Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Yannick Ngakoue skipping mandatory mini camp

(06-25-2019, 06:13 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 04:45 PM)BringBackByron Wrote: I fully understood what Setsuna00 is saying, Campbell will be 33 on September 1st, one or two more years of productions from him aren't worth potentially losing a 24 year old Pro Bowl caliber player. Why is it that the Jaguars will freely spend on other team's players (Norwell, Church, Gipson, etc.) but under the current administration consistently made their draft picks play out the entirety of their contract before being extended? Successful organizations (i.e. Saints with Cameron Jordan and Eagles with Carson Wentz) have made resigning their own guys a priority even with multiple years remaining on their contracts. Doing so allows the team to pay below what the players would get in the open market and gives the players security. The Jaguars are a poorly run organization, they consistently overpay for mediocre players (Donte Moncrief & Nick Foles), have drafted poorly in the 1st round (Joeckel, Bortles, Fowler, and Taven Bryan) and want to play hardball with guys deserving of an extension. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

So after all of your babble I guess what you are saying is that free agents signed to a team don't deserve to be paid their contracts.  The money instead should be held to pay draft picks that happen to work out.  After all, free agents aren't "true Jaguars" they are "hired guns".  Draft picks should all be "perfect and pan out as planned".

Sorry, I would rather pay a free agent no matter what his age is if his production is worth it over signing guys on rookie contracts to lucrative deals.  Three out of the the four veteran free agents that the team signed that you mentioned have worked out pretty well (Campbell, Church, Gipson) and the fourth should pan out as well since he is one of the best at his position (Norwell).  Funny how you don't mention Bouye since he isn't a "homegrown" player, yet is one of our best players.

Here's a newsflash for you.  Draft picks don't always pan out and become "stars" or one of the best at their position in this league.  No team drafts ALL players that are good enough to earn a second contract with their initial team.  Many drafted players do end up in free agency and go on to other teams and become successful.  There are also those that are released and never play again while still under a rookie contract.

There is a balance between drafted rookies and free agents.  Successful teams have been successful getting free agents (other team's players) all the time.  Your example (the Eagles) won a Super Bowl with a quarterback that was a free agent (Nick Foles).

Let me clarify, Campbell has been a significant contributor to the Jags on and off the field and deserves his current contract as much as anyone. Nor is he any less of a Jaguar because he wasn't drafted by the team. I also think that free agency is a great way to supplement certain positions, however I'm against an overemphasis of your salary cap being allocated to free agents rather than homegrown players. The Jags have historically drafted poorly and havent had to resign guys because they werent long term players but guys like Yannick and Jack have demonstrated their value and deserve to be paid and they shouldnt have to wait until their contract expires before it happens.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-25-2019, 01:01 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I see what setsuna is saying, but no.  We have to let players like bouye, dareus, campbell, lee, etc., go by next year to sign our young stars.  Only thing is, we need to hit in the draft to replace the players we release.  If you havent been paying attention, our drafting has not been lights out each year, so thats not a sure bet to place.  Just let the players play and worry about the cap later.  I'm hoping yannick stays strong when campbell leaves since we let fowler walk.  They cant stay together forever, but once our cornerstone(Calais) leaves, this D could be suspect if not properly retooled.

We could discuss Calais, but take Bouye off this list now. Ramsey is only half the secondary. Bouye is the other half. Together they'd make any secodary elite, and that's what you need nowadays in this passing league if you expect to win a Super Bowl. 
'02

(06-26-2019, 05:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 01:01 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: I see what setsuna is saying, but no.  We have to let players like bouye, dareus, campbell, lee, etc., go by next year to sign our young stars.  Only thing is, we need to hit in the draft to replace the players we release.  If you havent been paying attention, our drafting has not been lights out each year, so thats not a sure bet to place.  Just let the players play and worry about the cap later.  I'm hoping yannick stays strong when campbell leaves since we let fowler walk.  They cant stay together forever, but once our cornerstone(Calais) leaves, this D could be suspect if not properly retooled.

We could discuss Calais, but take Bouye off this list now. Ramsey is only half the secondary. Bouye is the other half. Together they'd make any secodary elite, and that's what you need nowadays in this passing league if you expect to win a Super Bowl. 

What's wrong with the team drafting Bouye's replacement and saving 11.5 million dollars next year, or the year after? 
They have to do it at some point.
Ramsey is actually 1/5 of the primary secondary formation btw.

(06-26-2019, 05:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Agreed on Bouye, he is only 27 and there are a number of guys we would cut before AJ

(06-26-2019, 07:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 05:36 PM)Jags02 Wrote: We could discuss Calais, but take Bouye off this list now. Ramsey is only half the secondary. Bouye is the other half. Together they'd make any secodary elite, and that's what you need nowadays in this passing league if you expect to win a Super Bowl. 

What's wrong with the team drafting Bouye's replacement and saving 11.5 million dollars next year, or the year after? 
They have to do it at some point.
Ramsey is actually 1/5 of the primary secondary formation btw.

$11.5 mil sounds like a bargain for Bouye.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just to nitpick a little, but Norwell didn't follow our traditional 2 year cheap out structure. He still has 9M of dead cap if he's cut after this year. That ain't happening.

(06-27-2019, 08:48 AM)Upper Wrote: Just to nitpick a little, but Norwell didn't follow our traditional 2 year cheap out structure. He still has 9M of dead cap if he's cut after this year. That ain't happening.

On Norwell...

We don't talk about him enough. One of the reasons I'm so giddy about this season and feel like this really could be a Super Bowl season is that I know Norwell and Linder will be working together up front. These are two of the best interior offensive linemen in the league and they don't get close to enough credit. Their loss to injury last year was a drastic setback.

When it comes to Norwell's contract, I love it. When you sign a guy at the start of free agency, you're usually making him the most expensive player at his position, and most of the time that means overpaying for talent. In Norwell's case, they got the guy actually rated as the best interior OL in the league at the time. This means that by giving him just enough to make him the most expensive G, they're actually paying him what he's worth. They're not even overpaying. He was a great signing aside from the injury, and I just have this hunch that he has a chip on his shoulder and is about to have a tremendous season. 
'02