Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Colts season ticketholders demand refunds as Andrew Luck retires

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 02:51 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-27-2019, 06:56 AM)nate Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 11:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Absolutely it would be different. Even if he missed several games due to the current injury, Indy would still have a chance, but instead, he chose to give up before the season even started. To me, that is selfish. Quitting right before the season begins is wrong.

Seems to me the team delayed that decision themselves to a large extent.  

Regardless, couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise.  Softest fans in the league.  Front running candy canes who think they are entitled to wins being handed to them.

It's just now coming out that the team knew months ago that Luck was considering retirement and basically talked him into coming back. If this is true, then that changes everything in my eyes. I wish Luck would have said this at his press conference. He made it sound like the retirement decision was spur of the moment. If the Colts knew months ago, the blame should be squarely on the front office.

(08-27-2019, 07:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-26-2019, 11:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Absolutely it would be different. Even if he missed several games due to the current injury, Indy would still have a chance, but instead, he chose to give up before the season even started. To me, that is selfish. Quitting right before the season begins is wrong.

Lol, you do realize he's been injured for almost three years now, right? You ever suffered a kidney laceration? Tore a labrum? Tried to be a professional athlete with a broken down body? Selfish my [BLEEP], if the body goes then it goes. Selfish would be hanging on to your spot and salary when you know it's already over.

Dude, you have no idea what I've been through. I've had 5 herniated discs, stenosis and I even worked a blue collar job for months, not knowing I had a fractured vertebrae from a car accident that I returned to work from, the very next day. That's just the major stuff. I know what pain is and sometimes, you just have to work through it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-27-2019, 02:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 06:56 AM)nate Wrote: Seems to me the team delayed that decision themselves to a large extent.  

Regardless, couldn’t happen to a more deserving franchise.  Softest fans in the league.  Front running candy canes who think they are entitled to wins being handed to them.

It's just now coming out that the team knew months ago that Luck was considering retirement and basically talked him into coming back. If this is true, then that changes everything in my eyes. I wish Luck would have said this at his press conference. He made it sound like the retirement decision was spur of the moment. If the Colts knew months ago, the blame should be squarely on the front office.
Change your mind in which way? 

I look it as... the business (colts) best employee (Luck) was mulling retirement so they did what they could to convince the employee to stay. See nothing wrong with that...

(08-27-2019, 02:51 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 02:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's just now coming out that the team knew months ago that Luck was considering retirement and basically talked him into coming back. If this is true, then that changes everything in my eyes. I wish Luck would have said this at his press conference. He made it sound like the retirement decision was spur of the moment. If the Colts knew months ago, the blame should be squarely on the front office.
Change your mind in which way? 

I look it as... the business (colts) best employee (Luck) was mulling retirement so they did what they could to convince the employee to stay. See nothing wrong with that...

If they knew he was seriously considering retirement and might be a "no go" this season, they should have at least made an effort to bring in a better backup QB.

As disappointing as it was to hear Andrew Luck receive boos from some of the fans after word leaked of his retirement, make no mistake, all 32 teams also have “those” type of fans. It’s like having tall fans, short fans, black fans, white fans, gay fans, straight fans, big fans, small fans, krazy fans, and sane fans .. etc.  I wouldn't risk going cross-eyed looking down my nose, at Colts fans as a whole (or Tebow fans). Trust me the majority of the Colts fan base are just as normal and decent human beings as the Jaguars, Titans, and Texans fan base. For the most part, NFL fans in general are pretty decent hard working people.

The Colts don’t have a monopoly on having some low class fans … besides, those boos were piped in to test the new piping system. Tongue

+1

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

(08-27-2019, 02:03 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 01:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: In my opinion people that view season tickets as an "investment" really don't have their priorities in order.  Purchasing real estate is an investment.  Purchasing season tickets is no different than purchasing a one year pass to a theme park like Disney.  It is discretionary (entertainment).

Ever here of NFL Ticket Exchange and Stub Hub.  There are currently 298 people exploring the thousand plus tickets listed on Stub Hub.  I'm a capitalist but I do keep 2 for pleasure.

Regarding the Disney analogy. there were plenty of weeks over the past 10 seasons that I swear we had Dumbo drafting our team, had Dopey coaching our team, and topped it off with Goofy playing QB.  Yes, at times, going to the Jags game was comparable to seeing a comedy act that makes people laugh and cry.    Smile

I can understand some people buying tickets hoping to "scalp" them for more than face value thinking that it's an "investment", but one must also understand and realize that any investment comes with certain risks.  Just my own opinion, but someone that buys season tickets as an "investment" isn't really a fan of the team and is pretty ignorant when it comes to investing.  Yes you might get a small short term return on your "investment", but it's just one tier above buying lottery tickets.  Any NFL team can have a ticket that is a "hot buy" and at the same time those tickets might be "garbage".

I have owned 2 season tickets and a parking pass from near the beginning.  I remember when I wasn't able to use them during the down years that I couldn't even give them away.  That would have been a very bad "investment" had I looked at season tickets that way.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-27-2019, 04:28 PM)Sammy Wrote:  … besides, those boos were piped in to test the new piping system. Tongue

Very well done!

(08-27-2019, 02:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 06:56 AM)nate Wrote: Seems to me the team delayed that decision themselves to a large extent.  

(08-27-2019, 07:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, you do realize he's been injured for almost three years now, right? You ever suffered a kidney laceration? Tore a labrum? Tried to be a professional athlete with a broken down body? Selfish my [BLEEP], if the body goes then it goes. Selfish would be hanging on to your spot and salary when you know it's already over.

Dude, you have no idea what I've been through. I've had 5 herniated discs, stenosis and I even worked a blue collar job for months, not knowing I had a fractured vertebrae from a car accident that I returned to work from, the very next day. That's just the major stuff. I know what pain is and sometimes, you just have to work through it.

Dude, none of that compares to the physical demands of pro football, and Luck doesnt have to work through it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-27-2019, 10:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 02:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's just now coming out that the team knew months ago that Luck was considering retirement and basically talked him into coming back. If this is true, then that changes everything in my eyes. I wish Luck would have said this at his press conference. He made it sound like the retirement decision was spur of the moment. If the Colts knew months ago, the blame should be squarely on the front office.

Dude, none of that compares to the physical demands of pro football, and Luck doesnt have to work through it.

I believe in keeping your word. The team's whole season depends on him. If you tell the team you are "in" for this year, I don't believe in quitting a week before the season starts. You can sit out as many games as it takes to fully recover. That is fully understandable, but to just give up a week before the season is wrong. With that said, if the team knew he was considering retirement months ago, they should've been looking for a reliable backup QB. Brissett isn't it.

(08-27-2019, 02:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 02:51 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Change your mind in which way? 

If they knew he was seriously considering retirement and might be a "no go" this season, they should have at least made an effort to bring in a better backup QB.

Brissett is widely viewed as one of the best backups in the entire league. You keep pushing your narrative that hes one of the worst. You are alone in that opinion.

(08-27-2019, 10:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 10:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Dude, none of that compares to the physical demands of pro football, and Luck doesnt have to work through it.

I believe in keeping your word. The team's whole season depends on him. If you tell the team you are "in" for this year, I don't believe in quitting a week before the season starts. You can sit out as many games as it takes to fully recover. That is fully understandable, but to just give up a week before the season is wrong. With that said, if the team knew he was considering retirement months ago, they should've been looking for a reliable backup QB. Brissett isn't it.

Keeping your word? In a league where players contracts aren't guaranteed? Your thinking is quaint, naive, but quaint nonetheless. And you assume he will fully recover, for all we know retirement is the only way for that to happen. No, if it's time for him to get out then he needs to do it, not cling to the spot after he's mentally and physically done.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 11:34 PM by Eric1.)

(08-27-2019, 10:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Dude, none of that compares to the physical demands of pro football, and Luck doesnt have to work through it.

Did you even watch his press conference (obviously you didn't)? I keep seeing people comment their opinions on this matter, but it's obvious they didn't even take the 20 minutes to watch/listen to his press conference for an explanation from his own mouth.. He clearly says that he didn't think about retirement, or talk to the team about it until 1 1/2 - 2 weeks ago. Where you/other people keep coming up with this "the team knew for months/since March" is nothing but bull [BLEEP].

He clearly said that this calf/lower leg/ankle injury isn't something new. It's multiple different things going on in that leg and hes been dealing with it for quite awhile now (going back to last season) and hoped it would get better throughout the off season etc. It's obvious that it just kept getting worse (likely because he simply needs rest/time to heal and you don't have that amount of time in the NFL) which is why he started thinking/talking with the team about retirement 2 weeks ago.

And what reliable QB are they going to find 1 month - 2 weeks before the season starts? It's easy to say, "just find a better player 4Head", but that's not reality, especially at that/this time of the year. Teams go years without finding a decent QB with endless amounts of time/planning/drafting and you're out here acting like they can just find some guy within 2 weeks notice.

Brissett gives them the best chance and he deserves another chance honestly. Not saying it's a good option, but it's their best option. Roll the dice with him this season and address the position next off season.

(08-27-2019, 11:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 10:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I believe in keeping your word. The team's whole season depends on him. If you tell the team you are "in" for this year, I don't believe in quitting a week before the season starts. You can sit out as many games as it takes to fully recover. That is fully understandable, but to just give up a week before the season is wrong. With that said, if the team knew he was considering retirement months ago, they should've been looking for a reliable backup QB. Brissett isn't it.

Keeping your word? In a league where players contracts aren't guaranteed? Your thinking is quaint, naive, but quaint nonetheless. And you assume he will fully recover, for all we know retirement is the only way for that to happen. No, if it's time for him to get out then he needs to do it, not cling to the spot after he's mentally and physically done.
Here is the thing. He hasn't practiced with the team since March or so. He hasn't been grinding through anything. It's not like he tried to come back and his body couldn't make it through camp.

The guy most likely was convinced when he got hurt and it didn't get better to stay on the team. He had to make a decision by cuts, but he waited instead of just ending it in April when he knew he was done.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Quick question for our fans, who remember David Garrard:

David couldn't win the job his last year here, and was cut before the season began. The reason he couldn't win the job was because he was hurt a hell of a lot more than he was letting on. When he signed with the Jets and then the Dolphins, I don't think he ever played a game for either of them despite being named the starting QB because his back sucked.

Now, it seems Andrew Luck can barely walk right now. 8 weeks in, I'm guessing he still won't be able to run (or throw). You guys still really think it's "won't" not "can't" as it pertains to Luck's ability? Personally, I think he did the colts a favor by not stringing them along. The colts really wanted him to play this season, and he CAN'T do it, and doesn't want to wait another year just to get blown up by 3 of the toughest defenses in the League and start over.

And after 2008, we Jags fans don't get to lip other franchises fans. SOME clots are whiners, just like any other fanbase. Those waving their fists at "snowflake kids today" don't remember Philadelphia fans from the freakin' 70s. It's just as good or bad as it ever was, we just gotta hear about it more from every idiot with a twitter account. I mean, we call them the twinks for a reason, but this is a little overboard.

These folks demanding money back should be told to pound sand. I bet those [BLEEP] didn't have any problem when the franchise gamed the system by intentionally tanking a season to obtain the Geico caveman. Karma is a [BLEEP] folks. It's real.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(08-27-2019, 11:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 10:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I believe in keeping your word. The team's whole season depends on him. If you tell the team you are "in" for this year, I don't believe in quitting a week before the season starts. You can sit out as many games as it takes to fully recover. That is fully understandable, but to just give up a week before the season is wrong. With that said, if the team knew he was considering retirement months ago, they should've been looking for a reliable backup QB. Brissett isn't it.

Did you even watch his press conference (obviously you didn't)? I keep seeing people comment their opinions on this matter, but it's obvious they didn't even take the 20 minutes to watch/listen to his press conference for an explanation from his own mouth.. He clearly says that he didn't think about retirement, or talk to the team about it until 1 1/2 - 2 weeks ago. Where you/other people keep coming up with this "the team knew for months/since March" is nothing but bull [BLEEP].

He clearly said that this calf/lower leg/ankle injury isn't something new. It's multiple different things going on in that leg and hes been dealing with it for quite awhile now (going back to last season) and hoped it would get better throughout the off season etc. It's obvious that it just kept getting worse (likely because he simply needs rest/time to heal and you don't have that amount of time in the NFL) which is why he started thinking/talking with the team about retirement 2 weeks ago.

And what reliable QB are they going to find 1 month - 2 weeks before the season starts? It's easy to say, "just find a better player 4Head", but that's not reality, especially at that/this time of the year. Teams go years without finding a decent QB with endless amounts of time/planning/drafting and you're out here acting like they can just find some guy within 2 weeks notice.

Brissett gives them the best chance and he deserves another chance honestly. Not saying it's a good option, but it's their best option. Roll the dice with him this season and address the position next off season.

It was reported on ESPN that he informed the team he was thinking about retiring months ago and they basically talked him into coming back. Apparently, YOU didn't see that. And I did watch Luck's press conference. All of it.

(08-28-2019, 03:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 11:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Did you even watch his press conference (obviously you didn't)? I keep seeing people comment their opinions on this matter, but it's obvious they didn't even take the 20 minutes to watch/listen to his press conference for an explanation from his own mouth.. He clearly says that he didn't think about retirement, or talk to the team about it until 1 1/2 - 2 weeks ago. Where you/other people keep coming up with this "the team knew for months/since March" is nothing but bull [BLEEP].

It was reported on ESPN that he informed the team he was thinking about retiring months ago and they basically talked him into coming back. Apparently, YOU didn't see that. And I did watch Luck's press conference. All of it.

Why would I watch ESPN for sporting news? They're a laughing stock now when it comes to that stuff. Wrong 99% of the time. Only time I bother watching ESPN is for college football and UFC fights.

I'll believe it from the guy's own mouth, rather than some anonymous "source" from ESPN. The team was informed 1 1/2 -2 weeks ago.

Good luck with that clot fans.

(08-28-2019, 06:13 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 03:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It was reported on ESPN that he informed the team he was thinking about retiring months ago and they basically talked him into coming back. Apparently, YOU didn't see that. And I did watch Luck's press conference. All of it.

Why would I watch ESPN for sporting news? They're a laughing stock now when it comes to that stuff. Wrong 99% of the time. Only time I bother watching ESPN is for college football and UFC fights.

I'll believe it from the guy's own mouth, rather than some anonymous "source" from ESPN. The team was informed 1 1/2 -2 weeks ago.

Believe what you wanna believe.

That cuts both ways. Remember when Leftwich was cut a week before the season? I think if a team can cut a player at any time, a player should be able to retire at any time.