Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With Foles making all these pinpoint throws in mini-camp...

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2019, 06:16 PM by Eric1.)

(06-29-2019, 03:51 PM)Rico Wrote: I've just got a feeling there are going to be a lot of disappointed people here this year.

I hope I'm wrong.

Yea I don't have much hope in Foles. Luckily he shouldn't be asked to do too much. Manage the game, don't screw it up and just make a play here and there. Let the Defense and Run game carry. 

Lets just hope he gets his fumbling issues under control. Dude basically averaged a fumble per game his past 2 seasons and that was with a good OL.

Edit: In 16 games over the past 2 seasons, playoffs included. Foles has 21 TD, 11 INT and 12 Fumbles. For a guy who isn't mobile, who has had a very good OL and is suppose to get the ball out of his hands quick, he puts the ball on the turf WAY too much for my liking. I thought we were suppose to be moving on from somebody who could be turnover prone at times?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is still a run first team and most of the success on the offense depends on if the line can open lanes. The difference is we have a upgrade at the QB position that is smart and can throw a good long ball. If the team fails to succeed at running this offense will struggle. Foles is a good QB but I don't want him throwing the ball 30 times a game.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(06-29-2019, 03:11 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 07:24 AM)JackCity Wrote: Fan: This team needs a QB!

Jaguars: drafts an injury prone RB at #4 overall

Fan: this team needs a QB! 

Jaguars: doubles down on Blake Bortles 

Fan: this team needs a QB! 

Jaguars: doesn't draft one and settles for a QB in the low end/average tier 

Fan: I mean okay short term fix I guess? Still have serious doubts about the overall talent level of the offense and if our support system can replicate what Foles had with the Eagles 

Also, as you well know, the Jags don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. When this above average passing game (and wins) show up in 2019 I'll happily praise them for getting it right

Totally disagree with "low end/average tier" for Foles. Bortles was "low end/average." Foles is much better than that. Put aside the stats and watch the guy play. He's an above average QB in this league. 

The low end/average tier spans many QBs from Bortles to Dalton to Keenum etc etc 

And yeah I've seen most his games by now.

Mitchell Trubisky was a better QB than Russel Wilson in 2018

He had a better QBR (4th overall, Wilson was 11th), better completion %, and more wins.

(06-29-2019, 10:39 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 03:11 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Totally disagree with "low end/average tier" for Foles. Bortles was "low end/average." Foles is much better than that. Put aside the stats and watch the guy play. He's an above average QB in this league. 

The low end/average tier spans many QBs from Bortles to Dalton to Keenum etc etc 

They all three have their bad games but Keenum and Dalton are more of a consistent average.  Bortles is streaky like Eli but is more consistent bad.  Would of been nice to see him with a great WR like Green or ODBJ though.

(06-29-2019, 10:39 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 03:11 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Totally disagree with "low end/average tier" for Foles. Bortles was "low end/average." Foles is much better than that. Put aside the stats and watch the guy play. He's an above average QB in this league. 

Foles is easily better than those three. 
'02

In my opinion, Foles is an average QB. Which is what we all wanted when we had our elite defense together.

I think they made the move a year too late. Gipson, Smith, Fowler, Colvin, Poz, and Lewis are all gone now.

And we’re hanging our hats on Westbrook, Conley, and Chark at WR. With a rookie at TE in Oliver and a backup from Dallas.

I don’t know.

(06-30-2019, 03:43 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: In my opinion, Foles is an average QB. Which is what we all wanted when we had our elite defense together.

I think they made the move a year too late. Gipson, Smith, Fowler, Colvin, Poz,  and Lewis are all gone now.

And we’re hanging our hats on Westbrook, Conley, and Chark at WR. With a rookie at TE in Oliver and a backup from Dallas.

I don’t know.

Most of those names we won't miss much. Harrison, presuming Oehser is correct about him playing FS, is probably an upgrade over Gipson. Smith we had no idea he was going to totally flake out, so that doesn't really count as far as what the Jaguars would have been thinking. Josh Allen is straight up better than Fowler and his insane cap hit. Colvin STILL doesn't have an INT to his name, and our new nickel maybe even better, Poz was almost a liability in coverage and Oliver just may prove to be lightyears better than Lewis when all is said and done as a receiver. Swaim probably compares as a blocker.

The other part of the equation is considering who we would have been able to get. We could have paid way more for Cousins, but quite frankly I feel Foles compares rather easily to Cousins as another above average starting QB, and Cousins isn't even close to being a Super Bowl MVP who has been to the big game twice. 

Also, for those of you who watched Foles over the past two seaosns with those amazingly pinpoint throws who still feel that Foles is "low-end/average," tell me what other "low-end/average" QB is able to make those throws. 
'02

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2019, 08:41 PM by JackCity.)

(06-30-2019, 11:32 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 10:39 PM)JackCity Wrote: The low end/average tier spans many QBs from Bortles to Dalton to Keenum etc etc 

Foles is easily better than those three. 

Better than Blake for sure, same level as Dalton but streakier.

All 3 QBs in the low end/average tier

(06-30-2019, 07:22 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 03:43 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: In my opinion, Foles is an average QB. Which is what we all wanted when we had our elite defense together.

I think they made the move a year too late. Gipson, Smith, Fowler, Colvin, Poz,  and Lewis are all gone now.

I don’t know.

Most of those names we won't miss much. Harrison, presuming Oehser is correct about him playing FS, is probably an upgrade over Gipson. Smith we had no idea he was going to totally flake out, so that doesn't really count as far as what the Jaguars would have been thinking. Josh Allen is straight up better than Fowler and his insane cap hit. Colvin STILL doesn't have an INT to his name, and our new nickel maybe even better, Poz was almost a liability in coverage and Oliver just may prove to be lightyears better than Lewis when all is said and done as a receiver. Swaim probably compares as a blocker.

The other part of the equation is considering who we would have been able to get. We could have paid way more for Cousins, but quite frankly I feel Foles compares rather easily to Cousins as another above average starting QB, and Cousins isn't even close to being a Super Bowl MVP who has been to the big game twice. 

Also, for those of you who watched Foles over the past two seaosns with those amazingly pinpoint throws who still feel that Foles is "low-end/average," tell me what other "low-end/average" QB is able to make those throws. 

Lol, Andy Dalton was an MVP candidate before injury. There are average/low end QBs who can make spectacular throws , they just lack the consistency. 

That's whats kept Nick Foles from being an above average QB. His highs are very high, his lows very low. Someone like Kirk Cousins is far more consistently above average throughout his career so is a tier above Foles

Opinions on Foles are all over the spectrum from Jags fans.

It makes sense. His play over the years has been all over the spectrum.

The number of good decisions and well timed passes I've seen from him over the past two years - it's enough to make me feel that he's a solid upgrade for the Jags. Enough to make me optimistic about the offense's effectiveness in 2019.

This will be a fun topic in October after the new look offense has had a chance to find its bearings.

(06-30-2019, 09:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Opinions on Foles are all over the spectrum from Jags fans.

It makes sense.  His play over the years has been all over the spectrum.

The number of good decisions and well timed passes I've seen from him over the past two years  -  it's enough to make me feel that he's a solid upgrade for the Jags.  Enough to make me optimistic about the offense's effectiveness in 2019.

This will be a fun topic in October after the new look offense has had a chance to find its bearings.

I am as excited for this season to start than any in recent past. The stars are aligning for, hopefully, at least a division title. Unless Foles lays a big fat egg, which is doubtful, this will be a fun season to watch.

(06-30-2019, 08:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 11:32 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Foles is easily better than those three. 

Better than Blake for sure, same level as Dalton but streakier.

(06-30-2019, 07:22 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Most of those names we won't miss much. Harrison, presuming Oehser is correct about him playing FS, is probably an upgrade over Gipson. Smith we had no idea he was going to totally flake out, so that doesn't really count as far as what the Jaguars would have been thinking. Josh Allen is straight up better than Fowler and his insane cap hit. Colvin STILL doesn't have an INT to his name, and our new nickel maybe even better, Poz was almost a liability in coverage and Oliver just may prove to be lightyears better than Lewis when all is said and done as a receiver. Swaim probably compares as a blocker.

Lol, Andy Dalton was an MVP candidate before injury. There are average/low end QBs who can make spectacular throws , they just lack the consistency. 

That's whats kept Nick Foles from being an above average QB. His highs are very high, his lows very low. Someone like Kirk Cousins is far more consistently above average throughout his career so is a tier above Foles

Well if Dalton is all that... MVP candidate and all... then he's above average as well making the low-end/average claim wrong.  Any way you look at it, Foles is above average. You can tell as much just by watching him play.
'02

(06-30-2019, 11:32 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 08:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: Better than Blake for sure, same level as Dalton but streakier.

Well if Dalton is all that... MVP candidate and all... then he's above average as well making the low-end/average claim wrong.  Any way you look at it, Foles is above average. You can tell as much just by watching him play.

Emphasis on the "was". Average QBs have had very good seasons before, it's not uncommon.  

Ok well from watching most of his games and comparing his stats and situation I have my own view of that. You saying that I should be able to see that by watching doesn't mean much

Average QBs don't win Superbowl MVPs or share the record for most TDs in a game.

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2019, 05:13 PM by Kane.)

(07-01-2019, 04:03 PM)Predator Wrote: Average QBs don't win Superbowl MVPs or share the record for most TDs in a game.

Huh?

Mark Rypien won a Superbowl MVP

He also shares that record with 6 other QBs.

P Manning
Foles
Y A Tittle
George Blanda
Sid Luckman
Adrian Burk
Joe Kapp
Drew Brees

Now.... my extensive NFL knowledge doesn't go super far back... but I'm willing to bet there's an average QB or two on that list.

Foles also did it to a terrible Oakland team that had 4 wins and allowed the 4th most points in the league that year.

A few SB-winning QBs won the SB despite being an average QB because their D was simply that good. In the Eagles case, however, they won the SB primarily because Foles was so darn accurate and clutch. 
'02

(07-01-2019, 05:11 PM)Kane Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 04:03 PM)Predator Wrote: Average QBs don't win Superbowl MVPs or share the record for most TDs in a game.

Huh?

P Manning
Foles
Y A Tittle
George Blanda
Sid Luckman
Adrian Burk
Joe Kapp
Drew Brees

Now.... my extensive NFL knowledge doesn't go super far back... but I'm willing to bet there's an average QB or two on that list.

Foles also did it to a terrible Oakland team that had 4 wins and allowed the 4th most points in the league that year.

You would lose that bet. Every player on that list were pro bowl players. Most were champions, and  current or future hall of famers.

(07-01-2019, 06:56 PM)Predator Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:11 PM)Kane Wrote: Huh?

P Manning
Foles
Y A Tittle
George Blanda
Sid Luckman
Adrian Burk
Joe Kapp
Drew Brees

You would lose that bet. Every player on that list were pro bowl players. Most were champions, and  current or future hall of famers.
Not really but i feel you.  The league was different back then, but like luckman.  Those stats are nothing to shake a stick at, but again, i wasnt watching the league at that point.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 08:48 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(07-01-2019, 05:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote: A few SB-winning QBs won the SB despite being an average QB because their D was simply that good. In the Eagles case, however, they won the SB primarily because Foles was so darn accurate and clutch. 

I get what you are saying but you are stretching it.  Foles did have a good game and most have said he has very, high highs and very, low lows.  Bringing up anything in his "high" sample size of games is not going to dispute the very low performances he has had.  If thats the case then QBs should be very easy to find based on a few great games without a full season under center.  I hear every year about how this or that QB looked good but nobody really had film on him for a full season.  Team gets film and it negates the dominance in future years.  Maybe i just look at the game different and pay attention to different parts of it then most others.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2019, 09:29 AM by Upper.)

(07-02-2019, 08:47 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 05:52 PM)Jags02 Wrote: A few SB-winning QBs won the SB despite being an average QB because their D was simply that good. In the Eagles case, however, they won the SB primarily because Foles was so darn accurate and clutch. 

I get what you are saying but you are stretching it.  Foles did have a good game and most have said he has very, high highs and very, low lows.  Bringing up anything in his "high" sample size of games is not going to dispute the very low performances he has had.  If thats the case then QBs should be very easy to find based on a few great games without a full season under center.  I hear every year about how this or that QB looked good but nobody really had film on him for a full season.  Team gets film and it negates the dominance in future years.  Maybe i just look at the game different and pay attention to different parts of it then most others.

Romanticizing the peaks and forgetting the valleys (or even baseline) is Jags02's specialty, not that he is anywhere near alone in that. Just recount his recent opinions on how Fournette, Robinson, and Norwell's Jaguars careers have gone thus far.