Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Titans to retire S. McNair and E. George's #

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Titans to retire McNair and George's #

Here are some cute pics.  McNair with his girlfriend from Jacksonville who previously worked at Dave and Busters.  E. George with his wife from Brooklyn who is an R&B singer and actress.

[Image: vpk9s7.jpg]

[Image: eurweb-375x250.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Even though they both played for the Titans I used to like watching them play.  Two really good players during their time.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Always a fan of both. Mcnair made me a Titans fan. Didnt give a crap about the oilers till they moved up here to tacky valley
[Image: incredulous.gif]

It blows my mind that McNair, essentially David Garrard in Tennessee, gets so much regard. Aside from benefiting by playing a continually wilting Jaguars team in 1999 what is his accomplishment?

(06-14-2019, 09:19 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It blows my mind that McNair, essentially David Garrard in Tennessee, gets so much regard. Aside from benefiting by playing a continually wilting Jaguars team in 1999 what is his accomplishment?

3 pro bowls
10 playoff games
15 come from behind wins
21 game winning drives
174 career touchdown passes

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2019, 09:41 AM by SeldomRite.)

(06-14-2019, 09:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:19 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It blows my mind that McNair, essentially David Garrard in Tennessee, gets so much regard. Aside from benefiting by playing a continually wilting Jaguars team in 1999 what is his accomplishment?

3 pro bowls
10 playoff games
15 come from behind wins
21 game winning drives

McNair played about twice as many games as Garrard, Garrard had a pro bowl, played in 3 playoffs games but had talent starved teams around him to start and end his career keeping him from more, had 10 comebacks and 17 game winning drives, 89 career td passes (a higher td pass rate than McNair)

He played for some good titans teams, but he gets way to much credit for a mediocre career, which I guess is par for the course when it comes to QBs getting more credit and blame than they deserve.

(06-14-2019, 09:41 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: 3 pro bowls
10 playoff games
15 come from behind wins
21 game winning drives

McNair played about twice as many games as Garrard, Garrard had a pro bowl, played in 3 playoffs games but had talent starved teams around him to start and end his career keeping him from more, had 10 comebacks and 17 game winning drives, 89 career td passes (a higher td pass rate than McNair)

He played for some good titans teams, but he gets way to much credit for a mediocre career, which I guess is par for the course when it comes to QBs getting more credit and blame than they deserve.

What in the world does David Garrard have to do with the titans deciding to retire the number of a fan favorite QB who died tragically young? 

I don't get it.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2019, 10:12 AM by SeldomRite.)

(06-14-2019, 09:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:41 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: McNair played about twice as many games as Garrard, Garrard had a pro bowl, played in 3 playoffs games but had talent starved teams around him to start and end his career keeping him from more, had 10 comebacks and 17 game winning drives, 89 career td passes (a higher td pass rate than McNair)

What in the world does David Garrard have to do with the titans deciding to retire the number of a fan favorite QB who died tragically young? 

I don't get it.

What's wrong with pointing out they had practically the same ability as QBs? I just just don't understand why the guy is so highly thought of as a QB, like I said, as a player he essentially was Garrard with a longer and less statistically impressive career.

(06-14-2019, 10:11 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: What in the world does David Garrard have to do with the titans deciding to retire the number of a fan favorite QB who died tragically young? 

I don't get it.

What's wrong with pointing out they had practically the same ability as QBs? I just just don't understand why the guy is so highly thought of as a QB, like I said, as a player he essentially was Garrard with a longer and less statistically impressive career.

I'm taking Steve McNair 100 times out of 100 over Garrard (and I'm a Garrard fan)

(06-14-2019, 09:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:41 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: McNair played about twice as many games as Garrard, Garrard had a pro bowl, played in 3 playoffs games but had talent starved teams around him to start and end his career keeping him from more, had 10 comebacks and 17 game winning drives, 89 career td passes (a higher td pass rate than McNair)

I don't get it.

I think he was just pointing out they had eerily similar stats:

McNair  31,304 yards passing 174 tds 37 ints -- 3,590 rushing yards 37 tds
Garrard 16,003 yards passing   89 tds 54 ints -- 1,746 rushing yards 17 tds

(06-14-2019, 10:24 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: What in the world does David Garrard have to do with the titans deciding to retire the number of a fan favorite QB who died tragically young? 

I don't get it.

I think he was just pointing out they had eerily similar stats:

Yeah, but why? 

I mean, McNair clearly means/represents something different to the titans organization and fanbase than Garrard does to ours. 

That's why his number is being retired. 

Are we supposed to bash those fans for having a sentimentality over one of the better QBs they've had?

(06-14-2019, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 10:24 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I think he was just pointing out they had eerily similar stats:

Yeah, but why? 

I mean, McNair clearly means/represents something different to the titans organization and fanbase than Garrard does to ours. 

Are we supposed to bash those fans for having a sentimentality over one of the better QBs they've had?

I just think it's a little silly to celebrate someone that's not particularly good, but I also don't think Brunell belongs in the pride of the Jaguars, either.

That said it's just me sharing my opinion on it in a Jaguars fan forum. Maybe I should just be glad you're participating in the discussion with me, I get so little legitimate conversation here recently.

(06-14-2019, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 10:24 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I think he was just pointing out they had eerily similar stats:

Yeah, but why? 

I was being sarcastic.  I actually posted their stats showing they were dramatically different but you cut that off when you quoted my post.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2019, 02:08 PM by SeldomRite.)

(06-14-2019, 01:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah, but why? 

I was being sarcastic.  I actually posted their stats showing they were dramatically different but you cut that off when you quoted my post.

Then you don't get what sarcasm is. Your int stats for McNair were wrong, but otherwise the point is on a per pass basis they were practically the same, just that McNair had twice as many attempts. Though Garrard's stats we actually better per pass and he was more clutch if you think game winning drives and comeback wins mean anything.

McNair is a great example of getting too much credit for what his team did.

What would the opinion of him be if the "lateral" against the bills in '99 were correctly called a forward pass and the titans went one and done?

(06-14-2019, 12:52 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I just think it's a little silly to celebrate someone that's not particularly good, but I also don't think Brunell belongs in the pride of the Jaguars, either.

That said it's just me sharing my opinion on it in a Jaguars fan forum. Maybe I should just be glad you're participating in the discussion with me, I get so little legitimate conversation here recently.

I actually agree 

McNair is actually 5-5 in the post season with a 66.7 passer rating (6 TDs and 11 Ints)

Eddie George has 8 less rushing yards and almost 2,000 less receiving yards than Tiki Freaking Barber.  Just imagine the Giants retiring Tiki Barber's number .... LOL

(06-14-2019, 02:09 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 12:52 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: I just think it's a little silly to celebrate someone that's not particularly good, but I also don't think Brunell belongs in the pride of the Jaguars, either.

I actually agree 

McNair is actually 5-5 in the post season with a 66.7 passer rating (6 TDs and 11 Ints)

Eddie George has 8 less rushing yards and almost 2,000 less receiving yards than Tiki Freaking Barber.  Just imagine the Giants retiring Tiki Barber's number .... LOL

I can at least understand thinking Eddie George was good because he ran for a lot of tough yards since McNair wasn't much of a passer, but McNair was just a so-so QB that made his career by getting to the Superbowl on bad calls and noted cheating.

(06-14-2019, 01:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah, but why? 

Wink
oops

Great players. Even as rivals I always admired the way those two guys played the game. They were tough. They were physical. They would carry that team as much as they possibly could. McNair and George will always have my respect.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2019, 02:52 AM by JagsorDie.)

As a fan of the opposing team and probably one of the titans biggest haters, I have to be honest here, I can't believe there is even a debate. George and McNair deserve every bit of this. Comparing DG to them is way off, I think DG himself would tell you that. I like David as much as the next guy but McNair had a lot more to give and had already done more than DG was ever going to give.

NFL-wise a very middle-of-the-road quarterback.

But we'r talking about his team retiring his number. Not the Hall of Fame.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]