Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colin Kaepernick Forces Nike To Cancel ‘Betsy Ross Flag’ Sneaker

(07-08-2019, 02:54 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'd be too ashamed to be seen using my nike clubs out on the course. Imagine using a club with the logo of a company who nixxed a line of shoes with a flag on it because they wanted to make more money, I could never!

You’re trying too hard.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This was a disgusting stunt by Nike. If Kaepernick is Nike's arbiter of racist symbols and slogans, why didn't they ask him about it beforehand?
Why announce that you have created these racist shoes and that you are not going to sell them because they are racist?
Because it's an issue created solely by media and intended to further divide us.

(07-08-2019, 02:54 AM)JackCity Wrote: I'd be too ashamed to be seen using my nike clubs out on the course. Imagine using a club with the logo of a company who nixxed a line of shoes with a flag on it because they wanted to make more money, I could never!

Nike doesn't make clubs anymore and hasn't in years. If you have a set of Nike clubs, its probably time to upgrade.

(07-08-2019, 07:56 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: This was a disgusting stunt by Nike.  If Kaepernick is Nike's arbiter of racist symbols and slogans, why didn't they ask him about it beforehand?  
Why announce that you have created these racist shoes and that you are not going to sell them because they are racist?
Because it's an issue created solely by media and intended to further divide us.

No no, it was a money-making stunt by Nike. I’m not exactly sure how they make money from this, but that’s the narrative used to paint those who are offended as triggered snow flakes. You need to keep up.

(07-08-2019, 08:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 07:56 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: This was a disgusting stunt by Nike.  If Kaepernick is Nike's arbiter of racist symbols and slogans, why didn't they ask him about it beforehand?  

No no, it was a money-making stunt by Nike. I’m not exactly sure how they make money from this, but that’s the narrative used to paint those who are offended as triggered snow flakes. You need to keep up.

Campaign marketed towards American hating millennials who still rely on their parents for food, shelter, and.... shoes.

Don't blame Nike. Blame their parents for a poor upbringing.

(07-08-2019, 08:04 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

Nike doesn't make clubs anymore and hasn't in years. If you have a set of Nike clubs, its probably time to upgrade.

The only reason to replace a perfectly good golf club is if you've ruined it fighting zombies.

(07-08-2019, 08:48 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 08:04 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Nike doesn't make clubs anymore and hasn't in years. If you have a set of Nike clubs, its probably time to upgrade.

The only reason to replace a perfectly good golf club is if you've ruined it fighting zombies.

If they were good clubs, they would still be made. The clubs made for Tiger were not consumer grade and his brand can only carry an equipment manufacturer so far.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019, 09:51 AM by homebiscuit.)

(07-08-2019, 08:49 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 08:48 AM)TJBender Wrote: The only reason to replace a perfectly good golf club is if you've ruined it fighting zombies.

If they were good clubs, they would still be made. The clubs made for Tiger were not consumer grade and his brand can only carry an equipment manufacturer so far.

I’ll have to disagree with you there. The set of Nike clubs I had were one of the best sets I’ve owned until they were stolen, which I still mourn. Nike got out of the golf hardware business because there is simply too much competition against focused golf hardware manufacturers. They were losing money trying to compete against the likes of Calloway, Titleist, and Taylormade. Especially at a time when overall golf sales, and Tiger, were slumping. Golf shoes and apparel is their thing now.

(07-08-2019, 09:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 08:49 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: If they were good clubs, they would still be made. The clubs made for Tiger were not consumer grade and his brand can only carry an equipment manufacturer so far.

I’ll have to disagree with you there. The set of Nike clubs I had were one of the best sets I’ve owned until they were stolen, which I still mourn. Nike got out of the golf hardware business because there is simply too much competition against focused golf hardware manufacturers. They were losing money trying to compete against the likes of Calloway, Titleist, and Taylormade. Especially at a time when overall golf sales, and Tiger, were slumping. Golf shoes and apparel is their thing now.

What set of clubs are you using now?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-08-2019, 10:02 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 09:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ll have to disagree with you there. The set of Nike clubs I had were one of the best sets I’ve owned until they were stolen, which I still mourn. Nike got out of the golf hardware business because there is simply too much competition against focused golf hardware manufacturers. They were losing money trying to compete against the likes of Calloway, Titleist, and Taylormade. Especially at a time when overall golf sales, and Tiger, were slumping. Golf shoes and apparel is their thing now.

What set of clubs are you using now?

TaylorMade Aeroburner HL (high launch) irons. It’s not my ideal choice, but they were free. After my Nikes were stolen I bought a set of inexpensive Adams irons and was pleasantly surprised at their value. However, I passed those off to my son, who was just starting to play and got the TaylorMades with hotel points. A good set of clubs, no doubt, but I got more distance with the Nikes.

I never understood the sneaker culture to begin with. I suspected it was a hoax 'way back in 1965 when my P.F. Flyers failed to make me fly.

(07-08-2019, 08:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Massive amounts of free advertising + it's brand brand being seen as socially conscious (which is a lie of course) + a shoe which probably wouldn't sell too well with its core consumers as is (not many 18-25 year olds are gonna wear shoes with a flag on it).  

Nike only cares about what makes more money and what doesn't. If linking with Kap and nixxing the shoes didn't make them more money in the long term or short term they wouldn't be pursuing it.

And yes being offended by it is certainly worth using the word triggered. Can't have it both ways

(07-08-2019, 12:03 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 08:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: No no, it was a money-making stunt by Nike. I’m not exactly sure how they make money from this, but that’s the narrative used to paint those who are offended as triggered snow flakes. You need to keep up.

Massive amounts of free advertising + it's brand brand being seen as socially conscious (which is a lie of course) + a shoe which probably wouldn't sell too well with its core consumers as is (not many 18-25 year olds are gonna wear shoes with a flag on it).  

Nike only cares about what makes more money and what doesn't. If linking with Kap and nixxing the shoes didn't make them more money in the long term or short term they wouldn't be pursuing it.

And yes being offended by it is certainly worth using the word triggered. Can't have it both ways

I agree. Most of the old heads griping about all of this more than likely buy New Balance shoes. 

[Image: 1-1-e1494329040704.jpg]

[Image: yttpwj76wnu01.jpg]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

EWWWWWW

Delete the image of those Dad shoes!

(07-08-2019, 12:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: EWWWWWW

Delete the image of those Dad shoes!

[Image: thumb_the-owner-of-new-balance-donated-4...837821.png]

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019, 01:16 PM by homebiscuit.)

(07-08-2019, 12:03 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 08:18 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: No no, it was a money-making stunt by Nike. I’m not exactly sure how they make money from this, but that’s the narrative used to paint those who are offended as triggered snow flakes. You need to keep up.

I question a marketing strategy which risks alienating more customers than it attracts. We’ll see.

(07-08-2019, 12:11 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 12:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: Massive amounts of free advertising + it's brand brand being seen as socially conscious (which is a lie of course) + a shoe which probably wouldn't sell too well with its core consumers as is (not many 18-25 year olds are gonna wear shoes with a flag on it).  

I agree. Most of the old heads griping about all of this more than likely buy New Balance shoes. 

Nope. As much as I like Nike products, I’ve always thought their shoes sucked. Asics for running, and in general, for this griping old head. Footjoys for golf.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019, 01:32 PM by Caldrac.)

(07-08-2019, 01:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 12:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: Massive amounts of free advertising + it's brand brand being seen as socially conscious (which is a lie of course) + a shoe which probably wouldn't sell too well with its core consumers as is (not many 18-25 year olds are gonna wear shoes with a flag on it).  

I question a marketing strategy which risks alienating more customers than it attracts. We’ll see.

(07-08-2019, 12:11 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I agree. Most of the old heads griping about all of this more than likely buy New Balance shoes. 

Nope. As much as I like Nike products, I’ve always thought their shoes sucked. Asics for running, and in general, for this griping old head. Footjoys for golf.

I had a few pair of Nike's growing up but grew out of them over the years. When you move out and start living on your own in your early 20's you start to prioritize more important [BLEEP] other than shoes, such as food, water & electric. I honestly wear mostly sandals these days year round. And it's usually the Under Armour brand getting some of my money. I like some of their running shoes. 

I admittedly mow my lawn in an old pair of New Balances though. No shame in my game.

(07-08-2019, 01:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 01:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I question a marketing strategy which risks alienating more customers than it attracts. We’ll see.

I had a few pair of Nike's growing up but grew out of them over the years. When you move out and start living on your own in your early 20's you start to prioritize more important [BLEEP] other than shoes, such as food, water & electric. I honestly wear mostly sandals these days year round. And it's usually the Under Armour brand getting some of my money. I like some of their running shoes. 

I admittedly mow my lawn in an old pair of New Balances though. No shame in my game.

Mowing shoes are exempt from style judgement.

(07-08-2019, 01:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

(07-08-2019, 12:11 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I agree. Most of the old heads griping about all of this more than likely buy New Balance shoes. 

The Nike cleats are great but yeah running shoes are a no go for me too. Ascis or new balance all the way

(07-08-2019, 02:01 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 01:31 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I had a few pair of Nike's growing up but grew out of them over the years. When you move out and start living on your own in your early 20's you start to prioritize more important [BLEEP] other than shoes, such as food, water & electric. I honestly wear mostly sandals these days year round. And it's usually the Under Armour brand getting some of my money. I like some of their running shoes. 

Mowing shoes are exempt from style judgement.

I mow in the most beautiful and stylish shoes ever made: Crocs.   Can't seem to destroy them no matter what.