Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I was looking at Jimmy Smith’s stats today

And realized that he was 195 yards shy of having 10 straight seasons of 1000 yards receiving. 

In 2003 he only played 12 games. I’m pretty sure he would have got 195 yards over 4 games if he would have played.

That’s actually pretty incredible. Even at 36 years old he had over 1000 yards.

I really hope Boselli gets in the hall of fame. And I hope Taylor gets in also, but Jimmy Smith could have a chance down the road, right? He really didn’t start playing until his mid 20s bc of his injury early on. 

Out of Boselli, Taylor, and Smith I would have to say Smith’s fade to glory was the most iconic play for our franchise of all time.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

(06-17-2019, 05:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: And realized that he was 195 yards shy of having 10 straight seasons of 1000 yards receiving. 

In 2003 he only played 12 games. I’m pretty sure he would have got 195 yards over 4 games if he would have played.

I really hope Boselli gets in the hall of fame. And I hope Taylor gets in also, but Jimmy Smith could have a chance down the road, right? He really didn’t start playing until his mid 20s bc of his injury early on. 

Out of Boselli, Taylor, and Smith I would have to say Smith’s fade to glory was the most iconic play for our franchise of all time.

He was a sensational receiver and somehow gets overlooked sometimes (probably because of his off the field issues).  I'd say he's every bit as deserving as Boselli and Taylor.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-17-2019, 06:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 05:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: And realized that he was 195 yards shy of having 10 straight seasons of 1000 yards receiving. 

He was a sensational receiver and somehow gets overlooked sometimes (probably because of his off the field issues).  I'd say he's every bit as deserving as Boselli and Taylor.

I honestly feel like that too. 

If we were to base it on stats and longevity along with impactful plays, then Jimmy Smith could be considered our best player of all time. 

I love me some Fred Taylor just as much as other people but his career started off with injuries. Smith was just so consistent and reliable on the field. He made the Pro Bowl year and and year out.

Boselli would have been the best lineman ever if injuries didn’t creep up on him as well.

Smith was never really injured as a Jaguar and he dominated. He had another gear and converted a lot of 3rd downs. I just don’t see why he doesn’t get mentioned when we talk about the bests WRs of all time. 

Rice, Moss, Owens are the best all time but then you have a tier lower which would include guys like Marvin Harrison, Jimmy Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, etc. 

I hope he gets in after Boselli and Taylor one day.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/l...career.htm

23rd on the all time yards list. His on field efforts definitely deserves consideration as he’s right up there and slightly ahead of guys like Hines Ward, Michael Irvin, and Calvin Johnson. But because of the log jam at WR he may never get in, not even mentioning the off the field stuff.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(06-17-2019, 08:16 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/l...career.htm

23rd on the all time yards list. His on field efforts definitely deserves consideration as he’s right up there and slightly ahead of guys like Hines Ward,  Michael Irvin, and Calvin Johnson. But because of the log jam at WR he may never get in, not even mentioning the off the field stuff.

I don’t see how Calvin Johnson could get in, when there’s guys out there like Jimmy Smith.

Hines Ward would only get in over Smith bc he had a ring and played in Pittsburgh.

Jimmy tended to angle himself toward the sideline going out of bounds instead of turning upfield to try and score. I was thinking his TD count surely lagged a bit compared to guys with similar yardage and receptions production. That said, I looked around for evidence, and that's not really the case. With only a few exceptions where guys are true TD machines (i.e., Antonio Brown, Steve Largent), Jimmy's stats were right on par with most receivers. Jimmy consistently had between 6 and 8 TDs with the Jaguars, and that's not shabby at all. 
'02

(06-17-2019, 07:07 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 06:56 PM)hb1148 Wrote: He was a sensational receiver and somehow gets overlooked sometimes (probably because of his off the field issues).  I'd say he's every bit as deserving as Boselli and Taylor.

I honestly feel like that too. 

If we were to base it on stats and longevity along with impactful plays, then Jimmy Smith could be considered our best player of all time. 

I love me some Fred Taylor just as much as other people but his career started off with injuries. Smith was just so consistent and reliable on the field. He made the Pro Bowl year and and year out.

Boselli would have been the best lineman ever if injuries didn’t creep up on him as well.

Smith was never really injured as a Jaguar and he dominated. He had another gear and converted a lot of 3rd downs. I just don’t see why he doesn’t get mentioned when we talk about the bests WRs of all time. 

Rice, Moss, Owens are the best all time but then you have a tier lower which would include guys like Marvin Harrison, Jimmy Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, etc. 

Harrison is an interesting case.  He also ended up with off-field issues, right?  And I think you have to discount his stats because Peyton Manning was throwing the ball.  Jimmy Smith didn't have that benefit.  But the HOF voters have already spoken.  Harrison is in, Smith is out.  I don't think it's fair but I also don't think it's going to change.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2019, 10:01 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(06-18-2019, 05:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Jimmy tended to angle himself toward the sideline going out of bounds instead of turning upfield to try and score. I was thinking his TD count surely lagged a bit compared to guys with similar yardage and receptions production. That said, I looked around for evidence, and that's not really the case. With only a few exceptions where guys are true TD machines (i.e., Antonio Brown, Steve Largent), Jimmy's stats were right on par with most receivers. Jimmy consistently had between 6 and 8 TDs with the Jaguars, and that's not shabby at all. 

He had 3 years with 8 TDs and 1 year with 7. Even during that season he led the league in receptions in 1999, he only scored 5 times.

Side note- from 1996 to 2001, Jimmy Smith caught more balls for more yards than other other WR in the league, all while making it to his 5th straight Pro Bowl.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2019, 09:05 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Jimmy was really good and because of his contribution to the Jags 12,287 yards with 67 TDs definitely belongs in our Pride of the Jaguars.

Conversely, Keenan's contribution to the Jaguars was a mere 6,393 yards with 30 TDs and should never be considered (although locals tend to over value our players)

Comparatively speaking
TY Hilton already has 8,097 yards and 40 TDs with the Colts.
Demaryius Thomas has 9055 yards with 60 TDs with the Broncos

Hilton has already accomplished more with the Colts and I highly doubt the Broncos would ever consider adding Thomas to their Ring of Honor (lol)

The stats for receivers in today’s NFL are inflated well above what they likely would’ve had in the 90s and early 00s. I have no doubt Jimmy would be top-10 all-time if he played in today’s NFL. There’s no telling what he’d accomplish with a Manning, Brees, or Brady.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2019, 10:11 AM by Caldrac.)

As good as Jimmy Smith was. I still can't believe Fred Taylor at one point was the 12th or 15th all time leading rusher in NFL history DESPITE missing well over 60 potential regular NFL game starts in his career. He basically missed roughly four years worth of football. That's impressive to me.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(06-18-2019, 10:09 AM)Caldrac Wrote: As good as Jimmy Smith was. I still can't believe Fred Taylor at one point was the 12th or 15th all time leading rusher in NFL history DESPITE missing well over 60 potential regular NFL game starts in his career. He basically missed roughly four years worth of football. That's impressive to me.

We've had a good run at RBs given the likes and longevity of Freddy T and MoJo.   This franchise as sucked in many positions (including Front Office and Coaching) but RB was not one of them.

(06-18-2019, 08:55 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 05:01 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Jimmy tended to angle himself toward the sideline going out of bounds instead of turning upfield to try and score. I was thinking his TD count surely lagged a bit compared to guys with similar yardage and receptions production. That said, I looked around for evidence, and that's not really the case. With only a few exceptions where guys are true TD machines (i.e., Antonio Brown, Steve Largent), Jimmy's stats were right on par with most receivers. Jimmy consistently had between 6 and 8 TDs with the Jaguars, and that's not shabby at all. 

He had 3 years with 8 TDs and 1 year with 7. Even during that season he led the league in receptions in 1999, he only scored 5 times.

Side note- from 1996 to 2001, Jimmy Smith caught more balls for lore yards than other other WR in the league, all while making it to his 5th straight Pro Bowl.

His stats from 1996-2001 are very interesting. Everyone says Boselli's dominance during his relatively brief career merit him entering the HOF. On that basis, Jimmy Smith deserves more consideration than he has received. If he had some double-digit touchdown seasons, his chances of getting to Canton would have been much higher. I still say he was the greatest Jaguar ever. Even when double-teamed, the guy couldn't be covered while in his prime. His record-breaking game against the Ravens dominant defense was the greatest performance in Jaguars history.

(06-18-2019, 01:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 08:55 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He had 3 years with 8 TDs and 1 year with 7. Even during that season he led the league in receptions in 1999, he only scored 5 times.

Side note- from 1996 to 2001, Jimmy Smith caught more balls for lore yards than other other WR in the league, all while making it to his 5th straight Pro Bowl.

His stats from 1996-2001 are very interesting. Everyone says Boselli's dominance during his relatively brief career merit him entering the HOF. On that basis, Jimmy Smith deserves more consideration than he has received. If he had some double-digit touchdown seasons, his chances of getting to Canton would have been much higher. I still say he was the greatest Jaguar ever. Even when double-teamed, the guy couldn't be covered while in his prime. His record-breaking game against the Ravens dominant defense was the greatest performance in Jaguars history.

I agree with everything you said except for your last sentence.

Taylor had 190 and 2 at halftime against Miami. If he would have played the the entire game he would have scored 5 TDs with 300 yards rushing. And it was our first home playoff game ever.

However Jimmys Baltimore game is up there and debatable. I guess it comes down to your own opinion.

Some top all time performances are

1 Jimmys 291 at Balt 
2 Fred’s 234 and 4 at Pitt
3 James Stewart 5 TDs vs Eagles in 1997
4 Means 181 vs Denver (or Buf)
5 Barker’s coffin punts vs Balt in that 6-3 game
6 Our defense on MNF vs Steeler 9-0
7 Keenan’s 18 receptions against the Rams
8 Fournette’s 191 at Pitt 
9 Blackmon’s 200 yard day up in Houston 
10 MJD 303 all purpose yards vs Colts
11 Mathis games against Steelers 
12 Clyde Simmons up in Buff in our first playoff game 
13 Fowler’s game up in NE AFC title game 

Probably forgetting a lot more

If Jimmy stayed a Cowboy with that production or a packer he would be in the hall.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(06-18-2019, 10:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 01:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: His stats from 1996-2001 are very interesting. Everyone says Boselli's dominance during his relatively brief career merit him entering the HOF. On that basis, Jimmy Smith deserves more consideration than he has received. If he had some double-digit touchdown seasons, his chances of getting to Canton would have been much higher. I still say he was the greatest Jaguar ever. Even when double-teamed, the guy couldn't be covered while in his prime. His record-breaking game against the Ravens dominant defense was the greatest performance in Jaguars history.

I agree with everything you said except for your last sentence.

Taylor had 190 and 2 at halftime against Miami. If he would have played the the entire game he would have scored 5 TDs with 300 yards rushing. And it was our first home playoff game ever.

However Jimmys Baltimore game is up there and debatable. I guess it comes down to your own opinion.

1 Jimmys 291 at Balt 

That's an impressive list bringing back many great memories. I can think of a few more:

Pete Mitchell caught 15 passes for 196 yards and a touchdown in 1998 against the Ravens, I believe. It was especially amazing since he never had any other games remotely as good.

Tony Brackens had many great games, but it seems like he almost took over a Monday night game one year. He had a fumble recovery, interception and basically wreaked havoc the entire game! It's a shame he never reached his true potential due to a reported lack of effort.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2019, 09:03 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(06-19-2019, 07:18 PM)Hey jaglou53 Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 10:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I agree with everything you said except for your last sentence.

1 Jimmys 291 at Balt 

That's an impressive list bringing back many great memories. I can think of a few more:

Pete Mitchell caught 15 passes for 196 yards and a touchdown in 1998 against the Ravens, I believe. It was especially amazing since he never had any other games remotely as good.

Tony Brackens had many great games, but it seems like he almost took over a Monday night game one year. He had a fumble recovery, interception and basically wreaked havoc the entire game! It's a shame he never reached his true potential due to a reported lack of effort.

Yeah I forgot those

Brackens night game vs Tony Banks and the Ravens put him in the pro bowl that year.

He had a strip sack fumble and an int on the goal line for a TD.

Another great performance was Beasley vs Dan Marino in those 1999 playoffs. 2 picks.

Oh and how about MJDs day up in Tennessee when he went for, I think 177 on like 9 carries

And that time we held Larry Johnson to just 5 yards rushing back when LJ was a beast. I would have to put that up there too.

(06-19-2019, 07:06 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: If Jimmy stayed a Cowboy with that production or a packer he would be in the hall.

@If Jimmy stayed a cowboy he might have snorted his nose clean off.@

On either of those teams, he might not have been the 1, so he possibly would have even fewer yards on his resume. Given some of the recent HOF classes, I don't hold membership as a definition of greatness as it once was. If Jimmy didn't end up in Jax, we might be discussing the LA Jaguars, too.

(06-18-2019, 08:33 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 07:07 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I honestly feel like that too. 

Harrison is an interesting case.  He also ended up with off-field issues, right?  And I think you have to discount his stats because Peyton Manning was throwing the ball.  Jimmy Smith didn't have that benefit.  But the HOF voters have already spoken.  Harrison is in, Smith is out.  I don't think it's fair but I also don't think it's going to change.

Wait...

Harrison > Smith.

So, what are you saying? Are you thinking there some reason Jimmy should get in over Harrison????
'02