Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan and City Reach Deal on Lot J

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2019, 11:33 PM by Bullseye.)

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/7/31/...9bF4nQ5HvM

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/201907...pment-deal

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

From my point of view this looks amazing, as a Brit our sports owners would never do anything along this lines.

What are the thoughts of the guys in Jacksonville? I ask because I mentioned it to my grandfather who lived in Jacksonville for 20 years in regards to the dockland area and he wasn’t overly impressed.

(08-01-2019, 04:24 AM)Dockerill91 Wrote: From my point of view this looks amazing, as a Brit our sports owners would never do anything along this lines.

What are the thoughts of the guys in Jacksonville? I ask because I mentioned it to my grandfather who lived in Jacksonville for 20 years in regards to the dockland area and he wasn’t overly impressed.

It seems as if the pictures and renderings of renovations to downtown Jax have almost always been more impressive than the finished product. Lot J is one thing but the renovation of the docks has been discussed since I got here in the early 80s and probably before that. My general thought best described as "cautious optimism".

But how long ago did your grandfather live here?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-01-2019, 07:07 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 04:24 AM)Dockerill91 Wrote: From my point of view this looks amazing, as a Brit our sports owners would never do anything along this lines.

It seems as if the pictures and renderings of renovations to downtown Jax have almost always been more impressive than the finished product. Lot J is one thing but the renovation of the docks has been discussed since I got here in the early 80s and probably before that. My general thought best described as "cautious optimism".

Pretty much this.  It looks great on paper, and they seem to have it ready to go.  The last 3 renderings of the shipyards looked beautiful as well.  This one looks like if will make it to grounbreaking, so I am cautiously optimistic.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Glad this is moving along.

I'm a big proponent of revitalizing downtown.

I just hope the good people of Jacksonville will make the effort to support some of these new attractions. We all have a tendency to stay safely in our suburban bubble too frequently in my opinion.
Outside of the football season, I'm only downtown spending money maybe 6 or 7 times a year. We'll need lots of folks doing that and more to support a vibrant downtown.

He passed away last year so pretty recently the 20 years prior to that. It actually sparked a pretty funny conversation when I said what Shad was doing to the dockland to which his reply was ‘he’s doing nothing to stop the libraries shutting though’..clearly of that negative generation as if a football owner is responsible for public reading!

I only learnt a couple of years ago that he actually didn’t like the NFL and I only picked the Jags because of him. So long story short, I could of picked any team I wanted, but now I’m stuck with constant heartbreak and can’t change!

(08-01-2019, 08:36 AM)Dockerill91 Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 07:07 AM)hb1148 Wrote: It seems as if the pictures and renderings of renovations to downtown Jax have almost always been more impressive than the finished product. Lot J is one thing but the renovation of the docks has been discussed since I got here in the early 80s and probably before that. My general thought best described as "cautious optimism".

He passed away last year so pretty recently the 20 years prior to that. It actually sparked a pretty funny conversation when I said what Shad was doing to the dockland to which his reply was ‘he’s doing nothing to stop the libraries shutting though’..clearly of that negative generation as if a football owner is responsible for public reading!

I only learnt a couple of years ago that he actually didn’t like the NFL and I only picked the Jags because of him. So long story short, I could of picked any team I wanted, but now I’m stuck with constant heartbreak and can’t change!

You could have been a Patriots fan. Now look at you.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019, 08:58 AM by Dockerill91.)

(08-01-2019, 08:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 08:36 AM)Dockerill91 Wrote: He passed away last year so pretty recently the 20 years prior to that. It actually sparked a pretty funny conversation when I said what Shad was doing to the dockland to which his reply was ‘he’s doing nothing to stop the libraries shutting though’..clearly of that negative generation as if a football owner is responsible for public reading!

You could have been a Patriots fan. Now look at you.

Where would the fun in that be. I think deep down I’m a masochist all my sports teams let me down! 

But there’s a saying over here in football (soccer). ‘You don’t give up on your team, you let your team give up on you’

(08-01-2019, 08:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Glad this is moving along.

I just hope the good people of Jacksonville will make the effort to support some of these new attractions.  We all have a tendency to stay safely in our suburban bubble too frequently in my opinion.
Outside of the football season, I'm only downtown spending money maybe 6 or 7 times a year.  We'll need lots of folks doing that and more to support a vibrant downtown.

Burn down FBC if you want that.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2019, 09:42 AM by Bullseye.)

Revitalizing downtown is long past due, and building up the area surrounding the stadium seems a no brainer.

I expect a lot of grousing from some, especially from the Fla-Ga game people who will have less room to tailgate.  The new arena is a curious decision, considering we just built an arena not too long ago-two if you count Daily's place.

Getting Lot J approved and completed is important on many levels, now that the Landing is offically gone.

"Cautious optimism" is a good way to put it.

This should be a good start to revitalizing downtown.

(08-01-2019, 08:01 AM)FBT Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 07:07 AM)hb1148 Wrote: It seems as if the pictures and renderings of renovations to downtown Jax have almost always been more impressive than the finished product. Lot J is one thing but the renovation of the docks has been discussed since I got here in the early 80s and probably before that. My general thought best described as "cautious optimism".

Pretty much this.  It looks great on paper, and they seem to have it ready to go.  The last 3 renderings of the shipyards looked beautiful as well.  This one looks like if will make it to grounbreaking, so I am cautiously optimistic.

Maybe because the "novelty" of revitalizing downtown is gone, but these plans seem less grand than the initial Shipyards renderings Khan released a few years back. 

Daily's place, while a good facility, is more modest than initially proposed.

Based on the reports I saw, it'll take about three years to complete it all.  I would love to see the finished products, and how they will deal with gameday parking and the fair (hopefully they move the fair).

I just hope the good people of Jacksonville will make the effort to support some of these new attractions.  We all have a tendency to stay safely in our suburban bubble too frequently in my opinion.
Outside of the football season, I'm only downtown spending money maybe 6 or 7 times a year.  We'll need lots of folks doing that and more to support a vibrant downtown.

I remember when the Landing first opened.

With the higher end stores and good nightspots, it drew a lot of people. But with few apartments/residences downtown, with few parking spaces, high rents, and no attractions to draw and keep people downtown, it failed over time.

If done properly, it would address a desire for viable nightspots, eateries, etc.

Hopefully, all involved learned from the Landing's failures.

It also tells me that the future of football in Jacksonville will remain at the current site and will focus further on refurbishing the current stadium rather than scrapping it altogether and building another one elsewhere.

(08-01-2019, 09:17 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

I remember reading an article years ago about the zoning laws here, promoted mostly by the churches, that restricts businesses from selling alcohol within 1500 feet of a church.  In that article, similar zoning restrictions in places that experienced successful downtown revitalization were only 700 feet.  If you've ever been in downtown Jacksonville, you'd know there are plenty of churches, especially First Baptist Church, which owns so much land downtown, when you consider the restrictions, stopped a lot of development downtown.

I do not drink, but I realize alcohol sales-especially in restaurants-helps to draw people.

I think an advantage to developing Lot J is it seems to be situated far enough away from churches to be able to open those establishments even with the current restrictions.

(08-01-2019, 10:16 AM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/ChrisHongTU/status/1...55360?s=20

If the city would agree to this, why could they not come up with the $35 million or so needed for Shipyards cleanup?

The Shipyards could be fully (or at least mostly) developed by now.

(08-01-2019, 09:17 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Sadly they continue to be a giant thorn in the side of downtown development.

They need to make sure they have tenants for those big buildings they want to build before building. Then make sure they have enough residents and parking/transportation for people to get there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(08-01-2019, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 09:17 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Burn down FBC if you want that.

Sadly they continue to be a giant thorn in the side of downtown development.

Makes me sad... I want downtown to flourish.

Springfield looks damned amazing nowadays though, I'll say that.

(08-01-2019, 11:39 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sadly they continue to be a giant thorn in the side of downtown development.

Makes me sad... I want downtown to flourish.

Springfield looks damned amazing nowadays though, I'll say that.
I remember driving through the Springfield area, on Union Street thirty years ago.  It was pretty depressing, although I do think that's about the tie they started with the Ritz Theatre renovations.

The fact that more homes and apartments are being built downtown bodes well for retail in that area being able to thrive. Excited about the Laura Street Trio= thank God someone preserved those wonderful old buildings.  I also want to see what's happening with The District.  I know the city and developers have signed off on that deal. Any shovels in the ground yet>

Downtown Jacksonville has so much potential. I've lived/worked in Atlanta, Nashville, and Baltimore. You simply can not beat the views of the St. Johns River--or the potential for recreation.  But I'm a bit biased.

Never fear, Shad Khan is taking care of you too.

London’s Craven Cottage To See £100 Million Renovation

https://celebrityaccess.com/2019/05/24/l...enovation/

[Image: fulham-988x416.jpg]