Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Like button

(06-06-2019, 01:58 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: Weird, Ive never seen other message boards have issues with the "like" button. Not sure why this is such a big deal, what harm can come from "misusing" it? Even if upvotes are given to insults, mods should delete those anyway, dont really see what a like button has to do with it.

None of the problems came from upvotes.
All of the problems came from downvotes.
I know Facebook lets people upvote posts.
But it doesn't take those "likes" and turn them into a score for the user overall.

This site was allowing downvoting as well as upvoting, and assigning those votes to users, rather than to their posts.  I am not aware of another site that works like that.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Here's a thought:

Be nice.  Then people will "like" you.

No button required.

(06-06-2019, 08:59 AM)Jagwired Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 09:36 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Feel free to put it the time and effort to create and moderate a board more to your liking. 

We'll wait for your return.
Again, Buuuwwwaaaaaa!!!! Absolutely friggin comical. You can feel free to drop your moderation duties since apparently you do not have the available time to moderate in between bowls of the sticky icky.

If I leave that will drop the regular members down to about 10.

You apparently worry too much about unimportant things. Try a bit of the sticky icky.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2019, 02:49 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

I need the like button, I can't sit here and type comments all day. I will end up like dragonfurry in clogs and hating myself while daydreaming about kpop

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Did anybody here see the MeowMeowBeenz episode of Community?

I think it’s time to stick a fork in this thread.

(06-06-2019, 02:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 01:58 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: Weird, Ive never seen other message boards have issues with the "like" button. Not sure why this is such a big deal, what harm can come from "misusing" it? Even if upvotes are given to insults, mods should delete those anyway, dont really see what a like button has to do with it.

None of the problems came from upvotes.
All of the problems came from downvotes.
I know Facebook lets people upvote posts.
But it doesn't take those "likes" and turn them into a score for the user overall.

This site was allowing downvoting as well as upvoting, and assigning those votes to users, rather than to their posts.  I am not aware of another site that works like that.

[Image: 1*JGA_1TPJpStwONN0DjRKoA.gif]

(06-06-2019, 02:49 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I need the like button, I can't sit here and type comments all day. I will end up like dragonfurry  in clogs and hating myself while daydreaming about kpop

+86
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2019, 04:11 PM by SignMeUpAtQB.)

So cant we introduce a like button, without a "dislike" (or downvote) button? And not have it influence some type of score, but rather just have a counter?
Im really upset that I lost my 12 upvotes tbh Big Grin

(06-06-2019, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here's a thought:

No button required.

Congrats on crossing 20k posts!

Can I get a plus infinity for starting this gem? That would go a ways for my self esteem.

(06-06-2019, 04:09 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: So cant we introduce a like button, without a "dislike" (or downvote) button? And not have it influence some type of score, but rather just have a counter?
Im really upset that I lost my 12 upvotes tbh Big Grin

You and me both buddy.  It was almost a game to me to get upvotes.  I’ve found what worked and didn’t.  And some of what worked pissed off others.  I’m not a football scholar so I couldn’t get the upvotes there.  I had to work the bad joke angel.  There was many to be made there.  Often times, I thought “ Man, these guys just don’t appreciate good humor”.  Their loss, I suppose.  If we ever get it back, here’s a +1 with your name on it, my friend.  Just do what I do in the mean time.  Get a notebook, or in my case a nice leather wrapped diary, and keep score yourself.

(06-06-2019, 05:09 PM)Jags Wrote: Can I get a plus infinity for starting this gem?   That would go a ways for my self esteem.

I don't know how to represent infinity in text, but, 
+7,654,321 for you!

(06-06-2019, 06:14 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 05:09 PM)Jags Wrote: Can I get a plus infinity for starting this gem?   That would go a ways for my self esteem.

I don't know how to represent infinity in text, but, 
+7,654,321 for you!

Thanks man!  But I was hoping for the actual symbol for infity.  So as a consolation prize, here a +8374625

No button required.

I'm a millennial. I need instant, quantifiable validation that everyone agrees with me because what I say is right.

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2019, 08:25 PM by mikesez.)

(06-06-2019, 07:51 PM)TJBender Wrote:

No button required.

I'm a millennial. I need instant, quantifiable validation that everyone agrees with me because what I say is right.

I'm gen Y. l don't care if you agree or disagree, I don't even care if you say nothing at all.
The only thing that irks me is if you say you disagree, adamantly, and don't tell me why.
"I disagree, but I don't really feel like talking about it." Fine.
"That's a bunch of [beep] and you're a [beep] for saying it" Ok, tell me why. "No."
That's when I have a problem.

(06-06-2019, 08:25 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 07:51 PM)TJBender Wrote: I'm a millennial. I need instant, quantifiable validation that everyone agrees with me because what I say is right.

I'm gen Y. l don't care if you agree or disagree, I don't even care if you say nothing at all.
The only thing that irks me is if you say you disagree, adamantly, and don't tell me why.
"That's a bunch of [beep] and you're a [beep] for saying it" Ok, tell me why. "No."

Smells like bull [BLEEP]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-06-2019, 09:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 08:25 PM)mikesez Wrote: I'm gen Y. l don't care if you agree or disagree, I don't even care if you say nothing at all.

Smells like bull [BLEEP]

Yeah, but whose? We usually can't smell our own but sometimes stench is so strong that we can.

(06-06-2019, 09:55 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 09:32 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Smells like bull [BLEEP]

Yeah, but whose? We usually can't smell our own but sometimes stench is so strong that we can.

We know just how deeply you care. You crave the adoration of the Commons.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2019, 04:37 AM by Bullseye.)

(06-05-2019, 09:47 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 01:12 AM)Bullseye Wrote: While I will not say most mods operate to silence opposing political views, seeing thread dynamics play out before mod intervention has made me wonder on occasion through the years.

If you only knew the discussions that take place over the fate of many of the threads on this board. 

You are one of the most consistent and eloquent contributors to this board. Will you really miss a one click method of expressing your reaction to a post?
Thanks for the kudos.

No...I won't lose any sleep over the loss of the feature.  I thought it was kind of neat to have, but certainly not a substitute for the board itself.  Just thought it a mildly interesting discussion during this off-season.  My comments on the matter have not strayed into impassioned full borne advocacy.

One thing I learned in this thread is the collaborative effort the mods employ to decide the fate of a thread that strays from the ideal path.

That addresses, in part, some of the suspicions I have had over the years.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-07-2019, 04:10 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 09:47 PM)rollerjag Wrote: If you only knew the discussions that take place over the fate of many of the threads on this board. 

You are one of the most consistent and eloquent contributors to this board. Will you really miss a one click method of expressing your reaction to a post?
Thanks for the kudos.

No...I won't lose any sleep over the loss of the feature.  I thought it was kind of neat to have, but certainly not a substitute for the board itself.  Just thought it a mildly interesting discussion during this off-season.  My comments on the matter have not strayed into impassioned full borne advocacy.

One thing I learned in this thread is the collaborative effort the mods employ to decide the fate of a thread that strays from the ideal path.

That addresses, in part, some of the suspicions I have had over the years.
I second this.

I had no idea how some of these functions worked when it came to the mods.