Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chip away at 1A?

Up for consideration, yet again is a bill floating around that could fine you up to $15k per offense for something as innocent as sharing a meme on the internet. Is this more chipping away at the 1st Amendment and to what end? What is this honestly attempting to solve? It is disheartening to see the government establish more and more control.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-cong.../2426/text

Just because I can, for now!
[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.relatably.com%2Fm%2F...KK.jpg&f=1]
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Say what you want about that bill, just don't encourage anyone to boycott Israel, or you could be prosecuted.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-22-2019, 10:57 AM)mikesez Wrote: Say what you want about that bill, just don't encourage anyone to boycott Israel, or you could be prosecuted.

Feel free to start that conversation in a different thread.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-22-2019, 10:45 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Up for consideration, yet again is a bill floating around that could fine you up to $15k per offense for something as innocent as sharing a meme on the internet. Is this more chipping away at the 1st Amendment and to what end? What is this honestly attempting to solve? It is disheartening to see the government establish more and more control.

Context matters. Stupid/silly bills are filed all the time. Who is behind this one and how many co-sponsors or supporters? In other words - is this something Drifter would post and thus not worth worrying about?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(08-22-2019, 12:49 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 10:45 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Up for consideration, yet again is a bill floating around that could fine you up to $15k per offense for something as innocent as sharing a meme on the internet. Is this more chipping away at the 1st Amendment and to what end? What is this honestly attempting to solve? It is disheartening to see the government establish more and more control.

Context matters. Stupid/silly bills are filed all the time. Who is behind this one and how many co-sponsors or supporters? In other words - is this something Drifter would post and thus not worth worrying about?

For the sake of argument, suppose it's legit, as a cursory reading makes it appear to be. Where do you draw the line? "They won't pass it." and they do? "He won't sign it" and he does? "They won't uphold it" and they do? Since we don't agree on much, what would it take for you to resist the government mandating to you a list of "things you may not say under penalty of law"?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-22-2019, 12:49 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: Context matters. Stupid/silly bills are filed all the time. Who is behind this one and how many co-sponsors or supporters? In other words - is this something Drifter would post and thus not worth worrying about?

If you bothered to read the link provided you would have the answers to your question.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm sure there are hundreds of idiotic bills being presented on both sides of the fence.

(08-22-2019, 04:36 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 12:49 PM)Adam2012 Wrote: Context matters. Stupid/silly bills are filed all the time. Who is behind this one and how many co-sponsors or supporters? In other words - is this something Drifter would post and thus not worth worrying about?

If you bothered to read the link provided you would have the answers to your question.

Good point.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2019, 09:50 AM by Adam2012.)

(08-22-2019, 01:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

For the sake of argument, suppose it's legit, as a cursory reading makes it appear to be. Where do you draw the line? "They won't pass it." and they do? "He won't sign it" and he does? "They won't uphold it" and they do? Since we don't agree on much, what would it take for you to resist the government mandating to you a list of "things you may not say under penalty of law"?

Of course it's "legit", in the sense of any bill being filed is legit. What I was trying to get from the OP was his sense of any real possibility that this bill will get anywhere. Bills like this are a dime a dozen. It just seems that a number of right-wingers love to pretend to be afraid that someone is out to get them - that the gubmint is going to take something away from them. It's just so drama queenish.

As to your question: The answer is pretty obvious and surely you know that. And yes, I will call you Shirley. Since we live in a democratic republic your only option is to organize against the new law, vote for people who oppose the law, and try to elect a president who will select Supreme Court judges who will find it unconstitutional. Duh. You got a better idea? Please don't tell me some movie fantasy about grabbing your AK and manning the ramparts. Join the Resistance! and all that silliness? Please.

(08-23-2019, 09:49 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 01:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: For the sake of argument, suppose it's legit, as a cursory reading makes it appear to be. Where do you draw the line? "They won't pass it." and they do? "He won't sign it" and he does? "They won't uphold it" and they do? Since we don't agree on much, what would it take for you to resist the government mandating to you a list of "things you may not say under penalty of law"?

Of course it's "legit", in the sense of any bill being filed is legit. What I was trying to get from the OP was his sense of any real possibility that this bill will get anywhere. Bills like this are a dime a dozen. It just seems that a number of right-wingers love to pretend to be afraid that someone is out to get them - that the gubmint is going to take something away from them. It's just so drama queenish.

As to your question: The answer is pretty obvious and surely you know that. And yes, I will call you Shirley. Since we live in a democratic republic your only option is to organize against the new law, vote for people who oppose the law, and try to elect a president who will select Supreme Court judges who will find it unconstitutional. Duh. You got a better idea? Please don't tell me some movie fantasy about grabbing your AK and manning the ramparts. Join the Resistance! and all that silliness? Please.

I don't own an AK.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-23-2019, 10:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 09:49 AM)Adam2012 Wrote: Of course it's "legit", in the sense of any bill being filed is legit. What I was trying to get from the OP was his sense of any real possibility that this bill will get anywhere. Bills like this are a dime a dozen. It just seems that a number of right-wingers love to pretend to be afraid that someone is out to get them - that the gubmint is going to take something away from them. It's just so drama queenish.

I don't own an AK.

So that's your response? So why did you ask? You were going to present some fantasy about manning the ramparts?

(08-25-2019, 09:15 AM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(08-23-2019, 10:42 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't own an AK.

So that's your response? So why did you ask? You were going to present some fantasy about manning the ramparts?

Asking you a question doesn't require me to present anything. I was interested in your perspective, knowing of course that it would be accompanied by your usual attempts at sarcasm and mockery. I just thought you might be able give a cogent response that would give me insight into your worldview. I understand your belief that armed rebellion is intractable in modern times though I don't share it. You believe that civil action is the only means at your disposal while I believe that uncivil action is also available to us should the need arise, a view shared by the Founding Fathers and authors of our governmental structure. Loyalists of your stripe said the same thing in 1776 and history records their error for all to see.