Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Linebacker talk

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2019, 12:29 AM by JagFanatic24.)

Myles Jack alone will atleast keep us up to par at this position. He is big enough and still Uber athletic enough to change the outcome of a game. 

Then there are guys like Jacobs who looks the part and can run like WR. The game is going to slow down for him in year 2. He is going to know all of his assignments and be able to to use his ability to take that next step. Could he possibly move to the middle? 

How about QDub. He’s already running with the 1’s. From what I’ve seen so far, he has a nice change of direction. He also has speed, and could be our fastest LB. He has really good hands for a LB and I think he will make a splash as a rookie. His time at Safety will help vs TE’s. He reminds me of Lonnie Marts.

That leaves Jake Ryan. Hopefully he comes back at full strength after his knee injury. He has started games, and offers stability. He was going to be the starter up in Green Bay until his knee injury. He should be a starter this season.

I still think we have one of the best LB groups in the NFL, with Williams being the wildcard. Jack is helping him with the plays so he can be ready. I can’t wait until the preseason starts just so I can watch him play.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The linebacker group is pretty solid in my eyes. I'm more concerned about the O-Line and defensive interior.

(06-30-2019, 12:41 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The linebacker group is pretty solid in my eyes. I'm more concerned about the O-Line and defensive interior.

The only concern I have about the oline and defensive interior is health.

Much like the overall offense, there is potential to be a decent group but time will tell. There is a good mix of speed and bulk. Telvin missing this year may be a positive in the end. It forces folks to step up and may even shore up the run stoppage a bit.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

The LB situation is a little shaky because the best option right now is apparently starting a rookie on the weak side.

I like the kid's potential and he's saying all the right things, but he's going to be tested intensely in week one by an offense that loves to mismatch TE's and receivers with linebackers. Then he'll see at least 5 more teams that employ that strategy effectively down the stretch. It will be no small feat for a rookie to come away from all of that without giving up some explosive plays. I'm pretty optimistic about Williams, but it's far from a sure thing that we won't see some big plays as a result of him making a few typical rookie mistakes.

The SAM spot will be used minimally versus many opponents and there are a handful of guys currently on the roster that should be adequate of better there. Camp and preseason will sort that out. My best guess is that it comes down to Jacobs and Ryan if Ryan can get close to 100% with this knee by preseason time.

Not concerned about Jack. All signs point to him becoming a more complete middle linebacker. As long as he is able to stay gap sound vs the run and help keep the rookie informed pre-snap, I expect we'll see good things from him this season.

(06-30-2019, 11:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The LB situation is a little shaky because the best option right now is apparently starting a rookie on the weak side.

I like the kid's potential and he's saying all the right things, but he's going to be tested intensely in week one by an offense that loves to mismatch TE's and receivers with linebackers. Then he'll see at least 5 more teams that employ that strategy effectively down the stretch.  It will be no small feat for a rookie to come away from all of that without giving up some explosive plays.  I'm pretty optimistic about Williams, but it's far from a sure thing that we won't see some big plays as a result of him making a few typical rookie mistakes.

The SAM spot will be used minimally versus many opponents and there are a handful of guys currently on the roster that should be adequate of better there.  Camp and preseason will sort that out. My best guess is that it comes down to Jacobs and Ryan if Ryan can get close to 100% with this knee by preseason time.

Not concerned about Jack. All signs point to him becoming a more complete middle linebacker. As long as he is able to stay gap sound vs the run and help keep the rookie informed pre-snap, I expect we'll see good things from him this season.

Yes I agree. I am really hoping Ryan comes back 100 percent. Knock on wood - we can’t afford to lose another backer. 

Jack should be close to an All Pro level along with Ramsey.

(06-30-2019, 01:48 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 11:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The LB situation is a little shaky because the best option right now is apparently starting a rookie on the weak side.

I like the kid's potential and he's saying all the right things, but he's going to be tested intensely in week one by an offense that loves to mismatch TE's and receivers with linebackers. Then he'll see at least 5 more teams that employ that strategy effectively down the stretch.  It will be no small feat for a rookie to come away from all of that without giving up some explosive plays.  I'm pretty optimistic about Williams, but it's far from a sure thing that we won't see some big plays as a result of him making a few typical rookie mistakes.

The SAM spot will be used minimally versus many opponents and there are a handful of guys currently on the roster that should be adequate of better there.  Camp and preseason will sort that out. My best guess is that it comes down to Jacobs and Ryan if Ryan can get close to 100% with this knee by preseason time.

Yes I agree. I am really hoping Ryan comes back 100 percent. Knock on wood - we can’t afford to lose another backer. 

Rolleyes Laughing

(06-30-2019, 10:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 01:48 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Yes I agree. I am really hoping Ryan comes back 100 percent. Knock on wood - we can’t afford to lose another backer. 

Rolleyes Laughing

Why are you laughing?

I still want to know without any doubt that Jack can tackle like a Bobby Wagner or Luke Kuechly.
'02

(06-30-2019, 11:50 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I still want to know without any doubt that Jack can tackle like a Bobby Wagner or Luke Kuechly.

Both miss some, Kuechly more than Wagner from what I’ve watched

He played some safety in college. I have a feeling his coverage skills will be better than Telvin’s at some point this season.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2019, 10:49 AM by RicoTx.)

(06-30-2019, 11:50 PM)Jags02 Wrote: I still want to know without any doubt that Jack can tackle like a Bobby Wagner or Luke Kuechly.

It's funny you're back on this again when citing the Derrick Henry run as why he 'can't tackle'.  You might want to take a look at that run again before you use that as any kind of example.  Jack had just run 80+ yards to try to catch Henry (after being held at around the 6, I might add) and barely got his hands on him at around the 20 yard line.  Jacobs and Bouye made pretty pitiful attempts.  I don't know why you would try to tackle this guy high.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

This too is my concerns in the middle. Jack doesn't make tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He doesn't react to the run fast enough.  His anticipation w/respect to the run defense was two steps slow in 2018. I pray that he's progressed and will have an better 2019. 

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

The "Jack can't tackle well" narrative is a puzzler. There's no basis for it.
Myles Jack is a very good tackler. He has nothing to prove there.
He simply needs to be more gap sound and get more savvy about being blocked out of run plays.

Jack is a tremendous athlete, and has his flashes. However, his run stopping skills as a middle LB need to improve in my eyes to be considered a good Mike.

(07-01-2019, 11:00 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Jack is a tremendous athlete, and has his flashes.  However, his run stopping skills as a middle LB need to improve in my eyes to be considered a good Mike.

I agree with this statement. 

(But it's not because he has a tackling issue.)

(06-30-2019, 10:59 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 10:24 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Rolleyes Laughing

Why are you laughing?

Don't feed it

(07-01-2019, 11:00 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Jack is a tremendous athlete, and has his flashes.  However, his run stopping skills as a middle LB need to improve in my eyes to be considered a good Mike.

I Concur.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I was with Jags02 for a few preseason games when Jack was a rookie. I thought he missed some key tackles. But once the season got rolling, he showed that he tackles just fine.

Everybody on defense on every team misses tackles. I don’t think it’s an issue with him though. He’s going to miss some here and there that’s just football.

(07-01-2019, 10:17 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I was with Jags02 for a few preseason games when Jack was a rookie. I thought he missed some key tackles. But once the season got rolling, he showed that he tackles just fine.

Everybody on defense on every team misses tackles. I don’t think it’s an issue with him though. He’s going to miss some here and there that’s just football.

His pre snap instincts w/respect to the run defense  has to improve tremendously to be an quality MLB.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"