Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colts season ticketholders demand refunds as Andrew Luck retires

Colts season ticketholders demand refunds as Andrew Luck retires

Some Indianapolis Colts  fans are having buyer’s remorse this week after star quarterback Andrew Luck’s sudden decision to retire.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/col...retirement
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Our longsnapper, former clot, has offered to buy anyone's tickets and donate them to the local Indy kids hospital.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Just another example of the selfish "me first" and "instant gratification" entitled mentality in today's society.  I personally don't buy tickets to see any one particular player, it's a TEAM sport and ENTERTAINMENT.  These guys work hard, sacrifice not only physically but also mentally, especially if they happen to have started a young family and the do it for our entertainment.  Yes they earn a pretty good salary, but it comes at a price.

These season ticket holders are not fans of the team or the game.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

My 4 year old daughter has more sense than those people.

On top of what JIB said, I’d also assume some of the ticket holders are bandwagon fans when they’re good or supposed to be good. Or just spent a [BLEEP] ton of money they shouldn’t have.

Good for whoever the longsnapper is. Sounds like a standup guy. I gues tinker is gone. Is it bad I don’t know our long snapper?

I can't blame them. People work hard to buy season tickets. They aren't cheap. It's a major investment. You think this team finally have all the pieces to make it to the Superbowl after years of neglect by Ryan Grigson. You have a very good O-Line, a solid running game, more than one competent receiver, a good defense and most importantly, a star QB who is coming off a brilliant season. You spend that hard earned money that you saved and cut back on luxuries, all year for and the most important piece, the "motor" of that offense, announces he is retiring out of nowhere. Now, that thing you've scrimped and saved all year for, is useless. You have no chance at a Superbowl, because the "hot rod engine" that you thought you had motoring your team is being replaced with a moped engine. I can see why they are ticked off. What good is having a Lamborghini with custom paint, custom wheels and all the bells and whistles, if it is being run with a 4 cylinder engine? That's basically what the Colts have now.

(08-26-2019, 05:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I can't blame them. People work hard to buy season tickets. They aren't cheap. It's a major investment. You think this team finally have all the pieces to make it to the Superbowl after years of neglect by Ryan Grigson. You have a very good O-Line, a solid running game, more than one competent receiver, a good defense and most importantly, a star QB who is coming off a brilliant season. You spend that hard earned money that you saved and cut back on luxuries, all year for and the most important piece, the "motor" of that offense, announces he is retiring out of nowhere. Now, that thing you've scrimped and saved all year for, is useless. You have no chance at a Superbowl, because the "hot rod engine" that you thought you had motoring your team is being replaced with a moped engine. I can see why they are ticked off. What good is having a Lamborghini with custom paint, custom wheels and all the bells and whistles, if it is being run with a 4 cylinder engine? That's basically what the Colts have now.

I’d say those are bandwagoners.  I’d also say, if they don’t have the money, they shouldn’t buy the tickets.

(08-26-2019, 05:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I can't blame them. People work hard to buy season tickets. They aren't cheap. It's a major investment. You think this team finally have all the pieces to make it to the Superbowl after years of neglect by Ryan Grigson. You have a very good O-Line, a solid running game, more than one competent receiver, a good defense and most importantly, a star QB who is coming off a brilliant season. You spend that hard earned money that you saved and cut back on luxuries, all year for and the most important piece, the "motor" of that offense, announces he is retiring out of nowhere. Now, that thing you've scrimped and saved all year for, is useless. You have no chance at a Superbowl, because the "hot rod engine" that you thought you had motoring your team is being replaced with a moped engine. I can see why they are ticked off. What good is having a Lamborghini with custom paint, custom wheels and all the bells and whistles, if it is being run with a 4 cylinder engine? That's basically what the Colts have now.

So, had Luck played and sustained a season ending injury on the first play of the first game would that be any different? Football is played by human beings not a bunch of robots. Luck stated that he’s been aggressively rehabbing his calf since April in hopes that the injury would heal and he’d be ready to play. It apparently didn’t heal well enough to the point that he thought he would be able to effectively perform AND protect himself. The fact that he tried to get right most of the offseason and up to this point shows me that he was anything but selfish and that clot fans are nothing but a bunch of selfish losers.
Jaguars Fundamentalist

(08-26-2019, 04:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Just another example of the selfish "me first" and "instant gratification" entitled mentality in today's society.  I personally don't buy tickets to see any one particular player, it's a TEAM sport and ENTERTAINMENT.  These guys work hard, sacrifice not only physically but also mentally, especially if they happen to have started a young family and the do it for our entertainment.  Yes they earn a pretty good salary, but it comes at a price.

Initially I wasn't going to speak of an "entitled" mentality among those Colts fans, but as I started with the response, the inevitable conclusion is that is an apt description of their mindset.

When you enter into a contract with the team to buy season tickets, there are no conditions within the contract demanding a certain player be on the team. 

Now there are circumstances by which fans will ultimately decide not to buy season tickets.  A decline in health of you or a loved one, or financial distress, or relocation can make the determination to disinvest in season tickets an unwelcome necessity for fans.  But aside from serious things of that nature that impact you personally, fans wanting to surrender their season tickets because a player retired (granted a very important one) reeks of entitlement.

As it stands, the Colts have had about 21 years out of the last 23 where they have had superlative QB play, going from Peyton Manning to Luck, with a one year gap in between them because of Manning's neck injury, and one year missed by Luck due to injury.  That puts them in very very rare company.  The 49ers went from Joe Montana to Steve Young.  The Packers went from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers.  The Patriots went from Drew Bledsoe (admittedly a notch below the others but still a Super Bowl and Pro Bowl QB) to Tom Brady (GOAT).  Otherwise, most franchises have large gaps between great QBs, if they ever have a great QB at all.

Granted, people are free to do what they will with their money, but under these circumstances, they are conditional fans.  To penalize the organization by withdrawing your support because a player decides to retire is akin to a temper tantrum, taking your ball and going home.

There is no Divine right to a great QB or great offense or a winning team, especially when you've already had two hall of fame QBs and one who was on a possible HOF trajectory were he able to continue playing.

To me, the fans surrendering their season tickets because of this are not Colts fans.  They are fans of the Colts when they have a great QB.  They are fans of the Colts when they have a reasonable expectation to contend.  They should never be grouped with hardcore fans of any NFL team (and no, having season tickets is not a prerequisite of being a hardcore fan)

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-26-2019, 05:46 PM)Jags Wrote:

I’d say those are bandwagoners.  I’d also say, if they don’t have the money, they shouldn’t buy the tickets.

I call those hardcore fans. Anyone that pays that much money for season tickets is not a bandwagon fan. Bandwagon fans watch maybe 3-7 games a year from the comfort of their own couch.

(08-26-2019, 09:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 04:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Just another example of the selfish "me first" and "instant gratification" entitled mentality in today's society.  I personally don't buy tickets to see any one particular player, it's a TEAM sport and ENTERTAINMENT.  These guys work hard, sacrifice not only physically but also mentally, especially if they happen to have started a young family and the do it for our entertainment.  Yes they earn a pretty good salary, but it comes at a price.

Initially I wasn't going to speak of an "entitled" mentality among those Colts fans, but as I started with the response, the inevitable conclusion is  that is an apt description of their mindset.

When you enter into a contract with the team to buy season tickets, there are no conditions within the contract demanding a certain player be on the team. 

Now there are circumstances by which fans will ultimately decide not to buy season tickets.  A decline in health of you or a loved one, or financial distress, or relocation can make the determination to disinvest in season tickets an unwelcome necessity for fans.  But aside from serious things of that nature that impact you personally, fans wanting to surrender their season tickets because a player retired (granted a very important one) reeks of entitlement.

As it stands, the Colts have had about 21 years out of the last 23 where they have had superlative QB play, going from Peyton Manning to Luck, with a one year gap in between them because of Manning's neck injury, and one year missed by Luck due to injury.  That puts them in very very rare company.  The 49ers went from Joe Montana to Steve Young.  The Packers went from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers.  The Patriots went from Drew Bledsoe (admittedly a notch below the others but still a Super Bowl and Pro Bowl QB) to Tom Brady (GOAT).  Otherwise, most franchises have large gaps between great QBs, if they ever have a great QB at all.

Granted, people are free to do what they will with their money, but under these circumstances, they are conditional fans.  To penalize the organization by withdrawing your support because a player decides to retire is akin to a temper tantrum, taking your ball and going home.

There is no Divine right to a great QB or great offense or a winning team, especially when you've already had two hall of fame QBs and one who was on a possible HOF trajectory were he able to continue playing.

To me, the fans surrendering their season tickets because of this are not Colts fans.  They are fans of the Colts when they have a great QB.  They are fans of the Colts when they have a reasonable expectation to contend.  They should never be grouped with hardcore fans of any NFL team (and no, having season tickets is not a prerequisite of being a hardcore fan)

I don't know if I'd call them conditional fans. The truth is, when you have a history of winning, you get used to that feeling. Yes, there is entitlement there, but it's human nature to become accustomed to what you know. We are on the outside of that world, because we have never had a true "star QB" or a history of consistent winning. If we were in the same situation as the Colts fans are currently in, I bet the feelings on this board would be much different. It's easy to say they shouldn't "expect" to have a certain type of team on the field, but when you are this close to the start of the season and the rug is pulled out from under you, I can sympathize with their anger. It's not like he tore an MCL or ACL or broke a major bone. He retired. That is something many people plan for way ahead of time, but he even admitted that he only thought of retirement 2 weeks ago, max. It's because of his lack of progress recuperating from a ankle sprain/calf strain that he says he made this decision. In the grand scheme of football injuries, those seem pretty mild. Instead, it appeared more like he lost his passion for the game and that does not go away overnight. I'm not buying that just came on 2 weeks ago. It had to be something that he thought about during the offseason. For most fans, it's not that Luck retired, it's the timing of it. If he would have retired in the offseason, this wouldn't be a big issue. Yes, Colts fans would be disappointed, but I doubt many would be angered, like they are now. He gave them no warning, but he is supposed to be the leader of the team. He drops a bombshell that no one saw coming and basically destroys any chances they had of a Superbowl or even the playoffs. Regardless of what he has done for Indy in the past, this is a "what have you done for me lately" kind of sport and this was supposed to be the Colts best team in years, but now, he decides to walk away? I don't get it and I can see why Colts fans don't get it either. While I can understand what they are feeling, I don't feel sorry for them per se. I'm a Jags fan and their loss is our gain, so I'm all smiles.  Banana

(08-26-2019, 07:31 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote:

So, had Luck played and sustained a season ending injury on the first play of the first game would that be any different? Football is played by human beings not a bunch of robots. Luck stated that he’s been aggressively rehabbing his calf since April in hopes that the injury would heal and he’d be ready to play. It apparently didn’t heal well enough to the point that he thought he would be able to effectively perform AND protect himself. The fact that he tried to get right most of the offseason and up to this point shows me that he was anything but selfish and that clot fans are nothing but a bunch of selfish losers.

Absolutely it would be different. Even if he missed several games due to the current injury, Indy would still have a chance, but instead, he chose to give up before the season even started. To me, that is selfish. Quitting right before the season begins is wrong.

(08-26-2019, 11:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 07:31 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: So, had Luck played and sustained a season ending injury on the first play of the first game would that be any different? Football is played by human beings not a bunch of robots. Luck stated that he’s been aggressively rehabbing his calf since April in hopes that the injury would heal and he’d be ready to play. It apparently didn’t heal well enough to the point that he thought he would be able to effectively perform AND protect himself. The fact that he tried to get right most of the offseason and up to this point shows me that he was anything but selfish and that clot fans are nothing but a bunch of selfish losers.

Absolutely it would be different. Even if he missed several games due to the current injury, Indy would still have a chance, but instead, he chose to give up before the season even started. To me, that is selfish. Quitting right before the season begins is wrong.

Seems to me the team delayed that decision themselves to a large extent.  

Regardless, couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise.  Softest fans in the league.  Front running candy canes who think they are entitled to wins being handed to them.

(08-27-2019, 06:56 AM)nate Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 11:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Absolutely it would be different. Even if he missed several games due to the current injury, Indy would still have a chance, but instead, he chose to give up before the season even started. To me, that is selfish. Quitting right before the season begins is wrong.

Seems to me the team delayed that decision themselves to a large extent.  

Regardless, couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise.  Softest fans in the league.  Front running candy canes who think they are entitled to wins being handed to them.

What this guy said, and I think it may be a large part of the problem. It seems the Colts may have known Luck wasn't going to play, and let him hang around to sell tickets. I'm sure some of those fans feel lied to. They should.

(08-26-2019, 07:31 PM)Eye of the Storm Wrote: So, had Luck played and sustained a season ending injury on the first play of the first game would that be any different? Football is played by human beings not a bunch of robots. Luck stated that he’s been aggressively rehabbing his calf since April in hopes that the injury would heal and he’d be ready to play. It apparently didn’t heal well enough to the point that he thought he would be able to effectively perform AND protect himself. The fact that he tried to get right most of the offseason and up to this point shows me that he was anything but selfish and that clot fans are nothing but a bunch of selfish losers.

Lol, you do realize he's been injured for almost three years now, right? You ever suffered a kidney laceration? Tore a labrum? Tried to be a professional athlete with a broken down body? Selfish my [BLEEP], if the body goes then it goes. Selfish would be hanging on to your spot and salary when you know it's already over.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 08:03 AM by RicoTx.)

(08-26-2019, 05:46 PM)Jags Wrote:

Ding...ding...ding...

We have a winner.

So it's selfish that he should be thinking about something as silly as his family and his long term health?  Good grief...some people.  I have not seen one single player take this stance.  Not a one.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-26-2019, 04:24 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Our longsnapper, former clot, has offered to buy anyone's tickets and donate them to the local Indy kids hospital.

got dang I miss our +1 button

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 01:54 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Lol ... and I was mad when Telvin Smith quit on us.  Dang, now sure how I would have reacted if I had an investment in Andrew Luck and the Colts.  I think I know the answer ....

[Image: giphy.gif]

In my opinion people that view season tickets as an "investment" really don't have their priorities in order.  Purchasing real estate is an investment.  Purchasing season tickets is no different than purchasing a one year pass to a theme park like Disney.  It is discretionary (entertainment).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 02:03 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(08-27-2019, 01:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: In my opinion people that view season tickets as an "investment" really don't have their priorities in order.  Purchasing real estate is an investment.  Purchasing season tickets is no different than purchasing a one year pass to a theme park like Disney.  It is discretionary (entertainment).

Ever here of NFL Ticket Exchange and Stub Hub.  There are currently 298 people exploring the thousand plus tickets listed on Stub Hub.  I'm a capitalist but I do keep 2 for pleasure.

Regarding the Disney analogy. there were plenty of weeks over the past 10 seasons that I swear we had Dumbo drafting our team, had Dopey coaching our team, and topped it off with Goofy playing QB.  Yes, at times, going to the Jags game was comparable to seeing a comedy act that makes people laugh and cry.    Smile