Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Quincy Williams update

Apologies if already posted...

https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...60064?s=20

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

On the bright side, he will have had as much playing time in the preseason as most of the starters.

On the dark side, I gotta think his chances off seeing the field against KC are slim and none.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

(08-24-2019, 07:35 AM)PF* Wrote: On the bright side, he will have had as much playing time in the preseason as most of the starters.

On the dark side, I gotta think his chances off seeing the field against KC are slim and none.
Doug has already said he is open to starting them and pulling them if they are lost.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I have a feeling Williams is already being shown tape of Travis Kelce.

I do think he'll start if physically able. If he's abused early on we'll probably see Goode or Alexander take over at will.

As I and many of us expected, the problem he really faces is being asked to start as a rookie from Murray State week 1 without any NFL game reps. Preseason would of been a huge help for this kid. I would expect Andy Reid to target him on the field, hopefully we are ready to counter.

(08-24-2019, 10:50 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: As I and many of us expected, the problem he really faces is being asked to start as a rookie from Murray State week 1 without any NFL game reps. Preseason would of been a huge help for this kid. I would expect Andy Reid to target him on the field, hopefully we are ready to counter.

He can succeed even being a LB from a very small school.

Lee Woodall was a hit for the 49ers from Westchester.  John Mobley had early success from Kutztown st.  Just last year, Darius Leonard won any number of honors as a rookie LB from South Carolina St.

But I think early on, the lack of preseason reps may hurt him, especially against a sophisticated passing attack and savvy veteran like Kelce.

(08-24-2019, 11:13 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 10:50 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: As I and many of us expected, the problem he really faces is being asked to start as a rookie from Murray State week 1 without any NFL game reps. Preseason would of been a huge help for this kid. I would expect Andy Reid to target him on the field, hopefully we are ready to counter.

He can succeed even being a LB from a very small school.

Lee Woodall was a hit for the 49ers from Westchester.  John Mobley had early success from Kutztown st.  Just last year, Darius Leonard won any number of honors as a rookie LB from South Carolina St.

But I think early on, the lack of preseason reps may hurt him, especially against a sophisticated passing attack and savvy veteran like Kelce.

Oh, I didn’t mean it like he can’t succeed. Ofcourse he can! I just ment early in the season I’d expect him to be targeted early and often more so because no preseason reps.

(08-24-2019, 11:22 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 11:13 AM)Bullseye Wrote: He can succeed even being a LB from a very small school.

Oh, I didn’t mean it like he can’t succeed. Ofcourse he can! I just ment early in the season I’d expect him to be targeted early and often more so because no preseason reps.

That makes sense.

I'm betting there has been and will be lots of cramming with video clips of Kelce and the Chiefs' offense during rehab.

Whether he comes back or not in time for KC, I think Mahomes will be able to exploit our linebackers unless our front line can really harass him. The linebackers are the defense Achilles heel.

(08-24-2019, 12:13 PM)burt1jason Wrote: Whether he comes back or not in time for KC, I think Mahomes will be able to exploit our linebackers unless our front line can really harass him. The linebackers are the defense Achilles heel.

While he's no Ray Lewis, I don't think Jack is much of a liability  I think his athleticism as a mike puts him in the upper half of the league.  I don't see many Mike LBs making the return he made against the Jets or the INT he made in Pittsburgh in the playoffs in 2017, and I especially don't see most mikes making the play he made against the Patriots when he wasn't down.

To the degree we play a base defense with a SAM, if Allen is the SAM, I don't think he is a weakness there, either.  He's strong at the point of attack, can cover well, and can definitely rush the passer.  If it's Jacobs at SAM, then yes, that can be considered a liability.

I don't know enough about Quincy Williams to definitively state he is a liability, but considering his youth and the lack of reps in training camp and preseason, that has to be the rebuttable presumption in my mind.  However, if marrone's assessment of his speed is accurate, the presumption of him being a liability may be short lived.

(08-24-2019, 12:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 12:13 PM)burt1jason Wrote: ...The linebackers are the defense Achilles heel.

While he's no Ray Lewis, I don't think Jack is much of a liability  ...

Agreed.

Jack is no liability.  Really the SAM isn't much of one either as it's rarely used. 

The will is a weak spot unless/until Williams can prove otherwise.

(08-24-2019, 01:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 12:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote: While he's no Ray Lewis, I don't think Jack is much of a liability  ...

Agreed.

Jack is no liability.  Really the SAM isn't much of one either as it's rarely used. 

To me, SS is more of a liability than any other position, followed by Will.

Regarding Kelce, when we played KC last season does anyone remember who covered him? Gipson? Telvin? Hayden? Jalen? I can’t imagine them letting Quincy handle Kelce week 1. Maybe Jarrod Wilson will be up for the task.

(08-24-2019, 02:03 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Regarding Kelce, when we played KC last season does anyone remember who covered him? Gipson? Telvin? Hayden? Jalen? I can’t imagine them letting Quincy handle Kelce week 1. Maybe Jarrod Wilson will be up for the task.

Reid did what he could to create mismatches with Kelce on various defenders and I'm sure he will again. 

That said, Wash seemed bent on having Gipson try to stick with him, but the chefs formations and pre-snap motion still had Kelce covered by LBs at different points in the game.

KC offense is going to abuse everyone in all fairness if we don't hit Mahomes early and often.
No pain, no gain.

(08-24-2019, 01:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 01:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Agreed.

To me, SS is more of a liability than any other position, followed by Will.

Harrison is the SS. I’m more comfortable with Harrison than I am with Wilson at FS. Especially going against a high powered passing attack.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-24-2019, 04:53 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 01:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: To me, SS is more of a liability than any other position, followed by Will.

Harrison is the SS. I’m more comfortable with Harrison than I am with Wilson at FS. Especially going against a high powered passing attack.

This whole thing is a little funny. The local beat guys are about 50/50 split on which guy is the SS and which is the FS while Wash speaks in generalities and praises versatility without directly saying who's playing which spot. 

I think they'll switch and disguise coverage some, but Harrison will ultimately be in the box more than Wilson will. 
I also think we'll see fewer single high looks this year.

Glad to hear his recovery is on schedule. Don't worry Josh Allen will just stink eye them into submision.

(08-24-2019, 04:53 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 01:16 PM)Bullseye Wrote: To me, SS is more of a liability than any other position, followed by Will.

Damn it!  I keep putting Wilson at SS for whatever reason.

I need to write 100 sentences "Wilson is a FS NOT a SS."

Wallbash

(08-25-2019, 10:12 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-24-2019, 04:53 PM)knarnn Wrote: Harrison is the SS. I’m more comfortable with Harrison than I am with Wilson at FS. Especially going against a high powered passing attack.

Damn it!  I keep putting Wilson at SS for whatever reason.

I need to write 100 sentences "Wilson is a FS NOT a SS."

Wallbash

Did I miss something?

While last year Wilson was the FS and Harrison was the SS, I thought it was settled that they switched positions for this season. 
'02