Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Like button

(06-07-2019, 08:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 04:10 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Thanks for the kudos.

No...I won't lose any sleep over the loss of the feature.  I thought it was kind of neat to have, but certainly not a substitute for the board itself.  Just thought it a mildly interesting discussion during this off-season.  My comments on the matter have not strayed into impassioned full borne advocacy.

One thing I learned in this thread is the collaborative effort the mods employ to decide the fate of a thread that strays from the ideal path.

That addresses, in part, some of the suspicions I have had over the years.
I second this.

I had no idea how some of these functions worked when it came to the mods.

I'm pretty sure that Bunny has to pull Roller, Fury, and NYC out of their various states of inebriation using something that sounds like "You ain't leaving all the work to the only woman in this house!, Get your sorry [BLEEP] up and answer some of these damn complaints!!!"
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-06-2019, 02:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here's a thought:

Be nice.  Then people will "like" you.

No button required.

Damn, I was aiming for being a butthead, but a rich one, in hopes of being liked.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2019, 10:28 AM by Bullseye.)

(06-07-2019, 08:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:

No...I won't lose any sleep over the loss of the feature.  I thought it was kind of neat to have, but certainly not a substitute for the board itself.  Just thought it a mildly interesting discussion during this off-season.  My comments on the matter have not strayed into impassioned full borne advocacy.

One thing I learned in this thread is the collaborative effort the mods employ to decide the fate of a thread that strays from the ideal path.

I second this.

I always thought actions taken were at the whim of the mod/mods who stumbled across a potential issue or were the first to receive a report, and were not necessarily subject to deliberation between the mods.

But even entertaining those prior suspicions, I think mods serve a valuable purpose on these boards and do not get enough credit for what they do.

(06-07-2019, 09:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 08:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I second this.

I'm pretty sure that Bunny has to pull Roller, Fury, and NYC out of their various states of inebriation using something that sounds like "You ain't leaving all the work to the only woman in this house!, Get your sorry [BLEEP] up and answer some of these damn complaints!!!"

Laughing

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(06-07-2019, 09:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 08:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I second this.

I can mod the board just fine while inebriated, thank you VERY much.

(06-07-2019, 10:35 AM)DragonFury Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 09:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm pretty sure that Bunny has to pull Roller, Fury, and NYC out of their various states of inebriation using something that sounds like "You ain't leaving all the work to the only woman in this house!, Get your sorry [BLEEP] up and answer some of these damn complaints!!!"

I can mod the board just fine while inebriated, thank you VERY much.

We'll just agree to disagree, you have every right to be wrong.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-03-2019, 10:31 AM)Jagwired Wrote: What a bunch of [BLEEP]. Wow. This board has gone to [BLEEP].

Yep and I am done!  It's been fun but this board has been dying a slow death since the split.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(06-08-2019, 07:56 PM)copycat Wrote:
(06-03-2019, 10:31 AM)Jagwired Wrote: What a bunch of [BLEEP]. Wow. This board has gone to [BLEEP].

Yep and I am done!  It's been fun but this board has been dying a slow death since the split.

No!

(06-08-2019, 07:56 PM)copycat Wrote:

Are you really saying you are leaving because the little meaningless thumb is gone?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(06-08-2019, 09:45 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 07:56 PM)copycat Wrote: Yep and I am done!  It's been fun but this board has been dying a slow death since the split.

Are you really saying you are leaving because the little meaningless thumb is gone?

I'd say it's more the catering to the bad actors than the practicality of the tool.

(06-09-2019, 07:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-08-2019, 09:45 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Are you really saying you are leaving because the little meaningless thumb is gone?

I'd say it's more the catering to the bad actors than the practicality of the tool.

I see your point here, but wonder if you have the self-awareness to recognize the irony in your words.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(06-07-2019, 04:10 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 09:47 PM)rollerjag Wrote: If you only knew the discussions that take place over the fate of many of the threads on this board. 

You are one of the most consistent and eloquent contributors to this board. Will you really miss a one click method of expressing your reaction to a post?
Thanks for the kudos.

Which were? 

Did you really think there were no discussions about warnings, no divergence of opinions among moderators?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 11:52 AM by Bullseye.)

(06-09-2019, 10:42 AM)rollerjag Wrote:

Which were? 

Did you really think there were no discussions about warnings, no divergence of opinions among moderators?
Namely there was a conservative bias among the mods and there was selective enforcement.  Not surprising on many levels.  Jacksonville is still largely a conservative town.  Jaguars fans are largely from Jacksonville.  It's not a stretch to conclude most of the posters and mods would be conservatives.

There would be a controversial topic (often as an aside) that would arise on the main board on occasion, usually from a right leaning perspective.  Plenty of others would chime in and agree with the sentiment(s), which would often linger on the boards for hours.  Invariably when I would chime in and rebut the sentiments, there was suddenly a need to start deleting posts and threads.  Now it's entirely possible that my timing in seeing and responding to posts was always bad, and the mod action was always merely coincidental but I don't (or didn't) see that as likely.

Even though CoC has traditionally frowned upon posts of a political nature on the main board, the net effect is conservative sentiments that were marginally football related at best were allowed to linger and reproduce on the board, but dissenting thoughts and arguments triggered administrative action almost immediately.  I hasten to add, though in fairness I didn't get many warnings for my content and I can't say others did for their relevant participation in the threads.

Do I think there is NO divergence of opinion among mods?  No.  I know you have a differing political view than, say, FBT.

But if my perception of how moderation operated was true, and moderating a post or thread operated on a "first come first serve" or "rotational" basis, and the bulk of the moderators had a right leaning political view, then invariably their rulings and subsequent actions would favor-consciously or unconsciously-right leaning viewpoints.

Now the knowledge of mod deliberation before taking action changes my perspective to a large degree, but not completely. If the proportion of right wingers to left wingers among posters here generally and mods specifically is as I hinted at above, then deliberation could still yield the same "inequitable" results.  Nevertheless, the idea of a deliberative body of mods is reassuring.  Operating optimally, such a structure will lead to a well moderated, more consistent board.  I think over the years, that aim is realized far more frequently than not. 

I will say as a group, the mods have done a pretty good job here speaking out against racial bias on the main board.  I will also say (hoping I don't jinx things) there doesn't appear to be as frequent political advocacy as there was in years' past on the main board.  Or perhaps over the years I've grown less inclined to address it.

In any event, I reiterate the mods have done a commendable job on the whole over the years and commend you all for your efforts.

(06-09-2019, 10:36 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 07:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'd say it's more the catering to the bad actors than the practicality of the tool.

I see your point here, but wonder if you have the self-awareness to recognize the irony in your words.

The expressed reason was too many frivolous reports to which our Mod team had to respond. That I can recall, I've never reported anyone for anything. The times that a Mod has had an issue with my behavior we've generally discussed it and I've made adjustments.

(06-09-2019, 11:44 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 10:42 AM)rollerjag Wrote: Which were? 

Namely there was a conservative bias among the mods and there was selective enforcement.  Not surprising on many levels.  Jacksonville is still largely a conservative town.  Jaguars fans are largely from Jacksonville.  It's not a stretch to conclude most of the posters and mods would be conservatives.

There would be a controversial topic (often as an aside) that would arise on the main board on occasion, usually from a right leaning perspective.  Plenty of others would chime in and agree with the sentiment(s), which would often linger on the boards for hours.  Invariably when I would chime in and rebut the sentiments, there was suddenly a need to start deleting posts and threads.  Now it's entirely possible that my timing in seeing and responding to posts was always bad, and the mod action was always merely coincidental but I don't (or didn't) see that as likely.

Even though CoC has traditionally frowned upon posts of a political nature on the main board, the net effect is conservative sentiments that were marginally football related at best were allowed to linger and reproduce on the board, but dissenting thoughts and arguments triggered administrative action almost immediately.  I hasten to add, though in fairness I didn't get many warnings for my content and I can't say others did for their relevant participation in the threads.

Do I think there is NO divergence of opinion among mods?  No.  I know you have a differing political view than, say, FBT.

But if my perception of how moderation operated was true, and moderating a post or thread operated on a "first come first serve" or "rotational" basis, and the bulk of the moderators had a right leaning political view, then invariably their rulings and subsequent actions would favor-consciously or unconsciously-right leaning viewpoints.

Now the knowledge of mod deliberation before taking action changes my perspective to a large degree, but not completely. If the proportion of right wingers to left wingers among posters here generally and mods specifically is as I hinted at above, then deliberation could still yield the same "inequitable" results.  Nevertheless, the idea of a deliberative body of mods is reassuring.  Operating optimally, such a structure will lead to a well moderated, more consistent board.  I think over the years, that aim is realized far more frequently than not. 

I will say as a group, the mods have done a pretty good job here speaking out against racial  bias on the main board.  I will also say (hoping I don't jinx things) there doesn't appear to be as frequent political advocacy as there was in years' past on the main board.  Or perhaps over the years I've grown less inclined to address it.

In any event, I reiterate the mods have done a commendable job on the whole over the years and commend you all for your efforts.

99% of the time us mods will discuss posts that we see and will get a consensus regarding what to do with said posts/threads.  If any of us sees a blatant violation of the rules we sometimes will act on our own and even then, most times it is reported/discussed among us.

As far as the political leanings, I feel like we have a reasonable balance.  I can honestly say that I didn't "agree" with some of the mods/admins when I joined the team and I know some of them didn't really like my point of view.  However, over time we have come to have a respect for one another and our points of view.  I for one had a learning curve and was "called out" on more than one occasion for my decisions.  The same can be said by many on our team.

My point is that the current board is governed by a collaborated effort from people from all walks of life... even the one that I affectionately call our "un-documented" mod from another country (DF).  Our goal is to provide a pleasant experience for those that choose to browse the site.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 07:22 PM by Bullseye.)

(06-09-2019, 01:44 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 11:44 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Namely there was a conservative bias among the mods and there was selective enforcement.  Not surprising on many levels.  Jacksonville is still largely a conservative town.  Jaguars fans are largely from Jacksonville.  It's not a stretch to conclude most of the posters and mods would be conservatives.

I will say as a group, the mods have done a pretty good job here speaking out against racial  bias on the main board.  I will also say (hoping I don't jinx things) there doesn't appear to be as frequent political advocacy as there was in years' past on the main board.  Or perhaps over the years I've grown less inclined to address it.

99% of the time us mods will discuss posts that we see and will get a consensus regarding what to do with said posts/threads.  If any of us sees a blatant violation of the rules we sometimes will act on our own and even then, most times it is reported/discussed among us.

As far as the political leanings, I feel like we have a reasonable balance.  I can honestly say that I didn't "agree" with some of the mods/admins when I joined the team and I know some of them didn't really like my point of view.  However, over time we have come to have a respect for one another and our points of view.  I for one had a learning curve and was "called out" on more than one occasion for my decisions.  The same can be said by many on our team.

My point is that the current board is governed by a collaborated effort from people from all walks of life... even the one that I affectionately call our "un-documented" mod from another country (DF).  Our goal is to provide a pleasant experience for those that choose to browse the site.

As I said, as a rule of thumb, I've had very few problems with mods here.  The few times I've actually received warnings since 2002 were warranted, and to the best of my recollection, none of those warnings had anything to do with the posts/threads I referenced above.

But the idea of a deliberative body of mods changes the perspective.  I don't know how many mods there are, but as reassuring as it is to see there is a body to ensure "board integrity," it does raise some questions.  How many mods are there?  If you all have eyes out for questionable material...how often do you "meet" (presumably in chat, unless DF has THAT much time and money to fly back and forth from Europe)?  I would imagine quite a bit.  Is there a certain percentage of mods that have to be present for a quorum to be reached.  Is it a simple majority vote required to take action on a post, is unanimity required, or is it somewhere in between?  I can imagine the blatant violations could be acted upon immediately, but the questionable ones are another matter?  Do you err on the side of keeping the post/poster?  Without getting into too much detail, I suppose there was deliberation on TMD.

Bring back TMD!

He would fit right in with some of the posters that are still on this board.

I only ever read the football threads back in the TMD days.
I always thought he was informed and interesting, if abrasive.
I remember him being suspended and then being banned, and I assumed it was for stuff in the sideline area
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-09-2019, 07:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bring back TMD!

I never got the love or the hate for the guy. He really got his blinders on with some things and got obsessed with the topics, but I don't really know why he went away.

JDub on the other hand, that troll needed to be put to pasture.

The one thing about the TMD days is too often, the board became more about personalities than football, logic and advocacy.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 09:11 PM by mikesez.)

(06-09-2019, 08:20 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

I never got the love or the hate for the guy. He really got his blinders on with some things and got obsessed with the topics, but I don't really know why he went away.

JDub on the other hand, that troll needed to be put to pasture.

I missed the end of that one too.
I saw threads were she explained that she has Asperger's. And I saw threads where she felt a need to tell people then they started their thread in the wrong category or that a reply was getting off topic.
I can see why people would make the comparison between me and her, as we are both pedantic. But my thing stops at, "I think you're wrong" never "delete that wrong comment or start a new thread".
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.