Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kindergarten and Middle School Graduations

(05-30-2019, 03:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 02:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Waste of time. Another issue I noticed growing up towards the later end of my high school run with my two younger brothers was the early release days every other week on Wednesday's. Now I think it's EVERY Wednesday.

They still do it now for most schools. Which is a burden on most parents who have to work full time. You're expected to pick them up around 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM give or take I believe or it puts some type of financial burden on you by forcing you into paying for extended day care or finding a sitter, etc.
I have never heard of all those half days.

Where do you live?

Jacksonville. Duval county. Buddy of mine lives in St. John's County. Goes through the same thing with his two kids.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-30-2019, 03:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 03:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I have never heard of all those half days.

Where do you live?

Jacksonville. Duval county. Buddy of mine lives in St. John's County. Goes through the same thing with his two kids.
I don’t think that happens in the rest of the country lol

That seems excessive.

1pm every Wednesday out here.

(05-30-2019, 02:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I didn’t go to kindergarten because it was not required in Kentucky at the time. However, I did vomit in the hallway on my first day of first grade. As the class was going to lunch, too.
*fist pump*

you were just marking that territory as your own.

(05-30-2019, 02:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I didn’t go to kindergarten because it was not required in Kentucky at the time. However, I did vomit in the hallway on my first day of first grade. As the class was going to lunch, too.
*fist pump*

It wasn't my first day, but one day during 1st grade I vomited in the hallway outside our classroom AFTER lunch, giving my classmates a vivid reminder of the delicious beef stew we'd all just enjoyed.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It probably means a lot more to folks who came from families where a high school diploma and/or college wasn't valued or expected from their children. Every milestone means more.

But even for those kids, and those whose absent parents treat school as day care and not a place to learn, 8th grade and high school diploma are much bigger deals. Those are the years where you begin real momentum and trajectory (or not...)

I felt PreK graduation was cute but otherwise unnecessary. 6th grade graduation going to Jr High was about the same, but without the cuteness. It probably meant more to the teachers if they've been with these kids for the entire time. But since we were only at the school a single year, it meant mostly nothing.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."