagFanatic24.)

I’ve heard a commentator say Oliver is one of the top TE’s in the country. I think as he matures in age, his strength in blocking will get better.

It was a few things. 1) Lack of Blocking shown in college (he was also the only offensive weapon on their team so you're not gonna block much if you're the only threat to catch the ball and produce on offense yk) 2) Smaller conference and San Jose State was 1-11 so a really bad team which causes you to get overlooked (like Ngakoue on a 2-10 Maryland team; albeit that's a bigger conference) 3) This was a DEEP Tight End draft, he'd likely have gone higher if the position was shallower.

Swaim is going to be the main "blocking" TE and will start most games and line up inline next to an OT. Oliver will be 2nd on the depth chart and the primary "move" tight end that will probably play quite a bit out of the slot split from the formation until he develops his blocking technique. The 3rd TE spot is up for grabs by all the camp bodies; ultimately I think James O'Shaughnessy gets that as he's fine at blocking and receiving even if he doesn't "wow" you, and he's an excellent ST's player. I'd be surprised if Koyack was kept at this point.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Not an every down player. Has to work on run blocking.
No pain, no gain.

I feel comfortable at TE for the first time in a long time. I think Oliver gives us a little speed at that spot.

If all he needs to do is improve on his blocking then I’m fine with that. He will bulk up in the pros.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2019, 12:47 PM by NH3.)

Oliver's blocking tendencies aren't as bad as some has projected. Actually he's pretty tenacious as a blocker from what I've seen on some footage. As an former DE that became an TE due to someone else's injury, he has that grit. That mauler's mentality to say the least. He'll be OK in the blocking scheme especially out in the flats.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-23-2019, 07:57 PM)Firesky Wrote: It was a few things. 1) Lack of Blocking shown in college (he was also the only offensive weapon on their team so you're not gonna block much if you're the only threat to catch the ball and produce on offense yk) 2) Smaller conference and San Jose State was 1-11 so a really bad team which causes you to get overlooked (like Ngakoue on a 2-10 Maryland team; albeit that's a bigger conference) 3) This was a DEEP Tight End draft, he'd likely have gone higher if the position was shallower.

Swaim is going to be the main "blocking" TE and will start most games and line up inline next to an OT. Oliver will be 2nd on the depth chart and the primary "move" tight end that will probably play quite a bit out of the slot split from the formation until he develops his blocking technique. The 3rd TE spot is up for grabs by all the camp bodies; ultimately I think James O'Shaughnessy gets that as he's fine at blocking and receiving even if he doesn't "wow" you, and he's an excellent ST's player. I'd be surprised if Koyack was kept at this point.

I Concur.

NH3...
"AZANE"

He needs to be good enough to block LBs and DBs and maybe chip a DE. If he can do that, he will be fine.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

In his first press conference with the team, John DeFilippo was saying they will use a FB whether that means acquiring someone for the role or having one the TEs fill in. He mentioned O'Shag and Oliver as distinct possibilities. 
'02

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2019, 06:11 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Oliver, as a blocking FB wow

(05-25-2019, 06:11 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Oliver, as a blocking FB wow

Maybe something like Juszczyk?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A01gogZz79Y
'02

(05-25-2019, 06:11 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Oliver, as a blocking FB wow

The way I interpreted his comments weren't that he was necessarily trying to build those guys into lead blockers, but that he was assessing his entire TE corps to see who may be able to take on that run blocking role when needed. 

If Oliver is actually able to show some skill blocking from the H-Back spot, it would be amazing. Would make a two-back formation pretty tough to defend.

I saw a few really nice blocks in space by Oliver on screens and tunnel passes at San Jose state. At the next level he just needs to bring some of that and enough physicality to make some chips when inline.

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2019, 10:33 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Zach Ertz NFL Draft Profile - Weaknesses --- this guy must really suck at the NFL level

WEAKNESSES Missed half of his sophomore year due to injury. Must prove his straight-line speed to scouts. Will not elude NFL defensive backs after the catch with pure quickness. Inconsistent in-line blocker, can get after his man but also loses the leverage battle and gets pushed back too easily. Misses second-level blocks when lunging at targets instead of getting position. Nice job adding bulk to his frame, but needs to continue to develop his strength to sustain blocks at the line of scrimmage. Will round off some routes at times and needs to better control himself in/out of his breaks. Needs to do a better job coming down with contested throws and will drop some easy ones ? seems to have at least one drop each game.

Travis Kelce NFL Draft Profile - Weaknesses ... lol

WEAKNESSES  Suspended for an entire season for violating team rules. Only one season of production. Doesn't have blazing speed. Not a tremendously explosive athlete. Doesn't come out of his breaks all that well.

(05-26-2019, 10:31 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Zach Ertz NFL Draft Profile - Weaknesses --- this guy must really suck at the NFL level

WEAKNESSES Missed half of his sophomore year due to injury. Must prove his straight-line speed to scouts. Will not elude NFL defensive backs after the catch with pure quickness. Inconsistent in-line blocker, can get after his man but also loses the leverage battle and gets pushed back too easily. Misses second-level blocks when lunging at targets instead of getting position. Nice job adding bulk to his frame, but needs to continue to develop his strength to sustain blocks at the line of scrimmage. Will round off some routes at times and needs to better control himself in/out of his breaks. Needs to do a better job coming down with contested throws and will drop some easy ones ? seems to have at least one drop each game.

Travis Kelce NFL Draft Profile - Weaknesses ... lol

WEAKNESSES  Suspended for an entire season for violating team rules. Only one season of production. Doesn't have blazing speed. Not a tremendously explosive athlete. Doesn't come out of his breaks all that well.
Haha... yeah those two ended up being huge busts. Those draft profiles are never wrong.