Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So on 1010 yesterday, they mentioned the unthinkable.

The possiblity that the Jags won't be able to re-sign Ramsey, Ngakoue and Jack; that one will have to go, probably Jack.

No.

If this happens, Caldwell, and possibly Coughlin are gone. Jalen, Yannick and Myles are the core of our young defense. There's not one high-priced free agent we've signed that would merit breaking these three up. Campbell is the exception, but he'll probably be gone after this season anyway.

We were extremely fortunately to draft three great players in a row in 2016. I'll give Caldwell credit for that. But part of a GM's job is to keep that home grown talent at home.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Let's see Allen play before we get too carried away.

Ngakoue may be my favorite player on the team, but Allen could afford them the ability to let Ngakoue walk.
I don't want that to happen. I want them to sign him to a new deal this week, but I can't help but realize that the Allen draft pick gives them some flexibility here.

Seeing what Jack is capable of in his second year at full time MLB is also important to this conversation. We need to be sure he's worthy of the payday before we start setting aside his next contract.  I'm optimistic he'll prove worthy, but we need to see it.

Ramsey is a no-brainer to me. Pay him and don't look back.

If we lose Ngakoue and Campbell (I think Campell is gone regardless), we'll need another premium pass rusher. Those are hard to find, IMO.

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2019, 07:30 PM by Caldrac.)

Depends on what happens this season. If we win out? Nobody is safe. We get our ring and rebuild. Most teams do this to get a head of the curve again.

If we get close like we did in 2017? Jack, Ramsey and Ngakoue all get extended at the expense of losing Bouye, Campbell, Dareus and potentially an offensive player in Linder.

They'll look fo backfill those spots in the draft and free agency like they did with:

Harrison > Church.
Wilson > Gipson.
Hayden > Colvin.
Bryan > Jackson.
Allen > Fowler Jr.
Williams > Smith.

It'll be fine either way. But they'll more than likely retain all three of them. I honestly think Telvin Smith's sit out this year coupled with Calais Campbell getting longer in the tooth will make this a lot easier than most realize.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-29-2019, 06:55 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: The possiblity that the Jags won't be able to re-sign Ramsey, Ngakoue and Jack; that one will have to go, probably Jack.

No.

If this happens, Caldwell, and possibly Coughlin are gone. Jalen, Yannick and Myles are the core of our young defense. There's not one high-priced free agent we've signed that would merit breaking these three up. Campbell is the exception, but he'll probably be gone after this season anyway.

We were extremely fortunately to draft three great players in a row in 2016. I'll give Caldwell credit for that. But part of a GM's job is to keep that home grown talent at home.

I think Ramsey is here no matter what, they'll use the franchise tag if necessary. Yannick will get paid, probably over-paid but that's what you gotta do to keep a top-tier pass rusher. Jack, I'm not so sure. If they can get it done for the right price but I think he's expendable.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 05-29-2019, 09:20 PM by NH3.)

(05-29-2019, 06:55 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: The possiblity that the Jags won't be able to re-sign Ramsey, Ngakoue and Jack; that one will have to go, probably Jack.

No.

SMDH. "Caldwell and Coughlin are gone".

When you draft THREE players in the same year that propels to greatness and your salary cap is capped, you cannot afford to resign all three. The lesser of the three cannot be resigned.

Name the lesser.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-29-2019, 07:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Let's see Allen play before we get too carried away.

Ngakoue may be my favorite player on the team, but Allen could afford them the ability to let Ngakoue walk.
I don't want that to happen. I want them to sign him to a new deal this week, but I can't help but realize that the Allen draft pick gives them some flexibility here.

Seeing what Jack is capable of in his second year at full time MLB is also important to this conversation. We need to be sure he's worthy of the payday before we start setting aside his next contract.  I'm optimistic he'll prove worthy, but we need to see it.

Yea, Allen could afford them the ability to let Ngakoue walk.. In say, maybe 4-5 years if Allen turns out to be incredible.

I love Allen as a prospect, but Ngakoue is proven. Sign him right now and you have your two young pass rushers locked up for at least 4-5 years. You then don't really have to worry much about that area again for a good amount of time. Ngakoue just turned 24, 2 months ago and Allen will be 22 in July.

It would be a big mistake to let your Franchise's best young pass rusher walk in Ngakoue right now, regardless of how Allen preforms this season. He and Ramsey must be paid.

Pay Ngakoue right now and Ramsey next off season. You then worry about Jack and his contract situation. It would really suck to lose him, but Ramsey and Ngakoue take priority, without a doubt.

Would like to keep Ngakue, if possible, to keep he and Allen wreaking havoc on opposing offenses for years to come. However, if someone were to offer a Khalil Mack-like trade for Ngakue, instead of signing him to a long term expensive deal, I would have to ponder it (and likely take it).

(05-29-2019, 07:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Depends on what happens this season. If we win out? Nobody is safe. We get our ring and rebuild. Most teams do this to get a head of the curve again.

If we get close like we did in 2017? Jack, Ramsey and Ngakoue all get extended at the expense of losing Bouye, Campbell, Dareus and potentially an offensive player in Linder.

They'll look fo backfill those spots in the draft and free agency like they did with:

Harrison > Church.
Wilson > Gipson.
Hayden > Colvin.
Bryan > Jackson.
Allen > Fowler Jr.
Williams > Smith.

It'll be fine either way. But they'll more than likely retain all three of them. I honestly think Telvin Smith's sit out this year coupled with Calais Campbell getting longer in the tooth will make this a lot easier than most realize.

I'm not sure how in the world you're possibly arguing that Wilson is better than Gipson, that Bryan is better than Jackson, or that Williams is better than Smith.
'02

Jack isn't a key re-signing like Yannick and Jalen are. Even if he plays lights out this season he still won't be in their realm

(05-30-2019, 12:39 AM)JackCity Wrote: Jack isn't a key re-signing like Yannick and Jalen are. Even if he plays lights out this season he still won't be in their realm

I agree. Jaylen and Yannick are the top two priorities and it isn't even close.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(05-29-2019, 09:51 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 07:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Let's see Allen play before we get too carried away.

Yea, Allen could afford them the ability to let Ngakoue walk.. In say, maybe 4-5 years if Allen turns out to be incredible.

I love Allen as a prospect, but Ngakoue is proven. Sign him right now and you have your two young pass rushers locked up for at least 4-5 years. You then don't really have to worry much about that area again for a good amount of time. Ngakoue just turned 24, 2 months ago and Allen will be 22 in July.

It would be a big mistake to let your Franchise's best young pass rusher walk in Ngakoue right now, regardless of how Allen preforms this season. He and Ramsey must be paid.

Pay Ngakoue right now and Ramsey next off season. You then worry about Jack and his contract situation. It would really suck to lose him, but Ramsey and Ngakoue take priority, without a doubt.

Very Well Said.

Priorities.

NH3...
"AZANE"

It's also about value. Let's presume an extreme scenario where Ngakoue is expendable with Campbell agreeing to an extension and Allen working out at DE.

Well, you still sign Ngakoue over Allen because of the sheer difference in value. At that point, you trade Yannick for two first round picks, but you don't just let him walk. After trading Yannick, you'd then have the money to extend Jack so it's all good. When you panic and toss away value for need, you start heading down the wrong path.

If there is any thought to potentially trade him, it might be reflected in the contract. If they were to give him a fat signing bonus, that money is paid up front in the team's books and must count against the cap. However, if your guaranteed money is in the form of guaranteed base salary and/or future roster bonuses, then his new team who traded for him would be responsible for the money. 
'02

Stop wasting money on Campbell. He needs to go and adds nothing but eating cap room to this team.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(05-30-2019, 05:04 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Stop wasting money on Campbell. He needs to go and adds nothing but eating cap room to this team.

LOL...wut
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

No.

THIS is what it would take you to want Caldwell gone? How about just being an overall terrible GM in the first place?

(05-30-2019, 12:21 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 07:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Depends on what happens this season. If we win out? Nobody is safe. We get our ring and rebuild. Most teams do this to get a head of the curve again.

Harrison > Church.
Wilson > Gipson.
Hayden > Colvin.
Bryan > Jackson.
Allen > Fowler Jr.
Williams > Smith.

I'm not sure how in the world you're possibly arguing that Wilson is better than Gipson, that Bryan is better than Jackson, or that Williams is better than Smith.

Not trying to be overly technical here. I know I used the "greater" symbol to portray what I meant earlier but that was just my way of saying "These were the guys they had... and here's the guys they either picked up via FA or the draft to replace them... for better or worse". 

Just treat that symbol with the word "over" instead of "greater" and it'll make a lot more sense. I put that together while on the can via tapatalk. Not my best work. But hey... I was winging it. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

If we let Yannick or Jalen walk I'll be furious. Top players at the most premium of positions who are just coming into their primes. Allen changes nothing regarding Yannick, IMO... Pass rusher is just too important.

I also want to see Jack back, but I wouldn't go full modis mode. Off the ball linebacker is less important, and I could understand if the FO decide that money could be invested elsewhere. Ultimately though, with Telvin probably having played his last snap for the Jags, I think they will find the space to pay Jack.

I'd love to keep the 3 of them together to be the core of this defense for the next 5 years.

(05-29-2019, 09:13 PM)NH3 Wrote:

No.

SMDH. "Caldwell and Coughlin are gone".

When you draft THREE players in the same year that propels to greatness and your salary cap is capped, you cannot afford to resign all three. The lesser of the three cannot be resigned.

Name the lesser.

NH3...

Let me change that statement for you. When you re-sign a terrible QB to a long term deal, when you spend millions on a guy like Moncrief, when you re-sign Lee, who hasn't been healthy a full season, then no, you can't afford to re-sign all three homegrown stars.

(05-30-2019, 10:41 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 09:13 PM)NH3 Wrote: SMDH. "Caldwell and Coughlin are gone".

Name the lesser.

NH3...

Let me change that statement for you. When you re-sign a terrible QB to a long term deal, when you spend millions on a guy like Moncrief, when you re-sign Lee, who hasn't been healthy a full season, then no, you can't afford to re-sign all three homegrown stars.

There are plenty of ways they can re- sign all three.  It's just probably going to require one of them being tagged and releasing a couple of replaceable players elsewhere. 

Next offseason they can clear up to $55.25 million by releasing guys who are replaceable with draft picks or aging out.  

If they only release Marqise, Dareus, and Hayden, they could save $31 million right there. 

Drafting a nose tackle, nickel corner, and a receiver next April shouldn't be terribly tough.  Dareus is the only one of those three that's tough to replace. 

Other players that offer huge savings if released include:
Campbell, Bouye, and Linder. 
This is not even mentioning the millions that may come off the books if Telvin doesn't return. 

They'll find the right combination of these 6 potential releases to let go and clear cap.