Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With Foles making all these pinpoint throws in mini-camp...

(06-25-2019, 01:14 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 09:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wait.... you don’t think Ertz is a good TE? You don’t think he’s special?

Are you mad that fantasy football has become so prominent and has brought in thousands of new fans? That fantasy analysts are actually some of the best football analysts out there?  Are you upset that the sport you grew up loving is changing before your eyes?

I'll second this. With Gronk retired, Ertz just may be the best TE in football. 

I like Ertz and I would say he's a top 5 TE but he might not even be the best TE on his own team and he's definitely not better than Kelce or Kittle

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-25-2019, 06:34 AM)JackCity Wrote: Which brings us to Foles. Taken in totality he's a low end- average tier QB who had an insanely good two games in 2017 and delivered his city a Championship. Beautiful story.  

The question will be what he brings here though, despite much worse skill positions, offensive line play and presumably coaching. My take on it is that he will be a low end /average QB who can possibly swing some late games like Blake never could. I don't think there's any chance he's a "star" here or that he takes us to another level.

Over the entirety of his career, I believe you could make the case that he's low-level average but some QBs (especially QBs that don't many starts) can take longer to develop than others. If you look at his last two seasons, he's played at a better than average level. You could make the argument that he played as well or better than Wentz last year during the regular season. He's also shown the ability to play his best in important games which is a sign of a good QB. The real question is: can he play at a high level consistently? That's what the Jags are looking for.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-25-2019, 07:14 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 06:34 AM)JackCity Wrote: Which brings us to Foles. Taken in totality he's a low end- average tier QB who had an insanely good two games in 2017 and delivered his city a Championship. Beautiful story.  

The question will be what he brings here though, despite much worse skill positions, offensive line play and presumably coaching. My take on it is that he will be a low end /average QB who can possibly swing some late games like Blake never could. I don't think there's any chance he's a "star" here or that he takes us to another level.

Over the entirety of his career, I believe you could make the case that he's low-level average but some QBs (especially QBs that don't many starts) can take longer to develop than others. If you look at his last two seasons, he's played at a better than average level. You could make the argument that he played as well or better than Wentz last year during the regular season. He's also shown the ability to play his best in important games which is a sign of a good QB. The real question is: can he play at a high level consistently? That's what the Jags are looking for.

Foles in 2018: 7 games played, 10 Tds, 8 picks passer rating of 83. So no he wasn't at a better than average level in 2018 at least. 

And there's zero argument that Wentz was considerably better than him in the regular season over the last two years. For example Wentzs passer rating in the regular season these last two years is 101, Foles is......87.

(06-25-2019, 06:32 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 07:14 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Over the entirety of his career, I believe you could make the case that he's low-level average but some QBs (especially QBs that don't many starts) can take longer to develop than others. If you look at his last two seasons, he's played at a better than average level. You could make the argument that he played as well or better than Wentz last year during the regular season. He's also shown the ability to play his best in important games which is a sign of a good QB. The real question is: can he play at a high level consistently? That's what the Jags are looking for.

Foles in 2018: 7 games played, 10 Tds, 8 picks passer rating of 83. So no he wasn't at a better than average level in 2018 at least. 

And there's zero argument that Wentz was considerably better than him in the regular season over the last two years. For example Wentzs passer rating in the regular season these last two years is 101, Foles is......87.

The thing is you can't just look at one player's statistics or one position statistics to make a determination.  For example, per your stats Foles threw 10 TD's.  How many TD's did his team make by running the ball?  Looking at the passer rating, what exactly goes into that formula and does it account for how a team plays the game?  It's not always about stats, it's about how they play the game as a TEAM.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019, 07:21 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Footballs Robert Horry

(06-25-2019, 06:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 06:32 PM)JackCity Wrote: Foles in 2018: 7 games played, 10 Tds, 8 picks passer rating of 83. So no he wasn't at a better than average level in 2018 at least. 

The thing is you can't just look at one player's statistics or one position statistics to make a determination.  For example, per your stats Foles threw 10 TD's.  How many TD's did his team make by running the ball?  Looking at the passer rating, what exactly goes into that formula and does it account for how a team plays the game?  It's not always about stats, it's about how they play the game as a TEAM.

[Image: qllpu57fzke01.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2019, 07:41 PM by JackCity.)

(06-25-2019, 06:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 06:32 PM)JackCity Wrote: Foles in 2018: 7 games played, 10 Tds, 8 picks passer rating of 83. So no he wasn't at a better than average level in 2018 at least. 

When comparing two players who play the same position, in the same team,  its pretty obvious Wentz out performed Foles by every metric available. Most sane Eagles fans will tell you that Wentz>Foles

(06-25-2019, 07:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Footballs Robert Horry

(06-25-2019, 06:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The thing is you can't just look at one player's statistics or one position statistics to make a determination.  For example, per your stats Foles threw 10 TD's.  How many TD's did his team make by running the ball?  Looking at the passer rating, what exactly goes into that formula and does it account for how a team plays the game?  It's not always about stats, it's about how they play the game as a TEAM.

now do it for the last two seasons

(06-25-2019, 06:54 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The thing is you can't just look at one player's statistics or one position statistics to make a determination.  For example, per your stats Foles threw 10 TD's.  How many TD's did his team make by running the ball?  Looking at the passer rating, what exactly goes into that formula and does it account for how a team plays the game?  It's not always about stats, it's about how they play the game as a TEAM.

Nice Cherry pick.

Footballs Robert Horry? So an average player who had the luxury of playing with hall of famers?

(06-25-2019, 06:32 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 07:14 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Over the entirety of his career, I believe you could make the case that he's low-level average but some QBs (especially QBs that don't many starts) can take longer to develop than others. If you look at his last two seasons, he's played at a better than average level. You could make the argument that he played as well or better than Wentz last year during the regular season. He's also shown the ability to play his best in important games which is a sign of a good QB. The real question is: can he play at a high level consistently? That's what the Jags are looking for.

Foles regular season passer rating in 2018 was 96. You can cherry pick any stats you'd like but you'd still be wrong about that too.  Anyway, the QBR is a more complete and meaningful stat than the passer rating which can be misleading.  Here's a closer comparison between the two in 2018. 

Foles 72.3% CP, 282.6 ypg, 69.5 QBR, 96.0 QR, 3.6 TD% , 2.1 INT%
Wentz 69.6% CP, 279.5 ypg, 64.9 QBR, 102.2 QR, 5.2 TD%, 1.7 INT%

As you can see, it's clear an argument can be made that Foles was the better player. But Wentz is a pretty good QB and it's why Philly evidently chose to keep him. They may have made a mistake (a lot of Philly fans think so). We'll see.

(06-25-2019, 07:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Nice Cherry pick.

Footballs Robert Horry? So an average player who had the luxury of playing with hall of famers?
They didnt call him big shot Rob for nothing

I don't care that he's better than Wentz. I just want him to be a lot better than Bortles.

(06-25-2019, 10:52 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I don't care that he's better than Wentz. I just want him to be a lot better than Bortles.

That's where I'm at with it. Can he consistently convert third and five or less? It was maddening how often Bortles failed at that. And that's really the key to being a run heavy team, right?

(06-25-2019, 10:52 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I don't care that he's better than Wentz. I just want him to be a lot better than Bortles.

Unfortunately a lot of talent had to be cut to bring in Foles so now the defence will likely play at a lower level.

You want a Foles/Keenum/whoever mediocre QB when they come cheap.

Paying for a franchise QB doesn't seem to bring much success unless they are hall of fame worthy.

Either need to draft the next Tom Brady or make sure you win in the rookie contract of your so so QB
Or pick one up for peanuts.

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2019, 06:26 AM by JackCity.)

(06-25-2019, 08:45 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

Foles regular season passer rating in 2018 was 96. You can cherry pick any stats you'd like but you'd still be wrong about that too.  Anyway, the QBR is a more complete and meaningful stat than the passer rating which can be misleading.  Here's a closer comparison between the two in 2018. 

As you can see, it's clear an argument can be made that Foles was the better player. But Wentz is a pretty good QB and it's why Philly evidently chose to keep him. They may have made a mistake (a lot of Philly fans think so). We'll see.

"If you look at his last two seasons, he's played at a better than average level. You could make the argument that he played as well or better than Wentz last year during the regular season." 

The 7 game sample size is the entirety of his 2018, and it is below average for sure.  

Don't forget to add in the other stats for Foles 2018 and Wentz 2018:

Wentz: ypa 7.7, ay/a 7.9 , any/a 6.89
Foles: ypa 7.2, ay/a 7, any/a 6.50  

So yeah other than completion % (which can usually be explain by ypa) and your QBR stat Wentz was easily better. Actually, Nick Foles QBR over the last two regular seasons would have ranked 26th out of 33 qualifying QBs this year, just behind Josh Allen.

Also, "a lot of philly fans think so" is totally incorrect, a minority of Philly fans wanted to let Wentz go and keep Foles. A simple eye test would be enough for most to pick the younger, more dynamic and better QB to stay in Philly, but if you want to go the stats route he wipes the floor with him too.

He will be pretty easily but as fans we need to have a far higher bar than that.

(06-26-2019, 06:16 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 08:45 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Foles regular season passer rating in 2018 was 96. You can cherry pick any stats you'd like but you'd still be wrong about that too.  Anyway, the QBR is a more complete and meaningful stat than the passer rating which can be misleading.  Here's a closer comparison between the two in 2018. 

"If you look at his last two seasons, he's played at a better than average level. You could make the argument that he played as well or better than Wentz last year during the regular season." 

The 7 game sample size is the entirety of his 2018, and it is below average for sure.  

So yeah other than completion % (which can usually be explain by ypa) and your QBR stat Wentz was easily better. Actually, Nick Foles QBR over the last two regular seasons would have ranked 26th out of 33 qualifying QBs this year, just behind Josh Allen.

Also, "a lot of philly fans think so" is totally incorrect, a minority of Philly fans wanted to let Wentz go and keep Foles. A simple eye test would be enough for most to pick the younger, more dynamic and better QB to stay in Philly, but if you want to go the stats route he wipes the floor with him too.

He will be pretty easily but as fans we need to have a far higher bar than that.
I don't know where these philly fans are coming from, but i haven't met ANY on the Foles was better than wentz train....not yet.  .

On better than Blake, we definitely need a higher bar but thats falling on deaf ears around here.  Its embarrassing to say the least.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

26 teams in the league want a better quarterback than they have. It doesn't matter what bar you set. It's rarely attained. All that matters is having a QB good enough to win with until your team finally hits on one in the draft. We know all too well that may take decades. 

If this defense returns to near-2017 form and the O-line stays relatively healthy, then "marginally better than Blake" is probably enough for a playoff run. That's why it is frequently brought up. Not because people think that's "the bar" it's merely seen (by most) as enough to prevent 2018 from happening again.

(06-26-2019, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

26 teams in the league want a better quarterback than they have. It doesn't matter what bar you set. It's rarely attained. All that matters is having a QB good enough to win with until your team finally hits on one in the draft. We know all too well that may take decades. 

If this defense returns to near-2017 form and the O-line stays relatively healthy, then "marginally better than Blake" is probably enough for a playoff run. That's why it is frequently brought up. Not because people think that's "the bar" it's merely seen (by most) as enough to prevent 2018 from happening again.

There is a good few scenarios where Foles is a lot better than Blake and still not good enough and disappointing. I think we should judge him relative to the rest of the league and how much success he has Vs just being better than Blake. 

I think with the division being much stronger and being unlikely to repeat 2017s defensive #s we'll still need a passing attack that's above average to make some noise and hit the playoffs.

(06-26-2019, 02:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 10:28 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: 26 teams in the league want a better quarterback than they have. It doesn't matter what bar you set. It's rarely attained. All that matters is having a QB good enough to win with until your team finally hits on one in the draft. We know all too well that may take decades. 

There is a good few scenarios where Foles is a lot better than Blake and still not good enough and disappointing. I think we should judge him relative to the rest of the league and how much success he has Vs just being better than Blake. 

I think with the division being much stronger and being unlikely to repeat 2017s defensive #s we'll still need a passing attack that's above average to make some noise and hit the playoffs.

...which is exactly why they ate Blake’s money, signed Foles and hired Flip.

(06-26-2019, 10:12 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 06:16 AM)JackCity Wrote: "If you look at his last two seasons, he's played at a better than average level. You could make the argument that he played as well or better than Wentz last year during the regular season." 

I don't know where these philly fans are coming from, but i haven't met ANY on the Foles was better than wentz train....not yet.  .

On better than Blake, we definitely need a higher bar but thats falling on deaf ears around here.  Its embarrassing to say the least.

I don't know any Eagles fans personally. After the Jags signed Foles though there was plenty of chatter on social media and the fan forums speculating or making statements that their front office had made the wrong choice. You can probably find some if you look for it.

(06-26-2019, 06:16 AM)JackCity Wrote: "If you look at his last two seasons, he's played at a better than average level. You could make the argument that he played as well or better than Wentz last year during the regular season." 

By completion percentage, QBR, and also YPG. There are some other stats where Wentz is better. Like I said, the point is that a case could be made that he was the better player. Just averaging the stats over the last two season doesn't take into account that Foles only started 3 of the 7 games he played in.  Compared to other starters in 2018, among players with multiple starts, he was 2nd in C/P, 8th in YPG, and 9th in QBR (right ahead of Tom Brady). That's above average. 

(06-26-2019, 05:54 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 10:12 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I don't know where these philly fans are coming from, but i haven't met ANY on the Foles was better than wentz train....not yet.  .

I don't know any Eagles fans personally. After the Jags signed Foles though there was plenty of chatter on social media and the fan forums speculating or making statements that their front office had made the wrong choice. You can probably find some if you look for it.

I know about a dozen Eagles fans.

6 or 7 of them have contacted me since we signed Foles with positive comments and a few have said they will be rooting for for the Jags when it doesn't impact the eagles.