Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So on 1010 yesterday, they mentioned the unthinkable.

(05-30-2019, 05:04 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Stop wasting money on Campbell. He needs to go and adds nothing but eating cap room to this team.

I've seen some exceedingly lame takes since I joined this board back in the 90s. and I can easily state that yours may just top the list. 
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-30-2019, 01:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 05:04 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Stop wasting money on Campbell. He needs to go and adds nothing but eating cap room to this team.

I've seen some exceedingly lame takes since I joined this board back in the 90s. and I can easily state that yours may just top the list. 

Definitely a HOF candidate for sure.  To say that the team is "wasting" money on Campbell and "adds nothing" is pretty ignorant.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

https://youtu.be/z_EeCAoWbBw

(05-29-2019, 11:21 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Would like to keep Ngakue, if possible, to keep he and Allen wreaking havoc on opposing offenses for years to come.  However, if someone were to offer a Khalil Mack-like trade for Ngakue, instead of signing him to a long term expensive deal, I would have to ponder it (and likely take it).

That's the only way I'd part with Yannick. Otherwise, cut Jack loose given his position's reduced importance. His potential knee problems later are also a factor.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(05-30-2019, 01:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Saying that Campbell adds nothing is definitely in the top three of the dumbest things I've ever read on this message board. 

Cutting him now would rank up there with the stupidest personnel decisions the Jags have ever made - bordering with drafting a punter in the third round.  

Cutting Campbell after this season, however, is a real possibility. 
Especially if he starts to show his age this year or suffers an injury requiring a long rehab. 
If he continues to best father time, he has a chance to stick around, but he's most definitely going to be closely evaluated due to that cap number.

(05-30-2019, 10:41 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 09:13 PM)NH3 Wrote: SMDH. "Caldwell and Coughlin are gone".

When you draft THREE players in the same year that propels to greatness and your salary cap is capped, you cannot afford to resign all three. The lesser of the three cannot be resigned.

Name the lesser.

NH3...

Let me change that statement for you. When you re-sign a terrible QB to a long term deal, when you spend millions on a guy like Moncrief, when you re-sign Lee, who hasn't been healthy a full season, then no, you can't afford to re-sign all three homegrown stars.

Never TRY to change another person's statement, view point. I Concur that signing BB5 to an extension was Not the way to go, but Moncrief was handcuffed by said QB. Did you see the #s on his new contract? They think that he's worth it. Lee Did play an entire NFL season, the season prior to that Cheap Shot to his knee. Remember that play? As for not being able to resign all three, none of the aforementioned player except BB5 had anything to do w/this scenario. He's against the cap for what, $13,000,000.00. His replacement is on the cap for $20,000,000.00 if I'm not mistaken.

We've paid other players such as Campbell, Linder, Norwell, Bouye, etc. as per the reasoning of not being able to resign all three.

Coughlin and Caldwell aren't going anywhere in the near future.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

This franchise languished for almost a decade plus in the purgatory of NOT having a capable pass rusher post Tony Brackens. you LOCK Ngakoue up and back up the brinks truck, ditto for Ramsey.

I love Calais but if he needs to be released to retain Jalen, Jack or Yannick then you probably do it considering his age. He's been unreal, but i'll bet the $$$ on the young guys every time. It was a tough decision to cut Malik but it had to be done, Josh Allen was drafted to replace Calais just like Taven Bryan was drafted to replace Malik.

With Bortles salary off the books that frees up some space next year. If Quincy or Jake Ryan show to be the answer at OLB, we can part ways with Telvin to free up more space. If Norwell underwhelms again we can cut bait for minimal dead money after year 2, there are ways to manipulate the cap to keep our young core on D and we'll exhaust every option to do so.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(05-30-2019, 12:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 10:41 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Let me change that statement for you. When you re-sign a terrible QB to a long term deal, when you spend millions on a guy like Moncrief, when you re-sign Lee, who hasn't been healthy a full season, then no, you can't afford to re-sign all three homegrown stars.

There are plenty of ways they can re- sign all three.  It's just probably going to require one of them being tagged and releasing a couple of replaceable players elsewhere. 

Next offseason they can clear up to $55.25 million by releasing guys who are replaceable with draft picks or aging out.  

If they only release Marqise, Dareus, and Hayden, they could save $31 million right there. 

Drafting a nose tackle, nickel corner, and a receiver next April shouldn't be terribly tough.  Dareus is the only one of those three that's tough to replace. 

Other players that offer huge savings if released include:
Campbell, Bouye, and Linder. 
This is not even mentioning the millions that may come off the books if Telvin doesn't return. 

They'll find the right combination of these 6 potential releases to let go and clear cap.

(05-30-2019, 05:43 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 10:41 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Let me change that statement for you. When you re-sign a terrible QB to a long term deal, when you spend millions on a guy like Moncrief, when you re-sign Lee, who hasn't been healthy a full season, then no, you can't afford to re-sign all three homegrown stars.

Never TRY to change another person's statement, view point. I Concur that signing BB5 to an extension was Not the way to go, but Moncrief was handcuffed by said QB. Did you see the #s on his new contract? They think that he's worth it. Lee Did play an entire NFL season, the season prior to that Cheap Shot to his knee. Remember that play? As for not being able to resign all three, none of the aforementioned player except BB5 had anything to do w/this scenario. He's against the cap for what, $13,000,000.00. His replacement is on the cap for $20,000,000.00 if I'm not mistaken.

We've paid other players such as Campbell, Linder, Norwell, Bouye, etc. as per the reasoning of not being able to resign all three.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

The point is, along with the re-signing of Bortles the team relied too heavily on free agency and it hurt them.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 09:18 PM by Caldrac.)

(05-30-2019, 08:39 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 12:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There are plenty of ways they can re- sign all three.  It's just probably going to require one of them being tagged and releasing a couple of replaceable players elsewhere. 

Next offseason they can clear up to $55.25 million by releasing guys who are replaceable with draft picks or aging out.  

If they only release Marqise, Dareus, and Hayden, they could save $31 million right there. 

Drafting a nose tackle, nickel corner, and a receiver next April shouldn't be terribly tough.  Dareus is the only one of those three that's tough to replace. 

This is not even mentioning the millions that may come off the books if Telvin doesn't return. 

They'll find the right combination of these 6 potential releases to let go and clear cap.

(05-30-2019, 05:43 PM)NH3 Wrote: Never TRY to change another person's statement, view point. I Concur that signing BB5 to an extension was Not the way to go, but Moncrief was handcuffed by said QB. Did you see the #s on his new contract? They think that he's worth it. Lee Did play an entire NFL season, the season prior to that Cheap Shot to his knee. Remember that play? As for not being able to resign all three, none of the aforementioned player except BB5 had anything to do w/this scenario. He's against the cap for what, $13,000,000.00. His replacement is on the cap for $20,000,000.00 if I'm not mistaken.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

The point is, along with the re-signing of Bortles the team relied too heavily on free agency and it hurt them.
I don't think it hurt them. I think it gave them a shot that this city and fanbase were dying for.

It had been 10 long years since a meaningful game was played here in Jacksonville. It had been 10 long years of below average football.

They nearly had it. They just unfortunately let off the gas and coasted into what is known as the "New England is the NFL's posterboy and therefore benefits on every level" Patriots team that does whatever it takes to win.

I can't fault this front office for going for it. And honestly? I think they've got the right idea for moving forward. They draft respectable talent, swing for the fences and grow it and ship it off or keep it going while adding quality patchup players to depleted positions via free agency.

They just need to stop treating the QB position with kid's gloves and too much respect. Sometimes you just need to keep drafting, signing and trading for talent until you hit on it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 09:30 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

why does no one see cutting Norwell as an option? isn't he one of our most expensive players? he was also a disappointment.

Norwell
Hayden
Lee
Campbell (hate to see him go but he is getting old)
Bouye
Linder

I don't see a the problem. Also imo Jack is not a must to stay, he is very good but also overrated here, he is no All Pro.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2019, 09:37 PM by Caldrac.)

(05-30-2019, 09:28 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: why does no one see cutting Norwell as an option? isn't he one of our most expensive players? he was also a disappointment.

Norwell
Hayden
Lee
Bouye
Linder

I don't see a the problem. Also imo Jack is not a must to stay, he is very good but also overrated here, he is no All Pro.
I agree. Linder being cut wouldn't surprise me. He can't stay healthy. Back in 2017 there were games where Shatley did well enough at Center to potentially justify moving Linder over to Cann's spot.

And if they lose Jack? I like Paddy Fisher out of Northwestern next year. Will be an awesome ILB in the NFL.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-30-2019, 08:39 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 12:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: There are plenty of ways they can re- sign all three.  It's just probably going to require one of them being tagged and releasing a couple of replaceable players elsewhere. 

(05-30-2019, 05:43 PM)NH3 Wrote: Never TRY to change another person's statement, view point. I Concur that signing BB5 to an extension was Not the way to go, but Moncrief was handcuffed by said QB. Did you see the #s on his new contract? They think that he's worth it. Lee Did play an entire NFL season, the season prior to that Cheap Shot to his knee. Remember that play? As for not being able to resign all three, none of the aforementioned player except BB5 had anything to do w/this scenario. He's against the cap for what, $13,000,000.00. His replacement is on the cap for $20,000,000.00 if I'm not mistaken.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

I disagree. 

Look at it this way. If we didn't sign certain players in FA, how long would it take to get said players at those positions through the NFL draft? Would we have been in the AFC Championship game in 2017? The Jaguars did exactly what was needed to #Win Now. 

Also, "Miles Jack Wasn't Down".

NH3...
"AZANE"

(05-30-2019, 09:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 09:28 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: why does no one see cutting Norwell as an option? isn't he one of our most expensive players? he was also a disappointment.

Norwell
Hayden
Lee
Bouye
Linder

I agree. Linder being cut wouldn't surprise me. He can't stay healthy. Back in 2017 there were games where Shatley did well enough at Center to potentially justify moving Linder over to Cann's spot.

And if they lose Jack? I like Paddy Fisher out of Northwestern next year. Will be an awesome ILB in the NFL.

I used to think Shatley was adequate but he got embarrassed by some pretty average DT's last year. I don't think he's good enough to justify jettisoning Linder even with his injury concerns
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(05-30-2019, 11:20 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 09:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I agree. Linder being cut wouldn't surprise me. He can't stay healthy. Back in 2017 there were games where Shatley did well enough at Center to potentially justify moving Linder over to Cann's spot.

I used to think Shatley was adequate but he got embarrassed by some pretty average DT's last year. I don't think he's good enough to justify jettisoning Linder even with his injury concerns

To this, I Concur.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Until Linder manages to play a full 16 game season in his career he'll always be a concern.

[Image: giphy.webp?cid=790b76115cf1007b4d6b30495...giphy.webp]
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-30-2019, 09:28 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: why does no one see cutting Norwell as an option? isn't he one of our most expensive players? he was also a disappointment.

a.   he played hurt when he did play last year and most expect he'll play better this season 

b.   he doesn't represent very much cap savings compared to the others mentioned due to contract structure
(they only save 2.5 mil by cutting him after this season)

(05-30-2019, 09:28 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: why does no one see cutting Norwell as an option? isn't he one of our most expensive players? he was also a disappointment.

Norwell
Hayden
Lee
Bouye
Linder

No, I do not want to cut Norwell.  In 2017, he was an All-Pro OG.  In 2018, from what I read, he was playing with an injury.  So I say, no, do not cut Norwell.  

I agree with you about Myles Jack.  Ngakoue is a Pro Bowler, Ramsey is an All-Pro.  Jack is neither.  Maybe in our fantasies he's this great player, but he hasn't made the Pro Bowl.  Sure, I'd like to keep him, but to put him in the same category as Ramsey and Ngakoue is just wrong.

(05-31-2019, 06:43 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Norwell
Hayden
Lee
Bouye
Linder

No, I do not want to cut Norwell.  In 2017, he was an All-Pro OG.  In 2018, from what I read, he was playing with an injury.  So I say, no, do not cut Norwell.  

I agree with you about Myles Jack.  Ngakoue is a Pro Bowler, Ramsey is an All-Pro.  Jack is neither.  Maybe in our fantasies he's this great player, but he hasn't made the Pro Bowl.  Sure, I'd like to keep him, but to put him in the same category as Ramsey and Ngakoue is just wrong.

Jack has the physical tools to be great.  I'm hoping he starts to realize his potential this season.

I’m sorry but I’m this situation Jack has to go. Ramsey is probably the best player at his position and I think Yan is severely undervalued and as such will be cheaper than he should be to resign, plus as nice as it is to have big characters when you have that many it’s refreshing to have someone like Yan who quietly goes about his business!