Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Fournette: Jaguars' 2018 season 'humbled a lot of us'

Fournette: Jaguars' 2018 season 'humbled a lot of us'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...-lot-of-us

According to Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette, who struggled in 2018 to regain his form from Jacksonville's division-winning campaign, the 2019 Jags have a different mentality this year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good. I think 2017 had too many of these guys on cloud 9. I hope they all get their minds right and be ready to play in 2019.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

He's always talked a good game, we'll see if he's serious in about 6 weeks.

I wonder how much of the decline in his yards per carry, and the offense in general, can be attributed to the fact that we lost about 12 offensive linemen to injury last year.

It's like nobody remembers this. Columnists, fans, no one, seems to remember we lost almost our whole offensive line last year plus multiple backups. By the end of the season, we were signing guys off the street and starting them. Folks, that's the difference between 10-6 and a deep playoff run and 5-11. That's it. That's the whole story as far as I'm concerned.

And people keep saying stuff like, "I hope our offensive line can play better this year." Well, DUH. We're getting 4 starting offensive linemen back. And multiple backups. Of course our offensive line will play better.

(07-27-2019, 07:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I wonder how much of the decline in his yards per carry, and the offense in general, can be attributed to the fact that we lost about 12 offensive linemen to injury last year.  

It's like nobody remembers this.  Columnists, fans, no one, seems to remember we lost almost our whole offensive line last year plus multiple backups.  By the end of the season, we were signing guys off the street and starting them.  Folks, that's the difference between 10-6 and a deep playoff run and 5-11.  That's it.  That's the whole story as far as I'm concerned.  

And people keep saying stuff like, "I hope our offensive line can play better this year."  Well, DUH.  We're getting 4 starting offensive linemen back.  And multiple backups.  Of course our offensive line will play better.

I remember.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2019, 08:58 PM by JagFan81.)

(07-27-2019, 07:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I wonder how much of the decline in his yards per carry, and the offense in general, can be attributed to the fact that we lost about 12 offensive linemen to injury last year.  

It's like nobody remembers this.  Columnists, fans, no one, seems to remember we lost almost our whole offensive line last year plus multiple backups.  By the end of the season, we were signing guys off the street and starting them.  Folks, that's the difference between 10-6 and a deep playoff run and 5-11.  That's it.  That's the whole story as far as I'm concerned.  

And people keep saying stuff like, "I hope our offensive line can play better this year."  Well, DUH.  We're getting 4 starting offensive linemen back.  And multiple backups.  Of course our offensive line will play better.

You are right, the O line problems were the source of a lot of the O problems. Bortles went back to bad Bortles but he had no time and had no faith in the line. Fournette couldn't get any running lanes let alone second level blocking. 

But, while I think this team is closer to 2017 than 2018, the O line wasn't the only problem. We could not get off the field on 3rd down. So many drives extended due to blown coverages and dumb penalties. We struggled with zone coverage at LB all season, especially @ Dallas. We struggled with QB pressures due to receivers getting open. Cole fell off a cliff, There was a lot of jawing between players, Fournette fighting, Fournette and Yeldon laughing on the bench.

Now yes, the O problems made the D need to basically give up 0, stop them all day and then score enough points for us to win. I think a lot of the problems that came later were due to us being out of it and we can fix but the players need to be focused and realise we dont just show up and win.

We aren't that team.....yet.

I don't think Jalen got much of the humble stuff.

Just sayin'...
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

True but that doesn't negate the fact that they came into last season with way too much swagger and not enough vision for the new season. The saying goes, "any given Sunday." Well you can also word that as, "any given season." Every team starts the new season at 0-0.

(07-27-2019, 11:07 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

True but that doesn't negate the fact that they came into last season with way too much swagger and not enough vision for the new season. The saying goes, "any given Sunday." Well you can also word that as, "any given season." Every team starts the new season at 0-0.

They went 3-1 to start the season before the injuries continued to pile up.

The team had it's faults for sure, but when you lose nearly half of your roster to IR, the team is going to struggle greatly regardless.

We discussed the oline injuries here (national media doesnt but no surprise) but ppl would always turn around and point "even his rookie year he didnt have 4 ypc wahhh 3nette" as if a .1 difference is some astronomical difference. Besides the oline, fournette gets used a lot in short yardage, 3rd and 1, goal to go from the 2 etc. Given the deployment in those situations (which hes very good at!) Its going to tank your ypc if the most yards you can get on the play is one (curse that peaky endzone that stops him from getting more yards)

People follow what numbers tell them and not what hapoens on the field
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(07-28-2019, 12:11 PM)Firesky Wrote: We discussed the oline injuries here (national media doesnt but no surprise) but ppl would always turn around and point "even his rookie year he didnt have 4 ypc wahhh 3nette" as if a .1 difference is some astronomical difference. Besides the oline, fournette gets used a lot in short yardage, 3rd and 1, goal to go from the 2 etc. Given the deployment in those situations (which hes very good at!) Its going to tank your ypc if the most yards you can get on the play is one (curse that peaky endzone that stops him from getting more yards)

People follow what numbers tell them and not what hapoens on the field
He didn't tank his ypc because of 3rd and 1 runs. You could say it's too high because of all the 1st and 10 runs, see it makes no sense.

He isn't good without an OL opening huge holes, so ofcourse he regresses when the Jags OL is banged up last year. He will improve because the OL will be better. We will have to see if he improves enough to find smaller holes or create them himself. If he doesn't, he isn't worth extending and picking up the 5th year option.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(07-27-2019, 11:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(07-27-2019, 11:07 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: True but that doesn't negate the fact that they came into last season with way too much swagger and not enough vision for the new season. The saying goes, "any given Sunday." Well you can also word that as, "any given season." Every team starts the new season at 0-0.

They went 3-1 to start the season before the injuries continued to pile up.

The team had it's faults for sure, but when you lose nearly half of your roster to IR, the team is going to struggle greatly regardless.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out what Fournette and other players have said while knowing the condition of the o-line. They were cocky and got beat. Ramsey was consistently getting beat in some of the games and him talking smack made it look worse.

Our defense is still elite. Losing Telvin will hurt but QW will make some plays this year.

I need a WR to step up and be that guy.

2 words....Blame Blake
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

I wonder if taking a lose to New England would have changed our fortunes last year? Probably not but could have humbled the team a bit faster.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(07-29-2019, 03:22 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I wonder if taking a lose to New England would have changed our fortunes last year?  Probably not but could have humbled the team a bit faster.

I don't want a humble team.  I want a winning team.  The only thing a loss to the Pats would have accomplished would have been to make us 4-12 instead of 5-11.  

Losing to New England wouldn't have prevented us from losing almost all our starting offensive linemen and almost all of their backups.  Losing to New England wouldn't have made Blake Bortles a better QB, either.

The media was oh too happy to start piping out I told you so articles about the teams boisterous style. The facts would only get in the way. It's no coincidence that thru week 4 the team looked like they were picking up right where they left off. You are correct in saying that losing an entire unit might have a huge effect on the W/L column however it didn't stop there. Don't forget that several running backs went down as well, including the bell cow. The cumulative affect of these injuries on a team that was built to run and hide a mediocre qb cannot be understated. The team actually stuck with and paid Blake handsomely bcuz they were counting on those pieces to be there for him to continue to just manage the offense. They knew he was not the one to put the team on his shoulders. The only thing that last year proved once and for all is that the team won inspite of Blake and not because of him the year prior.

I can only speak for myself, I remember... It was a tough season for us last year, and we still had what, 6 games end within 1 score? This team is loaded with talent and we have a top 15 QB now. If we can stay even slightly more healthy on the O line, I like our chances to hit 9+ wins this year. We almost did that last year with a banged up squad. If we avoid a major injury big, we should compete for a division title.