Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Descendant's of Slaves

Russel Wilson recently made a comment about immigration and qualified his position with the trope "As a Descendant of Slaves" etc. etc. With all the talk of reparations, I thought it would be worth pointing out that slavery is probably one of the most ubiquitous institutions in human history.  If you go back far enough, everyone everywhere is descendant of a slave.  And historically Slavery isn't exclusive to blacks.  In fact, the term SLAVE is derivative of SLAV who were a European ethnic group more historically associated with Slavery than Africans.  

Why is the left allowed to perpetuate the FEELING that slavery only started in 1776 as an institution created by whites for blacks?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-28-2019, 02:54 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Russel Wilson recently made a comment about immigration and qualified his position with the trope "As a Descendant of Slaves" etc. etc. With all the talk of reparations, I thought it would be worth pointing out that slavery is probably one of the most ubiquitous institutions in human history.  If you go back far enough, everyone everywhere is descendant of a slave.  And historically Slavery isn't exclusive to blacks.  In fact, the term SLAVE is derivative of SLAV who were a European ethnic group more historically associated with Slavery than Africans.  

Why is the left allowed to perpetuate the FEELING that slavery only started in 1776 as an institution created by whites for blacks?

Let's not forget it was Africans selling other Africans to the Dutch

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2019, 03:41 PM by USCG_JAG.)

The problem with the ideology of slavery that is perpetuated here in the US seems to have one goal which is to divide us by race. The unfortunate truth to this drives a stake between white and black Americans. The United States was only responsible for 5% of the entire worlds import of slaves from Africa, most ended up in South America up until the 1860’s.

All races and religions have had times and periods of enslaving and enslavement. This shows that it’s a humanity issue, not a “white person in the US circa 2019” problem.

Point in case the Barbary Wars in 1815 versus Tripolian pirates (whom were Islamic extremists) which were of mixed colors and enslaved between 1 to 1.5 million people from Europe, Africa, and as far north as Ireland. You had three choices if caught by them: convert to Islam, die, or be enslaved and sold/ransomed.

The ugly truth is that people suck. As long as humans are on this planet, chaos and evil will always exist. Just like slavery still does in parts of the world, which conveniently gets ignored...

My personal beliefs stand at this, if you live in this country you can consider yourself lucky no matter how you or your descendants arrived. If you love this country, you are my brother, you’re my sister.

I’ve seen some $h!t that puts the greatness of our country and the principles it was built on that allows us to continue pushing societal norms in the correct direction. We all have growing pains and choices that will always follow us. Slavery, civil war, women’s suffrage, and segregation will always be in our history despite what certain groups try to remove. These things stand to remind us that we are an imperfect union continually pushing for a “More Perfect Union”.

(06-28-2019, 02:54 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Russel Wilson recently made a comment about immigration and qualified his position with the trope "As a Descendant of Slaves" etc. etc. With all the talk of reparations, I thought it would be worth pointing out that slavery is probably one of the most ubiquitous institutions in human history.  If you go back far enough, everyone everywhere is descendant of a slave.  And historically Slavery isn't exclusive to blacks.  In fact, the term SLAVE is derivative of SLAV who were a European ethnic group more historically associated with Slavery than Africans.  

I think you're being obtuse.
Look at the context.
By your own words, he brought up slavery in the context of immigration: how people, our ancestors, arrived in this country.
From 1607 to the present, most people came to what became the mainland US of their own free will, looking for a better life.
But from 1619 to 1860, some people arrived there against their will, and nearly all of these were black.

It's true that if you go back far enough, there's a slave in every family tree and in every country.
But most of us have to go much further back than Russell Wilson does.  And most of those stories don't relate to immigration.  Russell Wilson's does.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The ancient Egyptians enslaved Israelites. I'm pretty sure the word used for them was not a derivative of Slav.

Russel Wilson is a descendant of slaves brought to this country legally. Our government sanctioned the practice and was responsible.The bad guy is easily identified. Whether or not you think reparations are justified, your idea that we all descended from slaves is not only untrue, it's irrelevant.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(06-28-2019, 05:10 PM)rollerjag Wrote:

The ancient Egyptians enslaved Israelites. I'm pretty sure the word used for them was not a derivative of Slav.

Russel Wilson is a descendant of slaves brought to this country legally. Our government sanctioned the practice and was responsible.The bad guy is easily identified. Whether or not you think reparations are justified, your idea that we all descended from slaves is not only untrue, it's irrelevant.

What?

People like you are just so pathetically sad and guilt-ridden.

The bad guy is easily identified? Dude... according to whom? The British at the time? It was a practice done around the world especially in developing countries which the US very much was and the British very much weren't.

And yes, we are ALL descended from slaves you nitwit. All of us. And why is that any more irrelevant than Russell Wilson great great great great great grandparents?

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2019, 08:36 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

My Serious, Serious question to anyone saying there should be reparations paid.

Would you rather be here now... or in Africa dying of AIDs or working in a diamond mine, or being ethnically cleansed because you're just a little bit darker than the people next door?

Cause Russell Wilson wouldn't have even made it this far if he wasn't a descendant of slaves.

(06-28-2019, 08:28 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 05:10 PM)rollerjag Wrote: The ancient Egyptians enslaved Israelites. I'm pretty sure the word used for them was not a derivative of Slav.

What?

People like you are just so pathetically sad and guilt-ridden.

The bad guy is easily identified? Dude... according to whom? The British at the time? It was a practice done around the world especially in developing countries which the US very much was and the British very much weren't.

And yes, we are ALL descended from slaves you nitwit. All of us. And why is that any more irrelevant than Russell Wilson great great great great great grandparents?

because Russell Wilson was speaking in the context of the immigration issue.
Most of his ancestors definitely came here in chains.
if you need the relevance explained to you, it is likely that most of your ancestors did not.

(06-28-2019, 08:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: My Serious, Serious question to anyone saying there should be reparations paid.

Would you rather be here now... or in Africa dying of AIDs or working in a diamond mine, or being ethnically cleansed because you're just a little bit darker than the people next door?

Cause Russell Wilson wouldn't have even made it this far if he wasn't a descendant of slaves.

I don't know anybody in real life who thinks that paying reparations is possible or desirable.

Personally, I acknowledge that this country owes the descendants of slaves something.

At the very least, we should acknowledge how a lot of the intense economic development that happened in the Americas during the years 1500 to 1890, that we still enjoy the fruits of today, was on their uncompensated and abused backs. That's like morally the bare minimum. Acknowledge it and don't make excuses for it.

The next thing we can do is recognize that this gives our government, which aided and abetted this practice for so long, a duty to specially uplift communities of color. I think we can do that through certain color blind policies that are targeted at the poor in general.

(06-28-2019, 09:14 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 08:35 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: My Serious, Serious question to anyone saying there should be reparations paid.

I don't know anybody in real life who thinks that paying reparations is possible or desirable.

Personally, I acknowledge that this country owes the descendants of slaves something.

At the very least, we should acknowledge how a lot of the intense economic development that happened in the Americas during the years 1500 to 1890, that we still enjoy the fruits of today, was on their uncompensated and abused backs. That's like morally the bare minimum. Acknowledge it and don't make excuses for it.

The next thing we can do is recognize that this gives our government, which aided and abetted this practice for so long, a duty to specially uplift communities of color. I think we can do that through certain color blind policies that are targeted at the poor in general.

"Our" government aided and abetted it for about 70 years then spent 596,000 lives to end it. Debt paid, thanks.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-28-2019, 10:27 PM by mikesez.)

(06-28-2019, 10:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 09:14 PM)mikesez Wrote: I don't know anybody in real life who thinks that paying reparations is possible or desirable.

"Our" government aided and abetted it for about 70 years then spent 596,000 lives to end it. Debt paid, thanks.

"Our" government of loosely confederated state legislatures cooperated with the British monarchs for about 150 years prior to the 70 that you mention.

Then there are the approximately 100 years of de jure segregation and political terrorism that, while they weren't as bad as the slavery that came before, still lay a debt at our government's feet.

I'm walking distance from Ocoee, FL.  I know what happened there in 1920, against people who were allegedly freed 65 years prior, though many of my neighbors were never taught it.

I am so sick of this "we owe someone" and "you owe me" attitude. It's infecting this country like an STD. Responsibility is being tossed aside like last night's Chinese takeout and it's rotting just the same. People need to put on their big girl and big boy pants and get on with the business of life. Quit crying about what everyone else has and be thankful you have anything at all. And if you don't have anything it's nobody's fault but your own. And if, by some miracle, it might be someone else's fault, shut up and do something to change it. 

Bunch of simpering pansies. 

And no, we taxpayers owe no one anything related to something that happened many generations back. It sucks that happened, it really does, but no. We owe nothing.

(06-28-2019, 10:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I am so sick of this "we owe someone" and "you owe me" attitude. It's infecting this country like an STD. Responsibility is being tossed aside like last night's Chinese takeout and it's rotting just the same. People need to put on their big girl and big boy pants and get on with the business of life. Quit crying about what everyone else has and be thankful you have anything at all. And if you don't have anything it's nobody's fault but your own. And if, by some miracle, it might be someone else's fault, shut up and do something to change it. 

And no, we taxpayers owe no one anything related to something that happened many generations back. It sucks that happened, it really does, but no. We owe nothing.

What if "something" is community organizing and running for office?

(06-28-2019, 11:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 10:45 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I am so sick of this "we owe someone" and "you owe me" attitude. It's infecting this country like an STD. Responsibility is being tossed aside like last night's Chinese takeout and it's rotting just the same. People need to put on their big girl and big boy pants and get on with the business of life. Quit crying about what everyone else has and be thankful you have anything at all. And if you don't have anything it's nobody's fault but your own. And if, by some miracle, it might be someone else's fault, shut up and do something to change it. 

Have at it. Leave the past in the past or you'll destroy the future.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-28-2019, 09:14 PM)mikesez Wrote:

The idea of reparations is ridiculous. Reparations for African Americans should've been paid 150 years ago, but but since all those truly effected by slavery are all dead, the issue should be dead as well. Like I said, if any reparations are to be paid, it should be to Native Americans, currently living on reservations. No one else. Period.

(06-28-2019, 11:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:

When it comes to the issue of reparations for slavery, I've already said it. Do what you want but you're owed nothing. 

In life, if whatever is truly owed to you can be "paid" by community organizing and running for office then go for it. Not everything is about money or material goods. Sometimes it's about being or setting a positive example in the face of adversity.

Careful there. This is getting really close to, "You should be grateful your family were slaves."

(06-29-2019, 12:29 AM)TJBender Wrote:

Careful there. This is getting really close to, "You should be grateful your family were slaves."

I was thinking the same thing. Not a line one wants to cross.

(06-29-2019, 12:33 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 12:29 AM)TJBender Wrote: Careful there. This is getting really close to, "You should be grateful your family were slaves."

Maybe not but no one is forced to stay in this awful, wretched, terrible, hateful, racist country.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2019, 08:31 AM by Byron LeftTown.)

(06-29-2019, 12:33 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-29-2019, 12:29 AM)TJBender Wrote: Careful there. This is getting really close to, "You should be grateful your family were slaves."

Muhammad Ali had no problem crossing it:

“Thank God my granddaddy got on that boat.”

— 1974 response when asked for his impression of Africa