Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody still think Minshew will back up NF7?

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2019, 12:09 PM by NH3.)

In my opinion McGough is above and beyond the talent of Minshew to say the least. I feel that McGough should be our backup and Minshew should be on the practice squad.

No TDs in four Pre-Season games. Not One.

NH3...
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd go with McGough and send Minshew to the PS.

agreed
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2019, 11:59 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

If he does, something is very wrong. I don't really like McGough as an option either. Neither has thrown a TD in the preseason. Yes, McGough has rushed for 2, but I wanna see at least one of our backups prove that they can score with their arm. Guys I would be looking at if they are cut are......

1. Brian Hoyer, New England
2. Jarett Stidham, New England
3. Tim Boyle, Green Bay
4. Kyle Lauletta, New York Giants
5. Kyle Sloter, Minnesota
6. Cardale Jones, L.A. Chargers
7. Sean Mannion, Minnesota
8. C.J. Beathard, San Francisco

On Top of that, I would try to swing a player for player deal for RB C.J. Procise of Seattle.

Never thought he was nfl material after first preseason game. Cut bait and move on. Move on from both backup qbs.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019, 04:24 AM by knarnn.)

FWIW he’s played better than Will Grier has for the Panthers:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...touchdown/

Right now he’s about on par with what Cody Kessler was last year. I think that’s a good thing considering he’s a rookie. Sure, you would’ve liked to have seen more but he hasn’t had much of a supporting cast with Wester trying to get him killed on every snap combined with the drops from the WRs and penalties. IIRC, he’s had two TDs called back because of penalties this preseason.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019, 04:28 AM by JagFanatic24.)

Kyle Sloter please!

(08-29-2019, 11:17 PM)NH3 Wrote: In my opinion McGough is above and beyond the talent of Minshew to say the least. I feel that McGouch should be our backup and Minshew should be on the practice squad.

NH3...

Mcgough also has 0 passing TDs. Not one.

4 games playing with practice squad talent around him. Lol, another panic attack.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-30-2019, 04:19 AM)knarnn Wrote: FWIW he’s played better than Will Grier has for the Panthers:

Right now he’s about on par with what Cody Kessler was last year. I think that’s a good thing considering he’s a rookie. Sure, you would’ve liked to have seen more but he hasn’t had much of a supporting cast with Wester trying to get him killed on every snap combined with the drops from the WRs and penalties. IIRC, he’s had two TDs called back because of penalties this preseason.

Really? What is your credentials for playing better? Minshew may not have thrown any picks, but he's played a ton in the preseason and has no touchdowns. Grier definitely hasn't set the world on fire, but he is 34/61 with 2 TD's and 3 INT's. At least the Panthers know he is capable of scoring. He has also taken some chances during the preseason. Minshew has been living off conservative, short passes and comparing Minshew to Kessler is not a good thing. Kessler was miserable last year. He couldn't move the ball at all.

(08-30-2019, 04:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Kyle Sloter please!

(08-29-2019, 11:17 PM)NH3 Wrote: In my opinion McGough is above and beyond the talent of Minshew to say the least. I feel that McGouch should be our backup and Minshew should be on the practice squad.

NH3...

The backups under McGough has moved the ball tremendously better than Minshew by far. Reverse the playing rolls and I would've bet that McGough would have had an passing TD or two, or three...

NH3...
"AZANE"

(08-30-2019, 07:58 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 04:24 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Kyle Sloter please!

The backups under McGough has moved the ball tremendously better than Minshew by far. Reverse the playing rolls and I would've bet that McGough would have had an passing TD or two, or three...

NH3...

Nah, no one on the field could catch the damn ball, hell that guy Brady had 3 catches for 10 yards on like 40 attempts last night. McGough can run better, that's the extent of his skill set.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

In Minshew’s defense, he’s improved quite a bit this preseason for a raw rookie, but McGough did look better. I was really impressed by his scrambling abilities, which was a good thing concerning who he was playing with. With better players around him, I’m sure he would have thrown for TD.

(08-30-2019, 08:23 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: In Minshew’s defense, he’s improved quite a bit this preseason for a raw rookie, but McGough did look better. I was really impressed by his scrambling abilities, which was a good thing concerning who he was playing with. With better players around him, I’m sure he would have thrown for TD.

If the QBs scrambling abilities are what we need to win then we are in big trouble.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019, 08:31 AM by Mikey.)

NH3...

Given the line that he played behind, and the limited time we saw either guy with starter-level talent, I can't say this for certain. Remember when Quinn Gray looked to be lights out every preseason when we put him in against the third stringers?

McGough is more mobile, but I firmly believe that the FO is going to ride this out and stick with the draft pick as the backup. It would be egg on their face to do otherwise.

I still do not believe we have a capable backup on this roster, though. We need to invest in a developmental guy, I simply have no faith in these noodle-armed air raid guys.

(08-29-2019, 11:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If he does, something is very wrong. I don't really like McGough as an option either. Neither has thrown a TD in the preseason. Yes, McGough has rushed for 2, but I wanna see at least one of our backups prove that they can score with their arm. Guys I would be looking at if they are cut are......

1. Brian Hoyer, New England
2. Jarett Stidham, New England
3. Tim Boyle, Green Bay
4. Kyle Lauletta, New York Giants
5. Kyle Sloter, Minnesota
6. Cardale Jones, L.A. Chargers
7. Sean Mannion, Minnesota
8. C.J. Beathard, San Francisco

On Top of that, I would try to swing a player for player deal for RB C.J. Procise of Seattle.

Did anybody else catch the broadcast, where they hinted that we might even consider Etling? Dude is what 8 days on the roster, and seemed to do just fine out there, but was fourth on their depth chart I believe. I could see someone like that making the PS.

Stidham ain't going anywhere, you can take him off the radar, too. Credit for optimism, though!

(08-30-2019, 04:19 AM)knarnn Wrote: FWIW he’s played better than Will Grier has for the Panthers:

Good gravy I thought we were going to see the first ever mid-game cut, that dude doesn't belong on a roster.

Anyone think Minshew will be the backup? I'd say it's really possible. If there's one thing this team's management has shown it's unwarranted arrogance when it comes to their own ability to evaluate QB play.

Sloter is legit man. Love what I've seen from him. I'd also take Beathard as a backup.

Most coaches and OCs go with backups that they know. So who does Flip know? Someone in Philly? Someone in Minny?

(08-30-2019, 09:15 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Sloter is legit man. Love what I've seen from him. I'd also take Beathard as a backup.

Most coaches and OCs go with backups that they know. So who does Flip know? Someone in Philly? Someone in Minny?

Sloter is a real possibility.

(08-30-2019, 08:26 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 04:19 AM)knarnn Wrote: Right now he’s about on par with what Cody Kessler was last year. I think that’s a good thing considering he’s a rookie. Sure, you would’ve liked to have seen more but he hasn’t had much of a supporting cast with Wester trying to get him killed on every snap combined with the drops from the WRs and penalties. IIRC, he’s had two TDs called back because of penalties this preseason.

Good gravy I thought we were going to see the first ever mid-game cut, that dude doesn't belong on a roster.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how they've let Warhop convince them Wester deserved so many snaps this preseason unless they were literally using him as a workhorse to save other tackles from potential injury. I hope that was the strategy.

He's a terrible offensive tackle.  I'll be upset if he's on the 53. Wells and Ogbuehi are better and Richardson may even be a stronger choice. Watching Wester is like watching Chris Reed and Erick Flowers last year. Maybe worse.

(08-30-2019, 09:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 08:26 AM)Mikey Wrote:

For the life of me, I cannot understand how they've let Warhop convince them Wester deserved so many snaps this preseason unless they were literally using him as a workhorse to save other tackles from potential injury. I hope that was the strategy.

He's a terrible offensive tackle.  I'll be upset if he's on the 53. Wells and Ogbuehi are better and Richardson may even be a stronger choice. Watching Wester is like watching Chris Reed and Erick Flowers last year. Maybe worse.

I think if this team could've fielded 53 Westers this preseason they would have.

I believe the FO/Coaching staff favored Minshew. He was given every opportunity. The reality is he did not out-perform McGough/McGoo and lacks the escapability/mobility.
Gotta go with the guy who presents the best chance to win. Not sure the back-up is currently on the roster.
Will be interesting to see what the team does with after cut downs.