Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, are we going for Super Bowl or bust?

Legit question here. Most season we are aiming at just making the playoffs and seeing what happens once we get their.

Telvin Smith sitting out the year is going to “not help” us. I’m all about the next man up, but if we’re being honest it hurts a little.

We will have a better TE group by far. 

Our Oline will be above average with Linder, Robinson, Norwell, and Taylor.

We all hope Fournette shows up focused and angry.

At WR we have a bunch of number 2 guys. 

And then there’s Sacksonville. Our bread and butter. Ramsey, Jack, Bouye, Allen and the crew.

Lambo will give us stability in the kicking game.

Which leaves the most important piece...Foles

Are we just aiming for the playoffs and see what happens or are we playing for it all?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

When they give a free agent QB 50 million guaranteed, I expect the current regime thinks they at least have a crack at winning a playoff game. (Given the 2017 postseason and attempts to upgrade offense)

SB or bust? I seriously doubt anyone is looking at it that way.

I'd say it's something more like "try to be in contention to win the AFC south and then see how far we can take it from there."

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 04:17 PM by Caldrac.)

I think it's Super Bowl or bust when you consider the overall length of time that Dave Caldwell has been here coupled with Doug Marrone entering his third year as the head coach and Coughlin not getting any younger.

Even with a few losses on defense I still believe that Todd Wash and the locker room feel that they're capable of being a force to be reckoned with as they were in most of 2017.

If they fall short of the play-offs in remarkably ugly fashion this year we should expect a lot of heads to roll in December. If they get close like they did in 2017 they'll be fine. But the bar should still be set very high for this team.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 04:26 PM by knarnn.)

Just based on Khan’s comments at the end of the season, 5 or 6 wins won’t cut it this year and outside of unusual events (Foles missing significant time due to injury etc) a deep playoff run should be the expectation. Anything less is a failure and should result in one or more firings.

https://twitter.com/jaguars/status/10794...48480?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(06-13-2019, 04:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think it's Super Bowl or bust when you consider the overall length of time that Dave Caldwell has been here coupled with Doug Marrone entering his third year as the head coach and Coughlin not getting any younger.

Even with a few losses on defense I still believe that Todd Wash and the locker room feel that they're capable of being a force to be reckoned with as they were in most of 2017.

If they fall short of the play-offs in remarkably ugly fashion this year we should expect a lot of heads to roll in December. If they get close like they did in 2017 they'll be fine. But the bar should still be set very high for this team.

I’m starting to agree with this.

They made the mistake of giving Bortles extra money. They let Arob and Hurns walk while they hung their hats on Lee Chark Westbrook. 

They finally went and got a decent QB. I think it’s Super Bowl this year. Because guys like Campbell aren’t getting younger. Ramsey will break the bank when it’s his turn to get paid.

We’re still in our window but it’s closing up fast.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM by RicoTx.)

(06-13-2019, 05:40 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 04:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think it's Super Bowl or bust when you consider the overall length of time that Dave Caldwell has been here coupled with Doug Marrone entering his third year as the head coach and Coughlin not getting any younger.

I’m starting to agree with this.

They made the mistake of giving Bortles extra money. They let Arob and Hurns walk while they hung their hats on Lee Chark Westbrook. 

They finally went and got a decent QB. I think it’s Super Bowl this year. Because guys like Campbell aren’t getting younger. Ramsey will break the bank when it’s his turn to get paid.

LOL.  They let Hurns go. How in the world was that a bad move?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

A playoff spot wouldn't be a bust but a bit of a disappointment when we lose in the playoffs.

(06-13-2019, 06:38 PM)Rico Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 05:40 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m starting to agree with this.

LOL.  They let Hurns go. How in the world was that a bad move?

Dude had 295 yards receiving last season.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 08:36 PM by knarnn.)

(06-13-2019, 07:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A playoff spot wouldn't be a bust but a bit of a disappointment when we lose in the playoffs.

No worries. 10 other playoff teams will share the same sentiment along with the SB loser. Not to mention the other 19 teams who started their offseason early.

There is only one winner...
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

The Jags are going into their 25th year. A Superbowl win is quite a rarity for most teams and the stars typically have to align right for that to happen. I'd love the Jags to be in the Superbowl but let's face it, "Superbowl or bust" thinking means you'll spend the majority of your time as fan disappointed. I do expect a playoff appearance though given the talent level on this team.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2019, 10:01 PM by homebiscuit.)

Describe bust. Having a better than .500 season, winning the division, touching the playoffs, and not allowing Derrick Henry to steam roll us in humiliating fashion would be considered a success in my book.

Hurns has done something only 3 other receivers has done in team history.

What he done last year on another team doesn’t have anything to do with how I put it. If he would have had 295 as a Jaguar in the same offense, then I could bring that up. Same thing with Arob.

(06-13-2019, 03:54 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Legit question here. Most season we are aiming at just making the playoffs and seeing what happens once we get their.

Telvin Smith sitting out the year is going to “not help” us. I’m all about the next man up, but if we’re being honest it hurts a little.

And then there’s Sacksonville. Our bread and butter. Ramsey, Jack, Bouye, Allen and the crew.

Are we just aiming for the playoffs and see what happens or are we playing for it all?

We're looking to be contenders within the AFC South. Nothing More, Nothing Less.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(06-13-2019, 11:07 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Hurns has done something only 3 other receivers has done in team history.

What he done last year on another team doesn’t have anything to do with how I put it. If he would have had 295 as a Jaguar in the same offense, then I could bring that up. Same thing with Arob.

LOL...suuure.  The guy was nothing special and always hurt.  And guess what happened last year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

The way you win a Super Bowl is to make the playoffs and get hot. Which happens all the time. So all they can do is make the playoffs, and it's a roll of the dice from there. So, Super Bowl or bust? No. Just make the playoffs. After that, anything is possible.

(06-14-2019, 11:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: The way you win a Super Bowl is to make the playoffs and get hot.   Which happens all the time.   So all they can do is make the playoffs, and it's a roll of the dice from there.   So, Super Bowl or bust?  No.   Just make the playoffs.  After that, anything is possible.
Making the playoffs is going to be a tall order, IMO. The AFC South is no joke and I believe it's the 2nd most competitive division behind the NFC South (Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Bucs). 

Colts are the favorites IMO, Texans have a potent pass rush with Watson and Hopkins, and then the titans seem to have the Jags number. It's going to be a tall order this season and if they miss out on winning the division, you have to contend with the Wild Card spots which could be Steelers, Browns, Ravens, Chiefs, Chargers.... Gonna be a wild season.

I think playoffs or bust is what I expect.

(06-14-2019, 09:57 AM)Rico Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 11:07 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Hurns has done something only 3 other receivers has done in team history.

LOL...suuure.  The guy was nothing special and always hurt.  And guess what happened last year.

I agree he wasn’t anything special. He still has a better resume than any WR on our team.

I see a lot of fans looking at WR positions like last year. Hopefully Foles can turn them into above average.

(06-13-2019, 03:54 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Legit question here. Most season we are aiming at just making the playoffs and seeing what happens once we get their.

(06-13-2019, 08:30 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(06-13-2019, 07:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A playoff spot wouldn't be a bust but a bit of a disappointment when we lose in the playoffs.

No worries. 10 other playoff teams will share the same sentiment along with the SB loser. Not to mention the other 19 teams who started their offseason early.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12213479]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-13-2019, 08:30 PM)knarnn Wrote:

Yeah but I'm still upset when we lose.  I have a little passion for my team