Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So on 1010 yesterday, they mentioned the unthinkable.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2019, 04:50 PM by Caldrac.)

Seems like the general consensus on here is Jack out. Ramsey and Ngakoue in. Makes the most sense on paper.

If they do drop Jack I am dead set on Paddy Fisher at ILB out of Northwestern. I'll probably keep bringing this dude's name up all year once college football starts. I don't care if he slips a bit due to this or that but if he's there in RD1 (within reason, of course) or slips to RD2 or RD3? He would be an awesome addition to this defense.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-30-2019, 11:20 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 09:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I agree. Linder being cut wouldn't surprise me. He can't stay healthy. Back in 2017 there were games where Shatley did well enough at Center to potentially justify moving Linder over to Cann's spot.

And if they lose Jack? I like Paddy Fisher out of Northwestern next year. Will be an awesome ILB in the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I used to think Shatley was adequate but he got embarrassed by some pretty average DT's last year. I don't think he's good enough to justify jettisoning Linder even with his injury concerns

I agree. It's so much different when Linder is out there and you watch them in the trenches. Linder is one of the few best Centers in the league, and Norwell was signed as the best interior OL in football. Often when you sign a FA you're overpaying by making him the most expensive at his position, but in Norwell's case, we didn't even overpay. He really was the best at his position. With all the money we've invested in him, it's time for it to finally pay off this season. I'm expecting a huge year out of him.
'02

(05-31-2019, 04:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Seems like the general consensus on here is Jack out. Ramsey and Ngakoue in. Makes the most sense on paper.

If they do drop Jack I am dead set on Paddy Fisher at ILB out of Northwestern. I'll probably keep bringing this dude's name up all year once college football starts. I don't care if he slips a bit due to this or that but if he's there in RD1 (within reason, of course) or slips to RD2 or RD3? He would be an awesome addition to this defense.

I think Jack has every opportunity to earn a second contract with his performance this season. 
I’m not ruling him out at all. The notion that it’s impossible to keep all three is bogus if they tag one of them and make judicious cuts elsewhere.

(05-31-2019, 08:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 04:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Seems like the general consensus on here is Jack out. Ramsey and Ngakoue in. Makes the most sense on paper.

I think Jack has every opportunity to earn a second contract with his performance this season. 
I’m not ruling him out at all. The notion that it’s impossible to keep all three is bogus if they tag one of them and make judicious cuts elsewhere.
I genuinely think they'll keep the trio from 2016 together. 3:16 remains intact.

If they have to trim anymore fat it'll be on offense. I really think Linder and Norwell are possible releases after this year is up.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2019, 10:22 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(05-31-2019, 09:32 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 08:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think Jack has every opportunity to earn a second contract with his performance this season. 
I genuinely think they'll keep the trio from 2016 together. 3:16 remains intact.

If they have to trim anymore fat it'll be on offense. I really think Linder and Norwell are possible releases after this year is up.

If Linder can't stay healthy would be the only way i see us cutting him.  He has been a top 5 center the last 3 years and can play any interior line spot.  If he stays injured though i could see it

Yannick and Ramsey, let Jack walk.. he sucks.

(06-01-2019, 04:43 AM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: Yannick and Ramsey, let Jack walk.. he sucks.

That's a bit harsh even though he can't manage to tackle Henry.
'02

While all three are young and talented, Yannick and Ramsey are at premier positions. Jack isnt. Simple as that.

IMO These players will be gone or Restructure in 2020.

-Dareus $20M savings 2.5M Dead money ( Hope we restructure or extend, he is still young and good)
-Calais $15M savings 2.5M Dead money (One of my favorites)
-Buoye $11.5M savings 4M Dead Money (If he has a great year restructure, if not cut)
-Hayden $6M savings 1.6M Dead Money (Cut - Unless he has a great year)
-J.Ryan $6M savings $600K Dead money (Bye especially if Jack has a great yr)
-Swaim $4M savings $400K Dead money (Bye unless he crushes 2019)

That is 62.5M in cap savings, along with what ever the increase in the CAP is for 2020, along with any carry over. All these cuts are on defense (except Swaim) so 2020 draft will be a defensive rebuild, plus free agency (Rather build via draft). I can see the Jags going CB, WR, DT, S, TE, LB in that order unless BAP and a player you just can't pass up, but I expect the Jags to be picking at the bottom of the draft in 2020. Extend Yannick, Extend Jalen. If Kevin Byard (S) is there in FA, and/or Deon Jones (LB) I would consider if we have the room after Yannick and Jalen, but Yannick and Jalen have all priority.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

Ramsey and Ngakoue are core - yes

Jack - no
He's expendable (and very much replaceable - much more easily than the other two) if need be.

One of these is not like the others, and it's not close.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(05-30-2019, 05:04 AM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Stop wasting money on Campbell. He needs to go and adds nothing but eating cap room to this team.

This is full [BLEEP] talk.  Wallbash

(06-01-2019, 11:07 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: IMO These players will be gone or Restructure in 2020.

-Dareus $20M savings 2.5M Dead money ( Hope we restructure or extend, he is still young and good)
-Buoye $11.5M savings 4M Dead Money (If he has a great year restructure, if not cut)

That is 62.5M in cap savings, along with what ever the increase in the CAP is for 2020, along with any carry over. All these cuts are on defense (except Swaim) so 2020 draft will be a defensive rebuild, plus free agency (Rather build via draft). I can see the Jags going CB, WR, DT, S, TE, LB in that order unless BAP and a player you just can't pass up, but I expect the Jags to be picking at the bottom of the draft in 2020. Extend Yannick, Extend Jalen. If Kevin Byard (S) is there in FA, and/or Deon Jones (LB) I would consider if we have the room after Yannick and Jalen, but Yannick and Jalen have all priority.

Definitely don't cut Bouye. I can't imagine him not having a great year, and our secondary goes to trash the second Ramsey or Bouye is not out there. 
'02

I’m not letting any of them go

(05-30-2019, 03:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Cutting him now would rank up there with the stupidest personnel decisions the Jags have ever made - bordering with drafting a punter in the third round.  

This is the point where I always feel compelled to remind everyone that Anger was drafted in the third round because Gene Smith gave a huge contract ($2M, fully guaranteed) to Matt Turk the prior offseason, and Turk was so bad that the team wound up cutting him five games in. You think Gene was panicking when he had to sign Turk because Podlesh walked, hoo boy just wait until the 2012 draft.

(05-30-2019, 09:28 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: why does no one see cutting Norwell as an option? isn't he one of our most expensive players? he was also a disappointment.

Norwell
Hayden
Lee
Campbell (hate to see him go but he is getting old)
Bouye
Linder

I don't see a the problem. Also imo Jack is not a must to stay, he is very good but also overrated here, he is no All Pro.

Why are you cutting half the team in June?

(05-31-2019, 10:22 AM)scottyg Wrote: Jack has the physical tools to be great.  I'm hoping he starts to realize his potential this season.

Jack needs to settle into a position. He was looking good on the strong side, then Poz retired and he moved into the middle. A position switch like that is going to take some getting used to. He has the physical talent to be the best linebacker this team has ever had, just needs to get his brain settled down.

(06-01-2019, 11:07 AM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: IMO These players will be gone or Restructure in 2020.

Again, why are we cutting half the team in June? Dareus and Calais are probably gone next year. Dareus is way too expensive unless he's willing to take a huge pay cut, Calais has Taven Bryan and Josh Allen nipping at his heels. I still think Bouye sticks next season. We don't have any other cornerbacks (aside from Ramsey) anywhere near his talent level or with his experience, and if it comes down to Bouye or, say, Norwell, I think Bouye wins that fight.

Hayden, meh. He's an ok nickel corner. There are a lot of ok nickel corners. You can find one in the fourth round, actually. I also think Herndon or Meeks could grow into the nickel role sooner or later. Ryan and Swaim literally signed two months ago. It's way too early to put them on the chopping block. Who's to say Ryan doesn't end up starting on the outside? At his salary, he's a huge value player as a starter. Ditto Swaim if he ends up being the thumper to Oliver's dasher.

(06-01-2019, 10:15 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 03:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Cutting him now would rank up there with the stupidest personnel decisions the Jags have ever made - bordering with drafting a punter in the third round.  

This is the point where I always feel compelled to remind everyone that Anger was drafted in the third round because Gene Smith gave a huge contract ($2M, fully guaranteed) to Matt Turk the prior offseason, and Turk was so bad that the team wound up cutting him five games in. You think Gene was panicking when he had to sign Turk because Podlesh walked, hoo boy just wait until the 2012 draft.

(05-30-2019, 09:28 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: why does no one see cutting Norwell as an option? isn't he one of our most expensive players? he was also a disappointment.

Norwell
Hayden
Lee
Bouye
Linder

I don't see a the problem. Also imo Jack is not a must to stay, he is very good but also overrated here, he is no All Pro.

Why are you cutting half the team in June?

(05-31-2019, 10:22 AM)scottyg Wrote: Jack has the physical tools to be great.  I'm hoping he starts to realize his potential this season.

Jack needs to settle into a position. He was looking good on the strong side, then Poz retired and he moved into the middle. A position switch like that is going to take some getting used to. He has the physical talent to be the best linebacker this team has ever had, just needs to get his brain settled down.

Again, why are we cutting half the team in June? Dareus and Calais are probably gone next year. Dareus is way too expensive unless he's willing to take a huge pay cut, Calais has Taven Bryan and Josh Allen nipping at his heels. I still think Bouye sticks next season. We don't have any other cornerbacks (aside from Ramsey) anywhere near his talent level or with his experience, and if it comes down to Bouye or, say, Norwell, I think Bouye wins that fight.

Hayden, meh. He's an ok nickel corner. There are a lot of ok nickel corners. You can find one in the fourth round, actually. I also think Herndon or Meeks could grow into the nickel role sooner or later. Ryan and Swaim literally signed two months ago. It's way too early to put them on the chopping block. Who's to say Ryan doesn't end up starting on the outside? At his salary, he's a huge value player as a starter. Ditto Swaim if he ends up being the thumper to Oliver's dasher.

I never said cut them all, those are the options.

In my eyes, Jacks deserves a good deal, but not top 5 money for a LB.

Ramsey and Ngakoue play the two most premier positions on defense: pass rusher and pass defender. When you find a star player there, you need to find a way to keep him. Jack, for all his talents, is a linebacker. Aside from safety, that's probably the most easily replaced position on defense.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2019, 10:57 AM by Kane.)

(06-01-2019, 05:36 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 04:43 AM)Tyler1Reformed Wrote: Yannick and Ramsey, let Jack walk.. he sucks.

That's a bit harsh even though he can't manage to tackle Henry.

I remember a couple plays where we had 11 guys on D that couldn't tackle Henry.

OT:
I think it is possible to keep all 3. 

Do Yan now (best not to risk losing him or having to tag him and costing more in long run), do Ramsey after the season (because if negotiations get tough, we do still have a year left on rookie deal and tags).

Assess Jack whether he's earned it after season (30-40 mil would put him top ten of ILB, Kwon Alexander just got 54 mil). Perhaps we have to let him walk. The entire LB corp may need to be looked at after 2019 with the uncertainty of Smith and the unknown of Jacobs, Ryan, and Williams.

(05-30-2019, 09:28 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: why does no one see cutting Norwell as an option? isn't he one of our most expensive players? he was also a disappointment.

Norwell
Hayden
Lee
Bouye
Linder

Norwell was injured in his one season with us. Ish happens. Let's give the man a season to show why he was paid before shipping him off.
Yeah there's an "out" in his contract after this season but would still leave us with a dead cap hit of 9 mil
would rather him play well and keep him.

We can probably draft a NB to replace Hayden. Lee is gone no matter what I think after this season. Campbell is probably gone. Linder is top 5 when healthy.... don't see us getting rid of him until we absolutely have to.

(06-05-2019, 10:53 AM)Kane Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 05:36 AM)Jags02 Wrote: That's a bit harsh even though he can't manage to tackle Henry.

I remember a couple plays where we had 11 guys on D that couldn't tackle Henry.

OT:

Do Yan now (best not to risk losing him or having to tag him and costing more in long run), do Ramsey after the season (because if negotiations get tough, we do still have a year left on rookie deal and tags).

Assess Jack whether he's earned it after season (30-40 mil would put him top ten of ILB, Kwon Alexander just got 54 mil). Perhaps we have to let him walk. The entire LB corp may need to be looked at after 2019 with the uncertainty of Smith and the unknown of Jacobs, Ryan, and Williams.

Kwon fell off considerably this past season as age is getting to him on the downside of his career. I have to think Jack will want more than Kwon.
'02

(06-05-2019, 10:55 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 10:53 AM)Kane Wrote: I remember a couple plays where we had 11 guys on D that couldn't tackle Henry.

OT:

Kwon fell off considerably this past season as age is getting to him on the downside of his career. I have to think Jack will want more than Kwon.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the torn ACL he suffered caused his drop off last season, rather than the fact that he turned 24.

(06-06-2019, 12:01 AM)empty Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 10:55 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Kwon fell off considerably this past season as age is getting to him on the downside of his career. I have to think Jack will want more than Kwon.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the torn ACL he suffered caused his drop off last season, rather than the fact that he turned 24.

Ok, although there's even more reason to think Jack should get as much as a LB with an ACL history.
'02