Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With Foles making all these pinpoint throws in mini-camp...

(06-23-2019, 06:34 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 02:28 PM)JackCity Wrote: Calling Nick Foles proven when he has 1.5 good seasons to his name at the age of 30 and has never played over 13 games in a season is odd

As I've done, you have to look at the overall picture w/respect to NF7's recent accomplishments. If one cannot see the proven abilities in NF7, one is blind in both eyes. Now I do understand that we have a tendency to be negative until the positive slaps us in the face but if NF7 wasn't proven we would Not have given him $20,000,000.00 yearly.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Having some abilities is not the same as being proven as a QB. 

Also us giving Foles that money does not make him proven either. This front office has completely botched the QB position since they came into power, how Foles plays for us will be the deciding factor, not the money given

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Foles has proven he's got what it takes to win a Super Bowl. That's enough for me.
'02

(06-23-2019, 11:27 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Foles has proven he's got what it takes to win a Super Bowl. That's enough for me.

Agreed

Look. He's not proven until he's better than Brady and Manning. #becauseJungle
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

He's mediocre until he gets that golden jacket....
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(06-23-2019, 06:39 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 06:34 PM)NH3 Wrote: As I've done, you have to look at the overall picture w/respect to NF7's recent accomplishments. If one cannot see the proven abilities in NF7, one is blind in both eyes. Now I do understand that we have a tendency to be negative until the positive slaps us in the face but if NF7 wasn't proven we would Not have given him $20,000,000.00 yearly.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Having some abilities is not the same as being proven as a QB. 

Also us giving Foles that money does not make him proven either. This front office has completely botched the QB position since they came into power, how Foles plays for us will be the deciding factor, not the money given

What Foles has proven is that the game isn't too big for him.  He's played his best ball in the most critical of all situations.  It usually takes years for a draft pick to prove he isn't in over his head.

What Nick has yet to prove is that he's capable of playing at a high level outside of Philly and that he can stay healthy for a full season.  Dude has proved fearless and will stand in the pocket and take a beating... Someone probably needs to teach him the chuck-and-duck.

(06-23-2019, 11:27 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Foles has proven he's got what it takes to win a Super Bowl. That's enough for me.

So has Joe Flacco but I don't think anyone was clamoring for him to come here

(06-24-2019, 02:13 PM)JackCity Wrote:

If only we could have landed Trent Dilfer after his SB Victory !!

We would've gladly taken Flacco the year after he won the Super Bowl.

(06-24-2019, 02:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 02:13 PM)JackCity Wrote: So has Joe Flacco but I don't think anyone was clamoring for him to come here

As long and Jamal and the D came with him then sure.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It's good enough for me as well. I'll take an SB MVP all day and twice on Sundays.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-24-2019, 02:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 02:13 PM)JackCity Wrote: So has Joe Flacco but I don't think anyone was clamoring for him to come here

Was Dilfer the main reason Bal. won that SB?  Brady put up over 500 yards on that Eagles D

I wasn't "clamoring" for him to come here but I thought that he might be the right fit.  A QB that can manage an underwhelming offense with a great defense.  That's how they won the Super Bowl that year.  Name one offensive  "star" player on that team.  It certainly wasn't the receivers or the quarterback.  Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith were "just guys" much like our receivers.  Zack Ertze was nothing "special' at TE outside of fantasy football.  Nick Foles is pretty much the modern "Joe Flacco".  Good game manager that can pull a win out in clutch time with average-at-best receivers.

What will make him look like a star is if the running game pans out.  Everyone knew that Bortles couldn't handle the pressure of being "clutch" in a close game.  Nick Foles corrects that.  Everyone knew that the Jaguars wanted to win with the run game and a solid defense, and that philosophy will still work with the right quarterback.

Foles is by no means a Tom Brady or Pay-me-a-ton Manning or a Drew Brees.  He's not and never will be an "elite" quarterback, but he's enough to take the team to a whole different level.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-24-2019, 04:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

We would've gladly taken Flacco the year after he won the Super Bowl.

(06-24-2019, 02:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: If only we could have landed Trent Dilfer after his SB Victory !!

Funnily enough Flacco was one of , if not the worst QB in football the season after he won the super bowl.

(06-24-2019, 06:25 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 04:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: We would've gladly taken Flacco the year after he won the Super Bowl.

Funnily enough Flacco was one of , if not the worst QB in football the season after he won the super bowl.

Definitely the worst value QB after he signed the big time contract.

(06-24-2019, 06:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

I wasn't "clamoring" for him to come here but I thought that he might be the right fit.  A QB that can manage an underwhelming offense with a great defense.  That's how they won the Super Bowl that year.  Name one offensive  "star" player on that team.  It certainly wasn't the receivers or the quarterback.  Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith were "just guys" much like our receivers.  Zack Ertze was nothing "special' at TE outside of fantasy football.  Nick Foles is pretty much the modern "Joe Flacco".  Good game manager that can pull a win out in clutch time with average-at-best receivers.

What will make him look like a star is if the running game pans out.  Everyone knew that Bortles couldn't handle the pressure of being "clutch" in a close game.  Nick Foles corrects that.  Everyone knew that the Jaguars wanted to win with the run game and a solid defense, and that philosophy will still work with the right quarterback.

Foles is by no means a Tom Brady or Pay-me-a-ton Manning or a Drew Brees.  He's not and never will be an "elite" quarterback, but he's enough to take the team to a whole different level.
Wait.... you don’t think Ertz is a good TE? You don’t think he’s special?

Are you mad that fantasy football has become so prominent and has brought in thousands of new fans? That fantasy analysts are actually some of the best football analysts out there?  Are you upset that the sport you grew up loving is changing before your eyes?

So called franchise QBs are overrated. Unless you have a Manning ,Brady or Brees (a hall of fame calibre) are there any others who have even proven to make the playoffs every year?

QBs in the championship game the year Foles won his QB:

Foles
Bortles
Brady
Keenum.

It seems unless you have a hall of famer any other franchise QB is just a cap killer

(06-24-2019, 09:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 06:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I wasn't "clamoring" for him to come here but I thought that he might be the right fit.  A QB that can manage an underwhelming offense with a great defense.  That's how they won the Super Bowl that year.  Name one offensive  "star" player on that team.  It certainly wasn't the receivers or the quarterback.  Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith were "just guys" much like our receivers.  Zack Ertze was nothing "special' at TE outside of fantasy football.  Nick Foles is pretty much the modern "Joe Flacco".  Good game manager that can pull a win out in clutch time with average-at-best receivers.

Wait.... you don’t think Ertz is a good TE? You don’t think he’s special?

Are you mad that fantasy football has become so prominent and has brought in thousands of new fans? That fantasy analysts are actually some of the best football analysts out there?  Are you upset that the sport you grew up loving is changing before your eyes?

I'll second this. With Gronk retired, Ertz just may be the best TE in football. 
'02

(06-23-2019, 09:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-22-2019, 10:53 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Nothing gets me more excited than a QB who has thrown a whopping 15 TD passes over the past 3 seasons...

Here's something to get you excited. Foles is 4 and 2 in the playoffs, with 11 TDs to 5 Ints and 2 4th quarter game winning drives.

He's also 26 and 18 as a starter over his career and that includes 5 losses his rookie year and 7 more in that god awful, fisher-led Rams year. He's 21-6 as a starter otherwise.

Last year he was 4-1 with a 72% completion number.

This guy has the tools and brain to play the position, and he's got the moxie to play it well on the big stage. If he's even NFL average this year (and that would be a regression at this point) then this team is a playoff team.

I see a lot of people just writing off his awful season with the Rams because of that team/Fisher....

Well, if that's the case, then his flashes/success with the Eagles was only because of how good that team was all around him and how good the coaching was...

(06-25-2019, 02:26 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(06-23-2019, 09:04 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Here's something to get you excited. Foles is 4 and 2 in the playoffs, with 11 TDs to 5 Ints and 2 4th quarter game winning drives.

He's also 26 and 18 as a starter over his career and that includes 5 losses his rookie year and 7 more in that god awful, fisher-led Rams year. He's 21-6 as a starter otherwise.

Last year he was 4-1 with a 72% completion number.

This guy has the tools and brain to play the position, and he's got the moxie to play it well on the big stage. If he's even NFL average this year (and that would be a regression at this point) then this team is a playoff team.

I see a lot of people just writing off his awful season with the Rams because of that team/Fisher....

Well, if that's the case, then his flashes/success with the Eagles was only because of how good that team was all around him and how good the coaching was...

That's fine. I understand your pessimism though I don't share it.

(06-24-2019, 06:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

The 2012 Ravens were one of the more unique SB teams in terms of firepower but Ray Rice was certainly a star, Yanda too, and Pitta was one of the best TEs in the league when he was healthy (which was rare). Flaccos run ended up being an outlier, despite his insane performance, he was still a low end/average QB , the fact he had a such a run didn't protect him from that..

Which brings us to Foles. Taken in totality he's a low end- average tier QB who had an insanely good two games in 2017 and delivered his city a Championship. Beautiful story.  

The question will be what he brings here though, despite much worse skill positions, offensive line play and presumably coaching. My take on it is that he will be a low end /average QB who can possibly swing some late games like Blake never could. I don't think there's any chance he's a "star" here or that he takes us to another level.