Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft Day Steals...

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2019, 10:16 PM by NH3.)

We have two rookies listed within the top ten w/respect to this article. NOW, I cannot fathom how Jawan Taylor wasn't included but here's the thing. Did we just draft another Block Buster class?

Previously we drafted Ramsey, Jack and Yannick to which paid off Big Time. Did we do it again?

Time Will Tell.

What is/was our Best NFL Draft Class?

NH3...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843...nfl#slide1
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Early impressions are yes. We had a good haul.

Allen was supposed to go higher.
Taylor was supposed to be a first rounder.
Oliver has a chance to give us something in the passing game that Lewis just couldn’t.
Williams has talent on Myles Jack’s level. His coverage skills will be far more superior than Telvin Smith’s.

But one guy that I’m ready to see is Armstead. I’ve read where he “runs angry”
I like em hungry like that. I think he can offer a boost on Kickoff Returns also.

(07-01-2019, 10:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Early impressions are yes. We had a good haul.

Oliver has a chance to give us something in the passing game that Lewis just couldn’t.
Williams has talent on Myles Jack’s level. His coverage skills will be far more superior than Telvin Smith’s.

I like em hungry like that. I think he can offer a boost on Kickoff Returns also.

Adding to this, another good thing about Armstead is that there were reports out of his pro day that he was catching everything thrown to him as a receiver out of the backfield   --  which plays well into the Foles/Filip offense.

I do think this may be a blockbuster draft full of players who will be core players for several years to come.

Josh Allen perhaps should have been the first pick... Jawaan Taylor may very well be the best RT in the draft... Oliver has breakout potential with Foles at QB... Quincy Williams should start so he's got a shot to have a huge rookie season ... Armstead is sneaky good and may be just what we need behind Fournette.... and who knows, maybe our 7th round pick beats out a few vets at DT.

This could be one of those epic good drafts like the kind that propelled the 49ers, Steelers and Cowboys to greatness at one time.
'02

(07-02-2019, 12:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-01-2019, 10:31 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Early impressions are yes. We had a good haul.

Adding to this, another good thing about Armstead is that there were reports out of his pro day that he was catching everything thrown to him as a receiver out of the backfield   --  which plays well into the Foles/Filip offense.

I love a back with soft hands. We were killing the Patriots with Grant during that playoff game in 2017. 

If the WRs are struggling, it’s nice to get a RB on a LB and get that mismatch.

Good to hear.

(07-02-2019, 12:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I do believe that Armstead's  catching abilities was an major reasoning to which we drafted him. Yes, he has an tude (attitude) when running and will be an excellent backup for LF27. I too am eager to see him in action.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(07-02-2019, 04:36 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 12:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Adding to this, another good thing about Armstead is that there were reports out of his pro day that he was catching everything thrown to him as a receiver out of the backfield   --  which plays well into the Foles/Filip offense.
I do believe that Armstead's  catching abilities was an major reasoning to which we drafted him. Yes, he has an tude (attitude) when running and will be an excellent backup for LF27. I too am eager to see him in action.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

He was definitely not on the shortlist of "receiving backs" in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft for most folks.
Largely because he was not used that way in college. 

Nonetheless, the reports of him showing off his hands at his pro-day may have been a factor in the Jags' front office selecting him. Who knows?  
I just hope he gets lots of reps in camp catching the ball in this system.

(07-02-2019, 04:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 04:36 PM)NH3 Wrote: I do believe that Armstead's  catching abilities was an major reasoning to which we drafted him. Yes, he has an tude (attitude) when running and will be an excellent backup for LF27. I too am eager to see him in action.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

He was definitely not on the shortlist of "receiving backs" in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft for most folks.

Nonetheless, the reports of him showing off his hands at his pro-day may have been a factor in the Jags' front office selecting him. Who knows?  
He better.  Who else is back there now that we let Grant and TJ go.  I know we have other teams throwaways but he better.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-02-2019, 04:58 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 04:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: He was definitely not on the shortlist of "receiving backs" in the mid-to-late rounds of the draft for most folks.

He better.  Who else is back there now that we let Grant and TJ go.  I know we have other teams throwaways but he better.

Fournette and Cunningham both have good hands.  Armstead apparently does as well, but I haven't really seen it myself so, we'll see how that develops.

To answer the question of what were the team's best drafts:

Believe it or not, top to bottom, probably 2009 (Smith's first): Monroe, Britton, Knighton, Cox, Thomas, Dillard, Z. Miller, Jennings, Underwood. All those players had substantial careers, with Jennings and Miller having great success on teams not named Jacksonville Jaguars. Dillard had the earliest exit from the NFL, due to injury.

Best topheavy drafts: 1995 with Boselli, Stewart, DeMarco, Schwartz, Hudson, Johnson. 1996 had Hardy, Brackens, Cheever, Beasley - all really good players.

Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonvil...ft_history

Lol at 2009 draft.

My top 5 would be something like this -

98 was the best draft in my eyes with Taylor and Darius in the first round. 2 studs for a long time. Plus we got Tavian Banks who could have been so awesome but that injury in Atlanta ended his career.

2016 with Ramsey Jack Yannick

1996 with Hardy, Brackens, Beasley, and Barlow. I remember Chris Doering was a beast at Florida and we picked him in the 6th round but he didn’t make it.

1995 Boselli, James Stewart, Hudson and Rob Johnson who gave us a chance to get Freddy T in 98.

And 2012 would have to be in my top 5 because the only player I wanted us to draft was Justin Blackmon. I remember when they called his name, I was like FINALLY we drafted a good WR. Sucks that he wasn’t able to have a long career.

Best drafts:

1. 2016- Ramsay, Jack and Yannick-
2. 1995- Because Rob Johnson became Fred Taylor, plus Boselli.
3. 1996- Brackens, Hardy, Beasley and Barlow.

(07-02-2019, 07:00 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Best drafts:

No 1998? 
With Fred and Darius

(07-02-2019, 12:13 AM)Jags02 Wrote: I do think this may be a blockbuster draft full of players who will be core players for several years to come.

Josh Allen perhaps should have been the first pick... Jawaan Taylor may very well be the best RT in the draft... Oliver has breakout potential with Foles at QB... Quincy Williams should start so he's got a shot to have a huge rookie season ... Armstead is sneaky good and may be just what we need behind Fournette.... and who knows, maybe our 7th round pick beats out a few vets at DT.

This could be one of those epic good drafts like the kind that propelled the 49ers, Steelers and Cowboys to greatness at one time.

I too am intrigued by the possibilities of Russell seriously contributing to our 2019 season and beyond.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Acknowledged that 2016 was a good draft, and gonna give some love to the depth on the 2014 draft:

Bortles (got us to the AFC championship)
Lee (always injured, but there's still hope)
A. Robinson
LInder
Colvin
Telvin Smith
Bowanko (depth)

(07-02-2019, 07:53 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Acknowledged that 2016 was a good draft, and gonna give some love to the depth on the 2014 draft:

Bortles (got us to the AFC championship)
Lee (always injured, but there's still hope)
A. Robinson
LInder
Colvin
Telvin Smith
Bowanko (depth)

Only Linder and Lee remain... and Lee could be on the bubble.

(07-02-2019, 08:27 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Only Linder and Lee remain... and Lee could be on the bubble.

Colvin, Bowanko, and Robinson are still in the league, though, which is pretty good for 5 years out from a draft.  Telvin Smith is an absolute baller, just going through a tough time.  Robinson was actually a cap casualty.  6 pretty good players plus whatever the hell Bortles really is.  Not bad for a draft.

(07-02-2019, 07:03 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 07:00 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Best drafts:

No 1998? 
With Fred and Darius

I'd rate that below my top 3. Obviously, Fred was a great pick and one of the top 3 Jags ever. Darius was good, but not great. His cover skills were just so-so. Cordell Taylor was one of the worst picks ever for this team; he was a total bust kept around for too long due to being such a high pick. If Banks didn't get hurt, he would have put this class higher. 

I am excited about the potential of this year's draft class. I'd be shocked if Allen and Taylor don't become very good NFL players very soon. Taylor could turn out to be the steal of the entire draft if he remains healthy and in shape. The wild-cards are Armstead and Williams. Hopefully we won't see too much of Armstead right away since that would mean Fournette got hurt again, but he should become a solid back-up this season and eventually can become the starter. If he turns out as good as Stacey Mack, our other Temple back who was a solid pro, I'd be quite happy. Williams could turn out to be a fan favorite due to his aggressive style of play and small-school status. I just worry about him getting hurt due to the impact of his tackling style.

(07-02-2019, 05:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 04:58 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: He better.  Who else is back there now that we let Grant and TJ go.  I know we have other teams throwaways but he better.

Fournette and Cunningham both have good hands.  Armstead apparently does as well, but I haven't really seen it myself so, we'll see how that develops.

Don't forget that Alfred Blue has great hands as well. He was the primary 3rd downs back in Houston.
'02

(07-02-2019, 10:19 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 07:03 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: No 1998? 
With Fred and Darius

I'd rate that below my top 3. Obviously, Fred was a great pick and one of the top 3 Jags ever. Darius was good, but not great. His cover skills were just so-so. Cordell Taylor was one of the worst picks ever for this team; he was a total bust kept around for too long due to being such a high pick. If Banks didn't get hurt, he would have put this class higher. 

I am excited about the potential of this year's draft class. I'd be shocked if Allen and Taylor don't become very good NFL players very soon. Taylor could turn out to be the steal of the entire draft if he remains healthy and in shape. The wild-cards are Armstead and Williams. Hopefully we won't see too much of Armstead right away since that would mean Fournette got hurt again, but he should become a solid back-up this season and eventually can become the starter. If he turns out as good as Stacey Mack, our other Temple back who was a solid pro, I'd be quite happy. Williams could turn out to be a fan favorite due to his aggressive style of play and small-school status. I just worry about him getting hurt due to the impact of his tackling style.

I disagree wholeheartedly that Darius was merely good and not great. So what if he wasn't the best cover guy even though he started getting INTs right and left after using a Juggs machine to practice catching. Darius was a tremendous playmaker and one of the better tackling Safeties in league history even though he rarely gets the credit. The Jaguars knew the better franchise him in back-to-back seasons. 
'02