Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com puts us back in the playoffs

(07-08-2019, 11:12 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 08:13 AM)DragonFury Wrote: Limited window is how we traded away nearly an entire draft and ended up with Derrick harvey and Quentin Groves.

I don't think 2008 was based on a limited window. I think that was just bad decision making in the front office at that time compounded by desperation. James Harris watched Tom Brady and the perfect Patriots (17-0 going into that game) pick his team apart in that AFC Championship game when he went 26 out of 28 and was barely flustered in the pocket. I think we managed one paltry sack in that game. 

That season in 2008 also had the team reeling very early with a depleted offensive line devoid of any talent where they were left scrambling for street free agents at more than one position I believe throughout the year. It's hard to fault Harris for swinging for the fences with Harvey and Groves during that draft. We were going into 2008 with Paul Spicer being the team's sack leader with 7.5 just previously in 2007. We were absolutely horrible at getting after the QB. 

Had Harris relaxed on his decision making and not traded up he could have very well landed Calais Campbell towards the bottom of RD1 and Cliff Avril in RD2 by, again, relaxing and letting the value fall into his lap. Getting that close and only being able to circle back to a clear cut lack of pass rush all year was the only short window the front office was guilty of having going into 2008. They weren't able to predict the offensive line falling apart at the seams.

I don't blame Shack for going after pass rushers, but I do blame him for a lack of talent evaluation. Those guys sucked.

With hindsight, what we should have done is stayed put in round one and drafted Duante Brown to take over for Khalif Barnes, or else Antoine Cason because we only had one decent CB and he was old. Then in round two trade up just a few spots and take Calais Campbell. 
'02

Messages In This Thread
NFL.com puts us back in the playoffs - by Caldrac - 07-04-2019, 11:54 AM
RE: NFL.com puts us back in the playoffs - by NH3 - 07-05-2019, 01:23 AM
RE: NFL.com puts us back in the playoffs - by NH3 - 07-06-2019, 05:45 PM
RE: NFL.com puts us back in the playoffs - by Jags02 - 07-08-2019, 11:56 AM
RE: NFL.com puts us back in the playoffs - by NH3 - 07-08-2019, 07:29 AM