Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Sign Datone Jones DL

Known as a back-up strong side end or occasional run stopper in the middle. 

https://www.jaguars.com/news/jaguars-sig...tone-jones

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I know nothing of him nor have I heard of him. I hope that he's more than an camp body.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I liked him coming out of UCLA, but thought he was out of place and misused in the Packers' 3-4 Defense.

He's a true strong side DE in a 4-3.

I remember Datone from when the Packers drafted. They had the highest of hopes for him.
'02

Quote:Jones, drafted at No. 26 overall in 2013, never lived up to the team's lively expectations of him. He did, however, briefly fill the "elephant" role in former defensive coordinator Dom Capers' defense.

https://www.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/former...aguars-230

I take it he's battling with Smoot for a spot?
'02

(06-04-2019, 08:24 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
Quote:Jones, drafted at No. 26 overall in 2013, never lived up to the team's lively expectations of him. He did, however, briefly fill the "elephant" role in former defensive coordinator Dom Capers' defense.

He's had five teams in the past two years. I'm not sure I believe that I'm about to say this, but that's a sign that he might be even worse than Smoot.

(06-04-2019, 08:24 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

O.K., I get it now. He's an Dom Caper's guy that will fit our defensive scheme.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-05-2019, 07:45 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 08:24 PM)Jags02 Wrote: https://www.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/former...aguars-230

O.K., I get it now. He's an Dom Caper's guy that will fit our defensive scheme.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Precisely. The elephant role would be the ideal spot for the LDT "in some of the things we do" when the LDE is actually an "outside linebacker" as Wash phrases it.
'02

(06-05-2019, 01:38 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 07:45 AM)NH3 Wrote: O.K., I get it now. He's an Dom Caper's guy that will fit our defensive scheme.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Precisely. The elephant role would be the ideal spot for the LDT "in some of the things we do" when the LDE is actually an "outside linebacker" as Wash phrases it.

The Pete Carroll defense from the 49ers in the 90's was a 3-4 front most of the time. 

They liked to use (at times) a front featuring four players that they called "elephant." 

It added a pass rushing OLB wide as a DE to the weak side.  This position later was called the "LEO" by Carroll. He made it a fixture in Seattle with a 4-3 front. 

Capers Packers defenses ran a 3-4 as well, like Carroll's niners D. 
The "elephant" role was again, the addition of an OLB wide and outside to rush the passer. 
 The only difference being that Carroll and Capers selected players with differing size/weight and traits to play the role. 

You are suggesting Datone Jones would be playing what has essentially been Ngakoue's role heretofore.  That would be a bit of a shock to me. If that happens, then Wash is letting Capers really alter his tendencies. 

I think he's much more likely being looked at as a potential rotational fill-in for Calais Campbell at strong side end. 
If he can make the roster.

He is the chosen. No, really: “I want dat one.”

I slay me.

I’m leaving. I’m leaving.

(06-05-2019, 02:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: He is the chosen. No, really: “I want dat one.”

I slay me.

[Image: vaudeville-hook-gif.gif]

(06-05-2019, 02:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: He is the chosen. No, really: “I want dat one.”

I slay me.

I can no longer give, or subtract, rep.

I would probably be doing one of those things on this post.

(06-05-2019, 02:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 01:38 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Precisely. The elephant role would be the ideal spot for the LDT "in some of the things we do" when the LDE is actually an "outside linebacker" as Wash phrases it.

The Pete Carroll defense from the 49ers in the 90's was a 3-4 front most of the time. 

They liked to use (at times) a front featuring four players that they called "elephant." 

It added a pass rushing OLB wide as a DE to the weak side.  This position later was called the "LEO" by Carroll. He made it a fixture in Seattle with a 4-3 front. 

The "elephant" role was again, the addition of an OLB wide and outside to rush the passer. 
 The only difference being that Carroll and Capers selected players with differing size/weight and traits to play the role. 

You are suggesting Datone Jones would be playing what has essentially been Ngakoue's role heretofore.  That would be a bit of a shock to me. If that happens, then Wash is letting Capers really alter his tendencies. 

I think he's much more likely being looked at as a potential rotational fill-in for Calais Campbell at strong side end. 

Are you sure you have the terminology right? Maybe I'm mistaken. The LEO is meant to be the player opposite the strongside DE, which I'm thought referred to the Elephant.  I recall seeing a chart of the Seattle defense, and I keep thinking it showed the LEO and Elephant as two different players. Reports were that Datone played the Elephant position, but he was never considered a 3-4 OLB type and his main skill set is run stuffing. 
'02

(06-05-2019, 08:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 02:05 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: The Pete Carroll defense from the 49ers in the 90's was a 3-4 front most of the time. 

Are you sure you have the terminology right? Maybe I'm mistaken. The LEO is meant to be the player opposite the strongside DE, which I'm thought referred to the Elephant.  I recall seeing a chart of the Seattle defense, and I keep thinking it showed the LEO and Elephant as two different players. Reports were that Datone played the Elephant position, but he was never considered a 3-4 OLB type and his main skill set is run stuffing. 

I'm sure.  Read these articles. You're thinking of the  "big end / five tech / strong side DE," but that position is not called "elephant."  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...to-defense

Quote:Defensive line
Up front, the Seahawks try to get the best of both worlds.

While Seattle uses a base 4-3, it also incorporates many elements of the 3-4.
As Quinn puts it, “We happen to have lots of 3-4 looks, but we are a 4-3 team.’’
The Seahawks use a smaller defensive end who is primarily a pass rusher, a position the Seahawks call LEO. (The term, by the way, doesn’t really mean anything. When Carroll worked for the 49ers they had a similar position called Elephant and Carroll later changed it to LEO.)
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah...awks-play/

Yeah, I'm looking around and see was the original LEO. I totally thought Elephant was one of the other names besides LEO and OTTO.

This is interesting...

Quote:Here, the ELE represents "Elephant" the position that Chris Doleman is listed in the play-by-play. There were players before him and after him that played the position, which was a hybrid OLBer/DE. Fred Dean did that some, Charles Haley did it a lot. After that Tim Harris, Richard Dent, Rickey Jackson, Kevin Greene and then Doleman played "Elephant".

If you want to get technical, the 49ers playbook called their 4-3 scheme "Elephant" and the weak side end was called the "Whip" and that player could stand up and covert the scheme to a 3-4 just like that. - http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2...-name.html

'02

(06-05-2019, 09:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Yeah, I'm looking around and see was the original LEO. I totally thought Elephant was one of the other names besides LEO and OTTO.

This is interesting...

Quote:Here, the ELE represents "Elephant" the position that Chris Doleman is listed in the play-by-play. There were players before him and after him that played the position, which was a hybrid OLBer/DE. Fred Dean did that some, Charles Haley did it a lot. After that Tim Harris, Richard Dent, Rickey Jackson, Kevin Greene and then Doleman played "Elephant".

If you want to get technical, the 49ers playbook called their 4-3 scheme "Elephant" and the weak side end was called the "Whip" and that player could stand up and covert the scheme to a 3-4 just like that. - http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2...-name.html

Very cool ^  

Josh Allen at "whip" could be an interesting development  
Ninja

(06-05-2019, 09:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 09:15 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Yeah, I'm looking around and see was the original LEO. I totally thought Elephant was one of the other names besides LEO and OTTO.

This is interesting...

Very cool ^  

Ninja

Now I'm recalling. The schematic was for the "Elephant" package for Seattle featuring a LEO and an OTTO.  The "Three LEO" package was another.
'02

(06-06-2019, 05:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 09:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Very cool ^  

Ninja

Now I'm recalling. The schematic was for the "Elephant" package for Seattle featuring a LEO and an OTTO.  The "Three LEO" package was another.

"lightning"

(06-06-2019, 09:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 05:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Now I'm recalling. The schematic was for the "Elephant" package for Seattle featuring a LEO and an OTTO.  The "Three LEO" package was another.

"lightning"

Oh yeah, the lightning package is the one with three LEOs. I take the three would by Yannick, Allen and then your Smoot-Datone winner as the inside LEO... keeping in mind Wash has done away with all this terminology.
'02

(06-06-2019, 11:35 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-06-2019, 09:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: "lightning"

Oh yeah, the lightning package is the one with three LEOs. I take the three would by Yannick, Allen and then your Smoot-Datone winner as the inside LEO... keeping in mind Wash has done away with all this terminology.

I’d guess

Allen - Dareus - Campbell - Ngakoue