Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jalen Ramsey won't give Jags discount in next contract

(06-14-2019, 06:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: According to Spotrac, if we pick up his 2020 option it will cost us $13,703,000 against our cap. It would probably be more economical to renegotiate after the 2019 season and back load the new deal.

Not if he wants 20 mil a year

You can back load a 5 year contract to make it average 20 million a year, but structure it so the bulk of the money comes in the last 2 years. For instance pay him $12 million the first year, $14 million the 2nd year, $15 million the 3rd year, $18 million the 4th year and $31 million in year 5 with $73 million guaranteed. It would look terrible on paper (and it is), but if you just looked at the totals it's way worse. In reality you cut him in the final year of the deal, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Hopefully, we aren't stupid enough to pay this much for a CB though. The current top deal for a CB is $75 million, averaging $15,050,000 and $50 million guaranteed, so we just have to beat that. If Ramsey asks for $20 million a year, we'd be absolutely nuts to pay that. That's 5 million more per year, than the next closest guy. He'd literally price himself out of the league.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-14-2019, 03:29 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Knowing our front office, they will play hard ball with him and then tag him.

Then he holds out.

"Knowing our front office"??

When has our current front office ever done anything that would make you think that?

(06-15-2019, 05:55 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 03:29 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Knowing our front office, they will play hard ball with him and then tag him.

Then he holds out.

"Knowing our front office"??

When has our current front office ever done anything that would make you think that?

Was going to say exactly the same thing.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-14-2019, 11:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not if he wants 20 mil a year

You can back load a 5 year contract to make it average 20 million a year, but structure it so the bulk of the money comes in the last 2 years. For instance pay him $12 million the first year, $14 million the 2nd year, $15 million the 3rd year, $18 million the 4th year and $31 million in year 5 with $73 million guaranteed. It would look terrible on paper (and it is), but if you just looked at the totals it's way worse. In reality you cut him in the final year of the deal, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Hopefully, we aren't stupid enough to pay this much for a CB though. The current top deal for a CB is $75 million, averaging $15,050,000 and $50 million guaranteed, so we just have to beat that. If Ramsey asks for $20 million a year, we'd be absolutely nuts to pay that. That's 5 million more per year, than the next closest guy. He'd literally price himself out of the league.

Nah it's Jalen. There hasn't been a corner as good as him up for a contract at his age and level of stardom in a good while.  

He's going to completely reset the market whether it's here or elsewhere, you're looking at a minimum of 18 per year and likely 20.

if the players are more interested in money then being a team player,and bring a champtionship to jacksonville let them walk. we want team playrs not ones all about the money,and now we have 3 players worried about money. we all know telvin is takeing year off due to money,now we have ramsy, and Ngakoue wanting more money.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(06-15-2019, 08:19 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: if the players are more interested in money then being a team player,and bring a  champtionship to jacksonville let them walk.  we want team playrs not ones all about the money,and now we have 3 players worried about money. we all know telvin is takeing year off due to money,now we have ramsy, and  Ngakoue wanting more money.

We 'know' Telvin is taking the year off due to money?  

We do?

its always about the money.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(06-15-2019, 09:04 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: its always about the money.

Good point though this case appears to be the exception.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-15-2019, 07:41 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You can back load a 5 year contract to make it average 20 million a year, but structure it so the bulk of the money comes in the last 2 years. For instance pay him $12 million the first year, $14 million the 2nd year, $15 million the 3rd year, $18 million the 4th year and $31 million in year 5 with $73 million guaranteed. It would look terrible on paper (and it is), but if you just looked at the totals it's way worse. In reality you cut him in the final year of the deal, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Hopefully, we aren't stupid enough to pay this much for a CB though. The current top deal for a CB is $75 million, averaging $15,050,000 and $50 million guaranteed, so we just have to beat that. If Ramsey asks for $20 million a year, we'd be absolutely nuts to pay that. That's 5 million more per year, than the next closest guy. He'd literally price himself out of the league.

Nah it's Jalen. There hasn't been a corner as good as him up for a contract at his age and level of stardom in a good while.  

He's going to completely reset the market whether it's here or elsewhere, you're looking at a minimum of 18 per year and likely 20.

Then it's an easy decision for me. I trade him. We'd probably get a minimum of 2 high round picks for him. You can't keep him and Ngakoue at those prices and I'd much rather have Yannick. We still have Bouye and I'd likely target a CB in the first round in next season's draft as a replacement. When you have this much talent, you're going to have to choose between keeping some and trading some to stay under the cap. To me, pass rushers will always take precedence over a CB.

(06-15-2019, 09:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 07:41 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nah it's Jalen. There hasn't been a corner as good as him up for a contract at his age and level of stardom in a good while.  

Then it's an easy decision for me. I trade him. We'd probably get a minimum of 2 high round picks for him. You can't keep him and Ngakoue at those prices and I'd much rather have Yannick. We still have Bouye and I'd likely target a CB in the first round in next season's draft as a replacement. When you have this much talent, you're going to have to choose between keeping some and trading some to stay under the cap. To me, pass rushers will always take precedence over a CB.

Agreed.  If the guy was Prime, Champ, or Revis it would be one thing, but he's not.  Yannick is definitely the more important player to keep imo.  Like you said, it would be an easy decision to trade him if he's asking for crazy money

(06-15-2019, 09:04 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: its always about the money.

So he's giving away money and that's some sort of contract negotiation ploy?

Either he's really, really, dumb or you're really, really, wrond.

I know which one I'm going with.

Glad yall are not the gm lol. Yall act like its so easy to replace elite talent like Ramsey or Yannick in the draft. In our years of existence how many players are going to make it to the hall of fame, better yet how many different players have we had, that were even pro bowl material? Why replace them. Lock them down and replace replaceable players. Our coaching staff is not on the level of the patriots where we can make bums excel

(06-15-2019, 07:41 AM)JackCity Wrote: Nah it's Jalen. There hasn't been a corner as good as him up for a contract at his age and level of stardom in a good while.  

You can pretty easily keep Yannick and Ramsey at those prices. Our cap is very malleable and outside of a handful of players nobody we need to commit to past 2022. This is like the scaremongering people did last season about the cap and Cousins.

I could not agree more.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Keep both. This guy is literally tops at his position and ya'll want to let him go. After all the clamoring for Foles, a low end starter, ya'll want to let an elite player go. I'm taking a day off from this MB.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2019, 11:46 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(06-15-2019, 07:41 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You can back load a 5 year contract to make it average 20 million a year, but structure it so the bulk of the money comes in the last 2 years. For instance pay him $12 million the first year, $14 million the 2nd year, $15 million the 3rd year, $18 million the 4th year and $31 million in year 5 with $73 million guaranteed. It would look terrible on paper (and it is), but if you just looked at the totals it's way worse. In reality you cut him in the final year of the deal, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Hopefully, we aren't stupid enough to pay this much for a CB though. The current top deal for a CB is $75 million, averaging $15,050,000 and $50 million guaranteed, so we just have to beat that. If Ramsey asks for $20 million a year, we'd be absolutely nuts to pay that. That's 5 million more per year, than the next closest guy. He'd literally price himself out of the league.

It won't be here if he's asking that much. There is no way we could fit him under the cap at that price and pay Yannick (who is way more important.) Hopefully we have enough sense to trade Jalen instead of letting him walk though. I wish we could keep both, but with those type of contracts on top of Foles' deal and the other guys we have, it's just not possible.

(06-15-2019, 10:29 AM)D-Money Wrote: Glad yall are not the gm lol. Yall act like its so easy to replace elite talent like Ramsey or Yannick in the draft. In our years of existence how many players are going to make it to the hall of fame, better yet how many different players have we had, that were even pro bowl material? Why replace them. Lock them down and replace replaceable players. Our coaching staff is not on the level of the patriots where we can make bums excel

Dude, if you don't have the cap money, you don't have the cap money. You have to field an entire team and sometimes you have to let stars go, because the mathematics just don't align. No one wants to lose these guys, but if there's not enough money to go around, what are we supposed to do?

Complain the team is terrible at drafting.
Not re-sign great player that the team drafted because we can find a replacement in the draft.

You can't name this stuff up...
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

(06-15-2019, 10:50 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 09:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Then it's an easy decision for me. I trade him. We'd probably get a minimum of 2 high round picks for him. You can't keep him and Ngakoue at those prices and I'd much rather have Yannick. We still have Bouye and I'd likely target a CB in the first round in next season's draft as a replacement. When you have this much talent, you're going to have to choose between keeping some and trading some to stay under the cap. To me, pass rushers will always take precedence over a CB.

You can pretty easily keep Yannick and Ramsey at those prices. Our cap is very malleable and outside of a handful of players nobody we need to commit to past 2022. This is like the scaremongering people did last season about the cap and Cousins.

And passing on Cousins was the right decision. It's not scaremongering. We're running out of big contracts to get rid of and we're close enough to the cap limit where spending an average of $20 million per player on two guys is nearly impossible. Between Foles, Ramsey and Yannick we'd have over $60 million per year invested in 3 players. That would leave about $125 million to field the rest of the entire team (50 more players.) I just don't see that happening.

(06-15-2019, 11:47 AM)MightyRx Wrote: Complain the team is terrible at drafting.
Not re-sign great player that the team drafted because we can find a replacement in the draft.

Some of you guys just like to ignore facts. Do you think these guys are gonna play for free? If there's not enough money, there's not enough money. They NFL isn't like life. You can't use credit cards. You have an allotted amount of money to spend and when that's gone, it's gone. If there was no cap, we wouldn't have a problem. We easily keep them all. Unfortunately, there is and the NFL is not like the NBA, where you spend 80-90% of your cap on 2-3 guys. That wouldn't be smart. Football is different. You need 11 guys on offense, 11 guys on defense and special teams players, unlike the NBA where you only have 5 guys on the court.

(06-15-2019, 12:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 11:47 AM)MightyRx Wrote: Complain the team is terrible at drafting.

Some of you guys just like to ignore facts. Do you think these guys are gonna play for free? If there's not enough money, there's not enough money. They NFL isn't like life. You can't use credit cards. You have an allotted amount of money to spend and when that's gone, it's gone. If there was no cap, we wouldn't have a problem. We easily keep them all. Unfortunately, there is and the NFL is not like the NBA, where you spend 80-90% of your cap on 2-3 guys. That wouldn't be smart. Football is different. You need 11 guys on offense, 11 guys on defense and special teams players, unlike the NBA where you only have 5 guys on the court.

Keeping Ngakoue and Ramsey is completely do-able. 
Even if Yannick gets top 5 DE money and Jalen resets the CB market. 
The jags will trim fat after the 2019 season to the tune of 30 mil in cap space and the cap will rise another 12-15 mil.