Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: 2019 Jags defense will rank:
Top 3 in the league
Top 5 in the league
Top 10 in the league
Top 20 in the league
[Show Results]

2019 Defensive Rankings

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1143928077652594688

Where do you rank the Jags defense heading into 2019? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I said top 5, but it could easily be top 1, because an improved offense will keep the defense off the field.

Top 5. Other than the Chiefs, Saints, Chargers & Falcons the rest of this year's scheduled opponents seem pretty pedestrian on paper when it comes to the offensive side of the football. They still gave the Chiefs a tough time on defense last year. As well as the Chargers.

As long as this offense keeps it's head out of it's [BLEEP] and Foles doesn't turn into Bortles they should also be giving this defense adequate rest and avoiding short field position battles due to bad decision making.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'd say we have the 1st ranked D as well. DJ sleeping on Buf. D

With alot of players needing to show their worth, for another contract here or elsewhere, top 3 is the goal. If not, alot of players are gone or resigned for cheap due to bad play.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Okay, I have to take a friendly jab at NYC for this one. Considering how the poll is created, wouldn't I have the best chance of being correct by picking "Top 20 defense"? If they do finish number one, they're still a top 20 defense, no?

(06-26-2019, 07:55 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Okay, I have to take a friendly jab at NYC for this one. Considering how the poll is created, wouldn't I have the best chance of being correct by picking "Top 20 defense"? If they do finish number one, they're still a top 20 defense, no?

Big Grin   HA!! 

Poorly structured poll. 

Also - no blank #2 or corn options.  I have to own the "L" on this one.

It really depends what you mean by Top 5 -- PPG, yards, TO's, etc?

I think this team could be considered in the top 5 defenses, but I could see some of their rankings in a number of stats being outside of the top 5 simply because of the nature of the 2019 schedule with lots of teams that can put up points/yards quickly.

Oh, and on to the topic, I believe the unit will be top five, for sure.

With the question mark at FS and Telvin Smith not playing, I had to go top 10.

I think we’re going to be good against the run, but we’re going to struggle against the pass.

Say whatever you want, but Smith will be heavily missed on that defense.

I put top 10. Jax does not seem to have a winning mentality (cept for Campbell)
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

If the offense is scoring points and keeping us ahead, the defense will get more opportunities for turnovers and big plays. We are going to need Foles to play well, but really need 3nette to show up. I’m optimistic the offense plays well and defense benefits via a #1 ranking in TO and points against.

I agree about 3nette. We need this guy to step up BIG time this year. Anything outside of top 5 in rushing and I’m done with him. He seriously needs to go for about 1400 and 14.

My viewpoint is that certain circumstances will prevail to how our D will rank at the end of the season. We're missing two starting linebackers. Myles is the only returning starter at the position that matters. Replacing Telvin will be vital to this ranking to say the least. We also have two safeties that's promising but unproven, also our D-Link was shaken up a little in the middle.

Now we do have players in place to which I'm praying, praying and will continue to pray that'll step up and fill the void(s). If this materializes, my vote of Top 5 will come to fruition to say the least.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I voted Top 20 so I have 20 chances of being right.

(06-27-2019, 08:55 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: I put top 10. Jax does not seem to have a winning mentality (cept for Campbell)

Cept for Campbell?

Ramsey certainly has that winning mentality. Come on! 

(06-27-2019, 04:29 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I agree about 3nette. We need this guy to step up BIG time this year. Anything outside of top 5 in rushing and I’m done with him. He seriously needs to go for about 1400 and 14.

I presume "3nette" was a typo? 1400 yards and 14 TDs would likely lead the AFC in both categories for a RB. That's probably pushing it, but I see Armstead getting some carries as well and overall the Jaguars having plenty of rushing yards. 
'02

Top 10. We'll miss Telvin's experience and the loss of Gipson is going to hurt more than people realize, I suspect the same goes for Jackson. And Campbell is another year older. Having an offense that can stay on the field will help though.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I said top 10, but defensive ranking is very subjective. What are we ranking? Points scored against? Yards allowed? TOP?

I seem to recall the year that Blake seemed to throw a pick 6 every game that our defense ranked very well in points allowed. Of course, that's because the other team's offense never saw the field, or were in kill the clock mode by Q3. The ranking means a lot less to me than whether or not they are a liability or a strength.

I think Smoot gonna surprise some people this year

(06-28-2019, 09:24 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think Smoot gonna surprise some people this year

Smoot would surprise EVERYBODY if stepped up his game. I sincerely hope so but he's only been third string back up material so far. I'd truly love for him to warrant an second contract w/our Jaguars.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"